Carry on

tmann4

Just wondering if I can carry on soda? Not a lot, but just a half dozen. Also, has anyone ever checked a case of coke? Or do you put it in something to carry on?

You are allowed a "reasonable" amount of soda, water or juice. I usually slap a luggage tag on my 12 pack and it shows up with my luggage!

I've put a luggage tag on a 12-pk of soda once and it got punctured between the time I checked it and the time it got to my cabin. One of the cans was empty and the pack was soaked. I assume it also sprayed someone else's luggage but I have no way of knowing. I only hope that it didn't damage anything. I won't do that again!

I usually put some soda in my luggage, sealed in ziplock type bags. Gallon sized ones work well and the sodas can be wedged in around clothes or shoes. I use the ziplocks for wet swimsuits for the trip home. None of the sodas packed in luggage were ever damaged. I also will usually put a few bottles or cans of soda in my carry-on bag so I can have one to drink when I board. Sometimes the checked bags don't show up until late in the evening. I've never had a problem with soda in my carry-on.

In the past I have boxed both canned Diet Pepsi and water, as Murphy doesn't do diet coke, and taped our cabin info several places around the box. He likes his diet drink just before bed, and prefers canned over bottles. What ever makes him happy!

I've been know to add a few diet cokes too, just to even out the load. Generally a 12 X 12 size box, but I have know some folks how put it in thier checked luggage then use the empty case for souveniers to being home.

I usually put some soda in my luggage, sealed in ziplock type bags. Gallon sized ones work well and the sodas can be wedged in around clothes or shoes. I use the ziplocks for wet swimsuits for the trip home. None of the sodas packed in luggage were ever damaged. I also will usually put a few bottles or cans of soda in my carry-on bag so I can have one to drink when I board. Sometimes the checked bags don't show up until late in the evening. I've never had a problem with soda in my carry-on.

I have never understood the logic behind this. If something is going to puncture your can of soda, it has to punture the ziplock bag first. A hole in the bag means liquid can get to your luggage. Why bother?

I have never understood the logic behind this. If something is going to puncture your can of soda, it has to punture the ziplock bag first. A hole in the bag means liquid can get to your luggage. Why bother?
I wasn't really worried about punctures since my luggage will hopefully protect against that. I'm concerned about them putting someone's 150# overloaded suitcase on top of mine and causing the top to depress and squish a can, making the top pop open. If you've ever left a can of soda in the freeezer too long, you're familiar with a similar phenomena caused by pressure build-up due to the expansion of the fluid by freezing.

If someone punctures through my luggage to hit the sodas, my clothing will be damaged anyway by whatever managed to cut through my suitcase and clothing.

When my soda pack was damaged previously, it was because the pack was by itself. It looked like the pack was hit against something sharp (maybe a metal corner?) that tore through the thin cardboard packaging and nicked a can.

Archived