Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

46 more HUMP DAYS for me. Course I have LOTS of vacation weeks and personal time to use up during that time and holidays as well so it doesn't seem soooo far away!

Are you counting the hump days you aren't working???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Can I say 20 weeks after tomorrow??? YEP!!!;)

I just realized 20×5=100 days!!! That's scary...I'll be in the 2 digit range on Monday!!! YAY!!

I bought her enough outfits to last until she is 2. What fun and many were on sale.

If you have a cruise planned, she will have cute little outfits from every port...lol...bring extra money!:)

I retired when I was 47, we were lucky!:D

We've always been frugal except for travel, which is our 1 fun expense!

Now about those who say they'll wait, they love their job, etc., listen to these facts,,you have a 50/50 chance of being dead/alive at 65! And every year after that, the % grows that you'll be dead!

Enjoy life the best while you can, and as soon as you can!

The best to all!:)

Now about those who say they'll wait, they love their job, etc., listen to these facts,,you have a 50/50 chance of being dead/alive at 65! And every year after that, the % grows that you'll be dead!

I agree. I couldn't possibly have gone at 47, but I can go this summer at 55. I considered doing another couple of years to increase my pension, but it is manageable, so I have decided to go ahead and do it. My partner is retired already, we have only been together 6 years so we have lots of time to make up for and like you, we don't spend lots of money on anything other than travelling. Edited by Priya2

I agree. I couldn't possibly have gone at 47, but I can go this summer at 55. I considered doing another couple of years to increase my pension, but it is manageable, so I have decided to go ahead and do it. My partner is retired already, we have only been together 6 years so we have lots of time to make up for and like you, we don't spend lots of money on anything other than travelling.

Don't know if its the same in the UK, but here in the states you can make changes to save money! I've seen travel shows where people from the UK were moving to Spain, and Islands off the coast of Spain because of the lower costs! I have a neighbor who's transplanted here from England because her retirement money goes a lot farther here!:)

For us it was moving out of a high tax northern state that also had higher paying jobs,(we were retired so we didn't care:D) to a lower paying, lower tax state in the south like Florida! Our monthly bills here in Florida are 50% what we paid up north, so our retirement works for us here, but would be tight up North!:eek:

Of course moving south doesn't work if you're still working as the money you save on lower living costs are offset by jobs paying less, with little to no benefits!

But I agree with you, the sooner the better with retiring, we've had half a dozen seemingly healthy 50 something friends die in the past few years, and like the old saying goes, 'you can't take it with you', meaning money!

Edited by Russian Bear

Don't know if its the same in the UK, but here in the states you can make changes to save money! I've seen travel shows where people from the UK were moving to Spain, and Islands off the coast of Spain because of the lower costs! I have a neighbor who's transplanted here from England because her retirement money goes a lot farther here!:)

For us it was moving out of a high tax northern state that also had higher paying jobs,(we were retired so we didn't care:D) to a lower paying, lower tax state in the south like Florida! Our monthly bills here in Florida are 50% what we paid up north, so our retirement works for us here, but would be tight up North!:eek:

Of course moving south doesn't work if you're still working as the money you save on lower living costs are offset by jobs paying less, with little to no benefits!

But I agree with you, the sooner the better with retiring, we've had half a dozen seemingly healthy 50 something friends die in the past few years, and like the old saying goes, 'you can't take it with you', meaning money!

I can and will retire in 19 months,having been with my company 30 years.

I'll be 62 and hopefully SS will still be there.my wife says I won't retire cause

I have to be doing something can't stand still.Well if thats true I'll work part

time cause I want to,not cause I have to.

Absolutely! Also, my gift to my children was education! Sadly, unless we keep our mortgages, we have to leave money tied-up in our houses don't we (unless someone knows different)?

I wish I had a like button.

Dorisis, even though I am old enough to have great grandchildren, I don't have them, but do have 15 grandchildren, and 3 sons. When you said you finally got your first great grandchild, a girl after seven boys, just think........., from the 15 grandchilden, I have 10 boys, and 5 girls, so you can see, the girls are "outnumbered" by the boys. :)

H worked for 45 years and says he mostly loved his work. He has been happily retired now for some months. I've cut back my hours so we can spend more time together. Am now working about 20 hours per week instead of the 40-80+ hours I had been working. I am fine with turning down some requests and pacing myself.

We travel as much as we like and eat out a lot, spend a lot of time with my folks and friends. Life is good!

My dad is still working because he chooses to and doesn't know what he'd do if he didn't have his job to go off to. He golfs and travels as much as he wants, eats out most days, and genuinely enjoys the interactions he gets from being at the workplace and also studying the financial news (he likes day trading and checking the stock market). Dad sets his own hours and takes the cases he wants and rejects or refers the rest. It works well for him and keeps his mind active.

We're all different. It's great to have options and choices that are attractive!

For those of you who were able to retire before the Medicare kicked in at age 65, am I to surmise you all had insurance that carried over from your jobs or did you have to buy insurance? Reason hubby and I working til 66 and 65 respectively is to have the Medicare for primary and of course have to buy a supplement for secondary coverage.

For those of you who were able to retire before the Medicare kicked in at age 65, am I to surmise you all had insurance that carried over from your jobs or did you have to buy insurance? Reason hubby and I working til 66 and 65 respectively is to have the Medicare for primary and of course have to buy a supplement for secondary coverage.

I retire in 9 more hump days. I'm going to be 62 soon. My place of employ has a plan that if you have 15 years of service and are 62 you can retire from the college and keep your healthcare at the same cost we pay now. Which is 180 a month covering both my hubby and me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I retire in 9 more hump days. I'm going to be 62 soon. My place of employ has a plan that if you have 15 years of service and are 62 you can retire from the college and keep your healthcare at the same cost we pay now. Which is 180 a month covering both my hubby and me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey...when I retire at 62 I have the same type of insurance as you, BUT mine is $550 a month for hubby and me until 65, and it isn't a great insurance. Our out of pocket is like $5000 per person a year. I'm not sure why, but Obamacare made the deductible go up a 1000 a year.

There are only 10 days until I resign (I have to give four months notice). That alone feels pretty good :)

So did I read this wrong?? Do you have 10 days left or 10 days and 4 months???

So did I read this wrong?? Do you have 10 days left or 10 days and 4 months???

10 days until I submit my resignation (exciting in itself), then 4 months until my last working day :)

Going to go out ON MY 65th bday Dec 18th instead of waiting til Feb 27. I have had enough. Got sick with acute viral bronchitis and missed this whole week of work. DONE worrying about how much sick time left, if I have any vacation unscheduled and the stress of all the stuff going on at work and me not being there. SOOOOO DONE with all of it! COME ON DECEMBER!!!