Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Yes, they can early $24,000 a year but anythiing they earn over the 15 thousand amount, the rest of it will reduce their SS check.

You are right about the amount you can earn. I read the booklets and it gave me the answers to all of my questions including that question. I am going to go to the website tomorrow. Because I decided to work until 66, I thought that I could wait to set up a login until I get closer to retirement but it is better to know the right information before that happens.

I retired mid year this year at age 62. I will get 75% of my SS benefit from retiring early. To finish out this year, I can earn 1290 a month without giving ant of the SS back. It's a special thing for a partial year. Beginning in January 2015, the max is no longer per month, it's per year, and that number this year is $15,480.

You can earn it all in one

Month or spread out throughout the year, but it's a monthly cap for your first year if it's a partial year.

Did you know that for every MONTH you retire after age 62 (and before age 66) you aetn more SS. My husband plans to retire at 64 and he will get 84% of his full benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is good to know in case I decide to substitute later on.

Deb

Go to ssa.gov and make yourself a login. Lots ofv0 info there, and when the time comes you can apply for ss there. There is also a place to ask them question. Sidebars.

I did that last week. I applied for it and signed off on it. They called me a couple of days later to double check a couple of things. Told me I would get my first check

in February. All I have to do now is call them and let them know when I officially retire. Same thing with teacher retirement. Met with them this summer. They filled most of the paperwork out. All I have to do is fax it to them on my retirement date. If I retire in January I will get my first check in March. It was easier than I thought it would be. I'm hoping nothing changes on what they gave me and I hope it is all right..lol

Deb

I got there! I retired last Wednesday. I felt a bit emotional in the final few days and during the little Goodbye party with my colleagues, but when I woke up the first day that I was retired, it felt amazing! A new chapter in life. I have my first golf lesson this week, I have dusted off my bicycle and I'm planning days out and longer trips :D

Hi, thanks for all the help with the SS questions. I did call SS on Monday and I can't collect anything as a spouse of a disabled person because there is a limit as to how much you can earn but it was worth it to ask. I also found out that at 66, Kevin will collect retirement not disability payment but that his amount will not drop which is important because at 66 he will not have worked for 13 years. Also, that 3 months before your 65th birthday all people can get the hospitalization part of medicare but I can keep my insurance through work until we are ready for the other part. Just so everyone knows, you have to stay over night in a regular room for medicare to pay. Kevin went to the ER about a year ago and they put him in a room over night but it was an observation room so SS did not pick up the difference.

I got there! I retired last Wednesday. I felt a bit emotional in the final few days and during the little Goodbye party with my colleagues, but when I woke up the first day that I was retired, it felt amazing! A new chapter in life. I have my first golf lesson this week, I have dusted off my bicycle and I'm planning days out and longer trips :D

Hey, way to go - CONGRATS!

So happy for you!!! No more humpdays for you!!!!!

Deb

DH and I retired two months ago. We are still adjusting. We can't keep up with what day it is and now when one of us asks what day it is - the other replies "it's Saturday because now everyday is Saturday"!

We are getting our primary house ready to sell, figuring out health insurance and a million other things and don't know how we had time to ever work? But I LOVE that feeling of not having to stress out on Sunday nights. I grew to hate Sunday nights!

Internet wiz, (is it Karen?) I think you are crossing with us on Oasis TA in Oct? I would love to discuss your experience with recent retirement if we cross paths.

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

DH and I retired two months ago. We are still adjusting. We can't keep up with what day it is and now when one of us asks what day it is - the other replies "it's Saturday because now everyday is Saturday"!

We are getting our primary house ready to sell, figuring out health insurance and a million other things and don't know how we had time to ever work? But I LOVE that feeling of not having to stress out on Sunday nights. I grew to hate Sunday nights!

Debbie

/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness - you are walking my life already - We are trying to get our house ready to list, also - but I'm not home everyday to help so it seems like it's taking forever. Looking forward to a relocation - we already know the challenge of "finding and sharing our space". DH has been home for 10 yrs dues to disability and ultimately retirement. Now we will get to re-adjust again. Don't get me wrong - I am SO looking forward to it!!! And the Insurance is a little daunting but guess I'll figure it out. :)

Are you staying in NoVa - we are headed to FL but dd lives in Asburn. Hate your traffic not that NJ is a whole lot better - gotta LOVE 95 - lol!!!

Edited by BermudaStarz

Debbie

Sunday nights don't bother me at all, but boy oh boy, my DW just hates 'em these days, for the same reason - stressed out with her job. Fortunately she will be able to retire with me.... when you might ask.....

22 more hump days:o:D

Bermuda,

Just relocated to our weekend place on Eastern Shore and are selling our main house in NOVA. Our ultimate goal is moving to Florida. We have family there. What area in florida are you looking at?

Debbie

People usually move south when they retire. We have friends from Wisconsin that moved to North Carolina for work and to be close to her parents. Well, they both retired (at 62) and they are moving back to Wisconsin to be near their two kids.

Debbie

/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness - you are walking my life already - We are trying to get our house ready to list, also - but I'm not home everyday to help so it seems like it's taking forever. Looking forward to a relocation - we already know the challenge of "finding and sharing our space". DH has been home for 10 yrs dues to disability and ultimately retirement. Now we will get to re-adjust again. Don't get me wrong - I am SO looking forward to it!!! And the Insurance is a little daunting but guess I'll figure it out. :)

Are you staying in NoVa - we are headed to FL but dd lives in Asburn. Hate your traffic not that NJ is a whole lot better - gotta LOVE 95 - lol!!!

My husband has been disabled for 9 years at the age of 53 due to viral encephalitis and cancer. That is why I plan to work to 66 so that I can keep insurance and when I do retire I get full benefits and I am not limited to how much I can earn.

I taught for many year with a teacher who retired from my school. At the beginning of last school year, I saw her at a meeting. She became a principal at the age of 74. She was a great teacher.

Ok. Monday would have been my first day back for this school year. DH planned a trip to Atlantic City -- Sunday to Wednesday and I can go! Now I really feel like I am retired. And today I got a letter that the state has received all my information and will be processing my first monthly check. Life is good.:)

Ok. Monday would have been my first day back for this school year. DH planned a trip to Atlantic City -- Sunday to Wednesday and I can go! Now I really feel like I am retired. And today I got a letter that the state has received all my information and will be processing my first monthly check. Life is good.:)

So happy for you!! Enjoy it!!!

Deb

Monday is my first day back at school but only for teacher meetings. The kids start the following Monday.