Ships we've sailed that no longer exist.

mek

Close, but no cigar-

Fairsky was strictly a Sitmar ship and never sailed under the Princess Flag.

The Fair Princess was built as the Carinthia for Cunard (1956-1968), she was later purchased by Sitmar and known first as the Fairland (1968-1971) and later as the FairSea (1971-1988). Princess ran her as the Fair Princess from 1988 through 1997 when she was assigned to P&0 Australia who ran her under the same name until 2001.

According to this the Fairsky became the Sky Princess. Which we sailed on. You're correct that I blurped on the name it was never the Fair Princess. But it did sail for Princess as the Sky Princess.

Here's the link:

http://www.cruise-ships.com/princess-cruises/transferred/sky-princess/

According to this the Fairsky became the Sky Princess. Which we sailed on. You're correct that I blurped on the name it was never the Fair Princess. But it did sail for Princess as the Sky Princess.

Here's the link:

http://www.cruise-ships.com/princess-cruises/transferred/sky-princess/

Yep, Fairsky (the second ship of this name owned by Sitmar) became Sky Princess in 1989 when P&O/Princess bought out Sitmar cruises, she was only 5 years old at the time.

After her time in the Princess fleet she was transferred to the P&O Australia fleet being renamed Pacific Sky. She was subsequently sold to the European line Pullmantur (spelling?) where she was renamed Sky Wonder and then Atlantic Star (not sure why they renamed her).

She had been laid up in Marseilles for several years looking for a buyer but as she was the last of the cruise ships with steam turbine propulsion and required a great deal of technical knowledge, a buyer couldn't be found for her:(

She is currently in Allaiga Turkey being broken up next to the old Love Boat Pacific Princess. Very sad that this much loved ship is gone too soon.

Edited by Bella cruiser

Yep, Fairsky (the second ship of this name owned by Sitmar) became Sky Princess in 1989 when P&O/Princess bought out Sitmar cruises, she was only 5 years old at the time.

After her time in the Princess fleet she was transferred to the P&O Australia fleet being renamed Pacific Sky. She was subsequently sold to the European line Pullmantur (spelling?) where she was renamed Sky Wonder and then Atlantic Star (not sure why they renamed her).

She had been laid up in Marseilles for several years looking for a buyer but as she was the last of the cruise ships with steam turbine propulsion and required a great deal of technical knowledge, a buyer couldn't be found for her:(

She is currently in Allaiga Turkey being broken up next to the old Love Boat Pacific Princess. Very sad that this much loved ship is gone too soon.

I agree she was a wonderful ship. We had a great time sailing on her.

• 4 months later...

Since my mother wouldn't fly till 1970, the only way to see our family in France & Morocco, (I was born in Casablanca) from NY was to go Transatlantic from NYC to Le Havre, France, or Algerciras, Spain...so I was very lucky to have sailed on:

USS United States 1958 ( I came to America on her!!) and 1967

USS Constitution 1962,1963 & 1964

USS Independence 1961 ( we came in Hurricane Donna- horrible!!) & 1960

Michelangelo 1962 & 1963

Raffaello 1963

Queen Mary 1959

Queen Elizabeth 1959

France June 1966

Not a bad list, huh? Currently, I have cruised on 20 ships covering 29 cruises since 1990..I have been elected Event Coordinator for the Florida Chapter for the SSUSC ( SS United States Conservancy) about 3 weeks ago...you can read about this on the "whatever happened to" links here on CC...Come Sail Away...

Big Al

Since my mother wouldn't fly till 1970, the only way to see our family in France & Morocco, (I was born in Casablanca) from NY was to go Transatlantic from NYC to Le Havre, France, or Algerciras, Spain...so I was very lucky to have sailed on:

Michelangelo 1962 & 1963

Raffaello 1963

Queen Mary 1959

Queen Elizabeth 1959

France June 1966

Not a bad list, huh? Currently, I have cruised on 20 ships covering 29 cruises since 1990..I have been elected Event Coordinator for the Florida Chapter for the SSUSC ( SS United States Conservancy) about 3 weeks ago...you can read about this on the "whatever happened to" links here on CC...Come Sail Away...

Big Al

How lucky you are to have sailed on those wonderful ships. I've been to Morocco but only Tangiers. Happy Sailing

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Big Al,

Impressive list of vessels! Not to be picky, but I was looking at the dates that you sailed the Michelangelo and Raffaello. You seem to be off by a few years because those ships didn't enter service till about 1965.

Just thought you might want to double check your dates!

Have a great day!

Angelo

Michelangelo 1962 & 1963

Raffaello 1963

Queen Mary 1959

Queen Elizabeth 1959

France June 1966

Big Al

Hello Big Al,

Impressive list of vessels! Not to be picky, but I was looking at the dates that you sailed the Michelangelo and Raffaello. You seem to be off by a few years because those ships didn't enter service till about 1965.

Just thought you might want to double check your dates!

Have a great day!

Angelo

You are correct...Both ships entered service in 1965...I guessed at the years from my parent's pics...I will fix my cruise history....Thanks for the help!

Big Al

Michelangelo 1965& 1966

Raffaello 1965

Queen Mary 1959

Queen Elizabeth 1959

France June 1966

I was thinking about all of the ships I've sailed on that have changed ownership and now sail under a new name and then I did some research on ships I've been on that no longer even exist. Here goes...

Emerald Seas - Scrapped

Mardi Gras - Scrapped

Festival - Scrapped

Regent Sea - Sank

Regent Star - Scrapped

Seabreeze - Sank

Norway - Scrapped

Anyone else?

What about Carnivale?

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Monarch of the Seas last sailing. She was my 1st so I was glad to be part of her last.

On April 1, 2013, Monarch was transferred from Royal Caribbean International to Spain's Pullmantur Cruises to join her sister ship MS Sovereign.[7] Monarch will sailing year-round in the Southern Caribbean for Pullmantur beginning April 27, 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

Big Red Boat III - 2000. We were on the last full excursion from Houston. The following week the authorities seized the ship, forced the passengers off and then sailed her for the Bahamas.

Carnival Paradise. We sailed her twice while she was a non-smoking ship in the late 90's. She is still sailing, but once they allowed smoking on her, she was dead to me.

ken

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
June, 1990, dh and I sailed out of Miami to Western Caribbean aboard a beautiful, old ship Britanis of the cruiseline Chandris. She had a fascinating history. Launched in 1931, maiden voyage 1932, then served as a personnel transport during WWII. It was a small ship, by today's standards, but was elegant. One thing I remember most about her is the beautiful mahogany paneling throughout the ship. We had a VERY small cabin with two twin beds (not very romantic ). Near the end of our cruise, we learned that some passengers had to share a public bathroom with other cabins. We then considered ourselves very lucky! LOL

In her cruising days, pre and post-war, some of her passengers included Clark Gable, Carole Lombard, the Rockefellers, Ronald and Nancy Reagan, and other dignitaries. There was a guest register book on display, opened to where Clark Gable and Carole Lombard had signed.

I looked up this ship to see if she was still sailing. Sadly, she was being towed to the far East to be scrapped when she sank, just off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa in 2000.

Hubby and I had our first cruise aboard the Chandris Fantasy Cruise line. Britanis was our ship. We boarded in Jamica and sailed all the way to Cartegena, Columbia. I remember the fishermen with their families in small canoes diving for coins we threw from the ship in I think Belize.

We visited Aruba and Grand Cayman Island. It was a wonderful trip for us celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary. Such happy memories...sigh.

I remember the special dress up dinners and all the waiters dancing and singing as they brought Baked Alaska to our table.

The stairways were wide and beautiful and there was a very limited number of passengers on our cruise. Not sure how many the ship would accomidate.

That cruise pretty much set the bar so high no other cruise we have taken can compare.

The elegance, staff, clean and just a beautiful adventure and memory!

Hubby and I had our first cruise aboard the Chandris Fantasy Cruise line. Britanis was our ship. We boarded in Jamica and sailed all the way to Cartegena, Columbia. I remember the fishermen with their families in small canoes diving for coins we threw from the ship in I think Belize.

We visited Aruba and Grand Cayman Island. It was a wonderful trip for us celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary. Such happy memories...sigh.

I remember the special dress up dinners and all the waiters dancing and singing as they brought Baked Alaska to our table.

The stairways were wide and beautiful and there was a very limited number of passengers on our cruise. Not sure how many the ship would accomidate.

That cruise pretty much set the bar so high no other cruise we have taken can compare.

The elegance, staff, clean and just a beautiful adventure and memory!

I remember the diving for coins and the vendors that would float next to the ship and their wares would be lifted up on ropes.

I remember the diving for coins and the vendors that would float next to the ship and their wares would be lifted up on ropes.

We went onto a little island where vendors were spread out on blankets selling embrodried blouses and all kinds of hand work.

It was a most interesting trip. I am so sorry to see the ship sunk! She was a beauty and I would love to find another ship like that one for a really nice cruise rather than the now 'shorts and flip flop' type cruises being offered with so many on board! Sigh for the good old days.