Mykonos & Santorini - maps & self-guided walking tours

Wakkyj

Planning our cruise for next month and I'm a bit lost without a Rick Steves guide lol! I have a couple books on the Greek Isles but neither of them have even remotely adequate maps for DIYers and what we would really love is some good maps with suggested walks through the area.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am also looking for some self-guided DIY walking tips in both these ports.

In Santorini, do I just follow the donkeys that take people up, or is there another route? How long is the walk? Once in Thira/Fira, how do I find the bus that will take me to Oia and how long is the ride?

In Mykonos, my ships arrives at 6pm. Is there much to see by walking around or should I just stay on the ship?

In Santorini, do I just follow the donkeys that take people up, or is there another route? How long is the walk? Once in Thira/Fira, how do I find the bus that will take me to Oia and how long is the ride?

In Mykonos, my ships arrives at 6pm. Is there much to see by walking around or should I just stay on the ship?

By all means ... get off the ship in Mykanos. Mykanos Town is a wonderful (and not very big) place to wander around. Small narrow streets lined with shops and lots of outdoor cafes and restaurants.

We downloaded a walking tour with maps for Mykonos. You can start wherever you like and end the same way, at your own pace. I liked it because you still get the benefit of some local background. You can also listen to it in advance if you just want to follow the map.

We downloaded a walking tour with maps for Mykonos. You can start wherever you like and end the same way, at your own pace. I liked it because you still get the benefit of some local background. You can also listen to it in advance if you just want to follow the map.

It sounds perfect. Where did you get it?

It sounds perfect. Where did you get it?

Check out discovery-walk dot com. It is my understanding that this is the same tour that Princess uses if you go through the ship's tours, except they also loan the ipod.

We just downloaded it onto our own players for more than half of the cost.

For maps, you need the latest editions of this and this. In addition to the general 'whole of the island' main map, each has inset mas at a larger scale of the towns: Mykonos town on the Mykonos map, and both Fira and Oia on the Santorini map. Mykonos is Map 103 and Santorini is map 108, both published by Road Editions in Athens.

These editions are a bit old - I think my own are more recent.

"Rough Guide" states that there are 580 steps up the cliff and takes about 45 mins.

The buses leave from near the main square- turn right at the top of the steps, or cable car; walk the length of the street to the Cathedral, and cross the main road.- jocap.

Check out discovery-walk dot com. It is my understanding that this is the same tour that Princess uses if you go through the ship's tours, except they also loan the ipod.

Hello and thanks for pointing out this web site. I do have one question. I went to the web site, purchased the walking tour, received a receipt on screen and by email but no download instructions. I have looked all over this web site and have found no download instructions---the links just keep taking you to the front page. Did they email you download instructions or did you find them on the web site?

Thanks

Hello and thanks for pointing out this web site. I do have one question. I went to the web site, purchased the walking tour, received a receipt on screen and by email but no download instructions. I have looked all over this web site and have found no download instructions---the links just keep taking you to the front page. Did they email you download instructions or did you find them on the web site?

Thanks

There seems to have been an error on their web site. The good news is that their customer service department responded to my email for assistance in less than an hour. So, hopefully, I will be checking out this walking tour shortly... thanks again for pointing us to this web site.

There seems to have been an error on their web site. The good news is that their customer service department responded to my email for assistance in less than an hour. So, hopefully, I will be checking out this walking tour shortly... thanks again for pointing us to this web site.

I'm glad customer service responded quickly. I honestly can't remember how we did it, but I do subscribe to audible and I maintain on the windows media player. My DH has an itouch and it worked for both of us.

I'm glad customer service responded quickly. I honestly can't remember how we did it, but I do subscribe to audible and I maintain on the windows media player. My DH has an itouch and it worked for both of us.

It was actually a glitch on their web site but is fixed now. I downloaded the tour and map. Excellent tour. Thanks for posting this information.

When talking to customer service, they mentioned that they will have many more tours available by next Spring--including Sontorini and Corfu.

For those who like the Rick Steves walking tours, you will also love this company.

Can you climb up 600 steps covered in donkey poop in 15 minutes? Down, maybe, but not up. :)

I wouldn't dream of climbing those steps, donkey poo or not! I was only quoting "Rough Guide", and being challenged on their timing. Me- I'm over the island by bus to the beach at Kamari, and first in the queue for the cable car down.!- jocap.

Looks great - thanks!

This made my day!! :D:D Thanks Pam!

I just saw your reference to Orvieto pictures in your signature. We spent five days in Rome in June post-cruise, but have one port day in Civitavecchia next May (as well as one day in Livorno). Would this be a nice day-trip?

I like some physical activity...so I'm going to attempt the climb :) I imagine donkeys are slower anyway...

We walk just about everywhere. When we got to Santorini we planned to walk up to Fira. The first whiff of the donkeys changed our minds. We took the cable car. Didn't want to slip on that stuff either...Maybe in October it won't be as bad as it was in July.

Once you are at the top you walk along the main street to the bus station. It was very easy (and cheap) to catch the bus to and from Oia.

We went in May and hiked up. We did not think the poo was that bad but you did need to pay attention where you walked and move to the outside when the donkeys were coming back down the hill. I would guess it took us about a half an hour.

We then went on a wonderful hike to Oia along the edge of the crater. I found several sets of instructions on the internet. Mostly, you just start walking toward your left (from the cable car or the path up) looking for signs that say "Oia." It was more hilly than I anticipated but a lot of fun. That took about 3 hours. We rode the bus back to Fira and ended up walking back down because it was easier than finding the end of the cable car line. Again the poo was not that bad - they have folks who clean during the day so it isn't everywhere. Very easy to avoid. I admit I was raised in the country and had horses - those of you who have never left the city might find it a bit much. But I will take equine poo over dog poo any day.

The walk down was hard on older knees but okay if you paced yourself. I would also urge a rubber soled shoe - a smooth leather would probably be sort of slippery on the smooth stones.

To the person with folks with mobility issues, I would urge caution. These places are not wheelcahir or scooter friendly. Lots of steps. Perhpas someone has a wheelchair accessible tour on line??

Archived