Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Retired as of next week. First time since high school that I haven't had a job but looking forward to it! It is going to be so strange but happy to lose the stress of owning a business for 26 years.

Have two b2b TAs coming up this fall to celebrate!

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Will anyone here besides me admit to being emotional about this process? It's not because I want to stay at my job. It's more because I have worked since I was a teen and now future is not mapped out.

98% of the time I am great with it, but it has surprised even me to feel emotions I hadn't thought I would feel. I know some will say "I'd like to have your problem" but that's how I feel now and then. Four weeks from tomorrow is my absolute last day of FT employment.

PS I do have a cruise this coming week to get my mind right, as well as three more amazing trips in the next 17 months! Life is good, just emotional at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will anyone here besides me admit to being emotional about this process? It's not because I want to stay at my job. It's more because I have worked since I was a teen and now future is not mapped out.

98% of the time I am great with it, but it has surprised even me to feel emotions I hadn't thought I would feel. I know some will say "I'd like to have your problem" but that's how I feel now and then. Four weeks from tomorrow is my absolute last day of FT employment.

PS I do have a cruise this coming week to get my mind right, as well as three more amazing trips in the next 17 months! Life is good, just emotional at times.

I do know what you mean. I feel very lucky to be able to go at 55. I am going at this age because the field and job I work in has changed greatly (and not in a good way) in recent years. However, in making the decision, I have realised that as a professional woman, a lot of my sense of self has been tied to the status of the job. I am fine about it now, but I did have a little wobble when taking the decision and I won't be surprised if I have another when I go :eek:

I do know what you mean. I feel very lucky to be able to go at 55. I am going at this age because the field and job I work in has changed greatly (and not in a good way) in recent years. However, in making the decision, I have realised that as a professional woman, a lot of my sense of self has been tied to the status of the job. I am fine about it now, but I did have a little wobble when taking the decision and I won't be surprised if I have another when I go :eek:

For me, it didn't hit me until two weeks ago. And I was as surprised by it as anyone.

Back to packing. I leave in navigator on Sunday for a week.

Debbie, congrats on the upcoming retirement. I'm sure the b2b cruises will be extra special knowing everyday will be Saturday by then;)

Karen and Priya2, I get the "emotion" you are talking about. Similar to y'all, I have been working since 16, two jobs while in college, and will turn 60 next year. For me, not so much emotion but just a realization that DW and I will be making a major life change and a big transition into a new life style. At times it makes me feel a little uneasy, not financially, but how DW and I will reconnect and identifying those things we want to do together and separately as individuals. Then I realize not matter what, it has got to be a better place than where we have been the last 33 years, and where I have been the last 43 years. Maybe these are emotions???

Debbie, congrats on the upcoming retirement. I'm sure the b2b cruises will be extra special knowing everyday will be Saturday by then;)

Karen and Priya2, I get the "emotion" you are talking about. Similar to y'all, I have been working since 16, two jobs while in college, and will turn 60 next year. For me, not so much emotion but just a realization that DW and I will be making a major life change and a big transition into a new life style. At times it makes me feel a little uneasy, not financially, but how DW and I will reconnect and identifying those things we want to do together and separately as individuals. Then I realize not matter what, it has got to be a better place than where we have been the last 33 years, and where I have been the last 43 years. Maybe these are emotions???

What makes it almost entirely positive for me is that my partner and I have only been together for 6 years. It took us a long time to meet each other. We have lots of time to make-up for and he is already retired. We are getting married in December - on a cruise of course :)

I hear what every one is saying. I love being with my students and would not have chosen a different career. But the job has changed lately and not for the better. Too much central office paper work and too much testing, preparing for tests. So I will enjoy my retirement. So far, I have 4 cruises booked for next year:)

What makes it almost entirely positive for me is that my partner and I have only been together for 6 years. It took us a long time to meet each other. We have lots of time to make-up for and he is already retired. We are getting married in December - on a cruise of course :)

Awwwwe.....how great is that!!!!!

I hear what every one is saying. I love being with my students and would not have chosen a different career. But the job has changed lately and not for the better. Too much central office paper work and too much testing, preparing for tests. So I will enjoy my retirement. So far, I have 4 cruises booked for next year:)

I feel the same way as you. It has changed a lot and I think it will only get worse. I'm in the process of getting a paraprofessional job until I retire just to get rid of all the stress involved with all the new implementations. A lot less pay but a lot less stress and it won't effect my retirement payment.

Anyway....no more hump days for me until August starts. Last day of school was yesterday!!!! YAY!!!

Caught up with all of the great posts! Congratulations to all that have retired or are retiring soon. We will all get there:)

I began the countdown clock on my phone when I saw this thread & only have 1207 days:D. I need to finish 20 years with my current employer to get medical after retirement. Also had 15 years in Banking prior to this job, but Banks are not great on retirement benefits:p. My DH will retire at the same time, but works for a non-profit so we will need to bridge insurance benefits until he reaches 65 and can do Medicare/supplemental.

Like most of you, looking forward to sleeping past 5:30am and traveling without asking permission:D. So many other fun things to do!

Norma

Edited by tootts

Hey Norma, welcome to the thread!

Only 33 more hump days here, some of you regulars are getting really close now;)

Thanks Mike - you will be a long time retiree by the time I'm done :D:D:D

Norma

My DW bought me a countdown clock for Christmas. It says 324 days to go until I "graduate". But technically, I'll be on vacation when that time comes, and we'll be on our way to Aruba and Bonaire by then!;)

Caught up with all of the great posts! Congratulations to all that have retired or are retiring soon. We will all get there:)

I began the countdown clock on my phone when I saw this thread & only have 1207 days:D. I need to finish 20 years with my current employer to get medical after retirement. Also had 15 years in Banking prior to this job, but Banks are not great on retirement benefits:p. My DH will retire at the same time, but works for a non-profit so we will need to bridge insurance benefits until he reaches 65 and can do Medicare/supplemental.

Like most of you, looking forward to sleeping past 5:30am and traveling without asking permission:D. So many other fun things to do!

Norma

Welcome Norma!!! I totally agree with the 5:30 wake up!! No more of that..YAY.