Breaking News !! RCCL to review Gratuities

The first thing I do is give my room steward a $ 20.00. I tell him this has nothing to do with the final tip.It is the same $20.00 for 3 or 5 day.You force me to tip then they get minimim just like when 18% is added to a restaurant check.

Maybe its time RCI paid more to their ship staff and less to their stockholders!

Plenty of arguement and opinions on this subject and quite a few guesses along with one or two bigoted views on certain Nationalities .... so how many really know the Truth? what does a Cabin Steward earn ? and how many hours does He/She really work ! ......no more guesses or my friend says its X amount it really is time for RCI to stand up and be counted..... only then can people make a well informed decision not based on Hearsay!

As for the head of RCI UK .... :rolleyes:

It must depend on your maitre'd. On our last cruise the maitre d' visited our table (actually all tables) nearly every night. By the second night he new everybody's name and addressed us by name the rest of the cruise. He would spend about 5 minutes at each table and would tell very interesting stories about his experience working on cruise ships. On lobster night he came by and split the shell and removed the meat. One night he asked us if there was anything special he could arrange. I asked for grand marnier souffle and the next night everyone at our table got one - and we were the only table that had the souffle. I am sure he asked the same question of every table and each table probably got their custom order.

He enlivened the evening dining experience and certainly earned his tip.

I gave up on it a while ago, and just auto tip the standard plus extra where appropriate.

I still think tipping is for front line workers, Management NEVER gets tipped, and they are management.

The amount is minor though so after a few cruises I quit making a point of not tipping them.

I just have to get his off my chest - The one person I usually hate tipping is the Matre D. In almost all of my cruises no matter what line it is - we don't see the Matre D at all - never comes to the table - except for the very last night when - yes when we are handing out tips. Perhaps I don't understand what that job entails. We still tip him, but not sure what it is for. He should be on salary instead. My 2 cents.

LOL... You've been lucky. On our Voyager Canary Islands cruise we couldn't get the MD to LEAVE our table! He stood around and yakked the entire cruise. Night after night after night..... and if he saw us at lunch, then too! Got to the point we'd see him coming and we'd all be muttering "Oh S--T!!!

Then you get the situation we saw this summer on Grand Princess, where the line of UK passengers stretched throughout the atrium for most of the first two sea days. They were removing their auto-tip charges, and some were quite hostile about it.

I really think what the cruise lines and travel agencies need to do is educate their UK-based passengers about how the cost of cruising is different compared to their normal package holidays, and maybe even go so far as to have them sign a document that they understand the terms and conditions before they book. The complaint I have often heard is that people from the UK had no idea that the cruise fare did not include things like dining and hotel charges, tours, and specialty restaurants.

Incorrect, its about time RCI payed a suitable wage to their employees and stopped forcing customers from countries other than the US into uncomfortable situations with regards tipping.

There are some posters treading a very thin line on this thread, and are in danger of offending a very proud nation.

Incorrect, its about time RCI payed a suitable wage to their employees and stopped forcing customers from countries other than the US into uncomfortable situations with regards tipping.

There are some posters treading a very thin line on this thread, and are in danger of offending a very proud nation.

YOu will pay the same regardless - actually more if you think RCCL will up their hourly wage - your talking about several hundred more per cruiser. Why does that seem so important to you - making your cruise more expensive? I'm not being smarmy - I'm just asking because I don't understand. It seems half a dozen of one and six of the other. Either you pay grautity or you pay more fare. Who cares how and why? You're paying regardless.

YOu will pay the same regardless - actually more if you think RCCL will up their hourly wage - your talking about several hundred more per cruiser. Why does that seem so important to you - making your cruise more expensive? I'm not being smarmy - I'm just asking because I don't understand. It seems half a dozen of one and six of the other. Either you pay grautity or you pay more fare. Who cares how and why? You're paying regardless.

Because as as British person who whilst aware of the American tipping system doesn't feel comfortable with it. I would much prefer to have the charge included in my cruise fare. If that raises the price to a level that I then choose not to purchase then fine.

What I don't agree with is insinuations that British people are cheap. It's a fundamental cultural difference that an so called international company should have put right long before now.

Let me be clear, if I receive exceptional service from a crew member I will tip. But like the guy who grabbed my trolley from my wife and pushed it 50 yards from the store front to my car in Florida and excepted a tip - no.

The abismal wages paid to staff by the cruise lines would be illegal in most European countries. Meanness is not the reason for the low tipping they have found in Europe. It is that Europeans are used to their service staffs being paid a good living wage.

Many Europeans cruising for the first time would have no idea they were expected to pay the staff wages on top of their cruise cost rather than within it and would only tip for service "above and beyond" which would be their norm.

I would like to see a non-removable service charge billed to each person on every cruise. If someone had a problem,with a waiter or steward etc, a trip to the customer service desk to report the problem would need to be made. If the server/steward etc. didn't fix the problem, then that part of the service charge could be removed. If the problem is corrected, then no reduction would apply to the service charge.

I have seen too many times where people say they like paying cash for their tip and the usual reason is that they are going to stiff the employees but don't have the nerve to say that. It's always I like to personally hand them the money etc.

I know many cruise lines have tips added to the sail cards. I can't tell you the number of times someone asks about tips and right away some cheapo says take the tips off the first day and IF you get good service, you can give the server a few bucks.

If everyone, including whatever the cruise line feels is appropriate for children had to pay the service charge, the servers would still try hard to get something extra. I know we tip above the suggested amounts and put the suggested amounts on our SeaPass and the extra is given in cash.

I realize that it costs families a considerable amount in tips. That's because there are more people in a family than just say a couple of people. The biggest gripe from families is that it's not extra work to clean a cabin, my child doesn't eat much etc. I darn sure wouldn't want to be cleaning up your child's dirty diapers, or the mess made in the dining room from a child's spilled food.

I know I am just giving a couple of examples, but I do feel strongly that it isn't up to those of us who do tip to cover all the others who don't. JMO.

Then you get the situation we saw this summer on Grand Princess, where the line of UK passengers stretched throughout the atrium for most of the first two sea days. They were removing their auto-tip charges, and some were quite hostile about it.

I really think what the cruise lines and travel agencies need to do is educate their UK-based passengers about how the cost of cruising is different compared to their normal package holidays, and maybe even go so far as to have them sign a document that they understand the terms and conditions before they book. The complaint I have often heard is that people from the UK had no idea that the cruise fare did not include things like dining and hotel charges, tours, and specialty restaurants.

IF you are a first time cruiser I'll buy your argment. I'll let you slide if it is your second cruise. On your third cruise or later you get called a liar, and if you don't like it tough.

And as an aside, you Brits sure know what a tip is, your laws may have changed but you aren't ignorant or stupid that's for dang sure, my dad was stationed in England in WW2 before going over to France on D-Day and the Brit behind the bar after my dad had paid for his drink snatched up the change(he had put down a large denomination note 10 pounds lets say) that was on the bar that my dad had left there, which is the way we do it here in the USA so the barkeep can keep taking money from the patron as he keeps getting refills, the barkeep told my dad and the other GI's at the bar "Oh I thought that was my tip." Now this was in 1944 so the guy had to know the US custom before as plenty of GI's were there long before my dad and his buddies.

In addition - if a server's tips are below minimum wage for an extended period of time s/he will probably be out of a job soon anyway.

Not necessarily. Some markets are seasonal. For instance, where I live our season starts at Thanksgiving and goes through the end of May if we're lucky. That's when I make my money. The summertime and fall are very, very slow. I save part of my wintertime earnings to carry me thru the lean months. But, some servers aren't able to do this if they have car payments, kids, etc.

The abismal wages paid to staff by the cruise lines would be illegal in most European countries. Meanness is not the reason for the low tipping they have found in Europe. It is that Europeans are used to their service staffs being paid a good living wage.

Many Europeans cruising for the first time would have no idea they were expected to pay the staff wages on top of their cruise cost rather than within it and would only tip for service "above and beyond" which would be their norm.

I see your point. But, when I travel to a new destination (whether it is a new cruiseline or a country to which I've never been) I do research beforehand so that I know what the local customs are. I guess not everyone does this, but wouldn't it be nice if they did.

IF you are a first time cruiser I'll buy your argment. I'll let you slide if it is your second cruise. On your third cruise or later you get called a liar, and if you don't like it tough.

And as an aside, you Brits sure know what a tip is, your laws may have changed but you aren't ignorant or stupid that's for dang sure, my dad was stationed in England in WW2 before going over to France on D-Day and the Brit behind the bar after my dad had paid for his drink snatched up the change(he had put down a large denomination note 10 pounds lets say) that was on the bar that my dad had left there, which is the way we do it here in the USA so the barkeep can keep taking money from the patron as he keeps getting refills, the barkeep told my dad and the other GI's at the bar "Oh I thought that was my tip." Now this was in 1944 so the guy had to know the US custom before as plenty of GI's were there long before my dad and his buddies.

Agreed, we are not stupid. And that's exactly why this Brit knows that using tips to subsidise someone's wages is wrong. Whether it be on board a ship or on land. This practice is illegal in my country - why is that do you think?

I see your point. But, when I travel to a new destination (whether it is a new cruiseline or a country to which I've never been) I do research beforehand so that I know what the local customs are. I guess not everyone does this, but wouldn't it be nice if they did.

I agree with you.

People that do their research before a cruise, like CC members, are not necessarily representative of the usual cruiser from their countries. That's why we don't need to cross lines and label cruisers from certain nationalities as X or Y.

But, we all have to acknowledge that there is a problem, and RCCL needs to find a solution. I think that Katiel53, wrote the best idea,

"a non-removable service charge billed to each person on every cruise. If someone had a problem,with a waiter or steward etc, a trip to the customer service desk to report the problem would need to be made. If the server/steward etc. didn't fix the problem, then that part of the service charge could be removed. If the problem is corrected, then no reduction would apply to the service charge."

This way we wont have the Grand Princess situation described by spongerob.

Because as as British person who whilst aware of the American tipping system doesn't feel comfortable with it. I would much prefer to have the charge included in my cruise fare. If that raises the price to a level that I then choose not to purchase then fine.

What I don't agree with is insinuations that British people are cheap. It's a fundamental cultural difference that an so called international company should have put right long before now.

Let me be clear, if I receive exceptional service from a crew member I will tip. But like the guy who grabbed my trolley from my wife and pushed it 50 yards from the store front to my car in Florida and excepted a tip - no.

Okay, so you just don't like the wording. So a removable service charge added to the price of the cruise is fine with you? If that's representative of most then I would think that's probably what they will do. I don't think British (or any) people are cheap. I just think they want to put their own idea of tipping onto a cruise ship. I'd like it if I could do that, too with the American system. This way I would know how much everything is costing, what the total is and that the server was getting what I wanted them to recieve. Alas, we are both out of luck. It is neither an American or European tipping system. It is a cruise ship and they have their own system. For us not to adhere to it screws everything up (obviously:D) and will make them just tack on a non-removable service charge in those markets. But since that seems favourable there, then I think its a good solution.:)

Agreed, we are not stupid. And that's exactly why this Brit knows that using tips to subsidise someone's wages is wrong. Whether it be on board a ship or on land. This practice is illegal in my country - why is that do you think?

At the end of the day whether you are British, American, Asian or any other nationality you hold your own purse strings and it is up to you to decide whether to give a tip or not. American should stop the holyer than thou attitude towards the British on this topic. Just agree to differ!!! Yes Brits no how to tip and I would hazzard a guess that most do for good service as is our norm. I would also guess that some American don't alway tip. As for the statement made

Royal Caribbean International vice president and UK managing director Robin Shaw disclosed that the payment of gratuities to renumerate cruise ship employees had become a “significant issue”.

Speaking at the first Cruise Forum as part of the ABTA Travel Convention in Barcelona, Shaw said the company was experiencing a “huge cultural difference” between US passengers who are used to tipping for service and those from the UK who are not. He admitted that cruise ship staff received far less tips when British passengers are on board.

Yes this is a very offensive statement made about British people and from a person who holds a significant position within RCCL he should actually get his facts correct before making such a statement.

BRITISH PEOPLE DO TIP WAITING STAFF IN RESTAURANTS, TAXI DRIVERS AND VARIOUS OTHER PEOPLE WHO PROVIDE US WITH A SERVICE WHICH WE CONSIDER TO BE GOOD.

Yes I am shouting this out to all of you that continually accuse us of being tight or as you say stiffing the wait staff.

As I have said in previous posts on here gratuities are NOT compulsory and yes I have agreed to pay them - but I just might be the first person at the Pursers Desk taking them off at the start of my cruise and handing out money at my disgression to those who I feel have earnt it and guess what not one of you can stop me and you will never ever know if that is what I have chosen to do.

Maybe its time RCI paid more to their ship staff and less to their stockholders!

Plenty of arguement and opinions on this subject and quite a few guesses along with one or two bigoted views on certain Nationalities .... so how many really know the Truth? what does a Cabin Steward earn ? and how many hours does He/She really work ! ......no more guesses or my friend says its X amount it really is time for RCI to stand up and be counted..... only then can people make a well informed decision not based on Hearsay!

As for the head of RCI UK .... :rolleyes:

Well since they are no longer paying their shareholders any dividend you might want to actually know something before you respond next time around.

Or you can continue to provide chuckles. Your choice.:rolleyes:

There is a big legal and logical difference between a Gratuity(TIP) and a service charge. Basically a Gratuity is monies voluntarily given for a service above what would be the norm. A service charge is actually a back door to paying salaries, it is not voluntary, given for any level of service and added to the basic cost.

In most of the world including some places in the US, service charges are clearly posted and automatically added to a bill. If cruise lines created a sur charge, clearly noted on the invoice, the amount would be equal from all cruisers and the staff would benefit. Then, if a cruiser receives exceptional service from a member of the staff, they may give a gratuity in an amount of their own choosing.

To give a gratuity for less than above average service seems illogical

Not necessarily. Some markets are seasonal. For instance, where I live our season starts at Thanksgiving and goes through the end of May if we're lucky. That's when I make my money. The summertime and fall are very, very slow. I save part of my wintertime earnings to carry me thru the lean months. But, some servers aren't able to do this if they have car payments, kids, etc.

I now live in a seasonal market. Even here - most of the staff is seasonal so it is more business for the staff who works year round.

The biggest gripe from families is that it's not extra work to clean a cabin, my child doesn't eat much etc. I darn sure wouldn't want to be cleaning up your child's dirty diapers, or the mess made in the dining room from a child's spilled food.

JMO.

When we first started cruising in the 80's with our two boys, we always tipped the full recommended amount plus some because my boys caused the room steward a lot more work than just the two of us would have. Back then, the steward would come in the cabin every time we left, several times a day, to tidy up, refill the ice bucket, replace towels. He (they were all male then) deserved every penny he got because, while I tried to pick up after my sons, there were times when they would come and go and I wouldn't be around to do it. Even when the cabin service was cut to twice a day, we still tipped for them because he had extra beds to make up (how would you like making up/turning down two bunk beds daily), extra towels, and, knowing my boys, extra bathroom cleaning.

Holland American used to have a "tipping is not required" policy which most people chose to read "no tipping allowed." If a crew member was caught trolling for a tip, he was fired. No way to get out of any of the management how much "tipping is not required" was. All you would get is "it is our pleasure to serve you, a tip is not necessary." If I had a buck for every newbie that asked me how much to tip, it would have covered my bar bill. Once I forgot to bring envelopes and went to the front desk to get some. You would have thought I wanted a porno magazine at the corner convenience store the way they reluctantly produced them. When we tipped out the usual crew members serving us just what the other lines recommended, not even extra, they were overwhelmed. Thanked us several times, stopped the boys in the hall and told them to thank us. Those tips were a real pleasure to give out.

As for the dining room, at that time you ate all your meals in the dining room at your assigned table at an assigned time--early or late seating. They did have a buffet for breakfast and lunch (nothing close to what they have now) which my boys availed themselves of most of the time because you could not go to the dining room in shorts and they did not want to change their clothes. Still, the chair was there waiting for them in the dining room be it for a child or an adult (who would have tipped, you hope) it was money the waiter was looking foward to in his scheme of finances. When they did eat in the dining room, the waiters always knew to line up the milk glasses, one wanted a hamburger in addition to whatever he ordered, etc. My thoughts were, also, someone was having to have the food available in the buffet whether it was my waiter or not.

My feeling is that if they did just up the fare to cover the "tips" then it wouldn't be long before they would make it known additional money would be appreciated going from "suggested" to "recommended" as time went by and we'd be right back to square one. They sorta do that now providing vouchers with envelopes so you can easily tip extra. I just add in $20 a day to the cruise price and some extra, add in whatever the insurance will be, airfare, pre-cruise hotel, etc. and that is what the cruise is going to cost me. Tipping is part of the cruise fare as far as I am concerned. If the price is right, then I am good to go.

Tucker in Texas

I really wish they would just include the tips in the price, like they do the port charges, then if people wanted to give more they could, but everyone would get the suggested amount, lots less confusion

I second that! Include the tips in the cruise price.....I vote for that. I am sure that if you are pleased with the service, that the servers, cabin steward, etc. would get a extra tip and that would make everyone happy! Patty

Why are they so cheap??????????

Royal Caribbean International vice president and UK managing director Robin Shaw disclosed that the payment of gratuities to renumerate cruise ship employees had become a “significant issue”.

Speaking at the first Cruise Forum as part of the ABTA Travel Convention in Barcelona, Shaw said the company was experiencing a “huge cultural difference” between US passengers who are used to tipping for service and those from the UK who are not. He admitted that cruise ship staff received far less tips when British passengers are on board.

Full story http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1138836.php

Great idea !!

jj.....

The issue of right or wrong can't really be debated can it? Fact of the matter is it is wrong in the UK, in fact illegal according you your post, and it right/legal in the US. We are different, period.

The real question is should one respect the customs of the county they are visiting?

Archived