Best way to get from Vatican to Colosseum?

Derek King

Was hoping for some help from you all. Will be on the Gem first week of November.

I have a Vatican tour that ends about 12:30PM. I want to do a quick Colosseum visit after the tour before taking train back to port. What would be the quickest way to get there?

I know i can take the metro, but would have to change at Termini. I'm not sure how long that trip would take. Anyone done that before?

Would a taxi be quicker? any idea of what the cost would be?

Thanks a lot.

The metro won't be your fastest option. First you have a several block walk to the station (I'm assuming by "Vatican" you mean the museums. If you mean the basilica, it's even further to the metro stop), then a wait for the train, six or seven stops (depending on which station you enter at), a switch to the other line and the wait for that train, then two more stops.

If time is of the essence, spend the money for a cab, they will be plentiful either at the museums exit or Piazza San Pietro (basilica).

The metro won't be your fastest option. First you have a several block walk to the station (I'm assuming by "Vatican" you mean the museums. If you mean the basilica, it's even further to the metro stop), then a wait for the train, six or seven stops (depending on which station you enter at), a switch to the other line and the wait for that train, then two more stops.

If time is of the essence, spend the money for a cab, they will be plentiful either at the museums exit or Piazza San Pietro (basilica).

great i was wondering how easy it would be to get a cab near the museums.

Is there a taxi stand, or do i just hail one? any idea how much it would be?

the gem is in Civitavecchia until 7PM.

There is a taxi stand just outside the colonnade surrounding the piazza in front of St Peters, also as eurocruiser says, there are usually taxis in front of the Vatican museum entrance. Just depends where your tour ends. (Probably in St Peters...)

In Rome, you usually need to go to a taxi stand to get a taxi. The trip to the Colosseum.....hmmm, probably in the neighborhood of 10-15 euro.

I agree that if time is of the essence, it's money well spent to get a cab.

There is a taxi stand just outside the colonnade surrounding the piazza in front of St Peters, also as eurocruiser says, there are usually taxis in front of the Vatican museum entrance. Just depends where your tour ends. (Probably in St Peters...)

In Rome, you usually need to go to a taxi stand to get a taxi. The trip to the Colosseum.....hmmm, probably in the neighborhood of 10-15 euro.

great, thanks so much for the info. For that price i think it's well worth the time savings.

If you plan to visit inside the Colosseum, ask your taxi driver to drop you off at the Palatine Hill entrance rather than in front of the Colosseum. You can buy your ticket there and it is generally much less crowded than the ticket line at the Colosseum entrance. (It's about a block and a half away, you can easily see where to go once you get your ticket.)

I agree.

We took a taxi a few weeks ago and it cost 12 Euros. Ask several drivers what the fare will be and then ask if it is metered or flat rate. Take the flat rate taxi as the meter will run when you are stuck in traffic (you will be) and it will cost you more (a bit of experience talking here LOL).

The taxis are great fun, they have their side mirrors folded in so that they can squeeze through smaller gaps. Ours hit 2 other cars on the trip.If you want to get straight into the Colosseum without lining up with a guided tour, go to the hut by the Metro entrance.

Take a taxi :)

Archived