Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Sadly, I have 152 hump days left until I "officially" retire. However, I think I'll take the last 8 of them as part of 8 weeks of vacation so I really only have 144 more to go.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well most people at my (I'll be 71 next month) age want to retire. At this point, I really like my job and don't want to. Nothing has been said to me one way or anther about me retiring.

I work for a very large corporation as a receptionist. They have just said they are planning on building, or moving to another building, as we are growing so much. It is possible that they might go to the "automated" phone system, which would put me out, but when visitors come in (we have lots of them), I don't know how they would handle that. I'll just take it one day at a time. :)

You have less days, but I've got two cruises too. One in March and one in July. When are yours??

March and May. Didn't intend on booking In May but when when offered up a D2 for 350 each after C and A discount, I jumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I retired on 31 dec, and boarded a plane that evening to New Zealand. Having a fantastic time here, and still another 10 days of holiday left!

So far I'm loving it....

The best thought is that after I get home, there's no rush to do laundry and get sorted for another working week!

I retired on 31 dec, and boarded a plane that evening to New Zealand. Having a fantastic time here, and still another 10 days of holiday left!

So far I'm loving it....

The best thought is that after I get home, there's no rush to do laundry and get sorted for another working week!

What a great retirement trip!!! And I agree with the best part about no rushing afterwards!!

Yes, you are so right. When you get back home from a cruise and you are RETIRED, you don't have to worry about going back to work. :(

The reason I say this, we are planning on cruising the end of April, but we will be going from "Sunday to Sunday." As you can guess, I have to go to work on Monday. :( I tried to get a cruise starting on Saturday, but nothing worked out for the way I wanted it.

If any of you have been on Royal Caribbean (normally I do Carnival, etc.), the Freedom of the Seas, would you tell me what you think of the ship when you cruised it? We have never been on this ship before.

I just turned 57 towards the end of December and will have 35 years of work as a nurse...mostly full time...on June 3 so I was originally shooting for that date as a goal for retirement. My daughter and her husband then announced that they were expecting another baby in early May (they also have 2-1/2 year old twins boys!)....so then I decided to change my date to May 2. I thought, shoot then I didn't meet my personal goal of working 35 years but I was happily surprised when HR calculated everything out and have another 5 months of sick leave that will go toward my time worked! yah! I made it.

I haven't started counting the days yet....just the days that I have until I cruise in Feb. Our weather has been beastly in MN so I am longing for some sun and sand!

Happy retirement countdowns to all of you! I remember several years ago looking ahead and thinking, gosh, that is a long time off. But the time goes so fast and before you know it is time to go on a permanent vacation!

Deb

Twintimegirl....I have twin grandkids that are 5. They do get easier to handle as they get older.:)

It is great that you get to retire in May with your 35 years!!! Enjoy it and your grandkids!!

I have twins. They are easier now. They are 34. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

355 more days, or

8,520 more hours, or

511,200 more minutes, or

30,672,000 seconds, or.....

50 more hump days:D

Sounds like about a year, give or take some seconds!;) I probably won't have mine that close until I call and confirm everything. I do know I have to work 86 days for the next school term starting in August. That's what they told me over the phone, but I definitely need that in writing!!!

Twintimegirl....I have twin grandkids that are 5. They do get easier to handle as they get older.:)

It is great that you get to retire in May with your 35 years!!! Enjoy it and your grandkids!!

Yes! I am glad to hear that things might get easier. The boys are so busy right now and hard to keep tabs on, especially when they are outside!

I am not sure of the number of days left but I realized the other day that I have 11 more Fridays to work! I am off a couple of them for the cruise so I think I have 13 more weeks of work. I can handle that!

Deb

Ziacruising, I have "twins" too. They are over 34, and then 11 years after having them, I had another son with the "same" husband. So I have "My Three Sons.":)

I am still working at a large corporate office and will be 71 next month, but I like my job, and would prefer working than staying at home, at least right now.

Ziacruising, I have "twins" too. They are over 34, and then 11 years after having them, I had another son with the "same" husband. So I have "My Three Sons.":)

I am still working at a large corporate office and will be 71 next month, but I like my job, and would prefer working than staying at home, at least right now.

You do what you feel like you need to do. I'm sure your sons understand. I really like teaching but there is so much stress involved in it now, I am ready. Although, after a year from retiring we are allowed to go back and sub or take someone's sabbatical, which I wouldn't mind simply because I like teaching and there is the "no stress" factor involved.