Breaking News !! RCCL to review Gratuities

It is really less than that. The $10 includes your cabin attendent.
Yes, roughly $4pp/day for cabin servicing and $6pp/day for dining service - essentially $2pp per cleaning service [morning & evening] and $2pp per meal. I just mentally add these service fees along with taxes & fees to the advertised price to see what the price really is, with "incidentals" on top of that. But of course I know to make that calculation in advance, and it is easy to believe that newbies are blindsided. It would be infinitely simplier if service was included in the price [it is on some luxury lines], but as someone pointed out on another thread, cruise lines would have to charge significantly more than the $10pp/day if they intend to keep their profit margin at the same level [and of course there is some intentional misleading to make you think that you are getting more for your money than you really are (true with most advertising, not just cruise lines)]. As I have said, I'll be very surprised if RCI doesn't soon join the rest of the cruise lines in automatically charging tips; at least that way people who do stiff the help will have to at least look someone in the eye.

BTW the best service I've had on a cruise was on Azamara, and they do automatically charge service; tips above that amount are not expected but can be done to reward truly exceptional service.

Thom

That's interesting Thom, the worst service I have ever had was on the Azamara Quest. Our "butler" was useless with a memory like a sieve.

My tipping policy is that I evaluate the service that I have received and tip accordingly. I am not interested in staff's personal circumstances or company recommendations. I make my own choices.

Incidentally, some of you more experienced cruisers must have experienced final morning service. Not always, but on many occasions, waiters, stateroom attendants etc are miserable, surly and unhelpful. There is no reason to present their smily faces to you, you have already tipped and they are looking to their next bankroll.

So when I cruise, I don't wear rose tinted specs, I just enjoy the experience, tip as I feel fit and don't leave my brain at the airport. And by the way, I do, sometimes tip more the recommended level, but I do this because I want to, not because I feel I need to.

That's interesting Thom, the worst service I have ever had was on the Azamara Quest. Our "butler" was useless with a memory like a sieve.

My tipping policy is that I evaluate the service that I have received and tip accordingly. I am not interested in staff's personal circumstances or company recommendations. I make my own choices.

Incidentally, some of you more experienced cruisers must have experienced final morning service. Not always, but on many occasions, waiters, stateroom attendants etc are miserable, surly and unhelpful. There is no reason to present their smily faces to you, you have already tipped and they are looking to their next bankroll.

So when I cruise, I don't wear rose tinted specs, I just enjoy the experience, tip as I feel fit and don't leave my brain at the airport. And by the way, I do, sometimes tip more the recommended level, but I do this because I want to, not because I feel I need to.

Odd, we've never had an issue with staff on the last morning except when they forcibly remove us from the cabin. :D

We used MTD and had to prepay our gratuities, they gave us some bouchers and we added cash on the envelopes that we gave to our suite attendant, waiter and ass. waiter. The head waiter didn't get any extra cash.

On a lighter note and a bit off topic; I know we do not generally comment on spelling and grammer on cruise critic, but, I sure wish you would have called him an asst. waiter rather than an ass. waiter. :D Sorry I just couldn't resist.

[quote name='teralin']...My tipping policy is that I evaluate the service that I have received and tip accordingly. I am not interested in staff's personal circumstances or company recommendations. I make my own choices...[/quote]I would agree that it is not my problem whether the server has 1 child or 10. But I think that it is appropriate to understand the culture that you are operating in - in much of Europe and Western Pacific Rim servers are paid a living wage and are not dependent on tips, in parts of the world the ONLY money servers make is from tips - I think it is unreasonable if not arrogant if someone approachs these two circumstances as if they were equal.

Thom

If RCCL decides to include the tips with the cruise price on ships sailing [B]only from UK[/B]...then I will be done with cruising with RCCL...completely done..over finished...never again will I cruise with RCCL. :mad:

I am sick to death of the different rules that we UK Cruisers have to put up with here with regard to when we cruise with RCCL.

[quote name='Elizanessie']If RCCL decides to include the tips with the cruise price on ships sailing [B]only from UK[/B]...then I will be done with cruising with RCCL...completely done..over finished...never again will I cruise with RCCL. :mad:

I am sick to death of the different rules that we UK Cruisers have to put up with here with regard to when we cruise with RCCL.[/quote]

Me too.

[quote name='teralin']That's interesting Thom, the worst service I have ever had was on the Azamara Quest. Our "butler" was useless with a memory like a sieve.

So when I cruise, I don't wear rose tinted specs, I just enjoy the experience, tip as I feel fit and don't leave my brain at the airport. And by the way, I do, sometimes tip more the recommended level, but I do this because I want to, not because I feel I need to.[/QUOTE] Well said, tips should be unconditionally earnt they are not a right. Kimberley

[quote name='teralin']

.[/quote]

On our very first cruise in the early 80's, our room steward was banging on the door at 6:00 a.m. to wake us the final day. So for several cruises after that, I would specifically tell the room steward the night before that I would be leaving his tip on the vanity in the morning and add I knew I had to vacate the cabin by 8:00 a.m. or whatever and I would be vacating it at that time and I did not need to be awaken two hours prior to that time. He (they were all males then) got the point that the tip would decrease if I was awaken at some ungodly hour without having to say anything further.

After a few cruises, I would give them the tip the night before and just tell them that I would be out of the cabin by x hour and to please not disturb me prior to that. That worked.

Then the last cruise came along. By now, I had long forgotten that early cruise and to give my "tip" talk. We left the auto-tips in place, we tipped the room steward every day $2 along with a "thank you" for something nice he had done if only to keep the cabin neat and clean, and left a piece of snack size candy with the note. I had $10 in an envelope to leave on the vanity after we left the cabin along with a note. I had mentioned on my exit survey how good he was--not be best, to be sure, but I've had worse and they get brownie points if you name names.

Royal Caribbean did not have a specific time for us to leave but we planned to be out at the latest by 8:00 a.m. taking our luggage with us and eating breakfast. At 6:30 a.m. we got up. Husband went down to the Promenade to get some coffee while I dressed and put the last minute things in the suitcase. At 6:45 a.m. the room steward knocked on the door and before I had a chance to acknowledge his knock, he was through the door. I had not dead-bolted the door after husband left. Fortunately, I was dressed (lol). He said he thought we had vacated the cabin as he saw my husband leaving. Yes, he left, but with no luggage. Keep in mind we never left the cabin in the morning for breakfast or at night for dinner without putting out the "make up the cabin" thingee on the entire two week cruise. $10 went back in my pocket and I will warm up my "tip" talk again for the next cruise (lol).

Another time on Carnival we went to the dining room for breakfast (grill was closed), and was ignored by our waiter. He reluctantly took our order when one of the women who spoke fluent Spanish, his native language, blocked his way when he passed by our table for the umpteenth time. However, we never got our breakfast as they called our color to get off the ship and we had to make a flight.

So, I agree, once the final morning comes, you are toast!

Tucker in Texas

[quote name='Elizanessie']If RCCL decides to include the tips with the cruise price on ships sailing [B]only from UK[/B]...then I will be done with cruising with RCCL...completely done..over finished...never again will I cruise with RCCL. :mad:

I am sick to death of the different rules that we UK Cruisers have to put up with here with regard to when we cruise with RCCL.[/quote]

While I don't think I'd go as far as finishing my cruising relationship with RCI - I agree that we are truly stiffed by them here in the UK.

All those great deals we see on US websites and then when you look at UK TA's the price difference is ridiculous - and of course we can't book with a US TA! Richard Fain stated that soon the RoW will overtake the US as their biggest market - not if we don't get parity in prices it won't. Also the short cruises - don't get me started!! $130 for a 3 day Bahamas break and then $700 for a 3 day break to France or Ireland - which is a round trip of oh.... 70 miles!!!

Rant over.... I need a brewski:D

[quote name='kimberley']I am a Brit and get fed up hearing that we dont tip yes we do tip. What annoys me so much is the fact that as a Brit I am discrimimated against. We get charged higher prices for our cruise. We can not receive residency discounts, cannnot receive law inforcement discount or military discount. Our deposits are NON REFUNDABLE why because Rccl say we are a different culture and market. So guys give us a break. You would all moan if Rccl took away ALL your discounts and then charged you $50 for your price reduction! Kimberley[/QUOTE]

Kimberly, that sucks, I simply would not cruise with RCCL if that was the case..

[quote name='kimberley']I am a Brit and get fed up hearing that we dont tip yes we do tip. What annoys me so much is the fact that as a Brit I am discrimimated against. We get charged higher prices for our cruise. We can not receive residency discounts, cannnot receive law inforcement discount or [B]military discount[/B]. Our deposits are NON REFUNDABLE why because Rccl say we are a different culture and market. So guys give us a break. You would all moan if Rccl took away ALL your discounts and then charged you $50 for your price reduction! Kimberley[/quote]
Just to correct you - the UK do offer military discounts now. And your first change to the cruise booking is free!

[quote name='dbowe5']While I don't think I'd go as far as finishing my cruising relationship with RCI - I agree that we are truly stiffed by them here in the UK.

All those great deals we see on US websites and then when you look at UK TA's the price difference is ridiculous - and of course we can't book with a US TA! Richard Fain stated that soon the RoW will overtake the US as their biggest market - not if we don't get parity in prices it won't. Also the short cruises - don't get me started!! [COLOR="Red"]$130 for a 3 day Bahamas break and then $700 for a 3 day break to France or Ireland - which is a round trip of oh.... 70 miles!!![/COLOR]
Rant over.... I need a brewski:D[/QUOTE]I don't disagree about UK cruisers being treated unfairly. It sounds like some of it is caused by governement regulations but I'm not positive on that.

I was actually going to make a comment about the costs of the cruises. I know last year when we were in Italy, the price of gas (converted) was around $8/gallon. In the US, it was around $2.50/gallon. Med cruises usually run more than Caribbean cruises. The other thing is the ship making the short trips is Independence so you're paying for all the new bells and whistles, whether you use them or not. The ships in the US that make the Bahamas runs are Monarch and Majesty, which are the two oldest of the RC fleet. They also have the smallest cabins so RC is packing in the passengers.

If there was enough interest, maybe RC could move Monarch to Southampton to make 3/4 night cruises more affordable for you and move a Radiance class ship to Port Canaveral for the Bahamas cruises. ;)

[quote name='kyriecat']I don't disagree about UK cruisers being treated unfairly. It sounds like some of it is caused by governement regulations but I'm not positive on that.

I was actually going to make a comment about the costs of the cruises. I know last year when we were in Italy, the price of gas (converted) was around $8/gallon. In the US, it was around $2.50/gallon. Med cruises usually run more than Caribbean cruises. The other thing is the ship making the short trips is Independence so you're paying for all the new bells and whistles, whether you use them or not. The ships in the US that make the Bahamas runs are Monarch and Majesty, which are the two oldest of the RC fleet. They also have the smallest cabins so RC is packing in the passengers.

If there was enough interest, maybe RC could move Monarch to Southampton to make 3/4 night cruises more affordable for you and move a Radiance class ship to Port Canaveral for the Bahamas cruises. ;)[/quote]

With the Paris trip - I did a 4 night break in Paris in a 4 Star hotel including all flights (I live on an island so always have to fly to UK and then onto wherever) - for less than RCI wanted from me for the Paris mini-cruise - and (obviously) you weren't docked in Paris so had to take trains into the centre - we had a room less than a mile from the Eiffel Tower with a view of it - so I know which one I'd have, as the ship would only be in lieu of a hotel.

Our cruises always end up expensive as we tag on extra days in Florida - no point dragging ourselves on a 9 hour flight just to get on the ship and then go straight home!:D

A thought, I might just go next year and do a carrib cruise then hop on a mini bahamas cruise.

[quote name='kyriecat']

If there was enough interest, maybe RC could move Monarch to Southampton to make 3/4 night cruises more affordable for you and move a Radiance class ship to Port Canaveral for the Bahamas cruises. ;)[/quote]

That would get my vote!

The reason for most of the different rules for the UK and the USA have to do with the laws in the different countries not because RCI is arbitrarily making up the rules.

Now in this case the rules would be changed because your fellow countrymen are cheap and RCI can not keep good help on ships sailing from merry ole England.

So, quitting RCI over this is again.... :rolleyes:

jc<---- don't shoot the messenger, I love people from all over the UK.:D

[quote name='dbowe5']With the Paris trip - I did a 4 night break in Paris in a 4 Star hotel including all flights (I live on an island so always have to fly to UK and then onto wherever) - for less than RCI wanted from me for the Paris mini-cruise - and (obviously) you weren't docked in Paris so had to take trains into the centre - we had a room less than a mile from the Eiffel Tower with a view of it - so I know which one I'd have, as the ship would only be in lieu of a hotel.
[COLOR="Red"]
Our cruises always end up expensive as we tag on extra days in Florida - no point dragging ourselves on a 9 hour flight just to get on the ship and then go straight home!:D[/COLOR]

A thought, I might just go next year and do a carrib cruise then hop on a mini bahamas cruise.[/QUOTE]
You do the same thing I do, only in the reverse direction. I figure there's no point in dragging myself on a 9+ hour flight to Europe and just getting on the ship. The first time we booked a 12-nt cruise and spent 3 days before in Barcelona. The next time we booked a 13-nt cruise and spent 4 days after in Rome. Actually, my last cruise was from Fort Lauderdale so we figured we weren't going to fly 3 hours across the country just to get on a ship for 14-nights so we spent a night before and 2 nights after in Fort Lauderdale. ;) I never considered getting off a ship to get on another one. I'll have to keep that in mind. :D

[quote name='xpcdoojk']

Now in this case the rules would be changed [COLOR=red][B]because your fellow countrymen are cheap and RCI can not keep good help on ships sailing from merry ole England. [/B][/COLOR]

So, quitting RCI over this is again.... :rolleyes:

jc<---- don't shoot the messenger, I love people from all over the UK.:D[/quote]

A bit harsh - we are paying way over the odds for our cruises compared to you guys in the US- I don't have an issue with tips - but if I was trailling 3 kids with me and the bill came to hundreds of pounds - well, I would still pay it but it would make me think!!

But I won't shoot as your last comment was a good save!!:D

[quote name='xpcdoojk']
jc<---- don't shoot the messenger, I love people from all over the UK.:D[/quote]

[URL="http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/original/Please%2Bdon%27t%2Bshoot%2Bthe%2Bmessenger.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/shoot_the_messenger/shoot_the_messenger_lifehacker_vs_pr_continued_84750.asp&usg=__mXERAOsFnnbuFzIyoZ2FLmtUpRg=&h=309&w=400&sz=36&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=JHoxWqjA0jBu0M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshooting%2Bthe%2Bmessenger%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG"][IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:JHoxWqjA0jBu0M:http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/original/Please%2Bdon%27t%2Bshoot%2Bthe%2Bmessenger.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Willing to comply with this request - only because you lurv us so muchly.;)

[quote name='kyriecat']You do the same thing I do, only in the reverse direction. I figure there's no point in dragging myself on a 9+ hour flight to Europe and just getting on the ship. The first time we booked a 12-nt cruise and spent 3 days before in Barcelona. The next time we booked a 13-nt cruise and spent 4 days after in Rome. Actually, my last cruise was from Fort Lauderdale so we figured we weren't going to fly 3 hours across the country just to get on a ship for 14-nights so we spent a night before and 2 nights after in Fort Lauderdale. ;) I never considered getting off a ship to get on another one. I'll have to keep that in mind. :D[/quote]

I agree that flying over the pond just to hop on a ship is unthinkable to me. For example I am flying over for my upcoming cruise a full 8 days prior to my 13 day cruise. I will spend 3 nights in Bruges, Belgium, a couple of nights in London, a couple of nights in Bath, and a night in Salisbury before joining the ship in Soton the next day.

jc

[quote name='BMT'][URL="http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/original/Please%2Bdon%27t%2Bshoot%2Bthe%2Bmessenger.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/shoot_the_messenger/shoot_the_messenger_lifehacker_vs_pr_continued_84750.asp&usg=__mXERAOsFnnbuFzIyoZ2FLmtUpRg=&h=309&w=400&sz=36&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=JHoxWqjA0jBu0M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshooting%2Bthe%2Bmessenger%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG"][IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:JHoxWqjA0jBu0M:http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/original/Please%2Bdon%27t%2Bshoot%2Bthe%2Bmessenger.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Willing to comply with this request - only because you lurv us so muchly.;)[/quote]

In your case you KNOW it is true! Otherwise you wouldn't agree to get together with me for drinks when I visit that silly named place where you live!:D

jc

[quote name='dbowe5']While I don't think I'd go as far as finishing my cruising relationship with RCI - I agree that we are truly stiffed by them here in the UK.

All those great deals we see on US websites and then when you look at UK TA's the price difference is ridiculous - and of course we can't book with a US TA! Richard Fain stated that soon the RoW will overtake the US as their biggest market - not if we don't get parity in prices it won't. Also the short cruises - don't get me started!! $130 for a 3 day Bahamas break and then $700 for a 3 day break to France or Ireland - which is a round trip of oh.... 70 miles!!!

Rant over.... I need a brewski:D[/QUOTE]

Oh yes you can.

OK, 1st off as someone who is use to tipping at most places I am just passing on my thoughts and experiences of our 1st cruise we just finished, so I appologize if I am venting. I have 15 years of customer service experience in entertainment(food service/night clubs) and IT services so I am not someone from the outside.

I felt that the pre-paid tips was not something I will ever do again, especially for MTD. MDR is probably where I will stick as the servers there you get to know and see more constantly and may see more of an impact for the other wait staff, see my experience below. My fiancee and I were aware of the standard tipping outline prior to starting the cruise and budgeted out for it with the expectation that if the service was above avg we would add in more at the end of the cruise as needed.

I was really disappointed in the service for MTD by the Maitre'D and the Head Waiter. 1st off I never saw or was impacted by our Head Waiter at all, thus in my opinion no tip cause he did his job but not anything exceptional to attract my attention, RC pays for that not me. The Maitre'D only took my reso time and never came by once to see how things were, is this worth a tip, I don't think so, again his job function so RC should handle that exclusively.

Our wait staff once at the table, was superb, always helpful and even ran out to get my coffee from Latitudes when I wanted one. Now, how do you tip these people out for there excellent service? Since MTD is equally divided over the whole trip I cannot tip out individual people without tracking them down in person and on the last day with everyone running around it was not that easy. We did get a couple of extra envelopes for these people and took ages to track them down but located them.

You know what thou, the Maitre'D looked at me sideways when I gave him the "light" envelopes for the MTD staff as I did not include a single extra cent for these envelopes and cancelled my last reso and ate with our cruise friends in Windjammer.

In recap, my thoughts are: Stick to your MDR time, if you miss the time or need a break you will still see your standard team, not a random one every night you show up. Your tips are easy to pass out as you know who served you and how there service was. If they did not do anything above their standard job function it is optional to tip but it is your choice ultimately. Prepaid tips produce standard service and don't motivate people to provide "excellent service" for that extra tip at the end of the cruise and should be your choice.

For those who tip because they think it is required, think on this: if your mechanic finds a problem you did not expect during a visit, do you tip him or not when he is doing an inspection of your car or truck? Most I think would not cause he is doing his job. Now, if you are at a stop light and your mechanic happens to pull up beside you and says your exhaust is puking out black smoke and it should be checked. I would make sure I got him something when I came in to get it fixed. Why, cause he went above his regular role and earned that "something" by telling me. OK, that would not happen often but they are both in a service industry, one just happens to cost you more than the other.

Food Industry Service staff these days expect tips when they do their "job's duties" it seems, complain when they don't cause they do not get paid like everyone else, get a different job or skilled trade then!

I agree, large tables can incur a built in percentage as the load is more for that server and s/he cannot reach all the other tables in their section adequately. Don't expect a tip from my table thou. If I have to wait 30 minutes for my coffee to be filled up, especially if I see my server with large table constantly. You focused on that large table and are getting your tip there.

Honestly thou, I spend my hard earned money on a trip when I can and spent 4 years in school and 15 years to get where I am today. I am not paying anyone extra cause RC does not pay them enough. They can get another job and not work on a cruise ship which docks in many different places in the world and get to see these places which cost me money to see.

Archived