hemming your own pants

cobbmom123

At 5'1 and a size 10/12, even petite pants/jeans are generally about 4 inches too long. I usually am able to recruit someone to help me measure and pin them and such so I can hem them. It might be awhile before I can get someone to help, so I was thinking if I could do this all by myself. I have about 5-6 pairs of pants to be done.

Has anyone done this? How to you measure? Usually I just put them on and get someone else to pin them to the right length.

I always hem my own pants and jeans....just try them on (pinned) before you start cutting (if you need to cut!) Lightweight pants can sometimes just have the hem "doubled" and they will look and hang fine. You can't really do that with jeans...you need that machine hem for them to look normal, and that does require cutting.

I turn them inside out to pin (and try on), so that once the hem is right, I don't have to unpin and redo to the "wrong" side!

I am also short and I always have to hem my pants and jeans.

I usually try them on with the shoes I will wear them with or some

shoes or heels with the same height. Then I pin the the pants leg

to the correct length. It is not hard to do and you do not need anyone to help you. I have done it for years and never had help.

With the iron on fusion tape you don't even have to use a needle and thread. Of course I always hem my jeans on the sewing machine.

Good luck.

I feel your pain. I'm 4'10" and petites are cut wrong for me, even when I was a '2' I couldn't wear most petites. Those days are long gone, LOL. I've been hemming my own pants since Junior High.

Below are some links and here is what I do-

What I do is measure the inseam on an old pair. Turn the new pair inside out, pin and try on inside out. (Usually standing on a chair in front of my sliding glass door at night) If it is good I will then cut, turn the cut under and pin some more and either hand sew (light weight) or use my sewing machine (jeans). Jeans are easy because it is just a straight seam on the machine. It takes practice to make a hand-sewn hem invisible. Get some remnants and practice.

Skirts aren't any harder to hem.

I take knit dresses and 'travelers' to the tailor.

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/ht/hthempants.htm

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_4000_hem-pants.html

[url=http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/ht/hthempants.htm][/url]

For jeans, this is the easiest way and you get to keep the original hem. After you cut off jeans and hem them they never seem to have the same look. Here is the link.

http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38

I'm sure this same way could be used for other pants as well. I was skeptical at first but thought I'd try it. It really is fast and easy!

Kelly

For jeans, this is the easiest way and you get to keep the original hem. After you cut off jeans and hem them they never seem to have the same look. Here is the link.

I'm sure this same way could be used for other pants as well. I was skeptical at first but thought I'd try it. It really is fast and easy!

Kelly

Thanks so much for the link! Very clever as they never look right if you just hem them. I am so tired of purchasing pants with a 34"+ inseam. I wish there was a better selection of pants for people who wear flats or who aren't 5'10" tall! I try and look for petites or ones labeled "short", but they can be few and far between.

Kelly

Thanks! I think I'll try this.

I do wish they'd make clothing for short people! Even petites and short lengths usually look like they are for someone around 5'6 or 5'7. I always wondered if it was because I wore larger sizes. Even when I am in shape I still wear about a 6-8, I guess I'm just thick!

I guess I'm off to the store to get some thread and needles for the sewing machine.

Definitely measure the inseam, on a pair of pants that fit you well. That will give you a starting point. Pin them to that length, try them on, & adjust from there.

They make a special top-stitching thread for jeans -- it's yellow-orange, and thicker than regular thread (this would be if you don't follow Kelly's recommendation on an earlier post, and keep the existing hem).

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Denim-Thread-Yards-Old/dp/B000GIEVNS/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b

For regular pants (not jeans) experiment with the blind hemming stitch on your machine (if you have one). With a little bit of practice on some scraps of fabric, you should get the knack of it & it can look quite good.

Good luck!

Mary Ellen

Thanks so much for the link! Very clever as they never look right if you just hem them. I am so tired of purchasing pants with a 34"+ inseam. I wish there was a better selection of pants for people who wear flats or who aren't 5'10" tall! I try and look for petites or ones labeled "short", but they can be few and far between.

Wow - where are you finding 34" inseams? I have a 32" inseam and the majority of moderately priced/pre-hemmed pants have between a 30.5" and 31" inseam. A 34" inseam is usually in the "tall" category - which is what I usually wind up buying and then hemming to a 32 or 32.5. I'd love to find a source that has longer pants. :)

Wow - where are you finding 34" inseams? I have a 32" inseam and the majority of moderately priced/pre-hemmed pants have between a 30.5" and 31" inseam. A 34" inseam is usually in the "tall" category - which is what I usually wind up buying and then hemming to a 32 or 32.5. I'd love to find a source that has longer pants. :)

my jeans from Abercrombie are 33" for the regular length

I turn them inside out to pin (and try on), so that once the hem is right, I don't have to unpin and redo to the "wrong" side!

I always try them on inside out too before I hem!

I actually found a really nice pair of jeans last week that actually fit me in length!!!

As a 5' size 12, this was definitely a one-off..... I was overjoyed!!!

Archived