Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Well I was "thinking" ;)of retiring, and just turned 71 this past month. I just had a nice review (15 years here at big corporate office) yesterday, with a NICE raise. Guess I'll stay a tad longer. :)

Well I was "thinking" ;)of retiring, and just turned 71 this past month. I just had a nice review (15 years here at big corporate office) yesterday, with a NICE raise. Guess I'll stay a tad longer. :)

Congratulations on your successful review and resulting raise. Just don't see many salary adjustments these days. After having our salaries cut and furloughs instituted for several years, we have not been restored back up to pre-2009 levels. Gonna be awhile I guess, so it will be better for us to retire next year just so we can start seeing some increases in the future.

Yes, I agree, is is hard to find any company giving any good raises now days. I still may retire sooner than planned. I'm thinking my 16th anniversary will be in June, so I may retire right after that. That way, I would have my full vacation/sick leave, etc. to fall back on for a while.

356 days for me and hubby.

I'll retire with 32 years of law enforcement and he'll have 37 years with our local school district.

Now I just have to figure out where we will cruise to first after retirement. We're thinking about doing the 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.

I'll retire with 32 years of law enforcement and he'll have 37 years with our local school district.

Now I just have to figure out where we will cruise to first after retirement. We're thinking about doing the 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.

That Hawaii/Tahiti cruise sounds interesting - which cruise line??

We are slightly more than 10 months from hitting the eject button:D

Oh, that sounds like a nice one. I just booked a 10 day one for my retirement......geez...I might be a bit jealous!! No....just happy for all of us!!!:)))

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

That Hawaii/Tahiti cruise sounds interesting - which cruise line??

We are slightly more than 10 months from hitting the eject button:D

The 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise is on Princess. This year, they're offering it on the Crown Princess in October. They haven't posted next years sail dates yet.

We also booked a 10 night group cruise on the Royal Princess for April 2015 to celebrate our retirements, mother in laws 80th birthday and other family milestone birthdays/anniversaries.

As a tax auditor, STRESS was the big factor.

One day, after almost 29 years, I said ENOUGH! Called HR to find out how much time it took to process retirement papers and by 3:00 that afternoon - I WAS RETIRED!

5.5 years later, and on a few cruises each year - I do not miss it at all. Seldom think about what I did unless I meet a former auditee.

I was planning on going for 30 years, but found out that it only made a difference of $12.75 per month. The aggravation was not worth it!

Quietly sat at my desk and clean out the drawers, during lunch cleaned out the assigned vehicle and after lunch clean up the computer. At HR, gave them my ID Card and told them to inform the office that I had retired!

Just did a B2B in the Caribbean during that extreme cold period in Jan - Feb. Timing is every thing and retirement has been GREAT!

Last day in the office is today. Going to be a short one too. Retirement luncheon at 1300 and that's all she wrote folks. Actual retirement date is 09 Apr and I'll be somewhere in Hawaii on the Golden Princess enroute to the South Pacific. Got some holidays that have to be burnt off before the big day. Tomorrow starts the 7 Saturdays a week plan.

Last day in the office is today. Going to be a short one too. Retirement luncheon at 1300 and that's all she wrote folks. Actual retirement date is 09 Apr and I'll be somewhere in Hawaii on the Golden Princess enroute to the South Pacific. Got some holidays that have to be burnt off before the big day. Tomorrow starts the 7 Saturdays a week plan.

So happy for you. 11 more hump days here, but hey we are cruising this coming week.

Congrats on the last day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atog254...great way to go out. I bet it felt good!!! I'm a teacher and so far this year 5 teachers called in sick, then called the central office to say they were retiring and never went back!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Atog, excellent plan;), I can appreciate the point in time where you just say _________ (fill in the blank, use all of the hard consenants you want:cool:). I'm at that point, but need 10 more months as I am penalized 4%/yr before 60 and I don't have 30 yrs in yet. Will have 29 years by time I retire. That penalty is a big disincentive to leave too early.

Gunner, Congrats!!! What a way to finish out those last few days - enjoy your cruise!

Internetwhiz, so close now, woohoo!

I like that, 7 Saturdays a week. I have 5 days to go. Tomorrow is my final Friday:cool::cool::cool: