2010-2011 Winter Collection

dino2067

The new itins are great and inventive. A good deal of thought has been put into the process to keep the clientelle interested. One of the nicest aspects is that consistently Oceania listens to what the customer wants and acts on it. For several years we have made suggestions of various kinds and have had positive results throughout. Once again the new itineraries prove that. We were with Renaissance and once O came into being became totally devoted to the new line. I am most happy to say that yesterday (15 September) we booked the African itineraries (back-to-back for 65 days) and that will bring us to 24 "O" cruises. As consumers we have choices, and we (after crusing with many companies) prefer to spend our money with O.

This past February I was diagnosed with Cancer and had to have an operation. Fortunately all is going well so far and I feel great. I hope that will continue and that I will be around for a long time and keep on cruising and enjoying all that the world has to offer.

For those of you who like to look at the negatives (like not having your cruise itinerary suggestion picked) try to find something positive and stay with it. No I'm not on a soap box to prove anything. But life is worth living and there is something worthwhile in EVERYTHING!!!!

I will paraphrase Auntie Mame when she said "Life is a banqueet and most poor suckers are starving to death." SO LIVE and ENJOY!!! :)

What a lovely post, particularly appreciated because lately there seem to have been a plethora of negative posts on all sorts of petty issues.

I add my congratulations and hopes for your continuing good health.

The new itins are great and inventive. A good deal of thought has been put into the process to keep the clientelle interested. One of the nicest aspects is that consistently Oceania listens to what the customer wants and acts on it. For several years we have made suggestions of various kinds and have had positive results throughout. Once again the new itineraries prove that. We were with Renaissance and once O came into being became totally devoted to the new line. I am most happy to say that yesterday (15 September) we booked the African itineraries (back-to-back for 65 days) and that will bring us to 24 "O" cruises. As consumers we have choices, and we (after crusing with many companies) prefer to spend our money with O.

This past February I was diagnosed with Cancer and had to have an operation. Fortunately all is going well so far and I feel great. I hope that will continue and that I will be around for a long time and keep on cruising and enjoying all that the world has to offer.

For those of you who like to look at the negatives (like not having your cruise itinerary suggestion picked) try to find something positive and stay with it. No I'm not on a soap box to prove anything. But life is worth living and there is something worthwhile in EVERYTHING!!!!

I will paraphrase Auntie Mame when she said "Life is a banqueet and most poor suckers are starving to death." SO LIVE and ENJOY!!! :)

KIWP…you made me smile with this. Thanks for sharing your positive viewpoints, I totally embrace the same. My husband and I picked the 20-day Dubai to Athens “Dawn of Civilization” itinerary since the repositioning of Nautica from Asia to the Med is now split into two segments. It is a far more manageable amount of vacation days for me to procure all at once since I’m a long, long way from retirement (and I refuse to wait until then to travel the world).

I DO hope when the time comes, that you come back and share your experiences on these two new itineraries with this forum…if I had the amount of vacation days available to be able to do them both I’d be there!

Kathleen

Enjoy the Dubai-Athens cruise. We did the 35 day HKG-ATH in 2006 and it was fabulous. And we've also done the return and went from IST-SIN for 44 days. If and when it works out that you can do them I hope that you will.

We've often been to Dubai as one of our daughters and her family lived there for 10 years. Ove time the area has changed a great deal, but the UAE is fascinating and worth exploring. If you can get in early and spend a few days to see the other Emirates (outside of Dubai) it would be a great experience. Whatever you do, in whatever time is possible just have fun!!!

Enjoy the Dubai-Athens cruise. We did the 35 day HKG-ATH in 2006 and it was fabulous. And we've also done the return and went from IST-SIN for 44 days. If and when it works out that you can do them I hope that you will.

We've often been to Dubai as one of our daughters and her family lived there for 10 years. Ove time the area has changed a great deal, but the UAE is fascinating and worth exploring. If you can get in early and spend a few days to see the other Emirates (outside of Dubai) it would be a great experience. Whatever you do, in whatever time is possible just have fun!!!

KIWP - Your attitude is infectious. Hopefully, we will meet each other on the 65 day (b2b) cruise. We booked it last night. We have been to most of the stops, both recently and years ago, but look forward to revisiting them and making new friends on one of the best cruise lines. We will be on Nautica this Nov 10, IST-SIN for 40 days - same embarkation and disembarkation ports, only much different routing.

Re: Penguins in the Falklands. We went with Regent last year to Antarctica via the Falklands. The trip to the Rockhoppers was so much fun, bumpy, muddy.. a real hoot. However there were quite a few complaints from other pax who were distressed not to have been told how rough the ride is. There are not many paved roads in the Falklands, so be forewarned!

--------------

Helen

And worth every penny for just those two facts, plus the reputation SS has for being "stuffy". This country boy would not be comfortable...

And, what do you do with all that extra space?

SS is not all that great. Yes, the Silver Shadow, the one on which we sailed, is a beautiful ship, but the service and food is no better than O. In fact, the alternate dining venue left much to be desired. Didn't find the pax. to be at all "stuffy."

And I do agree with Don. Smoking and formal nights - been there, done that! No mas!!!

Of the various penguin tours in the Falklands out of Port Stanley, which one would any of you that have done them recommend: the Rockhopper penguin trip; the trip to Sparrow Cove to see the gentoo and king pengins, or the one to Bluff Lagoon to see the gentoo and king penguins?

That's tough to answer unless someone has been there more than once to compare them. However, based on our experience and on reports from others on board, I would have to say that if you want lively and cute penguins, see the Rock Hoppers. But, there aren't very many of them, and if you want to see large numbers of penguins, one of the other tours might be better -- but I don't know which one.

The Rock Hoppers are different, living on top of a rocky cliff rather than on a beach, and you can get very close to them (without touching or walking among them). They laid a rope on the ground next to the rocks and asked that no one step over the rope. None of the penguins crossed the rope, either, so I asked the warden who had trained them ;). I believe the tour was also new this past season, so not many of us have taken it.

It's an expensive tour -- around $249 a person, if I recall correctly. Is it worth it? Just to see the penguins -- probably not. It's a lot like watching them in a natural setting zoo. You're here and they're there, and you watch them, and they don't watch you, and then what?

But -- to see them in their natural element, to see the views from atop the bluff, to ride with just one or two other couples in true off-road vehicles over peat-bog, rocky farmland, crisscrossed with brooks and rivulets -- priceless.

Our Falkland Island pictures are here. Click on the thumbnails to see the full images, click on the right side or left side of the pictures to go forwards or back.

I have been considering Silversea but have not done any seroius research into them. There new ship looks nice. The formal dress code does not bother me. However, extensive smoking on the ship would be a dealbreaker for me. Is smoking rampant on Silversea ships?

From our experience, not good, but not as bad as Seabourn.

SS is not all that great. Yes, the Silver Shadow, the one on which we sailed, is a beautiful ship, but the service and food is no better than O. In fact, the alternate dining venue left much to be desired. Didn't find the pax. to be at all "stuffy."
That may be, but the problem is that now, quite often, Oceania is substantially more expensive than Silversea. Another example, Panama Canal, 16 days on the Regatta, in April, 2011, $6,899 for PH3 and $7,399 for PH1. Compare also 16 days on Silver Shadow in January, 2010, $6,438 for Verandah and $6,738 for midship Verandah, minus a further 5% for Venetian members (anyone who sailed with them before). Both include airfares, Silversea includes tips and drinks, Oceania does not.

Yes, they are a year apart, but Oceania premium is subtantial, again worth 2x$1,000 including tips and average drinks, or $2,000 per couple. We are using Silversea as an example only because we are familiar with it (we have to study Seabourn and RSSC rules, such as what is included and what is not before we can make similar comparisons).

As we have said before, Silversea prices are more geographically dependent, and the same is not true for Europe for example. But Oceania prices for the Caribbean are often far higher than Silversea these days, and not just on par for comparison. It is up to individual consumers to choose whatever he/she likes, but hopefully, they do so based on full knowledge and preference, and not due to lack of awareness. We believe we are providing a public service in posting what we see. On the other hand, Oceania prices in Europe are usually better than Silverseas. So for those who are thrift, study both ways, and do accordingly.

P.S. As we ourselves did. We took the Silver Shadow for Panama Canal in December, 2007, and we took the Nautica for Eastern Mediterranean in October last year. Both voyages were nice and enjoyable.

We have been eyeing both the HKG-ATH and the IST-SIN itineraries for some time now…with the only holdback being the amount of time away from work to be able to do either. Now, with the modification of Nautica’s repositioning cruise into two segments, I’ll be able to experience a part of the world I have yet to see…AND look forward to someday experiencing the new Africa itineraries. That’s a win-win in my book.

We've often been to Dubai as one of our daughters and her family lived there for 10 years. Ove time the area has changed a great deal, but the UAE is fascinating and worth exploring. If you can get in early and spend a few days to see the other Emirates (outside of Dubai) it would be a great experience.

This is great to know…I’ll look into spending some extra time pre-cruise in the area.

Whatever you do, in whatever time is possible just have fun!!!

…always do! ;)

Our Falkland Island pictures are here. Click on the thumbnails to see the full images, click on the right side or left side of the pictures to go forwards or back.

Don, Your Falkland pictures are fabulous. We have been to Antarctica and the scenery and penguin colonies are similar, just more massive. It is a lot easier to get to the Falklands.

Announcing the 2010-2011 Winter Collection of Sailings

Up to $3,000 Price Reduction off 2 for 1 Cruise Fares with Free Airfare per guest

This season enjoy 13 new itineraries and 30 new ports of call. New for the 2010-2011 Winter Collection:

-Acclaimed Canyon Ranch SpaClub® treatments and cuisine

-Free and unlimited soft drinks and bottled water throughout the ship

-Voyages to Africa for the first time in the history of Oceania Cruises

-All-New itineraries in South America

We're very impressed with the "new" itineraries, and the discounted pricing is nice too! :D

The only fly in our ointment is the lack of any new information on the Marina.:mad: We'd really like to book her inaugural, but it's getting to the point where push is coming to shove. :mad:

It must have been a lot of work to segregate all of the Marina particulars from that 2011 sailing schedule.

If only they used some of that manpower to get the website where it should be............whoever is doing the site now (it's probably outsourced), makes a mess of every add on, it takes 3 or 4 weeks for absolutely anything new to work correctly.

Announcing the 2010-2011 Winter Collection of Sailings

Up to $3,000 Price Reduction off 2 for 1 Cruise Fares with Free Airfare per guest

This season enjoy 13 new itineraries and 30 new ports of call. New for the 2010-2011 Winter Collection:

-Acclaimed Canyon Ranch SpaClub® treatments and cuisine

-Free and unlimited soft drinks and bottled water throughout the ship

-Voyages to Africa for the first time in the history of Oceania Cruises

-All-New itineraries in South America

We're very impressed with the "new" itineraries, and the discounted pricing is nice too! :D

The only fly in our ointment is the lack of any new information on the Marina.:mad: We'd really like to book her inaugural, but it's getting to the point where push is coming to shove. :mad:

It must have been a lot of work to segregate all of the Marina particulars from that 2011 sailing schedule.

If only they used some of that manpower to get the website where it should be............whoever is doing the site now (it's probably outsourced), makes a mess of every add on, it takes 3 or 4 weeks for absolutely anything new to work correctly.

The new itins are great and we just booked 65 days on the Nautica from IST-SIN. That will make it our 23rd and 24th on O and we are delighted that they have listened to customer requests for expanded itineraries.

As far as the Marina, we've heard that she will debut in January 2011, and that the bookings will open in January 2010. BUT - since this is at least third or fourth hand, don't take it as FACT.

we tried to book immediately the Jan. 2, 2011 sailing on Regatta, and were informed there were a total of 4 (FOUR !!) inside cabins only available....any tips as to what to expect if we booked on deck 6 or 7 at the very front of the ship?? Probably feel the movement a lot more than mid ship?

The amount of motion depends, obviously, on the seas you encounter. We were just on Regatta in cabin 6001 (right up front). Not much motion at all, but we were mostly in the Baltic, and it was not rough at all. A bit more motion when we hit the North Sea on the way to Dover, but nothing much to mention.

Your cruise is in the Atlantic, so the seas could be higher, but it all depends on the weather. I have been in the Virgin Islands when the seas were flat, and I have been there when they were 8 feet. The crossing to the islands can be go either way as well. Unlikely to be flat, but the seas can be pretty minimal at times.

This isn't a lot of help, I can see, but yes there is somewhat more motion in the bow (or stern) than amidships. I don't mind the motion either way so my opinion might also be less than helpful.

I am presuming from your question that you are a bit concerned about getting a bit seasick. That can be hard to predict too since the specific effect of the seas depends on a lot of factors: ship's direction relative to the direction of the seas; the frequency of the waves; the length of the ship in relation to the frequency of the seas; ship's speed; and other factors.

The effect on you can be diminished by taking various actions: you should eat; if you are feeling uneasy, be someplace where you can see the horizon (they are reasonably certain that seasickness is caused by a conflict between the eye -- not seeing motion if inside, etc.--, and the inner ear --detecting motion; be outside and get fresh air; take seasickness pills; eat things with ginger, etc. An inside cabin, with no view, does not help in this situation.

Most people affected by seasickness do get over it and get their sea legs. It may take a few hours or a day. Not that it's fun to be seasick for any period of time, but most people do move past it. Then too, if you are very susceptible to seasickness, even a cabin amidships is not be a total guarantee that you won't be sick either. I have seen someone get seasick on a large ship while still in the harbor and you couldn't even tell the ship was moving without looking at the city go by.

You know your reaction to motion, and that should help be your guide.

Not sure this has helped.

The cruise line was/is Carnival; the ship was the Carnivale. It was the second ship acquired by Carnival. The first was the Empress of Canada, which Carnival renamed Mardi Gras. Carnivale was the former Empress of Britain. Carnival's third ship, Festivale, was also converted from an ocean liner. The Tropicale, launched in 1982, the year after our sailings, was the first purpose-built ship for Carnival.

Lots of folks look down on Carnival today, but it has to be remembered that Ted Arison and Carnival essentially created the cruise industry as we know it today, which is considerably different than it was before Carnival.

I don't know if our expedition was free or not, because my Mother-in-law paid for the cruise for her two daughters, their spouses (that's me) and our two children, each. the nine of us had a wonderful time two years in a row. She was concerned she would pass away before she had the chance to spend time with us; she was 76 years old at the time. The irony is that she lived to be 103, passing away in 2007, still reasonably alert.

I mentioned earlier that my son traded a chicken leg for an ash tray; we had the food because the ship issued everyone a lunch box with fried chicken, chips, an apple and cookies for the beach party.

Carnival might have been an early cruise line, but did it pre-date Sitmar? We cruised on Sitmar from 1981 until the family sold it to Princess in 1988. Not a better line ever.

meow,

I do appreciate the information you are posting about Silversea vs Oceania - it does take time to work out the comparisons.

People are free indeed to choose as they wish; the better informed they are the wiser their decisions will be.

It's good to have so many good cruise lines to choose from to suit everyone's tastes.

Carnival might have been an early cruise line, but did it pre-date Sitmar? We cruised on Sitmar from 1981 until the family sold it to Princess in 1988. Not a better line ever.

StanAndJim most likely have better information, but a quick reading seems to indicate Sitmar went from emigrant transportation to cruising somewhere around 1971. Carnival was begun in 1972.

My comment, however, was more about cruising as we know it today, meaning seven day cruises to the Caribbean, pretty much the same itinerary every week. There might have been others doing it sooner, but Carnival is given credit for introducing the concept to the masses.

Take heart, Leonid, the Vlasov family (they who sold Sitmar to P&O) is not totally out of the cruising business.

Even before the sale of Sitmar, the Vlasov family established a ship management company called VShips.

http://www.vships.com/portal/site/shipman/

In 1995, VShips "organized, founded, made the market strategy and designed the ships of" Silversea.

http://www.silversea.com/default.aspx

As to who was first in the cruising game, it was Sitmar. They claim their first "true cruise" to have been in Australian waters in 1964., but they really did not take it up full time until they lost the Australian migrant contract to Chandris in 1971 (at which time Carnival founder Ted Arison was still a disgruntled NCL employee).

As Don says, however, it was Carnival, that introduced what we think of as mass market cruising to the American market in 1972.

Although Sitmar had been an immigrant carrier when providing Ocean liner transportation, when they turned to cruising, the company became considerably more up-market than Carnival ever aspired to be.

Oddly, Carnival considers that it was their innovative "roll on roll off" ship provisioning system which allowed the mass market concept to flourish, rather than their "Fun Ship" ads.

If any of you are interested in reading the whys and wherefores of these convolutions, there are two superb books out there:

http://www.rosenbergpub.com.au/handleProduct.asp?id=39&catid=2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sitmar-Liners-V-Ships/dp/0953429105

I just did a test booking at the Oceania website for the January 2, 2011 sailing, 10 days from Miami on the Regatta. There are cabins available in all Categories including 7 Category F and 4 Category G inside cabins.

Don

Yes I saw there were cabins when i was on Oceania website, I went to check only after a TA told me there were no Cat. F or G cabins available for him to book. We are still trying to decide. Thanks also to those that commented on the location of the cabins and the concerns I might have had regarding the extra motion in a front inside cabin.

Lori

The effect on you can be diminished by taking various actions: you should eat; if you are feeling uneasy, be someplace where you can see the horizon (they are reasonably certain that seasickness is caused by a conflict between the eye -- not seeing motion if inside, etc.--, and the inner ear --detecting motion; be outside and get fresh air; take seasickness pills; eat things with ginger, etc. An inside cabin, with no view, does not help in this situation.

thanks for that advice...my husband has to see the horizon usually, but last cruise we had an inside cabin and he was fine...even on the two nights where we had to hang onto the side of the bed to prevent rolling out...kinda rough seas !! But that Jan. 2, 2011 cruise has a lot of ports and we would be on land much of the time, we tend to only change for dinner and sleep in the cabin anyways, so if we decide to go he has his elastic bands for seasickness and will probably do just great.

Lori

Yes I saw there were cabins when i was on Oceania website, I went to check only after a TA told me there were no Cat. F or G cabins available for him to book. We are still trying to decide. Thanks also to those that commented on the location of the cabins and the concerns I might have had regarding the extra motion in a front inside cabin.

Lori

Wonder why your Travel Agent told you that those categories are not available when the Oceania web site shows that they are available ?

Archived