We Saw Kween Karen Off -- Just in Time

MrsMuir

I'm happy to report that DH, Mother and I were able to see the beautiful Amsterdam leave Pier 91 in Seattle with the HAL Board's Sweetheart, Kween Karen, aboard. It was touch-and-go for the last half hour due to Seattle's notorious traffic. We drove from Mother's retirement apartment in Mill Creek at 4:00. All went well until 4:30, when all the cars on I-5 crawled to a dead stop two miles from our exit. Richard managed to get off the freeway and we made our way through every dam red light in town. I was a nervous wreck. Richard had made a sign and everything, and we so wanted Karen to have a cheering section.

At 5:00 we shot onto Garfield and up the ramp. Smoke was coming from Amsterdam's stacks, but her bow lines were still secured. But we overshot the exit ramp and went uphill instead of down. It was hard to direct Richard from the back seat -- Mother was up front, hanging on for dear life I might add. I had Richard turn the car around somewhere up ahead. We ended up back down on the main road, through two interminable red lights, in order to get turned around and up the ramp again. This time we found Smith Cove Park. Amsterdam's bow lines were cast off, and she was easing away from the pier. "Richard, park right here; I'll get the sign out. Stop the car, Richard." I think he snarled at me. Mother said not a word.

It was right then, as the car lurched to a stop, that we heard the ship's whistle. I've never scrambled out of the back seat of our 2-door Accord from the driver's side so fast. Richard had popped the trunk and he handed me the sign, which was about 4 feet tall, and read in big blue letters:

BON

VOYAGE

KWEEN

KAREN

Lordy, I hope she saw me from the Crow's Nest, where she said she'd be cavorting with her Roll Call chums. Richard said that binoculars would have helped, but I held the sign and waved anyway. And I wept, of course, out of shared happiness for a dream fulfilled. I would have been happier only if Richard and I were aboard, too.

What a beautiful sight. Richard took many photos as I stood with the sign. I forgot to say that the weather was glorious: sunny with blue sky and a few clouds, with Mt. Rainier serving as the background to Holland America's gorgeous focal point. A white sailboat slipped in front of Amsterdam's midnight blue hull to perfect the composition. A helicopter made wide circles above the ship as she eased out of her berth and turned towards Seattle, which added to the sense of occasion and excitement.

To our surprise, the ship did indeed head south along the Seattle waterfront, perhaps to bid adieu until next May? We watched her turn north again from Maggie Bluff's Restaurant. I couldn't stand it, so I went back outside and got a couple of shots of the ship from the marina, though I think I was too far away. One more wave, and that was that.

How great is it that we can enjoy our fellow CCer's cruises almost as much as our own? Enough from me; let's hope that Karen will be able to spend a little time sharing her cruise with us on her blog.

Richard just told me he was headed to bed. I thanked him for getting us to our Bon Voyage rendezvous today. "You're welcome," he said. "I know it meant a lot to you."

Life is good. Sleep well, Karen.

Mrs. M.

I too would like to watch Karen sail away from Canada Place on Sunday. Unfortunately, I can't stay quite that late - tomorrow evening is the start of the Jewish Day of Atonement, so I will have to leave before the ship sails. I will go down to Canada Place and watch people board though. I am sure Karen will be somewhere on board, already having a great time.

It's funny, how, as you chat back and forth on these boards, you do feel a connection to those who finally get their chance to sail away on their wonderful adventure.

Mrs. M., bless you for sharing, & your husband for driving you to see Kween Karen off.

So many of us wish we were there with you & are looking forward to Karen's posts.

Have always believed Dreams Do Come True and I love it that Kween Karen is sharing hers with us. It gives us all hope.

I watched her sail via the webcam. Darn thing only changes every 10 min. so I saw the ship with smoke coming out of the smokestack and then I saw part of the ship as it disappeared from the webcam. Smooth sailing Kween. We are all with ya.

Thank you Mrs Muir, Richard and poor Mom petrified in the front seat:D I can just picture the scenario from the way you write. I think a 4 foot sign would definitely stand out.

It will be hard for all of us to wait to hear from Kween Karen and her enjoyment of this cruise, definitely her Dream is Coming True.

Joanie

There's been several mentions of Kween Karen's blog site (various threads), as distinct from a "live" thread here.

Could anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction to find it? If that doesn't somehow violate board rules?

Many thanks - Patricia

OMG !!! I haven't followed this at all,,just happened onto to it. I am wiping tears with my shirt trying to read this. How EXCITING and SWEET !!! So well written,,thank-you for sharing such a neat experience. So, now I'm hooked,,,looked up her blog,,,signed the guest book. So much fun. Great way to follow her trip and give me something to dream about until my trip in Jan.

Thanks, Teri

Good stuff, Mrs. M!!:) Amsterdam will be here in L.A./Long Beach tomorrow - I talked to the SO on Zuiderdam today (also in Long Beach) and their trip down from the Pacific Northwest was a smooth one. Hopefully, Amsterdam (and Kween Karen and friends) will be also!

Thanks to all who enjoyed my report (and hugs to John). I'm a frustrated writer who keeps planning on finishing that Novel after I retire. Unfortunately, at this rate I'll end up like Helen Hoover Santmeyer, who published her first book at a great age and then passed on. If I were Pipedreams I'd post her picture, bless her heart.

I'm so sorry Karen couldn't see us and the sign, but it was fun trying, and I wanted to make sure one of us saw her off. I'll post a pic of our attempt soon, so Karen can see what she missed while cavorting in the Crow's Nest.

Mrs M

Archived