Breaking News !! RCCL to review Gratuities

I agree!!! I have said all along that RCI should be paying their wages not the paying customer. However, I prepaid the tips simply because RCI are cheap and dont pay them decent wages.

YOU will pay the wages regardless, though - it's so frustrating that so many people don't seem to get that. It doesn't matter what they call it or if it's paid before, after or included in your total price - you, the paying customer, will pay the salaries of the crew one way or another. It's not like they are going to magically find money to make people go from $50 a month to the $1500 - 2000 they have been getting paid with the current system. They would raise cruise fares by hundreds per person to suddenly pay this amount. Lawyers don't pay their paralegals from their personal bank account - they pay them with the money generated from cases. Doctors don't pay their receptionists with money from their wallet, they pay them with money made on patients. Retail shops don't pay their cashiers from their piggy bank at home, they pay them with the money made from people purchasing their wares. RCCL is no different. In this current structure, they charge you less for your cruise and you pay the workers. It would be like the GAP discounting the clothing 20% and then you pay a 'service fee' of 20% to the salesperson -its the same money, just being spent differently.

Now I'm not talking about the quote above but of other posters that keep pretending that the American system is worse. We get paid MORE then the flat rate in GB or OZ. We work as hard or as little as we want and we have direct control over the money we make. It is very, very rare that a good server in the US gets stiffed. Most good servers average 18% of their total checks for the night, meaning a couple to few hundred a night however many nights or days you want to work. And of the 6 places I've worked in as a server only ONE didn't have medical coverage.

Why don't people stop with the emotional responses and just think for a moment. You pay $1000 for your cruise. That includes food (not specialty), shows, most activities, room and transport. It doesn't include the service persons salary. They are like a sub-contractor. They get paid a small rate for being on the ship and they get paid directly from you. Now, if you want RCCL to pay their salaries, then your cruise will cost more like $1400 per person to generate monies that they weren't paying before. They aren't slaves, they aren't groveling (I've never seen a service member grovel) and they aren't begging. Gosh, get over yourself. They are getting paid handsomely. It is just a matter of difference over who pays them. You are using their services - so you of course have to pay for that. Or did you think they were indentured servants? Their salary is not included in your fare - not sure how many times I can say that. They are fine with that structure, RCCL is as well. It seems that they haven't really communicated it very well in Europe, though.

I think they should (and will) just make it a prepaid non-removable gratiuty. But that is absolutely no different than how it is now. Nor would it be different if they just raised your fare. The money is still coming from you, or me or whoever is paying for the cruise.

YOU will pay the wages regardless, though - it's so frustrating that so many people don't seem to get that. It doesn't matter what they call it or if it's paid before, after or included in your total price - you, the paying customer, will pay the salaries of the crew one way or another. It's not like they are going to magically find money to make people go from $50 a month to the $1500 - 2000 they have been getting paid with the current system. They would raise cruise fares by hundreds per person to suddenly pay this amount. Lawyers don't pay their paralegals from their personal bank account - they pay them with the money generated from cases. Doctors don't pay their receptionists with money from their wallet, they pay them with money made on patients. Retail shops don't pay their cashiers from their piggy bank at home, they pay them with the money made from people purchasing their wares. RCCL is no different. In this current structure, they charge you less for your cruise and you pay the workers. It would be like the GAP discounting the clothing 20% and then you pay a 'service fee' of 20% to the salesperson -its the same money, just being spent differently.

Now I'm not talking about the quote above but of other posters that keep pretending that the American system is worse. We get paid MORE then the flat rate in GB or OZ. We work as hard or as little as we want and we have direct control over the money we make. It is very, very rare that a good server in the US gets stiffed. Most good servers average 18% of their total checks for the night, meaning a couple to few hundred a night however many nights or days you want to work. And of the 6 places I've worked in as a server only ONE didn't have medical coverage.

Why don't people stop with the emotional responses and just think for a moment. You pay $1000 for your cruise. That includes food (not specialty), shows, most activities, room and transport. It doesn't include the service persons salary. They are like a sub-contractor. They get paid a small rate for being on the ship and they get paid directly from you. Now, if you want RCCL to pay their salaries, then your cruise will cost more like $1400 per person to generate monies that they weren't paying before. They aren't slaves, they aren't groveling (I've never seen a service member grovel) and they aren't begging. Gosh, get over yourself. They are getting paid handsomely. It is just a matter of difference over who pays them. You are using their services - so you of course have to pay for that. Or did you think they were indentured servants? Their salary is not included in your fare - not sure how many times I can say that. They are fine with that structure, RCCL is as well. It seems that they haven't really communicated it very well in Europe, though.

I think they should (and will) just make it a prepaid non-removable gratiuty. But that is absolutely no different than how it is now. Nor would it be different if they just raised your fare. The money is still coming from you, or me or whoever is paying for the cruise.

I'm sorry, but you miss the point. Many people do not want to pay the server, cleaner etc. directly. They believe it is up to the cruiseline or business to pay their staff a liveable wage. That can then be part of the cost of buying the products certainly, but that is what it is.

I think you have probably spent too much time as a server and just can't get over the fact that others have their opinion and will most definitely do the way they are most comfortable with and that way is not necessarily your way. btw - if it is pre-paid or non removable it is not a gratuity or a tip - it is simply an extra charge just as is port and taxes extra charges.

And when the servers etc are telling you all about their families and all the people they support and how much they miss them and generally, how hard they are done by by being on that ship, then yes, that falls under grovelling in my book. I hate to see anyone grovell.

The don't need to communicate it well or any other way in Europe. They don't have to do the same as they do in the U.S. and they don't. Please understand - you have no right whatsoever telling other people from other countries that they have to do it "your" way and yes that is what you are doing.

I'm sorry, but you miss the point. Many people do not want to pay the server, cleaner etc. directly. They believe it is up to the cruiseline or business to pay their staff a liveable wage. That can then be part of the cost of buying the products certainly, but that is what it is.

I think you have probably spent too much time as a server and just can't get over the fact that others have their opinion and will most definitely do the way they are most comfortable with and that way is not necessarily your way. btw - if it is pre-paid or non removable it is not a gratuity or a tip - it is simply an extra charge just as is port and taxes extra charges.

And when the servers etc are telling you all about their families and all the people they support and how much they miss them and generally, how hard they are done by by being on that ship, then yes, that falls under grovelling in my book. I hate to see anyone grovell.

The don't need to communicate it well or any other way in Europe. They don't have to do the same as they do in the U.S. and they don't. Please understand - you have no right whatsoever telling other people from other countries that they have to do it "your" way and yes that is what you are doing.

I can't possibly say it again but, it is not 'my' way. Tipping on a cruise ship IS NOT AMERICAN in any way, shape or form! We need to see a total of a bill, for food or stateroom cleaning service, to calculate either 15% for average service, 18% for good service or 20% for great service. Since that isn't happening IT IS NOT AN AMERICAN tipping style!! Geesh!

You have no right, really, telling people running a business how to run their business or how to pay their employees. They are doing it THEIR way, not an American way, not a European way - their way. And if you aren't paying by their structure, then they will probably just make you pay it anyway by making it non-removable. They aren't going to suddenly change their pay structure and you really don't have the right to tell them to and yes, that is what you are doing. Just the fact that they put out that press release to begin with should let you know that thats what they will do.

And they aren't GB just because they are docked there anymore than they are the US because they are docked there. They are a moving destination of their own and if people could respect that then I guess that this wouldn't have happened.

To just want the wording changed, which is all this argument is, is silly, to me. You don't want to pay someone directly, but you want to hand the exact same amount you would pay them directly to their boss instead. It just seems like semantics to me, but whatever. I only spent a few years of my fabulous life serving but I made lots of money, lots of friends, got to see two great cities inside out and it afforded me to go to school, vacation get a couple of cars and whatnot, so I guess it had been good to me. However, that has nothing to do with it. I expect people to tip here the way you tip in the US. I expect people to tip in GB the way you tip in GB. I expect people to tip on a cruise ship the way you tip on a cruise ship. To not do it while calling out semantics to me, is disrespectful.

And I would like for you to think if ever in talking to someone you mention missing a loved one and that you are far from home or whatnot I certainly hope that they aren't so jaded that they think you are groveling for attention or money from them. Those people were probably thinking you were actually listening and sympathising, without thought of their monetary gain, and to know you were thinking so negatively of them at that time is a real shame.

As hesitant as I am to joint his melee, I have to agree with Cruzaholic. She is not "kidding herself." She knows what she is talking about. Yes, the reason has somewhat to do with money. It's a business! But, it has very little to do with crew/staff salaries. It's a matter of survival.

Thank you Paul. You're a Captain and, well, you know what I do. We'll just keep on "kidding ourselves." ;)

I strongly believe mandatory gratuities should be part of the cruise price. If the cruise price can include port charges, then why not the gratuity? Can I not pay the port charges because I am going to stay on the ship all the way?

I don't understand the worry about poor service. If we are not happy with a waiter, we can always complain to the manager/Matre D. As long as it is reasonable I am sure it will be dealt with.

I still remember not long ago Cruise Critic ran a story about cruisers spotting a list of "cruisers who had their automatic-gratuity removed", hanging in the kitchen wall of a Carnival ship. I really wonder what that was for.

Also, if cruise lines like Crystal, Seabourn, Silverseas...etc are promoting that their staff don't expect tips and no one has a problem with those, then why should RCCL be worried? If I were to work on a cruise ship, then I'd much rather work for the likes of Crystal...etc. I also would be happier to sail on a ship where I know I have paid a fair price to all the workers aboard.

I still remember not long ago Cruise Critic ran a story about cruisers spotting a list of "cruisers who had their automatic-gratuity removed", hanging in the kitchen wall of a Carnival ship. I really wonder what that was for.

Ouch! I wonder if those guests had a little something "extra" added to their dish, lol!

Colleen

Hope that someone can post the link to this story. I'm also wondering if those guests get some "extras" added to thier dishes:eek:

For my pennies worth from a Brit, when we've travelled with Royal Caribbean, we've always gone for the pre-paid gratuities, which does make life easier.

I do agree in part that tipping should only be done if the person serving you has given you good or great service, and that the cruise lines should be making sure their staff are paid a decent wage. Tips should only be an 'extra income' to them. In the UK, we have the minimum wage set to something like £5.60 per hour, but of course this isn't applicable on cruise ships.

I feel that on all the Royal Caribbean ships we've been on, the staff have deserved their tips, and in some cases more so, especially Adrianne and Tito on Independence last year, so have no quibbles about tipping more.

Went on P&O Ventura earlier this year, and with the exception of a couple of members of staff, we didn't tip much, mainly as we'd received service which we felt didn't warrant tipping. And of course it's not compulsory on P&O. Yeah, I felt bad about not tipping a couple of the staff, but then the way I look at it, when I'm at work, I don't get tips for just doing my job. Then again, I don't get tips when I've done an exceptional job either :)

Tipping I think shows the difference in culture between the UK and US cruisers, as we Brits assume that the cruise staff are being paid a decent wage based on UK rates, but I don't think this is the case.

If they introduce tipping on a compulsory basis, and the staff aren't seen as earning it, that could become an issue!

Scrozuk

Tipping I think shows the difference in culture between the UK and US cruisers, as we Brits assume that the cruise staff are being paid a decent wage based on UK rates, but I don't think this is the case.

If they introduce tipping on a compulsory basis, and the staff aren't seen as earning it, that could become an issue!

Scrozuk

Hi Scrozuk,

I think that the TA's in the UK need to do a much better job of letting people know the customary gratuity guidelines on the ship. Of course people are going to assume that the pay structure is what they are used to - RCCL needs to make sure they are explaining when it could be culture shock to many passengers. I also read here about how some TA's are a bit sneaky in how they present the price over there....

I read that in the UK, waiters get paid about $11 an hour if they are over 21. The lowest night I ever had here was $16 an hour (3.50 per hour plus tips) and that's because we had a hurricane warning:eek:! But don't you have a service charge tacked onto your bill which effectively pays the servers wage? If so, are you able to tell the manager to take it off if the service wasn't good? I'm curious.

No it is not general to have a service charge added to a bill,it is not unknown,but if it is there the general rule would be to pay the amount stated. That ofcourse is a sweeping statement.Just understand that most pax are not aware that cruise staff are paid so poorly and tips are needed to give them a living wage,for crying out loud put the prices up and lets have done with it....

No it is not general to have a service charge added to a bill,it is not unknown,but if it is there the general rule would be to pay the amount stated. That ofcourse is a sweeping statement.Just understand that most pax are not aware that cruise staff are paid so poorly and tips are needed to give them a living wage,for crying out loud put the prices up and lets have done with it....

As I mentioned earlier, paying a flat wage of $11 an hour, like in the UK would have made me miss out on a LOT of money when I was serving. I averaged about $25 - $35 an hour from being paid $3.50 an hour and the rest tips. So by paying them what they are used to being paid now, which from friends I know that have worked as servers (not sure about cabin stewards) they would have to supplement from $50 a month to $2000 a month - that's a big chunk that's going to be handed to me as a paying customer - I'd rather pay the pre-paid grat, personally. As well, if we say - oh, a living wage should only be $1000 a month how is that fair to the people routinely making more than that? If my employer when I was serving said, I know you make around $30 an hour, but I'm going to pay everyone a flat rate of $15 an hour so you can always be assured of having the same amount every week I would have said bye bye!:p

It's all so based on opinions isn't it? Some people want the price of the cruise to go up, some want the grats automatically paid, some want to not pay any grats, some want to do it themselves.....they need to just find one way and do it across the board!

Hi Scrozuk,

I think that the TA's in the UK need to do a much better job of letting people know the customary gratuity guidelines on the ship. Of course people are going to assume that the pay structure is what they are used to - RCCL needs to make sure they are explaining when it could be culture shock to many passengers. I also read here about how some TA's are a bit sneaky in how they present the price over there....

I read that in the UK, waiters get paid about $11 an hour if they are over 21. The lowest night I ever had here was $16 an hour (3.50 per hour plus tips) and that's because we had a hurricane warning:eek:! But don't you have a service charge tacked onto your bill which effectively pays the servers wage? If so, are you able to tell the manager to take it off if the service wasn't good? I'm curious.

Agreed about the TA's, they can be sneaky. It is a strange mentality over here, and one thing that drives me crazy is when I hear someone who's been to a restaurant, the foods been lousy and complained, and the staff have bent over backwards to sort it out for you to get it to your satisfaction, then don't get a tip cos the food wasn't right in the first place. Talk about lame excuse. In my eyes, they would get a tip as they have provided me with service and made it their responsibility to put it right.

I don't know what the rates are for the waiters, but I do know that there's a law coming in over here to stop the bosses using tips to shore up staff wages, in some cases up to the minimum wage. Always viewed tips to be 'ON TOP' of their normal wage.

We don't have a standard service charge tacked onto the bill, it's only voluntary, and if you pay by credit card, you have option to add a gratuity. The service charge is only compulsory if say you're in TGI Fridays with a group of 10 or more that they add 10% to the bill.

scrozuk

I do get it and I think it would be better for the cruislines to add on to the price of the cruise, I dont want to have to tip staff, I think its demeaning to the staff to have to rely on tips and they do have to grovel to customers even the ones that are horrible to them, I have seen it and think its sad. And such a lot dont tip, whether its because they didnt realise or were not told or they had bad service or just being tight. If they paid wages they would have regular income.

CC would become very quiet if we didnt have this to argue about every week. LOL;)

I do get it and I think it would be better for the cruislines to add on to the price of the cruise, I dont want to have to tip staff, I think its demeaning to the staff to have to rely on tips and they do have to grovel to customers even the ones that are horrible to them, I have seen it and think its sad. And such a lot dont tip, whether its because they didnt realise or were not told or they had bad service or just being tight. If they paid wages they would have regular income.

CC would become very quiet if we didnt have this to argue about every week. LOL;)

True - I'm in the hospitality industry now, but it's a private dining club and I am administrative, not service staff. And we still have to be wonderful to the folks that are horrible! lol. Tips or no tips, hospitality (in the US - not sure about other places) means we will bend over backwards to ensure a great experience. We will qualify your feelings regardless, we will make sure you feel that we understand your issues and we will work on setting it right. I don't find any of that groveling but its interesting that a few folks from 'across the pond' have used that word. We take great pride in our service here, and people making tips here usually make far more than other countries making salary for the same job. I think professional servers here are more respected (great food knowledge, most have some form of a sommelier certificate) than perhaps over there? Or it could just be the perception that we make less than minimum wage - which I've never seen happen, ever.

It would be boring without all this fuss, wouldn't it? LOL

Also - I'm so curious. I know that 'holiday' is to you what 'vacation' is to me. How do you refer to 'holidays' like Xmas, Easter and the like? Is it holiday but the meaning is different or is it another word? Thanks for satisfying that curiosity!

True - I'm in the hospitality industry now, but it's a private dining club and I am administrative, not service staff. And we still have to be wonderful to the folks that are horrible! lol. Tips or no tips, hospitality (in the US - not sure about other places) means we will bend over backwards to ensure a great experience. We will qualify your feelings regardless, we will make sure you feel that we understand your issues and we will work on setting it right. I don't find any of that groveling but its interesting that a few folks from 'across the pond' have used that word. We take great pride in our service here, and people making tips here usually make far more than other countries making salary for the same job. I think professional servers here are more respected (great food knowledge, most have some form of a sommelier certificate) than perhaps over there? Or it could just be the perception that we make less than minimum wage - which I've never seen happen, ever.

It would be boring without all this fuss, wouldn't it? LOL

Also - I'm so curious. I know that 'holiday' is to you what 'vacation' is to me. How do you refer to 'holidays' like Xmas, Easter and the like? Is it holiday but the meaning is different or is it another word? Thanks for satisfying that curiosity!

Without meaning to be rude but servers here probably get minimum wages and some get tips but its not regarded as a well paid job and I would say most the jobs are taken by students, people between jobs or those without qualifications, or people who just require part time work therefore most will not have any expertise in the food wine etc.................. not meaning to belittle anyone in the UK btw, but thats how it is where I live. I am not saying all, some will probably be better than others and make lots of money, but I would say most. Btw, I have the utmost respect for those working in the food industry, its a thankless job most the time.

Holidays are vacations and Christmas and Easter, its all lumped in one really. Its usually any time we are not at work, we have bank holidays too, where we get a number of days off a year where the banks are closed, so most businesses close too.

We just refer to them as Xmas and Easter as in what are you doing for Xmas etc?.

I guess as regards tipping we are all entrenched to a large degree in our own cultural ways and Im no different. I too regard the low wage shored up with tips as somehow demeaning to the waiters. Ive lost count of the number of times on holliday to the US the amount of times we have ended up in a conversation with waiters or waitresses about their low wages and you are left with the impression that they are letting you know that they expect to be tipped which is their right of course as they are not being payed a decent wage by their employers, but I still find it annoying. Again its a cultural thing but like the old saying goes 'when in Rome do as the Romans do'.

My one question about the staff of cruise ships is who pays them for things like holliday time or sick pay?. Everywhere on the boards I read of them working 50 or 60 hours 6 or 7 days a week. Is this the case?. If it is it seems like madness. Are there not regulations that limit working hours to 40 hours a week?.

We just refer to them as Xmas and Easter as in what are you doing for Xmas etc?.

I guess as regards tipping we are all entrenched to a large degree in our own cultural ways and Im no different. I too regard the low wage shored up with tips as somehow demeaning to the waiters. Ive lost count of the number of times on holliday to the US the amount of times we have ended up in a conversation with waiters or waitresses about their low wages and you are left with the impression that they are letting you know that they expect to be tipped which is their right of course as they are not being payed a decent wage by their employers, but I still find it annoying. Again its a cultural thing but like the old saying goes 'when in Rome do as the Romans do'.

My one question about the staff of cruise ships is who pays them for things like holliday time or sick pay?. Everywhere on the boards I read of them working 50 or 60 hours 6 or 7 days a week. Is this the case?. If it is it seems like madness. Are there not regulations that limit working hours to 40 hours a week?.

That's a great question! I'll ask my friends what happened with sick time. Although I know that they aren't made to adhere to the 40 hour work week thing. Possibly one of the reasons for not being owned by the US or UK... You have to undertand, I think, that to a person from a third world country, $2000 American dollars a month is a HUGE amount of salary and usually (I would assume to them) worth the hours.

And I'm glad you and Maz were able to enlighten me as to the feelings regarding servers there - it's a bit different here - yes, students and others do work as servers but even the 18 year olds here where I work take home $450 after taxes as servers - not bad for that age and they have a heck of a fine food knowledge and wine knowledge at a very young age. The busboys employed at per se in NYC have mandatory ballet lessons so that they move gracefully through the dining room - true story! I think the biggest misconception is that servers here are only getting below minimum wage. No server I know makes below or even equal to minimum wage - they all make far beyond that. So there isn't any groveling, it's just people working their jobs and getting performance pay!:)

That's a great question! I'll ask my friends what happened with sick time. Although I know that they aren't made to adhere to the 40 hour work week thing. Possibly one of the reasons for not being owned by the US or UK... You have to undertand, I think, that to a person from a third world country, $2000 American dollars a month is a HUGE amount of salary and usually (I would assume to them) worth the hours.

And I'm glad you and Maz were able to enlighten me as to the feelings regarding servers there - it's a bit different here - yes, students and others do work as servers but even the 18 year olds here where I work take home $450 after taxes as servers - not bad for that age and they have a heck of a fine food knowledge and wine knowledge at a very young age. The busboys employed at per se in NYC have mandatory ballet lessons so that they move gracefully through the dining room - true story! I think the biggest misconception is that servers here are only getting below minimum wage. No server I know makes below or even equal to minimum wage - they all make far beyond that. So there isn't any groveling, it's just people working their jobs and getting performance pay!:)

It seems its more of a career in the US and a good one too if they earn that sort of money and the extra training in food and wine would make them very knowledgable people and interesting to talk to.

Ballet lessons?? wow!! LOL

You see, even you and I have learnt a few new things today. :)

:)

It seems its more of a career in the US and a good one too if they earn that sort of money and the extra training in food and wine would make them very knowledgable people and interesting to talk to.

I sure did! I finally know when I'm going on holiday and what I'm doing for Easter!!:pjk

I sure did! I finally know when I'm going on holiday and what I'm doing for Easter!!:pjk

And Im going to the US to get a job as a server , LOL :p

Lucky Princess,, I think you must have been a "Lucky Princess" because I know most servers do not make up from 25 dollars an hour.. and after taxes,,.. scary thought.

Some servers in high end places may make that sort of money,, but please,, if the waitress at Dennys makes that kind of dough,, well, why send our kids to college.. LOL

Archived