Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

This is fun, just discovered the 55+ group. I work in a school and will graduate with my 8th graders in June of 2018 (they are in the 5th grade now). DH reminded me that I embraced them when they entered:) kindergarten as "my" class. Seems a long way off but I have started counting down!

Glad to see someone else with my count down. Right now I am saying I will retire in 4 years. We will see how things are. 4 years is a long time and things can change.

We had a teacher that retired from my school 14 years ago at the age of 60.

I saw her a couple of years ago when she was doing a long term subbing job at a workshop. At the beginning of the school year mass (I work in a Catholic school.) at the Shrine in DC, I saw her again. She took the job of a principal at the age of 74. You can never tell what is going to happen.

Have you been teaching this same group since they started school. I know some places do that. And it's never too early to countdown:)

I am the school nurse so I have watched these kids grow and change since kindergarten :)

Glad to see someone else with my count down. Right now I am saying I will retire in 4 years. We will see how things are. 4 years is a long time and things can change.

We had a teacher that retired from my school 14 years ago at the age of 60.

I saw her a couple of years ago when she was doing a long term subbing job at a workshop. At the beginning of the school year mass (I work in a Catholic school.) at the Shrine in DC, I saw her again. She took the job of a principal at the age of 74. You can never tell what is going to happen.

read22, Yeah for sharing my year! But I cannot imagine becoming a principal at any year let alone 74! My dad was a principal as is my SIL...no thanks!

i started counting the days on my 65 birthday, February 6 and expected to work until February 6, 2015...

I've since moved up the timeline.

Last week our HR moved my position to another department. Its actually a better title and pay grade - great for my younger partner. I was fine with it until my new boss wanted me to agree to be project manager for a 1-2 year timeline...no way. Then I was told that due to a potential job action by one of our staff unions, no vacation days would be paid from October to January...and I have over 4 weeks now and will continue to accrue, and policy is that unused vacation is paid out at just 60%

44 year career ending, 29 with current employer

long story - short happy ending - I retire October 15

i started counting the days on my 65 birthday, February 6 and expected to work until February 6, 2015...

Last week our HR moved my position to another department. Its actually a better title and pay grade - great for my younger partner. I was fine with it until my new boss wanted me to agree to be project manager for a 1-2 year timeline...no way. Then I was told that due to a potential job action by one of our staff unions, no vacation days would be paid from October to January...and I have over 4 weeks now and will continue to accrue, and policy is that unused vacation is paid out at just 60%

Good for you! Sounds like you have made a good choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes! Good for you. Now all you need to figure out is how many hump days you have.

[attach]319428[/attach]

Whoot Whoot - 26 more hump days for me:D If my rithmetic is write, that shuld be one-halv yere to go;)

edit - not sure what happened to zla's pic???

Edited by tahoemc

Hey, the numbers are ticking down. Do all of you know what you are going to DO when you retire? Nothing is fine for about three weeks. Lol

-3 weeks from the last hump day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing difinitive, probably just sit back and catch our breath the first couple/few weeks, enjoying the mornings knowing we don't have to be anywhere. I'm certain there will be some adjustments that we'll have to make, appointments to make, etc. but we can't imagine that is anything like an 8+ hour job.

Long term, hope do to lots more cruising, travel in our RV, and may be take on some volunteer stuff. I'm intrigued by search and rescue, may be look into that. And might work as a session hire for our state legislature - that would be 5-6 months every other year. Its almost like reunion time for the retirees I see over there each session.

Hey, Hey, Hey, where did everyone go??? It's that day again!!

Only 25 more hump days for moi:D

I went on a cruise!!! Fun, fun, fun. We booked another one today...I really think I'm addicted...but what a great addiction..lol

But back to reality here, school starts next week so I will need to figure out how many hump days I really have left. It starts on Thursday so I don't have to count next week.;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Forums mobile app

Hey, the numbers are ticking down. Do all of you know what you are going to DO when you retire? Nothing is fine for about three weeks. Lol

-3 weeks from the last hump day.

Karen..you are too funny...:)

I can honestly say I don't want to do anything I don't have to do. See my grandkids is something I want to do more of. I still want to cruise. I also plan to continue meeting my teacher friends, both retired and still working. We have been meeting after school for the last 20 years on either Wednesdays and/or Fridays at the same local Mexican restaurant. Right now most are retired and they keep coming to our weekly get togethers. That is about it...lol.

Check back in a year and my story could be different!!!

Edited by zlacruising

zla, welcome back, glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Karen, glad your enjoying the first few weeks of retirement - hope its everything you dreamed of.

24 more Humps to go - whoot whoot:D

Edited by tahoemc

zla, welcome back, glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Karen, glad your enjoying the first few weeks of retirement - hope its everything you dreamed of.

24 more Humps to go - whoot whoot:D

Whoot whoot is right. Just got back from teacher meeting..aka...teachers drinking margaritas and/or beer and/or wine and/ or martinis. ..etc..lol

Tahoe...just checked...will be at 20 weeks in 2 weeks..so it will be interesting to see who retires first. I'm not counting week of Thanksgiving and 2 weeks for Christmas. I'm also not counting a week in November for another cruise.;)

Well, it's been ok for four weeks now.

I'm still counting it down with you folks.

I am still ok too, Karen. I just got off a 27 day cruise so I haven't experienced much down time yet. Right now this feels like any other summer vacation. We'll see how it goes in September!!

I am still ok too, Karen. I just got off a 27 day cruise so I haven't experienced much down time yet. Right now this feels like any other summer vacation. We'll see how it goes in September!!

How was your cruise???

Great! I did a 5 day with my sister and then continued on for 22 day transatlantic, UK, Germany, Norway, then another transatlantic back to NY. Lots of fun. Next trip is my real retirement cruise with girlfriends on 9/20 to Bermuda. So retirement is agreeing with me. :)

Great! I did a 5 day with my sister and then continued on for 22 day transatlantic, UK, Germany, Norway, then another transatlantic back to NY. Lots of fun. Next trip is my real retirement cruise with girlfriends on 9/20 to Bermuda. So retirement is agreeing with me. :)

That does sound great...sounds more like fabulous!!! Your 9/20 sounds great too. Bermuda is so pretty. Love the beaches!!

Deb

10 more hump days for me! And I am using my accrued vacation time with a week off this month, and a cruise to Bermuda next month, and every friday off until October.

DH and I live 12 miles from the Capital in Dc - I HATE the traffic, hate the cost of living, hate the taxes on our home...I really want to move to Delaware, which has many economic and other advantages for seniors, but DH is not willing to move. He did, however, suggest I look for a smaller vacation home there. Crazy but i am probably buying a house near my best friend who moved to my desired area in southern Delaware. then i will be splitting my time between Maryland with my DH and the more relaxed environment i want to live in near Bethany Beach. Fortunately we can afford both...and i am praying DH decides he wants to sell our big suburban home and move to DE. He does love fishing, so there is hope!

needless to say, this retirement planning period has been very stressful. over the years i have frequently vacationed with my BF since DH doesn't like traveling much. After 44 years together it kind of tough to still be facing these challenges.

but I've learned to appreciate our differences and celebrate the good things.

I do envy those cruising couples who both share a love for travel.