Ginger for Seasickness

Celest1022

I personally love Ginger Ale. I had a bad response with sea sick medication on my first cruise- now I am a firm believer in Ginger Ale. I usually start with a ginger ale on my flight or drive to the port, drink another before we sail or at dinner and again anytime the seas are rough or I feel sea sickness coming on- mine always starts with a headache. I can order a ginger ale while I am out and about the ship and no one even knows that I am not feeling well. Works like a charm!

Happy Sailing!

T.J.

I personally love Ginger Ale. I had a bad response with sea sick medication on my first cruise- now I am a firm believer in Ginger Ale. I usually start with a ginger ale on my flight or drive to the port, drink another before we sail or at dinner and again anytime the seas are rough or I feel sea sickness coming on- mine always starts with a headache. I can order a ginger ale while I am out and about the ship and no one even knows that I am not feeling well. Works like a charm!

Happy Sailing!

T.J.

Now I know why I never get seasick! I thought it was the rum in the rum and ginger ale but it must be the ginger ale:)

I went on the 'ginger hunt' the other day. Only thing I found at my 2 Trader Joes I went to was Ginger tea. Was at my grocery store and they have bulk foods. Found two different types of crystalized ginger, bought a little and then found some type of ginger candy, bought some of that. Tried it at home, boy, going to have to be mighty sick to tolerate the taste of any of that! Am now on the ginger capsule search, so far, haven't found any, but am sure I will. I tried the NONdrowsy Bonine just for a trial run, and was pretty groggy the entire day. So, hope I find the ginger.

I went on the 'ginger hunt' the other day. Only thing I found at my 2 Trader Joes I went to was Ginger tea. Was at my grocery store and they have bulk foods. Found two different types of crystalized ginger, bought a little and then found some type of ginger candy, bought some of that. Tried it at home, boy, going to have to be mighty sick to tolerate the taste of any of that! Am now on the ginger capsule search, so far, haven't found any, but am sure I will. I tried the NONdrowsy Bonine just for a trial run, and was pretty groggy the entire day. So, hope I find the ginger.

I would suggest trying seabands. My DW uses them and swears by them. A friend of ours who came on a trip in March and is a really bad traveller also bought them and only felt slightly queasy the first day of wearing them. They do need to be positioned properly to be effective but just follow the instructions on the pack.

Debbie, just go to CVS or Walgreens. Both stores should have the capsules. Also Walmart.

Debbie, just go to CVS or Walgreens. Both stores should have the capsules. Also Walmart.

Hi, Pia - Should is the operative word! Neither CVS nor Walgreens in my area had them. I did finally find some at a Walmart that I rarely go to because it's out of the way--just happened to be in that area yesterday.

Thank you for all your suggestions and responses.

I am a serious sufferer of motion sickness. For years I would not approach a ship. My sister, an MD, recommended the Scopolamine patch. This worked fine until I got home and the residual effects were devastating~

My brother, president of a San Diego fishing club, heard many recommendations from members (pharmacists, docs, etc) regarding the prescription SCOPACE. Pill form of Scopolamine but lesser dosage (taken every 8 hours as needed) works like a champ!!! When the need arises the pill is INSTANTLY effective. When unnecessary none need be taken. Talk with your doctor. Many are unaware of this product. I brought the pharmacoligic report to mine. Relief guarantess further cruising. Try it!!

For those of you that are going to try ginger for the first time...... be prepared with an alternative treatment. It didn't help me at all and gave me horrible heartburn.

As for Scopace in the answer above, I tried it for the first time on my last cruise. I've used the patch for years and never had a problem. I just hated having to wear one for 3 days straight even when it wasn't necessary. My doctor hadn't heard about it and it had to be ordered in to the pharmacy. It really worked great. The only bad thing was that it gave me the driest mouth I have ever had. So just be prepared with a bottle of water!

I would have said that ginger is very good against seasickness not for it! (LOL

Who invited the spelling & grammar ****?

Must be another English major without demonstrable outlet for four years wasted.

Just go away please. Quit wasting bandwidth.

(re: 'for' vs. 'against' comment from hansi)

OK, that was a bit harsh, I apologize.

The rudementry free flow of information and the atmosphere of a 'written conversation' are essential to the online blog experience. Since the earliest days of the interconnected University system, "Usenet", (the precursor to the "Internet") it was observed that excessive remark on simple grammer & spelling issues caused reluctance to comment on the issue at hand. Now you know.

Again, I apologize for my remark, as I realized you may not be aware of the faux paux.

We were on Golden on June 28th this summer from Seattle to Juneau and we had Force 6 seas. Capt. said we took "Quite a pounding" and lots of passengers got seasick, very few at dinner and the shows were cancelled for passenger and the entertainer's safety.

DW and I took the ginger capsules early that morning and about every 6 hours until we docked in Juneau. We were fine and didn't have any side effects. We really believe the ginger made the difference for us. We won't cruise without it! :)

• 2 months later...
OK, that was a bit harsh, I apologize.

The rudementry free flow of information and the atmosphere of a 'written conversation' are essential to the online blog experience. Since the earliest days of the interconnected University system, "Usenet", (the precursor to the "Internet") it was observed that excessive remark on simple grammer & spelling issues caused reluctance to comment on the issue at hand. Now you know.

Again, I apologize for my remark, as I realized you may not be aware of the faux paux.

That is nice that you apologized. I do believe you misunderstood that post, though. It was not about grammar; rather, a joke to take ginger against seasickness (meaning not to get it) vs. taking ginger for seasickness (meaning to get seasick). Very funny. Nothing to do w/ grammar.

I use the ginger capsules starting the day before the cruise. I take 1 capsule 3 times a day with each meal. Went on Alaskan 7 day cruise roundtrip out of Seattle. This was my husbands 2nd cruise. I explained to him the seas would be rough while out to sea the first night and he should take the ginger capsules. He took one right after we boarded the ship with his lunch and that was it! I tried to get him to take one with his dinner but Macho Man said he didn't need one! Well, guess who was sea sick the very next morning!!! He tried really hard not to tell me he was seasick but he was so miserable, he told me when we went to breakfast. Some green apple slices, saltine crackers and a ginger capsule got him back to normal. After that, I had no problem getting him to take the ginger capsules. Actually, everytime we headed out for a meal he would remind me not to forget the ginger capsules. They work if you take them!

Diane

Over Christmas when the ship was rocky on the first day, I took a Pepto Bismol tablet and got instant relief from the nausea feeling. Never had it again the whole trip. Other than that ginger ale and bitters from the bar is a good choice also expecially if you've eaten a lot of bread to keep your stomach dry.

I took ginger altoids & ginger candy on our cruise last May. I also had ginger teabags. Plus, something I'd read about here on CC was motioneaze - it's an oil that you place behind your earlobes as needed. we ordered it online. it is available at marine stores & some walmarts. it helped immensely & I am one who has had taken an rx for nausea along due to past experiences. with the motioneaze there's no drowsiness or side effects. I won't cruise without it now.

Just got back from a cruise and my niece took a ginger pill in the morning and one at night. Had no problems at all. Last year she was neauseated the whole time and never told us. She said she will never travel without them.

Got hers at Walmart but only had the one bottle.

when I was on my cruise, the seas were pretty rough for a few days. I just ate all of the ginger that came with the sushi... although it was pretty gross, it washes down with water pretty well. So, if you forgot your ginger tablets at home like me, you can get it one way or another! lol

One caution--drink plenty of water with your ginger capsule. I took one with only a swallow or two and it dissolved in my throat/upper chest. It was awful. Now I remember to drink a full glass of water with each dose.

• 11 months later...

Archived