Pompeii or Sorrento

africanviolet

I would have to agree, Pompeii is the most famous archeological site in the world after pretty much all of Egypt. Just be sure to wear sunscreen and a hat (there is NO shade) and comfortable walking shoes - the roads are all uneven cobblestones and very tricky to navigate in heels. Granted, I've seen my fair share of Italian girls walking Pompeii in stiletto's but they're Italian, they're born to that kind of thing! :D

Sorrento is a beautiful town but if you've ever been to a pretty Italian town, you'll not see anything new.

Just returned from a Med cruise. I would strongly suggest Pompei, unless you have problems walking. It's a lot of walking and difficult circumstances, ie boulders for streets and sidewalks. It's really an amazing place for the able bodied.

You could do both, or why not do Herculeneum and Sorrento and Positano? If you are there for about 8 hours you could do a private tour of all 3. Spend and 1 1/2-2 hrs first in Herculeneum (it is not as vast as Pompeii, but wonderful all the same) and then do the others. The cities and the Amalfi coast are not to be missed, but the archeological site is amazing.

Just returned from a Med cruise, and did the drive down the Amalfi Coast all the way to Ravella, and then an hour in Pompeii, by private tour. The Amalfi coast is beautiful , the towns are tiny jewels set on the side of the bluest water you can imagine- BUT I really wish I had spent more time in Pompeii. The ruins are fascinating and cover a large amount of ground. It is a completely unique experience to visit them. If I could do over, I would go to Pompeii first, spend at least a couple hours there, and then go to one town ( maybe Sorrento ) .

You can't go wrong, no matter what you choose. We prefer Herculaneum over Pompeii, others don't. Both are wonderful. The Amalfi Coast is incredible scenery, while Sorrento is a beautiful old village, best seen leisurely. You'll love it regardless.

Sorrento is a pretty town. Pompeii is one of the greatest archaelogical sites in the world.

My neighbor from SW Ohio summarizes it perfectly. Both are very and wonderful. Try to do both, especially with the easy rail link to Pompeii. BUT, if you can't, then Pompeii is the must see. Hopefully you can have a good guide there in Pompeii. Having someone explain what you are seeing makes a big difference, plus why it's important. There is much, much to see and enjoy in the Amalfi Coast area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It's up to you. It depends on what kind of experience you wish: historical or city life.

If you have time I suggest you to visit both casue they offer different emotions to the traveller.

Bye gunther

I'm trying to decide between going to these two along with the Amalfi Coast tour. Can someone help me decide which one to include? Thanks.

I'm trying to decide between going to these two along with the Amalfi Coast tour. Can someone help me decide which one to include? Thanks.

Pompeii if you must choose simply because Sorrento is a nice coastal town but does not offer the incredible history that Pompeii does. However maybe you could consider trying to see both?

Archived