Puerto Vallarta questions

doodlesinkentucky

Yep, taken a cab a few times to downtown PV. When you get off the ship do not take the cabs that are right in the dock area. Walk out to the main street and catch a cab there. They are cheaper. I would suggest you ask the cab driver the price PER PERSON before you enter. It should be a total for the cab of no more than $6-$10 to get into town. They will drop you in the area called the Malecon. This runs along the beach there in town. You will see many bronze statues, possibly Paplanta Flyers ( kinds of fun - Men on a pole flying around - sorry cant really describe but fun to look at), there are many shops, restaurants, bars across the street from the Malecon and several blocks in. Also, several blocks in is a cathedral you may want to look at. If you ask someone they can direct you.

What cruise line are you on? Alot of the cruises have a city tour for appx $30. It is a good overview of PV as you get to see the area discussed above as well as go outside of PV for a bus ride. Very lovely. Typically these tours are 2-4 hours. Some will drop you back into the main part of PV (again described above) and you can take a taxi back to the ship.

Just be sure to always make sure you agree on a total price with a taxi driver before getting in the taxi!.

Have fun in PV

we did the dolphin swim and then a sunset horseback in the rainforest. They were both VERY cool. the horseback through the rain forest was amazing and very affordable. There was also a tequila factory where the stables are located so we were able to have some drinks after the horseback ride. Very fun port of call.

Cloedmom gives great advice but I just want to correct one thing; yellow city cabs charge PER taxi not per person, so if you ask for a per person price, they may take advantage of the fact you are not aware that the city taxi prices are for the taxi ride and for up to four passengers.

There is also a bus stop at the corner where you exit from the dock. City buses are 5.5 Pesos per person. The buses that say Centro on them, go downtown and a great way to experience Vallarta.

Has anyone taken a cab to downtown PV? What can we expect there? How far is the downtown area from the cruise terminals?:confused:

Also, if anyone has any reasonably priced suggestions on what to do in PV, would be appreciated. Thanks!

doodlesinkentucky...Take it from an Ashland girl :D.. Forget the cab. Take the Blue Walmart Bus into town and back only a couple of paesos. Walk out to the main street and stand by the bus stop and watch for the Blue Bus with the Walmart sign in the front window. Hop off when you get into downtown across from the beach. Then go a block (oneway streets), over to get it when your ready to go back. Watch for it, it comes by pretty often, just wave your arms it will stop for ya. It is one of the most exciting bus rides you'll ever have ...Get in sit down and hold on:eek:......You can take the girl out of KENTUCKY but you can't take the KENTUCKY out of the girl ;)

Perhaps a little correction for Ashland's post. To go downtown, catch any bus marked "Centro." To return to the dock area, catch any bus marked "Walmart" or "Sams Club." There are both a Walmart and Sams Club almost directly across the main highway from the cruise dock. The distance to the downtown turnaround point (the Old Plaza) is about 3 miles.

There are buses running along the highway, in both directions, about every 30 seconds or one minute. If you don't have Mexican pesos they will happily take US dollars. Sometimes they give change in pesos, sometimes not. They would probably accept $1 for two persons each way, although the correct fare is a bit less than 50 cents each.

Perhaps a little correction for Ashland's post. To go downtown, catch any bus marked "Centro." To return to the dock area, catch any bus marked "Walmart" or "Sams Club." There are both a Walmart and Sams Club almost directly across the main highway from the cruise dock. The distance to the downtown turnaround point (the Old Plaza) is about 3 miles.

There are buses running along the highway, in both directions, about every 30 seconds or one minute. If you don't have Mexican pesos they will happily take US dollars. Sometimes they give change in pesos, sometimes not. They would probably accept $1 for two persons each way, although the correct fare is a bit less than 50 cents each.

:cool: Thanks for your correction Jeff, but we'll stick with the Blue Walmart Bus less confusion and some of the Centro Buses make too many stops. The Walmart Bus just HAULS to downtown ;)

anyone have contact info for Dreams puerto vallarta

Just got this back from them after inquiring re a day pass (contact info in the bottom):

Dear Guest,

Here is the information you requested re: DAY & NIGHT PASSES—

Subject to availability, we can offer you the following passes for access to Dreams Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta

Day Pass – 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. - $69 usd per person (Includes Breakfast, Lunch, drinks, and beach towels).

Complete Day Pass – 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. - $100 usd per person (Includes Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, drinks and beach towels).

Night Pass – 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. - $50 usd per person (includes Dinner, drinks and beach towels)

Cruise Ship Day Pass – 6 hours maximum - $45.00USD per person (includes meals, drinks and beach towels)

Children between the ages of 2 and 12 are half-price.

These prices are available from May 1st to Dec 18th.

The Marina terminal is about 25 minutes from the resort, and the taxi fare is around $150.00 pesos.

You do not need to make advance reservations; you may pay at the time of check in.

If you need more information please contact our Chief Concierge:

Tel. (322) 226 5000 ext. 5511 (from the US dial 011 – 52 + the number))

Fax (322) 221 6000; or email concierge@dreamspuertovallarta.com.mx

Thank you for your interest in Dreams. We look forward to serving you.

Thanks for all the good information!!!!;) Sounds like the bus is the way to go!! And no price issues , like a cab would be. Now I just have to decide whether to get a bunch of pesos or just give them American.

We were hoping to go the The Beach House resturant as well (address is Amapas#182-Playa los Muertos). I wonder if the bus would take us there?

Thanks again! Deb

doodlesinkentucky...Take it from an Ashland girl :D.. Forget the cab. Take the Blue Walmart Bus into town and back only a couple of paesos. Walk out to the main street and stand by the bus stop and watch for the Blue Bus with the Walmart sign in the front window. Hop off when you get into downtown across from the beach. Then go a block (oneway streets), over to get it when your ready to go back. Watch for it, it comes by pretty often, just wave your arms it will stop for ya. It is one of the most exciting bus rides you'll ever have ...Get in sit down and hold on:eek:......You can take the girl out of KENTUCKY but you can't take the KENTUCKY out of the girl ;)

Hey Ashland!!!! Love that area! Glad your heart is still in KY~! Thanks for your help!

The old town of Puerto Vallarta has a wonderful feel and is really easy going.

Last year, we purchased a cab for the 4 of us, $10 to the Malecon near the old cathedral. We walked all over, went to the flea market near the river, then walked down the river to Playa de los Muertos.

We found a restaurant and sat on the beach ordering buckets of beer, about $10 for 4 beers and 2 sodas. We watched all the parasailing and jet skis and enjoyed a relaxing day at the beach.

Puerto Vallarta is known for their "street food". If you are daring, the tacos, fresh grilled fish and incredible fresh fruit are all very good. We ate tacos and quesadillas at this one vendor and it was incredible and cheap.

This town is one you can enjoy without getting into all of the tourist excursions people feel compelled to try.

Have a great cruise.

The old town of Puerto Vallarta has a wonderful feel and is really easy going.

Last year, we purchased a cab for the 4 of us, $10 to the Malecon near the old cathedral. We walked all over, went to the flea market near the river, then walked down the river to Playa de los Muertos.

We found a restaurant and sat on the beach ordering buckets of beer, about $10 for 4 beers and 2 sodas. We watched all the parasailing and jet skis and enjoyed a relaxing day at the beach.

Puerto Vallarta is known for their "street food". If you are daring, the tacos, fresh grilled fish and incredible fresh fruit are all very good. We ate tacos and quesadillas at this one vendor and it was incredible and cheap.

This town is one you can enjoy without getting into all of the tourist excursions people feel compelled to try.

Have a great cruise.

Sounds great:)

:cool: Thanks for your correction Jeff, but we'll stick with the Blue Walmart Bus less confusion and some of the Centro Buses make too many stops. The Walmart Bus just HAULS to downtown ;)

There is no such thing as "The Walmart Bus hauls to downtown"!! Centro buses and buses from Wal Mart make the same stops to downtown and back. If you want to go to the Malecon/downtown area take a bus that says Centro in the front window. (Don't take the bus that has Tunel written on it).

The one thing to be careful is when you are returning to the ship from downtown make sure to take a bus that goes to Wal Mart/Sam's Club. The buses have names of places written on the front window.

There is no such thing as "The Walmart Bus hauls to downtown"!! Centro buses and buses from Wal Mart make the same stops to downtown and back. If you want to go to the Malecon/downtown area take a bus that says Centro in the front window. (Don't take the bus that has Tunel written on it).

The one thing to be careful is when you are returning to the ship from downtown make sure to take a bus that goes to Wal Mart/Sam's Club. The buses have names of places written on the front window.

Hola mexico8...After 4 cruises into this port our experience with the Walmart Bus was HAULS..... very few stops. Maybe we had the same driver each time.... LOL :D...Guess you weren't on any of our buses....Gracias and Adios :cool:

LOL That is what I thought too....as did Jeff....After all these years of staying in PV we three all must been missing that Walmart Hauls bus :rolleyes:

So if I may clarify. It sounds to me what Jeff is saying is that buses that go downtown will not say wal-mart/sams club. Only buses that say wal-mart/sams club are buses that are coming BACK from downtown. Buses going TO downtown only say centro. If that is wrong please correct me as I am going there next week.

One question i have. Which side of the street do i catch the centro bus to downtown. Is it port side or do i cross the street?

Thanks again everyone for the great input on these boards.

Here's the bus we took from the port to downtown.

th_P3040007.jpg

(click)

We caught it 'port side' as you say, opposite WalMart/Sam's Club.

The official/formal sign in the lower left of the window says 'CENTRO'. Written above that are a list of destinations, including 'Wal-mart'. Those would be the return trip.

gary

Hola mexico8...After 4 cruises into this port our experience with the Walmart Bus was HAULS..... very few stops. Maybe we had the same driver each time.... LOL :D...Guess you weren't on any of our buses....Gracias and Adios :cool:

I think you have been very lucky with that HAULS bus (whatever that is). I have spent over 3 months every winter in PV for the past 10 years and take the buses frequently and have not had your experience. The fact that there are buses going by the port area about every 2 minutes means that none of the buses have to stop frequently.

So if I may clarify. It sounds to me what Jeff is saying is that buses that go downtown will not say wal-mart/sams club. Only buses that say wal-mart/sams club are buses that are coming BACK from downtown. Buses going TO downtown only say centro. If that is wrong please correct me as I am going there next week.

One question i have. Which side of the street do i catch the centro bus to downtown. Is it port side or do i cross the street?

Thanks again everyone for the great input on these boards.

Those buses are a little confusing. No matter which direction they are going they all keep the same names written in pen or marker in the window of the bus. To clarify, from the port area stay on the same side of the road (don't cross the street). Take a bus that says "Centro". It may also have Wal Mart and other names written too.

When you leave downtown to go back back to the ship take a bus that says Wal Mart or ask the bus driver if he goes to Wal Mart.

If the bus doesn't have Centro written in the window it may say Tunel which does go to a different area of town. The Tunel bus would bring you to the Old Town area. The Centro bus takes you to the Malecon (boardwalk by the ocean) and lots of restaurants and stores.

Hope you enjoy your day in PV.

Great input from Mexico8. Thank you. Last question on this subject (i think). if we go to old town (tunel) how far is that from the Malecon? Is old town where the flea market area is? we could go to there and walk to Malecon if not too far. Is old town the same as downtown?

Thanks again for inputs.

Great input from Mexico8. Thank you. Last question on this subject (i think). if we go to old town (tunel) how far is that from the Malecon? Is old town where the flea market area is? we could go to there and walk to Malecon if not too far. Is old town the same as downtown?

Thanks again for inputs.

Old Town and Down town are right next to each other. (I advise you not to use the bus marked Tunel because it goes different places and I don't want you to get lost.) I use the buses all the time but even I have little problems sometimes. Besides the Centro bus is much more scenic.

If you take the "Centro" bus you can get off on Vallarta Street after the bus goes over the bridge. That will be in Old Town (Romantic zone). There are stores and cafes etc. to look at in that area and to walk to the Flea Market is not too far. If you walk beside the ocean (there is a nice paved pathway) you walk for about 10 to 15 minutes and after you go over a pedestrian bridge you will turn right and the large flea market is up a couple of blocks. Ask anyone where it is.

(On your way to Old Town you will see the Malecon area but stay on the bus until it goes over the bridge on Vallarta and then you can walk back towards the malecon and the flea market.) There are lots of shops in the romantic zone and places for cold drinks and snacks etc.

On the Malecon (beside a restaurant called Vitea) there is also a large flea market (not as big as the other Flea market on Libertad). It's about 2 blocks from one flea market to the other so not too far to walk.

You can get a bus to go back to the ship (the one marked Centro, Wal mart/Sam's club). It costs about fifty cents and they take US money. (If you take a taxi it would be about 80 pesos or $7.00)

Any other questions, just ask.

LOL That is what I thought too....as did Jeff....After all these years of staying in PV we three all must been missing that Walmart Hauls bus :rolleyes:

I was clarifying the wrong info because I don't want all these people to be waiting for a Wal Mart (HAULS)?? bus. The bus would say Centro from the port to town and might have Wal mart or Sam's written in the window. Can't seem to get that across to Ashland.

Archived