What I noticed about dressing (or not) for dinner

jnmrlk

Does it really bother anyone if someone is wearing shorts at dinner? I could see if the shorts were more like cutoffs but when I think of shorts I see dockers

But unfortunately it seems that recently not everyone thinks of Dockers shorts when they think of shorts to wear to the MDR. I think it's the gym/basketball type, hiking/cargo, or cut-off shorts that some cruisers find objectionable when worn to dinner in the MDR by those that do not follow the slacks and shirt posting in the dailies.

Does it really bother anyone if someone is wearing shorts at dinner? I could see if the shorts were more like cutoffs but when I think of shorts I see dockers

Apparently on the Dawn it has been reported as really bad-- not as nice

as dressy dockers-- follow the guidelines in your welcome aboard package.

BG

But unfortunately it seems that recently not everyone thinks of Dockers shorts when they think of shorts to wear to the MDR. I think it's the gym/basketball type, hiking/cargo, or cut-off shorts that some cruisers find objectionable when worn to dinner in the MDR by those that do not follow the slacks and shirt posting in the dailies.

Just wondering if it's the "rule breaking" that bothers people or is it that they just don't want to see people wearing say "cargo shorts"???

At home there are not too many restaurants anymore with "dress codes" other than "no tank tops for men and no bare feet"....that's the only rule I see anywhere that we dine, unless you go into the cities to very high end restaurants and I mean very high end......and even some of those are not fussy anymore about how you are dressed. It used to be "jackets for men" were a must for those types of restaurants but now a days those rules are becoming a thing of the past in many places.

When we dine here at home I'm not talking about your neighborhood family restaurant like Applebees, but nice upper scale restaurants with linen table cloths etc.....like the "Chop House" in Atlantic City for instance. We go there occasionally and we go in jeans....so does everyone else. It's a vacation resort area so perhaps that's why.......but so is a cruise. It's a vacation and I will always believe that they should have "one" restaurant that is totally "formal" and the rest casual. I think that would please everyone. The problem with this though is.......they probably already know that there won't be a ton people at the formal restaurant anymore cause most people just do not want to "dress up". The businesses generally cater to the "majority".

This is just one of the issues regarding dress in the main dining rooms (and others).

I think the most common thing that upsets people is when the dress code - whatever it may be - is not enforced.

Next, there is the issue that when articles like jeans or shorts are allowed, there are differing opinions about which of each are 'acceptable' and which aren't.

Lastly, there are those who simply believe that the dress code is wrong and are bothered by anyone not 'dressing up enough' for dinner.

The first two are, in my opinion, legitimate gripes.

Any rule should be enforced. In the case of MDR dress codes, I have to admit that I really don't care what others are wearing, but that doesn't mean I think it's okay; I just think my time is to precious (especially while on vacation) to waste it worrying about something that really doesn't affect me.

Also, I can't imagine being the person at the door deciding which jeans or shorts are acceptable and which aren't. Are 'nice' jeans simply any that are clean and without visible wear and tear, or are they $500 jeans that come with 'designer' wear and tear? I'll bet the person who paid the $500 would have a strong opinion (and we've seen some here). As far as shorts go, they're technically only allowed on sailings to Bermuda, and then with specific stipulations, but again, who wants to tell the great big, strong and determined looking man that his clean, well pressed docker shorts are not allowed because they aren't 'Bermuda shorts' and he's not wearing the right socks? Once he's in, there goes the argument against the next pair and the next... this particular issue is difficult to resolve.

Lastly, though, if it bothers you that people are dressed 'too casually' for 'your' standards in the MDR, NCL is not the line for you (in my opinion). The line has set the standards, and if they are enforced and you're still upset by the mere presence of jeans in the dining room, that's just your issue and you're either going to have to live with it or find a line that doesn't allow them (or stick to the one dining room that doesn't - assuming the rules are enforced of course).

I guess one of my biggest points to make here is this: if you generally do not notice how people dress at home when you go out to dine.....why do you notice on a cruise ship?

That said, I remember when there was a rule in Catholic Church that women had to wear "hats". I never understood the rule myself but I complied with it.....I think it had something to do with "respecting God's house"...which is not a bad thing at all but "men" did not have to have the same respect as women did....that is explained as: women had long beautiful hair and the idea of wearing a hat was to take the attention off of her hair and put it on the Lord...does not make real sense to me, especially since many women bought very fancy hats, but it must have made sense to some Pope at some point who made the rule in the first place. Woman must cover her head. It is a mark of respect required in the House of God. This, the angels demand." - excerpt from the Bible I believe.

In any event, I got off track there......when they "dropped that rule" for what ever reason, there were women who continued to wear hats and people who continued to be annoyed that some women came to church without a hat on. The rule was no longer a rule.............but some people did not agree with it and would not let go of it..................some people still do not eat "meat" on Friday even though that is no longer a rule.

So....I am sure there are gonna be many people who are used to the "old formal" dress attire evenings on cruise ships and to them....it's hard to let go of that.

The line has set the standards, and if they are enforced and you're still upset by the mere presence of jeans in the dining room, that's just your issue and you're either going to have to live with it or find a line that doesn't allow them (or stick to the one dining room that doesn't - assuming the rules are enforced of course).

Therein lies the crux of the problem for many cruisers. The line sets the standards and the majority complies, then someone shows up in gym shorts, a raggedy t-shirt and and old baseball cap and thinks it's their God-given right to be allowed into the MDR for dinner because it's "their vacation". You're assuming in your statement that the standards are enforced and if one doesn't agree with those standards one can find another cruise line, but unfortunately as many recent cruisers have commented here even NCL's minimal standards are often not being enforced. Those of us that have made a conscious decision to cruise with NCL understand those standards and have no issues with it; we just wish they were enforced uniformly and consistently. If NCL or any cruise line wishes to do away with the dress code altogether that is their right as a business in a capitalist market, but they should plainly advertise that fact so that potential cruisers can make an informed decision on booking with that line.

Therein lies the crux of the problem for many cruisers. The line sets the standards and the majority complies, then someone shows up in gym shorts, a raggedy t-shirt and and old baseball cap and thinks it's their God-given right to be allowed into the MDR for dinner because it's "their vacation". You're assuming in your statement that the standards are enforced and if one doesn't agree with those standards one can find another cruise line, but unfortunately as many recent cruisers have commented here even NCL's minimal standards are often not being enforced. Those of us that have made a conscious decision to cruise with NCL understand those standards and have no issues with it; we just wish they were enforced uniformly and consistently. If NCL or any cruise line wishes to do away with the dress code altogether that is their right as a business in a capitalist market, but they should plainly advertise that fact so that potential cruisers can make an informed decision on booking with that line.

Hmm...it is really hard for me to believe that anyone gets this upset over "dress codes". I just don't get it! You are on a wonderful vacation....some people in this world never ever get to go to a movie let alone on a beautiful cruise ship.

Why do you let this stuff bother you? Who the heck cares if NCL enforces their dress code rules or not? If you were not so focused on it, it wouldn't bother you. Dress the way YOU want to dress and let NCL handle their rules as they see fit to do...it's their business, and if you need a more consistent cruise line then I am sure you can find one out there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Hmm...it is really hard for me to believe that anyone gets this upset over "dress codes". I just don't get it! You are on a wonderful vacation....some people in this world never ever get to go to a movie let alone on a beautiful cruise ship.

Why do you let this stuff bother you? Who the heck cares if NCL enforces their dress code rules or not? If you were not so focused on it, it wouldn't bother you. Dress the way YOU want to dress and let NCL handle their rules as they see fit to do...it's their business, and if you need a more consistent cruise line then I am sure you can find one out there somewhere. :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your opinion-- some people want a better ambiance than eating at McDonalds in the main dining room--that is why there is a Welcome Aboard package sent to each cruiser with the dress guidelines to follow-why not follow them. You probably have not seen the new welcome aboard booklet since you have not been on NCL since 2005. All i ask is if you book the cruise follow the guidelines or do not book.

Big Green

You are entitled to your opinion-- some people want a better ambiance than eating at McDonalds in the main dining room--that is why there is a Welcome Aboard package sent to each cruiser with the dress guidelines to follow-why not follow them. You probably have not seen the new welcome aboard booklet since you have not been on NCL since 2005. All i ask is if you book the cruise follow the guidelines or do not book.

Big Green

Allow me to second the motion.

I think this is the crux of the matter. The consistency of application of the rules. In terms of dress codes, chair hogs, kids in adult hot tubs, the list goes on. The line has rules but people are seeing non-enforcement of the rules and this is what bothers them.

From my own viewpoint I like freestyle cruising a lot and NCL fits the bill for my husband and I. We change and shower before dinner and my husband always wears long trousers as do I for dinner. I take no notice of what others are wearing but I do have a thing about hats indoors and that includes baseball caps, probably because I am from an older generation. I think it is rude. Having said that, if the line chooses to allow customers to dine in clothes better suited to a beach then that is their perogative. It wouldn't spoil things for me but I can understand how others feel. What does spoil things for me are loud groups who do more to destroy 'ambience' than anything else could.

Where it goes wrong is when they outline a standard and then allow dramatic deviation from this with no consequences and then cause upset to those who do choose to conform to the advised standard. Now why do the crew allow this? It could be because they are being told to do so by superiors or it could be because they have received past threats from passengers and had nasty encounters when attempting to enforce the standard. Neither of those would surprise me at all given the snarling and shouting I saw on my cruise 2 months ago at the reception desk on boarding day. All over the cabin steward not having turned down the room by 6.30PM and replaced the towels they used earlier.

One thing I am certain of is this. Dress code debates will continue.

I was thinking the same thing myself why does anyone care what someone else is wearing. NCL has set the recommended guide line on what is acceptable and it is up to NCL to enforce their own policy not anyone here. I believe most people follow the policy and for the few who don't who cares I guess some still do and why let that bother you and take away from your own vacation.

Telling someone they need to "work on that" is hardly attacking them. Constantly belittling people for how they dress is. And who mentioned or said anything about allowing "sloppy people" in the MDR....sloppy meaning dirty to me? Is that something you just added to the conversation or what?

And for the record I don't really give a flying fig is someone agrees with me or not. It's a free world, but if I do not agree I will say so just as quickly as anyone else.

For THAT matter....who cares if the other people are sloppy, anyway? Me? Couldn't care less.

That's THEIR business, not mine.

To be honest, I really don't care what pants are worn. Let's face it, once you are sitting down it's hard to see what pants you are wearing. That being said, There is no reason why someone needs to wear a "Girls Gone Wild" cap at dinner. The same for the "Megadeath" T-shirt. It wouldn't kill anyone to wear a shirt with a collar. Years ago I was at Disneyland and I saw a couple walking around. What got me was he was wearing a shirt that said "The More I Drink, The Better She Looks." All I could think about the rest of the day was the conversation they had that morning. I pictured him holding up the shirt and asking her, "This shirt ok? I mean it's not like it is offensive to you, right?"

ok I have the same thing in my welcome package but as is pointed out on these boards all the time you have to do your homework and part of that is checking several sources one of the places I checked was NCLs web site in the Q&A for the ship that I will be traveling on and in that location is where I found my previously posted information... NCLs welcome package is not the only place to get information prior to your sailing.

Just so you know on my last sailing on the Star shorts were not permitted in either dining room for dinner.

Big Green

This thread is fun! :D I might be in the minority here, but I think I have a few valid points.

1. Isn't the way a person carries themself just as important as what they are actually wearing? I mean, I would much rather look at a person wearing clean, pressed golf shorts (Bermuda shorts, dress shorts, Dockers- whatever you choose to call them) than someone in an ill-fitting dress shirt or a tie that's too short or, if you're of a 'certain generation', pants that come up to the armpits. :rolleyes:
  2. It seems to me that if no one corrects someone that gets it wrong, that person isn't really 100% to blame. DH went to the wrong dining room wearing jeans last year and he was quietly sent away. He didn't wear jeans because he refused to wear nicer clothes or because I didn't properly research. We simply went to the wrong dining room.
  3. Why would you be offended by someone in a dining room looking like they just rolled out of bed? What's the point of being around so many people if you've got no one to make fun of! :p

This thread is fun! :D I might be in the minority here, but I think I have a few valid points.
  1. Isn't the way a person carries themself just as important as what they are actually wearing? I mean, I would much rather look at a person wearing clean, pressed golf shorts (Bermuda shorts, dress shorts, Dockers- whatever you choose to call them) than someone in an ill-fitting dress shirt or a tie that's too short or, if you're of a 'certain generation', pants that come up to the armpits. :rolleyes:
  2. It seems to me that if no one corrects someone that gets it wrong, that person isn't really 100% to blame. DH went to the wrong dining room wearing jeans last year and he was quietly sent away. He didn't wear jeans because he refused to wear nicer clothes or because I didn't properly research. We simply went to the wrong dining room.
  3. Why would you be offended by someone in a dining room looking like they just rolled out of bed? What's the point of being around so many people if you've got no one to make fun of! :p

One of our favorite sports... people watching:D

People watching....one of my husbands favorite things to do. He views that as "entertainment". ;)

Isn't the way a person carries themself just as important as what they are actually wearing? I mean, I would much rather look at a person wearing clean, pressed golf shorts (Bermuda shorts, dress shorts, Dockers- whatever you choose to call them) than someone in an ill-fitting dress shirt or a tie that's too short or, if you're of a 'certain generation', pants that come up to the armpits. :rolleyes:

I have had this conversation with a friend of mine. He and his wife always dress up for dinner, and he commented what great service he gets at the restaurants and around the ship. He wondered if it was due to how they dressed. I think that is may play a part, but the fact that he always treats the staff with respect and kindness makes a HUGE difference too. Of course, I think by dressing in a dignified manner (which can include jeans) also shows respect for both yourself and the staff that are serving you.

It seems to me that if no one corrects someone that gets it wrong, that person isn't really 100% to blame. DH went to the wrong dining room wearing jeans last year and he was quietly sent away. He didn't wear jeans because he refused to wear nicer clothes or because I didn't properly research. We simply went to the wrong dining room.

I think that is why NCL not enforcing the rules irks many on these boards. I know that I like to dress for dinner, but my DS would wear jeans all day, every day. When I learned that he couldn't wear them in the MDR for dinner, we invested in some nice cords. I was glad because on that cruise the rules were being enforced at the MDR. Despite them being enforced, I did not see a lot of bickering and arguing patrons. They were more like your DH who just weren't aware and either changed or went elsewhere for dinner.

Maybe the Maitre'D at some of the MDRs were getting so much flack from patrons not dressed according to the the rules, they eased the rules. It seems like lately the people who aren't willing to accept there is a standard for the MDR are more vocal than those who prefer the rules be enforced. Sounds like they are just trying to keep the tirades to a minimum, and do what they are perceive to be adhering to the old adage of keeping the customer happy/the customer is always right (even if they are wrong!).

Why would you be offended by someone in a dining room looking like they just rolled out of bed? What's the point of being around so many people if you've got no one to make fun of! :p

This is a great pastime, but my favorite time to do this (besides on the streets of NYC) is at the pool and nightclubs....

Isn't the way a person carries themself just as important as what they are actually wearing?

They way a person dresses for a particular occasion IS part of how they "carry" themselves. Dressing inappropriately for a given setting (like looking like they just rolled out of bed when going to dinner at a nice restaurant or a ship's MDR) will be seen by others as that person not "carrying" themselves very well. True, there are many facets to carrying oneself well in the eyes of others, but whether we like it or not appropriate apparel is one of those.

I really don't care how people dress but I do find it annoying that someone issues a certain standard and doesn't enforce it.

If I had known in advance it wasn't going to be enforced I could have brought other clothes that are actually lighter to carry because of all the holes in them! :D

I really don't care how people dress but I do find it annoying that someone issues a certain standard and doesn't enforce it.

If I had known in advance it wasn't going to be enforced I could have brought other clothes that are actually lighter to carry because of all the holes in them! :D

it's like traffic regulations. The posted limit says 60, but most go 65, and some get away with passing the police, at 70.

There are LOADS of rules & laws on the books which are not enforced. Just see http://www.dumblaws.com/ for examples!

Having read so many threads before my recent cruise on the Dawn, I was pleasantly surprised at how many people were dressing nicely. It was my first cruise on NCL. That being said, my sister wore shorts to Bingo and met me at Aqua for dinner afterward. When I saw her shorts I hesitated, then saw a couple proceed to the door and be seated wearing jean shorts, t shirts and sneakers. I said what the heck and we went in. She was wearing cotton shorts and a nice blouse so why not go with the flow.

In general I thought most people dressed according to the dress code and I was glad to have the appropriate clothes too.

Archived