Breaking News !! RCCL to review Gratuities

This is the full text if you have problems with the original link

spacer.gifspacer.gif

A major US cruise line is considering an overhaul of its on board tipping arrangements due to the reluctance of British passengers to pay gratuities to staff.

Royal Caribbean International vice president and UK managing director Robin Shaw disclosed that the payment of gratuities to renumerate cruise ship employees had become a “significant issue”.

Speaking at the first Cruise Forum as part of the ABTA Travel Convention in Barcelona, Shaw said the company was experiencing a “huge cultural difference” between US passengers who are used to tipping for service and those from the UK who are not.

He admitted that cruise ship staff received far less tips when British passengers are on board.

This comes at a time when the company is committing one of its largest ships, Independence of the Seas, to year-round ex-UK sailings from the end of next year and introducing the first summer season of Celebrity Cruises' departures from Southampton on new ship Celebrity Eclipse in 2010.

Addressing the issue of paying gratuities – seen by UK consumers as a negative to taking a cruise – Shaw said: “We are evaluating what our options can be in the UK. This is certainly a challenge for us and one we have to address.”

His comments came as part of a wider discussion on add-ons cruise companies charge on top of the holiday price for items such as speciality restaurant meals and other extras.

Shaw said it was almost impossible to cost everything into the up front price, but it was a “commercial reality” that on board revenue was a key component for cruise lines to recover their return on investment .

Journalist Jane Archer, cruise writer for the Daily Telegraph, had pinpointed gratuities and on board add-ons as among the “turn-offs” for cruise passengers, saying that there was a perception that people were paying for more things as lines added optional extras to new ships.

She described cruise line tipping polices as “antiquated” and something that can lead to resentment and upset amongst travellers

I for one enjoy the personal touch of handing that envelope to our server on the last night, often with a special note attached. Also, I like to think of myself as a generous tipper, but I can be very stingy if I feel like a good tip was not earned. I have tipped less than the expected amount for poor or unfriendly service, but have tipped as much as double for outstanding service.

We have also had some very helpful maitre'd's who have earned a nice tip from us for things as broad as escargots on extra nights to helping feed our infants so we can eat. Then, on the other hand, we've had those who only show up on the last night, and while I'm sure they do a great deal behind the scenes to ensure a pleasant dining experience, the lack of personal contact usually results in a tip of no more than the expected amount.

As long as each cruise line maintains the flexibility of allowing us to give more or less at our discretion, I really have no problem with automatic gratuities. I think eventually this will be fleetwide, and yet another sign of the changing times for our favorite pasttime.

I can't get the link to work, so I don't know what the article says, but here is my two cents....

I always tip, and most of the time tip more than the "suggested" amount.

However, if they are EXPECTING a tip, they should do a good job. If the cruise lines don't want people living off of tips, why don't they just pay them a fair salary? Honestly, they do their job, and they expect a tip??? I personally feel that a TIP is deserved when a crew member goes above and beyond their job to do something nice for me.

I compare this to the pizza delivery guy. I used to tip him $2 for 1 pizza when he delivered it to my house. NOW, they charge to deliver, guess what, they charge $2. So, I don't tip the pizza guy anymore, or I drive the 1.25 miles to pick up the pizza myself.

I will tip my cabin steward if he/she does something extra for me. I will tip my servers if they honor a request or go out of their way to make my evening special.

Most of the staff on RCCL has always met my expectations, and therefore they have received a tip. But they receive a tip because I CHOSE to tip, and I chose the amount. I don't like the idea of it being mandatory, or included in the price. It is no longer tipping if that is the case. I am afraid service quality will go down if it is just expected that everyone will tip.

It must depend on your maitre'd. On our last cruise the maitre d' visited our table (actually all tables) nearly every night. By the second night he new everybody's name and addressed us by name the rest of the cruise. He would spend about 5 minutes at each table and would tell very interesting stories about his experience working on cruise ships. On lobster night he came by and split the shell and removed the meat. One night he asked us if there was anything special he could arrange. I asked for grand marnier souffle and the next night everyone at our table got one - and we were the only table that had the souffle. I am sure he asked the same question of every table and each table probably got their custom order.

He enlivened the evening dining experience and certainly earned his tip.

I agree he definately deserved his tip.

Are you confusing the Matre D with your Head Waiter? You do not tip the Matre D UNLESS he would REALLY do something special for you.

When we first started cruising, I hated tipping the Head Waiter, just like another poster stated, since we never saw him until tipping night however this has seemed to change. For the last few cruises, we have seen the Head Waiter EVERY NIGHT. Not sure if we have gotten some good Head Waiters or if RCCL has gotten on them about their jobs. Anyway, the Head Waiter is worth the tip if you have issues during the cruise, they are the ones to get the problem corrected. If you don't have any issues, he is doing his job well, tip him accordingly. :)

Tim

I could be mistaken - it could have been the head waiter I was thinking of. It's been over a year since my last cruise (far too long). You have a good point - if his job is to ensure things go well and they do then he has done his job so yes he deserves a tip. I think part of the problem is I/we don't understand what they do. Waiters - we all know what they do - head waiters, not so much. It seems to me that the head waiters are similar assistant managers on land. AM's are paid salary, but HW are not. This probably adds to the confusion. (just speculation)

I for one enjoy the personal touch of handing that envelope to our server on the last night, often with a special note attached. Also, I like to think of myself as a generous tipper, but I can be very stingy if I feel like a good tip was not earned. I have tipped less than the expected amount for poor or unfriendly service, but have tipped as much as double for outstanding service.

We have also had some very helpful maitre'd's who have earned a nice tip from us for things as broad as escargots on extra nights to helping feed our infants so we can eat. Then, on the other hand, we've had those who only show up on the last night, and while I'm sure they do a great deal behind the scenes to ensure a pleasant dining experience, the lack of personal contact usually results in a tip of no more than the expected amount.

As long as each cruise line maintains the flexibility of allowing us to give more or less at our discretion, I really have no problem with automatic gratuities. I think eventually this will be fleetwide, and yet another sign of the changing times for our favorite pasttime.

dfa - I agree with you. Again, I'm a tipper and I love the personal touch that goes along with a tip. For those that have done an outstanding job I always make it a point to say so and point it out that the tip reflects that. (meaning I gave more than the "suggested")

I can't get the link to work, so I don't know what the article says, but here is my two cents....

I always tip, and most of the time tip more than the "suggested" amount.

However, if they are EXPECTING a tip, they should do a good job. If the cruise lines don't want people living off of tips, why don't they just pay them a fair salary? Honestly, they do their job, and they expect a tip??? I personally feel that a TIP is deserved when a crew member goes above and beyond their job to do something nice for me.

I compare this to the pizza delivery guy. I used to tip him $2 for 1 pizza when he delivered it to my house. NOW, they charge to deliver, guess what, they charge $2. So, I don't tip the pizza guy anymore, or I drive the 1.25 miles to pick up the pizza myself. The delivery charge is to cover the gas - the tip is for the service. At least that is what I've been told.

I will tip my cabin steward if he/she does something extra for me. I will tip my servers if they honor a request or go out of their way to make my evening special.

Most of the staff on RCCL has always met my expectations, and therefore they have received a tip. But they receive a tip because I CHOSE to tip, and I chose the amount. I don't like the idea of it being mandatory, or included in the price. It is no longer tipping if that is the case. I am afraid service quality will go down if it is just expected that everyone will tip.

I am afraid of this too. I just asked my dd about this and it was her opinion as a server is that it would hurt the quality of service because tipping is a huge incentive to work harder. She actually earns almost double of what her friends do who work at non-serving jobs. That makes me wonder if RCI were to change the policy and implement it fleet-wide then would servers/cabin stewards actually make less than they would have where US pax are the majority?

I have to agree with the addition of a service charge to cover tips for EX UK sailings. We travel a lot and always tip, but I think the problem is that the Brits on here (me included) are in a minority of the cruisers. Most are not as well informed and this is where the problem lies, as in order to sell the cruises many TA’s are not telling them about the tips.

RCL are trying to appeal to a new market, many of whom have not cruised in the past, so have no experience and do not know about the 'culture and practices', of a US cruise line.

It is easy to say it is stated in the documents and it is clear, but for a first time cruiser this is not necessarily the case. With many of the travel agents over here competing to try and get the price down I have found when getting quotes and shopping around the only place that quoted me with prepaid grats was RCL. Without fail, all other quoted without tips. If I asked for them to be included I was discouraged, and in one case told that they did not do that.

If first time cruisers are being sold to in this way, and the aspect is very played down by the TA's then it is likely to come as a big shock when they have to pay more than a minimal amount for a tip. From what I have read and heard on board, it looks like the main problem is with Indy and the 14 night cruises. If not aware of the different tipping culture the expectation to pay $550 or so for a family of 4 on something that they believe, psychologically they have paid for, can be a big shock. So this has to be partly at least a problem caused by the way the TAs are trying to compete.

I travelled on Indy in August, and I have to say, this was not a typical RCL cruise, the prices had fallen and many first time cruisers were on board, but the service levels were poor in many areas, and if the staff are not getting paid I can understand how they feel. We gave up eating in the MDR and ate in Chops most nights, we got excellent service there, but we also tipped extra each night as well.

If this is a cost of cruising and the issue has not been resolved the best way of sorting this out is to take the same approach as some other cruise lines and have a mandatory service charge each day and include it in the cost of the cruise, so it is not a shock. Until I had sailed on Indy I was resistant to this. I like to tip as I see fit, (never under, often over), but this is just not working and it is very evident with the service on the ship. I never did see the room attendant and we never got any ice! (and we had prepaid!). We decided that until this is resolved and the service levels are able to recover we are unlikely to sail Indy, which is a same as she is a lovely ship and will stick to those where there is a more international or US culture evident on board.

I have to agree with the addition of a service charge to cover tips for EX UK sailings. We travel a lot and always tip, but I think the problem is that the Brits on here (me included) are in a minority of the cruisers. Most are not as well informed and this is where the problem lies, as in order to sell the cruises many TA’s are not telling them about the tips.

RCL are trying to appeal to a new market, many of whom have not cruised in the past, so have no experience and do not know about the 'culture and practices', of a US cruise line.

It is easy to say it is stated in the documents and it is clear, but for a first time cruiser this is not necessarily the case. With many of the travel agents over here competing to try and get the price down I have found when getting quotes and shopping around the only place that quoted me with prepaid grats was RCL. Without fail, all other quoted without tips. If I asked for them to be included I was discouraged, and in one case told that they did not do that.

If first time cruisers are being sold to in this way, and the aspect is very played down by the TA's then it is likely to come as a big shock when they have to pay more than a minimal amount for a tip. From what I have read and heard on board, it looks like the main problem is with Indy and the 14 night cruises. If not aware of the different tipping culture the expectation to pay $550 or so for a family of 4 on something that they believe, psychologically they have paid for, can be a big shock. So this has to be partly at least a problem caused by the way the TAs are trying to compete.

I travelled on Indy in August, and I have to say, this was not a typical RCL cruise, the prices had fallen and many first time cruisers were on board, but the service levels were poor in many areas, and if the staff are not getting paid I can understand how they feel. We gave up eating in the MDR and ate in Chops most nights, we got excellent service there, but we also tipped extra each night as well.

If this is a cost of cruising and the issue has not been resolved the best way of sorting this out is to take the same approach as some other cruise lines and have a mandatory service charge each day and include it in the cost of the cruise, so it is not a shock. Until I had sailed on Indy I was resistant to this. I like to tip as I see fit, (never under, often over), but this is just not working and it is very evident with the service on the ship. I never did see the room attendant and we never got any ice! (and we had prepaid!). We decided that until this is resolved and the service levels are able to recover we are unlikely to sail Indy, which is a same as she is a lovely ship and will stick to those where there is a more international or US culture evident on board.

Hi

Sorry to hear about the staffing issues you had on the Indy. Like you say, it may well be down to tips.

We were on the Indy in March on a back to back carribean cruise and the staff were out of this world - much better than the LOS the previous year. Charri in the pub, Marvin in the Schooner bar & Terrence our stateroom attendent were fantastic and well worth the extra tips we gave them - in fact, I didn't meet one indifferent member of staff in any bar or restaurant - and the only one we didn't go in was chops.

Like most people on this thread, I always pre-pay so it is an integral part of the cost of the cruise

Hi

Sorry to hear about the staffing issues you had on the Indy. Like you say, it may well be down to tips.

We were on the Indy in March on a back to back carribean cruise and the staff were out of this world - much better than the LOS the previous year. Charri in the pub, Marvin in the Schooner bar & Terrence our stateroom attendent were fantastic and well worth the extra tips we gave them - in fact, I didn't meet one indifferent member of staff in any bar or restaurant - and the only one we didn't go in was chops.

Like most people on this thread, I always pre-pay so it is an integral part of the cost of the cruise

It was unusual, just did not feel very RCL. We still enjoyed the cruise, but it was notably different from the ex US RCL crusies we have done.

It's amazing how this topic reveals so much about individuals' character...

I think most of us want to see the crew fairly compensated for their work, and the majority do their best because it is their nature to do so, not because of a hoped-for tip that is dangled like a carrot on the end of a stick. If the cruise line pays only a stipend and uses tips for their pay, then I will tip and be happy to do so. If instead they decide to pay a salary that is equivalent, then I'll tip only in those circumstances where extra effort was requested and delivered.

As long as the crew is treated fairly, I don't care how the money gets from my wallet to their own.

It was unusual, just did not feel very RCL. We still enjoyed the cruise, but it was notably different from the ex US RCL crusies we have done.

Do you think that was because it was a med cruise??

That's the rub for me - I've been on 5 cruises now and I'm on Oasis in January and they've all been in the Carribean.

For some reason, a med or european cruise doesn't appeal - maybe it's because easyjet or ryanair fly to these places for less than it costs me to fly from the Isle of Man to the UK, or just that I'm not a big history buff (in the carribean you go to beaches, in the med it's to see some ruins :)) - I don't really know - but saying that, I might try and incorporate a few nights in Barcelona next year with a short cruise on AOS.

It's amazing how this topic reveals so much about individuals' character...

I think most of us want to see the crew fairly compensated for their work, and the majority do their best because it is their nature to do so, not because of a hoped-for tip that is dangled like a carrot on the end of a stick. If the cruise line pays only a stipend and uses tips for their pay, then I will tip and be happy to do so. If instead they decide to pay a salary that is equivalent, then I'll tip only in those circumstances where extra effort was requested and delivered.

As long as the crew is treated fairly, I don't care how the money gets from my wallet to their own.

Well put.

As I said further up this thread, far more important things to worry about. As long as the people who look after me get what they deserve it doesn't matter a jot how it gets there.

I prefer the convenience of an up front "service charge". Above and beyond service will cause me to bust out my wallet in recognition. To stiff these guys is unconcienable. They work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day to assure you have a great vacation. Waiters and busboys are working almost solely for tips ($50 month or so wage). There is no minimum wage on a cruise ship as they are flagged in other countries (for this very reason) (NCL Pride is the only exception I can think of).

Do you think that was because it was a med cruise??

That's the rub for me - I've been on 5 cruises now and I'm on Oasis in January and they've all been in the Carribean.

For some reason, a med or european cruise doesn't appeal - maybe it's because easyjet or ryanair fly to these places for less than it costs me to fly from the Isle of Man to the UK, or just that I'm not a big history buff (in the carribean you go to beaches, in the med it's to see some ruins :)) - I don't really know - but saying that, I might try and incorporate a few nights in Barcelona next year with a short cruise on AOS.

Hmmm, it was actually the short Cork cruise, the med does not appeal to me either, I like ruins, but already seen them. I know what you mean about the air fares!

We are going on Jewel next year out of Harwich, doing the baltic states. Talking to the RCL agent we usually use, he said that Indy seems to have the problems, and that the Jewel itinarary was far more international. This appears to be true by the roll call as well. So maybe it is not just that it is ex UK, maybe it is the way that it is marketed etc as well.

I think I would be prepared to try the other ships that will be in Europe, but it did put me off of going on Indy, especially for a longer cruise. My fav ship remains Mariner :) There are some nice ones for the greek islands, lots of beaches there!

If tipping becomes mandatory then it is no longer a tip but a fee. I tried MTD and the service was awful, I believe because the tipping was prepaid. If tipping becomes mandatory I will never pay a cent more then what I paid in the mandatory fee because it's not really a tip anymore. It could backfire :eek:

I see a mandatory service charge in the future....similar to NCL....
Actually RCI is the ONLY mainsteam cruise line operating in the US that does not automatically posting tips [really it is a service charge' date= since they pay waiters and stewards $50 per month] to your account. The large number of alternative dining venues makes the previously standard system confusing and unfair. Celebrity went to automatically billing service shortly after Solstice [with five or six dining options] went into service. I predict that RCI will start automatically billing for service when Oasis enters service in a few months. You will of course still be allowed to tip directly for exceptional service.

Thom

If tipping becomes mandatory then it is no longer a tip but a fee. I tried MTD and the service was awful, I believe because the tipping was prepaid. If tipping becomes mandatory I will never pay a cent more then what I paid in the mandatory fee because it's not really a tip anymore. It could backfire :eek:

I disagree. MTD has been fabulous every time I have used it (4 cruises so far).

I also totally disagree with this stick-and-carrot mentality of if you work em hard and they come up to scratch then you will pay the tip. It reeks of colonialism and harks back to the class system to me.

It is very difficult trying to explain to a family why they are expected to pay £117+pp for a 14n cruise on Indie next year - for a family of 5 that adds £585/$877+ to a cruise fare.

Add to this TAs who do not tell guests about the tipping requirements, and the new demographic of new British cruisers who usually spent 2 weeks in Benidorm, who are also totally unused to tipping - it adds up to a large percentage who do not/will not pay.

Tell them it is not mandatory and a huge % will walk off that ship without paying a penny.

It is no wonder that they alledgedly have staffing and morale issues on Indie when she is in Southampton.

I really wish they would include the tips in the base price of the cruise. So they cannot be removed. Full stop.

Its my guess that mandatory will work in the crews favor or they would not be doing this.There have been lots of threads lately were folks have been looking for support in their efforts to stiff the dining staff.I will for one CONTINUE to tip extra for excellent service

:cj

Actually RCI is the ONLY mainsteam cruise line operating in the US that does not automatically posting tips [really it is a service charge, since they pay waiters and stewards $50 per month] to your account. The large number of alternative dining venues makes the previously standard system confusing and unfair. Celebrity went to automatically billing service shortly after Solstice [with five or six dining options] went into service. I predict that RCI will start automatically billing for service when Oasis enters service in a few months. You will of course still be allowed to tip directly for exceptional service.

Thom

Thom, I believe you are correct. RCI is the only cruise line I have sailed where tipping was "suggested" or an option at all. In the past few years we have just been prepaying the tips, especially when we are paying for several cabins and six or more people. It just became too much cash to worry about. We still get the envelopes and can just put extra in if we want for our servers.

When we had the use of the concierge service as Diamond Members we just gave the Concierge and CL bartenders cash tips. Since the changes we have only sailed on Freedom Class and we also gave the Diamond Concierge and Diamond Lounge bartenders cash tips.

I personally find prepaying the tips to be easier for us and then If we want to tip more or to other workers on board I just use cash.

Colleen

I just have to get his off my chest - The one person I usually hate tipping is the Matre D. In almost all of my cruises no matter what line it is - we don't see the Matre D at all - never comes to the table - except for the very last night when - yes when we are handing out tips. Perhaps I don't understand what that job entails. We still tip him, but not sure what it is for. He should be on salary instead. My 2 cents.

Maybe I got a good one, but the Matre 'D on the Voyager this past Jan was very visable, asking if the service was good, and asking if we needed anything. He was always there to bid us a good evening when we left. He was responsible for training our waiters and they did a fantastic job, so from that point of view, he deserved a little tip.

I am intrigued by this thread. Living in the States, I always assumed that tipping is normal. 15% to waiters, $1 per bag to porters, etc... After talking to my 'world traveller' co-worker, I found that in Europe, tipping is not as accepted. In fact, he was telling me that in Germany, he was served by the best waiter he had ever had and tried to tip him 20%...the waiter would not take it! Go figure!

For me, I want to be able to tip without feeling guilty about not tipping enough, but I live in a culture where 15% is just the bare minimum and I have heard of some waiters feeling miffed for not getting more (could be the waiter OR the customer...but thats not the point). If I felt that the recipient of my tips were generally happy that they got any tip at all, then I would be inclined to tip more. With auto tipping, I can't tell if they appreciate it or not (although it would be less stress knowing that I did not undertip...unless for some reason tips were expected ON TOP of the auto tipping).

Its my guess that mandatory will work in the crews favor or they would not be doing this.There have been lots of threads lately were folks have been looking for support in their efforts to stiff the dining staff.I will for one CONTINUE to tip extra for excellent service

I agree Captain Jake, especially with some of the really low cruise prices out there this off season. When you start seeing 7 night cruises for $349 some people might think that the suggested tips, which would then equal @ 20% of their cruise fare might be too high and leave less.

We actually had a young woman who was our cabin steward on the Freedom in the summer of 2008 confide in us that many people were leaving less and even stiffing the staff because the economy was so bad. And this was BEFORE the stock market crashed last year. So I can imagine what it must be like in todays economy.

Colleen

[quote=Captain Jake;21570573There have been lots of threads lately were folks have been looking for support in their efforts to stiff the dining staff.I will for one CONTINUE to tip extra for excellent service

I've read them too and it's so hard not to sit on your hands and tell these people what you really think of them. I'm with you on this one; I will also continue to tip extra for excellent service!

Maybe I got a good one, but the Matre 'D on the Voyager this past Jan was very visable, asking if the service was good, and asking if we needed anything. He was always there to bid us a good evening when we left. He was responsible for training our waiters and they did a fantastic job, so from that point of view, he deserved a little tip.

I am intrigued by this thread. Living in the States, I always assumed that tipping is normal. 15% to waiters, $1 per bag to porters, etc... After talking to my 'world traveller' co-worker, I found that in Europe, tipping is not as accepted. In fact, he was telling me that in Germany, he was served by the best waiter he had ever had and tried to tip him 20%...the waiter would not take it! Go figure!

For me, I want to be able to tip without feeling guilty about not tipping enough, but I live in a culture where 15% is just the bare minimum and I have heard of some waiters feeling miffed for not getting more (could be the waiter OR the customer...but thats not the point). If I felt that the recipient of my tips were generally happy that they got any tip at all, then I would be inclined to tip more. With auto tipping, I can't tell if they appreciate it or not (although it would be less stress knowing that I did not undertip...unless for some reason tips were expected ON TOP of the auto tipping).

It isn't our culture that dictates tipping it is the corporation. Most restraunts pay their wait staff approx $2/hour which is supposed to cover payroll/income taxes on their tips. I would venture to guess that European wait staff are paid more than that and it is enough to live on which is why they don't need tips.

Our last Celebrity (Med/Europe) cruise our tips were automatically included on our seapass account. However, we were also able to "opt out" of the auto gratuity and hand out tips the old fashioned way. It was an all or nothing. I seem to remember that we paid the auto and supplemented those that went above and beyond. We had great service the entire trip.

I've also read, not experienced first hand, that many Europeans can be very demanding for exceptional service and will start deducting from the hotel bill or other statements where service is involved for any perceived shortcomings or problems. I don't know many Americans who would do that.

Archived