Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

So, 96 days til I leave for the panama canal cruise. Coincidently, that is is how long long til I start clearing from the army after ovr 28 years then go on transition leave. Actual retirement date is now 1 February 2015. Still holding fast to the plan of retiring at 53 and being a burden on society. Life is good... so many cruise destinations, so little time....

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

So, 96 days til I leave for the panama canal cruise. Coincidently, that is is how long long til I start clearing from the army after ovr 28 years then go on transition leave. Actual retirement date is now 1 February 2015. Still holding fast to the plan of retiring at 53 and being a burden on society. Life is good... so many cruise destinations, so little time....

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

Enjoy.

When I retired my last day working was Oct. 31, 2012 actual retirement was Jan.2, 2013. Jan.3rd we embarked on our 1st cruise ever which was a Panama Canal cruise. We loved it and are sure you will also.

Thanks for all your years of service in the Army!!!...

So are you officially retired???[emoji2]

Hey, I didn't know that you were on this board. Guess it would make sense since you are close to retiring.

My story is different. I just finished an online class on Flipped Teaching and a one day math class. I don't have to renew my license until 2016 but these classes were cheap(the first one was good for 3 credits and cost $20, the second one was free) and easy. I plan to teach for at least 4 years even though I could collect retirement with my school system but I am only 62 for ss. Four years is a good number many reasons. I will be in my school for 30 years, our house will be paid for in 4 years, we can cruise more, and I still love to teach. So I guess I will set my clock for 4 years.

Hi Shirley!!! I've been on this site for awhile. Interesting people all trying to get to retirement with all different stories. You need to check in here more often. This past week I think 2 teachers retired. My retirement date is the end of January. I got my paperwork done last week. All I have to do is date it then fax it to them, then I'm a freebird. I haven't checked with Social Security yet. Plan to do that in a couple of weeks. We only get 66% of it in Louisiana which isn't great, but better than nothing.

Janice and I are going on the Getaway with 2 other teachers in July. Very Excited!!! Have yall been on any lately?

Hi Shirley!!! I've been on this site for awhile. Interesting people all trying to get to retirement with all different stories. You need to check in here more often. This past week I think 2 teachers retired. My retirement date is the end of January. I got my paperwork done last week. All I have to do is date it then fax it to them, then I'm a freebird. I haven't checked with Social Security yet. Plan to do that in a couple of weeks. We only get 66% of it in Louisiana which isn't great, but better than nothing.

Janice and I are going on the Getaway with 2 other teachers in July. Very Excited!!! Have yall been on any lately?

Why would you only get 66% of your SS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because Louisiana is a crazy state to live in....I'll make this short. School board does not take out social security. However, in my situation I worked outside the school system first and I got enough quarters to qualify for S. S. When I retire. But since I now work for a state retirement and for some strange reason (dirty politics??) I can only get 66% of what I earned. It is called WEP if you want to know more. They have been trying to get the politians to do away with it but they won't. I bet that 33% goes to them....lol;)

I didn't even know states could take part of your SS.

Now you know. Oh well...can't change it and still going to retire with my retirement and that. I do have a rent house which is usually a steady income, but nothing you can count on. I also have a hubby who said he is never going to retire. He works 5 months out of the year with seafood and he is off the rest of the time and makes way more than I do!!! It's all good.;)

Congratulations Katherine! I retired at Christmas and it felt great not having to go back to school and even better when standardized testing came and better yet no more snow days. See you in March on our cruise.

Happy Sailing!

Evie

Which cruise are you going on? I'll be on the NCL Pearl I think on March 6.

Yes, you are in charge of those hump days while I'm relaxing this summer. Wait til August...I'll be back ;)...lol

Yeah, It is crazy how retirement, social security, etc works. One of my friends husband worked for the federal govt. They are in a different system than ss.

He retired 10 years ago at 55. His wife worked with me and she retired at 62 (she is 3 years older than me). But he has worked with antiques his whole life.

So he has made extra money buying and selling antiques. Also in the last 10 years both of their mothers died so they inherited some money and antiques.

Jane always says that when they need some money, they just sell some antiques. Well everyone has their ways to make money. I was hoping to get a part time job in a school when I retire but I can't work for the Archdiocese (unless I sub) and collect retirement. Right now I am making more money than I ever thought in teaching. It helps for cruising.

I will check this site more often. Maybe I can get some info like what kind of supplemental insurance people have used.

Yes, you are in charge of those hump days while I'm relaxing this summer. Wait til August...I'll be back ;)...lol

I will do you proud until you return in a couple of months;):D

DW and I are visiting our retirement office on July 25 to get the application and other paperwork going. Can't start the process any sooner than 6 months out, so I'm not wasting any time:cool:

Both of us are public employees and we do not contribute to SS. The cost of the retirement is shared 50/50 between employer and employee. The higher contribution costs are not much more than contributing to SS and an employer match 401K.

We both have our SS quarters in prior to state service. However, because I will have 29 years in, my SS benefit will be reduced by somewhere around 75% via the WEP. Thank you very much!:mad:

I will do you proud until you return in a couple of months;):D

DW and I are visiting our retirement office on July 25 to get the application and other paperwork going. Can't start the process any sooner than 6 months out, so I'm not wasting any time:cool:

Both of us are public employees and we do not contribute to SS. The cost of the retirement is shared 50/50 between employer and employee. The higher contribution costs are not much more than contributing to SS and an employer match 401K.

We both have our SS quarters in prior to state service. However, because I will have 29 years in, my SS benefit will be reduced by somewhere around 75% via the WEP. Thank you very much!:mad:

I haven't actually been in to see what my Social Security will be but the least it can be is 66% as per S. S. person on phone. I can start applying for that on July 29th.

I haven't actually been in to see what my Social Security will be but the least it can be is 66% as per S. S. person on phone. I can start applying for that on July 29th.

Make an account at ssa.gov and you can do it all online. I did. First check in September.

DH retired 10yrs ago at 56. He planned so that when he retired so would our house payment. We have United Health care supplement

you'll find the one that's best for you.

My dad did the same thing, retired at 55 and had to house paid off. My mother never worked out side of the home. In a perfect world, that would work. Nine years ago my husband got viral encephalitis from shingles (which he had for a third time but this time on his face). He became disabled because of seizures and memory problems. On year later, he got prostate cancer. I had been carrying the health insurance because it was cheaper. Good thing because the medical bills were high. The first year we paid out $6000 and the insurance paid about $100,000. The second year we paid out $6,000 and the insurance paid $40,000. We also had a drop in wages because although we got the highest amount for disability it still was a big drop. So that is why health insurance is important to us. Working for four years means 4 years of insurance that we get at a low rate. Kevin does get free hospital service because he is disabled by it does not cover meds or doctors.

Make an account at ssa.gov and you can do it all online. I did. First check in September.

Yep...best way to handle this filing bit. Takes away lots of the stress. Went that route for the hubby earlier this year and will do same for me in early Feb.

My dad did the same thing, retired at 55 and had to house paid off. My mother never worked out side of the home. In a perfect world, that would work. Nine years ago my husband got viral encephalitis from shingles (which he had for a third time but this time on his face). He became disabled because of seizures and memory problems. On year later, he got prostate cancer. I had been carrying the health insurance because it was cheaper. Good thing because the medical bills were high. The first year we paid out $6000 and the insurance paid about $100,000. The second year we paid out $6,000 and the insurance paid $40,000. We also had a drop in wages because although we got the highest amount for disability it still was a big drop. So that is why health insurance is important to us. Working for four years means 4 years of insurance that we get at a low rate. Kevin does get free hospital service because he is disabled by it does not cover meds or doctors.

Shirley, I didn't realize it started with shingles. Took my shot right when I turned 60 ( insurance covered it onlybat 60). I have had a lot of family members who have had it.

Ssa.gov.....thanks all!!!

Seriously. I couldn't believe I could do it all online. I had gotten out my little blue card ready to go to a building, and saw ssa.gov and was good to go!

This is my first Wednesday that ISN'T A HUMP DAY. Yay!

I'm here to cheer the rest of you on!

Seriously. I couldn't believe I could do it all online. I had gotten out my little blue card ready to go to a building, and saw ssa.gov and was good to go!

This is my first Wednesday that ISN'T A HUMP DAY. Yay!

I'm here to cheer the rest of you on!

I tried it but I am too young..lol! I have to be 61 and 9 months...shucks...only have a month left too wait!!

And Happy Hump Day to everyone working today...I remembered!!!! I love this camel.[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][ATTACH]318077[/ATTACH]

Hey, I thought you stopped counting until sometime in August:confused: - stealing my thunder, eh?;):)

For me, 28 more humps to go!!

For internetwhiz Karen, its a -1 :p:D

Make it a great day!!