My husband thinks I'm crazy but...

GWoman8920

It's starting to get colder here in the great midwest, and therefore time to put up all the summer clothes.

We cruise in November. Do you think it's crazy to go ahead and start packing? I would rather begin putting outfits in the suitcases instead of packing them up in storage tubs, and then draggin out the storage tubs in 30 days.

For those of you that travel in the winter, to summer clothes destinations, do you think I'm crazy, or practical! (ok, ok, I will admit that cruising in 40 days has me very excited and I want to pack, but isn't there also practicality as well? :D)

OK thanks!

When planning your vacation... packing is part of the ritual and excitement. Some pack the night before, others weeks before.

I say, go for it! The sooner you start your check list and packing, the less stressful your sail away day should be. Have fun.

Happy crusin'!!

I'm leaving next week but like you, I've begun the season change clothing pack/put away thing too. I totally think it makes sense to put those things that you know you'll need in the suitcase now and avoid having to do extra work in a few weeks.

That leaves you more time to think of more things that need to be done or handled before you cruise!! :rolleyes:

You're not crazy at all! Our next cruise in in Feb 2010 and I've already started the packing process. As I put the summer clothes away those going on the cruise with us are either being placed into the suitcase or hung together in one spot in the closet in the spare bedroom all ready to go in the suitcase when I finish the actual packing just before the cruise.

I pack this way every year as we always do a Feb cruise and to do it any other way just wouldn't make any sense to me as why would I want to dig through all the summer clothes later on.;):)

It's what I do! We have a spare bedroom that is barely every used, so the suitcases sit open on the bed. As I go through summer clothes to put them away, I put them in the suitcases instead! AND I shop summer clearance sales to add to the suitcases too.

It makes me happy to put them in the suitcase instead of the closet/tote.

Have fun packing! I am starting allready (we are doing a land vacation to Hawaii this year instead of cruising).

OK you will think I'm even crazier but I pretty much have clothes I just wear on cruises. I have a lot of those islandy kind of dresses and i keep them separate because I really wouldn't wear them here. My husband also has some nicer shorts that he keeps separate and then I throw my bathing suits and coverups in there when summer is over so I just pull that bin down and choose from it depending on how long a trip it is.

This is HILARIOUSLY coincidental. I started the "gathering/pre-packing" this weekend for OUR November cruise, LOL.

I figure I have to have time to gather it all up, then whittle it down if necessary. That kind of packing perfection takes some time and practice, LOL.

Nothing surprises my husband anymore regarding me and cruising. He just rolls his eyes, predictably packs the day before we leave, and enjoys all the well-planned activites and fun that all my obsessing has provided.

We live in Florida so we don't have to pack away our clothes :D but if I did have to, I would either find a place like a guest room or a spare closet to hang them or I would put them in the suitcases just not to have to go searching for something later. :p

Have Fun! We cruise in December and will probably need our jackets :eek:

. . . I book last minute so always keep a suitcase already packed with a dual set of toiletries, dual set of chargers and cords for phone, puter and camera, laundered and folded dress shirts and "touristy" shirts and polos.

When I can get away for a week, I make the online request for quotes, book the cruise, throw in t-shirts, shorts, underwear and socks along with one suit, puter, camera and I'm good-to-go.:)

(Once booked a cruise 4 hours before sailaway):D

I'm with you on the packing early thing! We are from New England, and the season is changing fast here. I've been putting clothes in the duffle bags for about 2 weeks. The worst part is....wait for it....we have a cruise planned for April too, so I'm repacking the bag after we do laundry when we get home! :eek: So that will be about 5 1/2 months in advance! Do you think THAT is too early to pack??:p

I'm still buying stuff right now to take with us on the cruise. I would get the suit cases out and pack what you want to take now--what's the difference if they are packed away in your suit case ready to go or packed away in a plastic container that you will have to spend time going through to find what you want to take....okay there is a difference...time. ;)

P.S. It's still shorts weather here. Still in the 90's. Come November, I will start packing my shorts and T-shorts that I plan to take on the cruise in the suit case. I have a spare room to keep them out of the way.

Sounds like a great idea to me...When I have a cruise booked, I keep a tote in the corner of my bedroom and whenever I find something that I know I will need for the cruise and not use in the meantime, I throw it in there...That way I'm not as apt to forget to pack something important..So it makes perfect sense to me to start packing instead of putting away.....And besides, packing is part of the fun and ritual....

Darla

I don't think you're crazy at all...you know why? I was just doing this myself yesterday!! :p I packed all the summer stuff I knew I wouldn't be taking into the rubbermaid boxes to be stored for the winter and set aside my 'potential' cruise clothes/shoes (all subject to change of course). DH also thinks I'm crazy and of course he doesn't like that stuff is 'left out' a month before our cruise.

It's starting to get colder here in the great midwest, and therefore time to put up all the summer clothes.

We cruise in November. Do you think it's crazy to go ahead and start packing? I would rather begin putting outfits in the suitcases instead of packing them up in storage tubs, and then draggin out the storage tubs in 30 days.

For those of you that travel in the winter, to summer clothes destinations, do you think I'm crazy, or practical! (ok, ok, I will admit that cruising in 40 days has me very excited and I want to pack, but isn't there also practicality as well? :D)

OK thanks!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO GWoman 8920: You are not crazy and it makes a lot of sense to pack now instead of changing clothes then packing for your trip when everything is away for the season.

Wow...maybe I am the crazy one...I don't have enough clothes to pack away summer clothes vs. winter clothes for the season. It all just hangs there in the closet...and depending on the season, I pull from different sides of the closet. :D Some of the summer clothes I layer for winter time, too!

Have fun with it and Happy Cruising!

OK thanks!

Well I cruise in November, and I've had my suite case out with clothes in it for about 3 weeks :D

Archived