Just back from Alaska

S.S.Oceanlover

Just home from the Diamond Princess a few hours ago.

Overall the cruise was very good.

Alaska was just awesome.

Sabatinis was great as usual. We ate in the dining room only twice. Service was slow in the anytime dining rooms. We first ate in the Sante Fe and The Pacific Moon the other night.

The staff in the buffet was very good and were always looking after you making sure you didn't need anything.

Pratch our cabin steward was very good as well and kept our cabin in great shape and always with a smile. Sometimes i wonder how they do it with working all those hours.

The lack of entertainment in the main showroom and Explorers Lounge was a big dissapointment. If you didn't want to dance or gamble there wasn't much today for most of the week.

I guess with the cutbacks they show the same shows 2 days in a row and the same entertainment in Explorers. We saw the show at 8:15 in the main showroom then went to Explorers at 10:15 for the comedian so the next day there was nothing to do at night so we went back to the room and watched a movie.

Overall it was a good cruise but not one of our best. How could it be bad looking at all Alaska had to offer.:)

Bill

Thanks for the review Bill, short and sweet;) we too noticed the lack of entertainment choices on our last cruise, but I guess they have to cut corners somewhere:rolleyes: Once the market recovers a bit, I think the entertainment will improve, at least with more options. How did you like the Diamond? We LOVE the Sapphire, absolute fave!

Thanks for the review Bill, short and sweet;) we too noticed the lack of entertainment choices on our last cruise, but I guess they have to cut corners somewhere:rolleyes: Once the market recovers a bit, I think the entertainment will improve, at least with more options. How did you like the Diamond? We LOVE the Sapphire, absolute fave!

I liked the Diamond more than the Caribbean Princess which I have been on twice.

I like the way they split up the dining rooms into 2 smaller ones. The fajitas in the Sante Fe were very good with lots of spice.

I think the Diamond looked better then the CB without the shopping cart handle.

Lots of bargains to be had on the ship gift shops as well as in the shops in town.

Bill

Overall the cruise was very good.

Alaska was just awesome.

Sabatinis was great as usual. We ate in the dining room only twice. Service was slow in the anytime dining rooms. We first ate in the Sante Fe and The Pacific Moon the other night.

The staff in the buffet was very good and were always looking after you making sure you didn't need anything.

Pratch our cabin steward was very good as well and kept our cabin in great shape and always with a smile. Sometimes i wonder how they do it with working all those hours.

The lack of entertainment in the main showroom and Explorers Lounge was a big dissapointment. If you didn't want to dance or gamble there wasn't much today for most of the week.

I guess with the cutbacks they show the same shows 2 days in a row and the same entertainment in Explorers. We saw the show at 8:15 in the main showroom then went to Explorers at 10:15 for the comedian so the next day there was nothing to do at night so we went back to the room and watched a movie.

Overall it was a good cruise but not one of our best. How could it be bad looking at all Alaska had to offer.:)

Bill

Y'all didn't really get mixed up with that storm at all, did you, lucky people? Thank your lucky stars for that one, it was nasty (50 kt winds and 20 foot seas from Ketchikan til just about two hours out from Victoria (and we were one hour late getting in there because of it)).

Hi Bill

Thank you for your review

We will be on the Diamond Princess this January for an Australia/NZ Cruise, have only sailed Princess once before, it was last year on the Royal, which is much smaller.

Please advise us on the Must Do's and the Don'ts of the Diamond Princess

I originally had the Diamond booked for your cruise and switched to X because they had a much better price on an outside than Princess and offered an OBC to boot. We just returned yesterday. Sorry to hear the entertainment was not up to par. It's been two years since our last Princess cruise and we will be sailing on the Crown the end of November. Hope this was an Alaska thing and not the norm in the Caribbean.

I am sort of lost - Princess usually repeats their shows at least once during the week (production shows) in case you missed it the first time. I actually am glad about this as I often miss the show the first time.

Please advise us on the Must Do's and the Don'ts of the Diamond Princess

We loved the Wheelhouse Bar. A great place to curl up with a book.

We are not fans of the 4 seperate dining rooms on the Sapphire/Diamond.

Why?

Re: entertainment. On other (caribbean) cruises, we made sure we saw the show every night. On our Diamond Alaskan cruise we usually missed it because there were other things to do and see. So the lack of entertainment wasn't really even noticed.

I am sort of lost - Princess usually repeats their shows at least once during the week (production shows) in case you missed it the first time. I actually am glad about this as I often miss the show the first time.

I haven't cruised Princess since February 2007 and the entertainment wasn't repeated then. I guess if this is the norm then they started this somewhere since then.

Since we knew the shows would be repeated we went the second night of the repeated show and the showroom was about 1/2 to 2/3 full.

Here is the entertainment for the week:

Saturday -Princess Theater Welcome aboard show 10pm

Explorers Lounge - Music by Vitalized 7:15 - 8pm, 9-10pm, 10:30 - close

Sunday -Princess Theater - Do you Wanna Dance 8:15 and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge - Steve Moris- comedian 8:15pm and 10:15pm

Monday -Princess Theater - Do you wamma dance - 8:15pm

Tuesday - Princess Theater - Tim Triplett hypnotist 8:15 and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge - Kathy Phippard Caberet 8:30pm Movie - My Life in Ruins 10:30pm

Wednesday - Princess Theater I got the Music in Me - 8:15pm

Explorers Lounge - Steve Hites 7:15pm Skagway entertainer

Carl Banks - Comedian 8:15pm and 10:15pm

Thursday - Princess Theater - I got the music in me - 8:15 and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge - Carl Banks comedian - 8:15pm and 10:15pm

Friday - Princess Theater - band-Vitalized - 9:15pm

Bill

Welcome home, Bill!:) Hope all is well.

Too bad about the entertainment....they usually have a good variety, maybe this is a more common thing on Alaska itineraries.

Hey Roe how are you? Hope all is well with you and yours as well.

We are doing great here.:) Not used to wearing coats and not swimming on a cruise.:p

Bill

We loved the Wheelhouse Bar. A great place to curl up with a book.

Why?

Re: entertainment. On other (caribbean) cruises, we made sure we saw the show every night. On our Diamond Alaskan cruise we usually missed it because there were other things to do and see. So the lack of entertainment wasn't really even noticed.

Hi JenJens,

What other things did you have to do and see?

Bill

Hey Roe how are you? Hope all is well with you and yours as well.

We are doing great here.:) Not used to wearing coats and not swimming on a cruise.:p

Bill

Thanks, Bill. Wearing coats on a cruise??:eek: For now I prefer being a beach bum than be an eskimo!:D

That list of entertainment is surprising, I cannot believe how many repeated shows they did. At least with the comedians they can offer something different. I saw Steve Moris and Carl Banks, I thought both were very funny, especially Carl Banks.

I haven't cruised Princess since February 2007 and the entertainment wasn't repeated then. I guess if this is the norm then they started this somewhere since then.

I guess I am used to having at least 1 production show repeated on many of my cruises before 2007 (probably not both). While I have cruised with Princess since 2007, I was cruising far more often in the years before 2007.

Without hijacking this thread, I think they are too small and create more anytime problems with waits during peak times.

Thats why when sailing the Sapphire/Diamond we make sure to be confirmed for traditional. IMO ;)

We were lucky and I think it had to do with it being an Alaskan cruise. The 2 times we went it was in the 7- 7:30pm range the dining rooms were maybe half full. I expected there to be waits since we wanted a table for 2 but we were seated right away both times.

Bill

We were lucky and I think it had to do with it being an Alaskan cruise. The 2 times we went it was in the 7- 7:30pm range the dining rooms were maybe half full. I expected there to be waits since we wanted a table for 2 but we were seated right away both times.

Bill

Sounds like it worked well. :)

I guess I am used to having at least 1 production show repeated on many of my cruises before 2007 (probably not both). While I have cruised with Princess since 2007, I was cruising far more often in the years before 2007.

Just for comparisons sake I had my wife dig out our Patters from our Feb 3, 2008 cruise on the Caribbean Princess to the Eastern Caribbean.

I already know I was wrong in one aspect as I thought it was 2007 we cruised.

Sunday - Princess theater - Grand Adventure showtime - 8:30 and 10:30pm

Explorers Lounge - The Super Bowl - 6pm

Monday - Princess Theater - Caribbean Caliente 8:30 and 10:30pm

Explorers Lounge - Comedy showtime - Juggler Paul DiMuzio

7pm,8:30pm and 10:30pm

Tuesday - Princess Theater - Comedy showtime Gary Delena - 8:30 and 10:30 pm

Explorers Lounge - Comedy and Magic -Timm Metiver - 7pm,8:30 pm and 10:30pm

Wednesday - Princess Theater - Beatle Maniacs 7:15pm and 9pm

Explorers Lounge - Big Band dancing - Princess orchestra 7:30 to 8:30pm

Thursday - Princess Theater - Comedy showtime - Sarge - 8:30pm and 10:30 pm

Explorers Lounge - In concert with Bert Stratton - 8:30pm

Friday - Princess Theater - Production show - The Piano Man -8:30 pm and 10:30pm

Explorers Lounge - Comedy showtime Joshua Seth - hypnotist

7:00pm, 8:30pm, and 10:30pm

Saturday- Princess Theater- Paul DiMuzio and Sarge - Juggler and Comedian

7:15pm and 9:00pm

Explorers Lounge - Caribbean Cool Down - 7:45pm til 10:00pm

Bill

Obviously things change from week to week and a lot of entertainers get off one ship and get on another in Alaska and with the end of the season maybe this couldn't be done..... But my patters from Alaska 2004 and 2005 cruises show production shows being repeated on my B2Bs. Truthfully, it wasn't that big of deal. Heck - I have been on Celebrity where the ship is dead by 8 pm.

Maybe I have just cruised Princess more then you (I don't know your history) but this is not uncommon on my sailings.

You are correct about things changing. I was at the airport after the cruise and was talking to a woman who just got off the Sapphire. They were going southbound and we were going northbound.

They also had Steve Moris on their cruise so you're right about the entertainers swapping ships.

I mean it wasn't a deal killer and we enjoyed the cruise immensely. I was just expecting the same selection of entertainment.

We were pretty tired most nights anyway from getting up at 6am for excursions so we got more sleep.

This was my 3rd Princess cruise out of 21 cruises.

We have also been on a Hal cruise where they rolled up the sidewalks very early.

Bill

We were pretty tired most nights anyway from getting up at 6am for excursions so we got more sleep.

This was my 3rd Princess cruise out of 21 cruises.

We have also been on a Hal cruise where they rolled up the sidewalks very early.

l

For some reason - I thought you had been on more sailings on Princess (your name just looks so familiar). I do think that entertainment is more/better in the Caribbean (which I think you compared your patters with).

I must be one of the few who had really good (like outstanding entertainment) on HAL. We had Joel Mason who was great!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and you are right - it is Alaska and very port intensive and just think of it this way - you were able to enjoy your excursions because you slept well :)

Since we knew the shows would be repeated we went the second night of the repeated show and the showroom was about 1/2 to 2/3 full.

Here is the entertainment for the week:

Saturday -Princess Theater Welcome aboard show 10pm

Explorers Lounge - Music by Vitalized 7:15 - 8pm, 9-10pm, 10:30 - close

Sunday -Princess Theater - Do you Wanna Dance 8:15 and 10:15pm

Monday -Princess Theater - Do you wamma dance - 8:15pm

Tuesday - Princess Theater - Tim Triplett hypnotist 8:15 and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge - Kathy Phippard Caberet 8:30pm Movie - My Life in Ruins 10:30pm

Wednesday - Princess Theater I got the Music in Me - 8:15pm

Explorers Lounge - Steve Hites 7:15pm Skagway entertainer

Carl Banks - Comedian 8:15pm and 10:15pm

Thursday - Princess Theater - I got the music in me - 8:15 and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge - Carl Banks comedian - 8:15pm and 10:15pm

Friday - Princess Theater - band-Vitalized - 9:15pm

Bill

It's really a shame but the cutbacks on entertainment are similar on the Ruby, Crown & Emerald. On those ships the lack of seating could be the reason but on the Diamond and Sapphire it not. I guess it's just a dollar thing & something we'll have to accept. No need to rush off to the show after dinner. ;)

Archived