Ncl post hawaii hilton village nightmare

twinnurses2

I guess I am not reading it right either...

:confused:..then, you didn't read it properly either.

she didn't say "she saved for 35 yrs just to go on a cruise"...I GIVE UP.

Our 35 years of saving and dreams of being in the Rainbow Tower was busted

Even when you are diligent and make your own reservations, flights, etc. Stuff can happen. Stuff happens. There are a lot of details and expectations with a vacation. Odds are something will go wrong. It's a blessing when it's not something huge.

I was so happy to hear that the nightmare was the view...for a second I thought it could have been hurricane or tsunami related (as has recently occurred in Samoa); or that an elevator cable broke; or the collapse of a roof...but it was the view.

While disappointing, hardly could be classified as a nightmare...think of the view that the folks in $10 million homes in Malibu have....trees and rooftops (some, not all have water views). So, rather than a nightmare at the Hilton, maybe you had 3 days in the life of another Hilton...Paris! Didn't you just have the most spectacular water views money can buy for the previous week?

why don't people really read what an OP writes..

this is what she said.

"My sister and I had to save our money and have worked hard for the past 35 years and decided to go on a cruise to Hawaii"

Some people read what THEY want to read. And then respond anyway.

My sister and I had save our money and have worked hard for the past 35 years and decided to go on a cruise to Hawaii. We booked with NCL on the Pride of America. The cruise was great but the NCL hotel package was a nightmare. We had paid for the Rainbow Tower overlooking Diamond Head over 15 months prior to the cruise. We were never informed that NCL only books its people in the Tapa Tower and no other section of the hotel. We learned of this after we arrived to the hotel and was informed that NCL changed our request and booked us in the Tapa Tower. A letter was in our room stating that NCL takes request of guests but do not have to guarantee any requests made. If that is the case NCL should have informed us during the 15 months leading up to the cruise that the request we made would not be honored. Our view of the room overlooked 3 roof tops and some trees and the front desk called it a garden view. What a view!:eek:

Our 35 years of saving and dreams of being in the Rainbow Tower was busted and we were also told if we wanted the Rainbow Tower we would have to fork out more money and I could not see that when what we paid prior to the cruise is what it is normal for the view in the Rainbow Tower.

The Tapa Tower is very noisey.

Thank you for the warning and your POV. I equate it to booking Niagara Falls expecting a view of the falls, and not getting it, after expecting it.

Or a balcony that faces the inside of the ship.:eek:

:confused:..then, you didn't read it properly either.

she didn't say "she saved for 35 yrs just to go on a cruise"...I GIVE UP.

oh for heavens sake, that is what she indicated: yes, you are right, she didn't directly say that...I guess I am not the only one that misunderstood am I??/

Nita

Holy crap' date=' if going on a cruise and then staying in Hawaii after was a NIGHTMARE, I can't imagine how the OP would handle any REAL problems. Geez folks, nothing is perfect. There are always problems in real life, even on vacation. Just roll with it, make the best of a negative situation, and try to enjoy what would be an unimaginable dream for 90% of the world's peoples who can barely find enough to eat. Get real here, folks.[/quote']

I agree. Shortly after my father passed away in the early 80's I booked a trip with Mom to Hawaii. Money was a little tight so the hotel I booked was about 1 step up from a student hostel and a little bigger than an inside cabin and I rented an ugly beige Ford Gran Torino from Rent a Wreck. You know what? It was one of the best trips I ever had and offered some a much needed break from her loss.

oh for heavens sake, that is what she indicated: yes, you are right, she didn't directly say that...I guess I am not the only one that misunderstood am I??/

Nita

Nita, rarely are you wrong, but this time I think you are. No you weren't the only one to misunderstand, but does that make it right? She said she worked hard and IMO Hawaii was a dream destination... sounds like she went on other vacations....but never to Hawaii. For all those who took the saving for 35 years literally-it is simply NOT what she said. The fault lies with those who didn't read carefully...

She was disappointed and conveyed it. Nightmare to her maybe. Who are we to judge? She did not bash the cruiseline, but conveyed strong disappointment with an aspect of the trip. threads like this is where the cheerleader complaints come from. (and I would consider myself an avid NCL fan, just one who is losing patience with jumping on folks when they say something negative.):(

I think it is wonderful that the original poster is trying to warn others. I have read many bad reviews of the Hilton Hawaiian Village for years. The "good rooms" are great, the others, disappointing.

We took the Star out of Honolulu in 2002 and we chose NOT to book hotels with NCL way back then! Your choices in Waikiki are so varied and getting to the ship so easy, no reason to book hotels with NCL. We like the old feel of the Royal Hawaiian...many people felt the older rooms were dumpy...but we love the old Hawaiian style.

We all have different expectations and a lot of reading really helps. I'm sorry the OP had a disappointing end to their Hawaiian vacation.:( I am glad they posted their experience.

Holy crap' date=' if going on a cruise and then staying in Hawaii after was a NIGHTMARE, I can't imagine how the OP would handle any REAL problems. Geez folks, nothing is perfect. There are always problems in real life, even on vacation. Just roll with it, make the best of a negative situation, and try to enjoy what would be an unimaginable dream for 90% of the world's peoples who can barely find enough to eat. Get real here, folks.[/quote']

Since most of us have disagreed with the OP to which "folks" are you addressing? Those that didn't say it was no nightmare just said to book your own reservations gives you a little more control, but I just have not read into "folks" responding to this thread agreeing a less than perfect view constitutes a "nightmare".

You better not book the Oasis of the Seas :p

I read in one of my cruise books there's some ship with an inside balcony with a view of the cow's butt at Ben and Jerry's... It said they get free ice cream. Has anybody seen this? Is it still true?

I read in one of my cruise books there's some ship with an inside balcony with a view of the cow's butt at Ben and Jerry's... It said they get free ice cream. Has anybody seen this? Is it still true?

I think it's an inside promenade room, but I haven't seen it personally.

Thank you for the warning and your POV. I equate it to booking Niagara Falls expecting a view of the falls, and not getting it, after expecting it.

Or a balcony that faces the inside of the ship.:eek:

Good analogy.......but a "balcony that faces the inside of the ship" is priceless! :D

Just my take on this (and it seems to be close to what others have said)

If I enjoyed a Hawaii Cruise (and I did a couple years ago) and then spent time in the hotel of my choice, I would be disappointed that I didn't get the room/view I had expected, but the word NIGHTMARE seems to me to be a bit overly dramatic. When I first saw the title of this thread I expected the problems were much more than what was contained in the post

But we all have different levels of tolerance, so if that was a nightmare to the OP, well, so be it

I think it's an inside promenade room, but I haven't seen it personally.

I believe that's correct MrPete...but the view "of the cows butt" is a description I hadn't heard before (and it did make me chuckle)

Nita, rarely are you wrong, but this time I think you are. No you weren't the only one to misunderstand, but does that make it right? She said she worked hard and IMO Hawaii was a dream destination... sounds like she went on other vacations....but never to Hawaii. For all those who took the saving for 35 years literally-it is simply NOT what she said. The fault lies with those who didn't read carefully...

She was disappointed and conveyed it. Nightmare to her maybe. Who are we to judge? She did not bash the cruiseline, but conveyed strong disappointment with an aspect of the trip. threads like this is where the cheerleader complaints come from. (and I would consider myself an avid NCL fan, just one who is losing patience with jumping on folks when they say something negative.):(

I do understand, but the way she worded it was a little over dramatic and nightmare it should not have been. I guess had I not stayed at the hotel several times I might even have felt a little different, I would still think she was over dramatising the issue, but I have and there are almost no bad views in the Tapa tower and very few rooms with Diamond Head views in the Rainbow tower, not to mention, what is the draw to Diamond Head? You have to admit, this was overdoing it a bit. If she had said something like, be careful what you book because we had thought we were getting a view of Diamond Head and booked the Rainbow tower, just to find out we were in the Tapa tower, I would have felt a little different, but nightmare??? I can't imagine anything in the HHV that would be a nightmare.

Nita

I think it is wonderful that the original poster is trying to warn others. I have read many bad reviews of the Hilton Hawaiian Village for years. The "good rooms" are great, the others, disappointing.

We took the Star out of Honolulu in 2002 and we chose NOT to book hotels with NCL way back then! Your choices in Waikiki are so varied and getting to the ship so easy, no reason to book hotels with NCL. We like the old feel of the Royal Hawaiian...many people felt the older rooms were dumpy...but we love the old Hawaiian style.

We all have different expectations and a lot of reading really helps. I'm sorry the OP had a disappointing end to their Hawaiian vacation.:( I am glad they posted their experience.

I can honestly say and I have stayed at the hotel about 5 times anyone who says the HHV was a nightmere is overly critical. The hotel, although probably overpriced is one of the truely awesome hotel in Hawaii. The only time I would take a complaint about the HHV seriously might be if the reviewer had a room in the Diamond Head tower. Have you stayed at the hotel?

You are right about different expectations and needs, I will not argue about that. I think the defenders, including myself have come forward becauses of the OPs statement about it being a nightmere, not about her disappointment. even though I would not have been bothered at all, I do understand how she felt, I do not understand her saying her experience, because of a view was a nightmere....

Nita

Just my take on this (and it seems to be close to what others have said)

If I enjoyed a Hawaii Cruise (and I did a couple years ago) and then spent time in the hotel of my choice, I would be disappointed that I didn't get the room/view I had expected, but the word NIGHTMARE seems to me to be a bit overly dramatic. When I first saw the title of this thread I expected the problems were much more than what was contained in the post

But we all have different levels of tolerance, so if that was a nightmare to the OP, well, so be it

I believe that's correct MrPete...but the view "of the cows butt" is a description I hadn't heard before (and it did make me chuckle)

My feelings exactly....

Sometimes our mood at the time creates "exaggeration" that might not otherwise happen. A little glass or two of wine after a hard day at work, or simply not feeling well can make someone use the word "nightmare" when what they really mean is "it was very disappointing". She used the wrong word....no biggy in my opinion. Haven't we done this at one time or another in our life...exaggerated?

To the OP....sorry you were looking forward to a lovely hotel stay. I've had those kind of disappointments myself. I remember when Disney opened their Animal Kingdom hotel....I forget the actual name of it. We booked 4 nights in it just after it opened. We specifically booked a room (which cost extra) where our balcony was facing the outdoor" animal grazing" areas. I was sooo excited to be able to sit on our balcony and watch all the animals. Who wouldn't be. Well....there was a ton of hype about it and once there and in our room....for the entire 4 nights we saw all of about 3 animals. I see more out my back door that backs up to the woods. :rolleyes: LOL

It was just opened and they did not have all the animals in stock or out yet. In my opinion they should not have charged more for the room till the place was finished. Bottom line....yes, I was disappointed but the hotel itself is beautiful and our stay otherwise was terrific. You win some you lose some...such is life. ;)

Sometimes our mood at the time creates "exaggeration" that might not otherwise happen. A little glass or two of wine after a hard day at work, or simply not feeling well can make someone use the word "nightmare" when what they really mean is "it was very disappointing". She used the wrong word....no biggy in my opinion. Haven't we done this at one time or another in our life...exaggerated?

To the OP....sorry you were looking forward to a lovely hotel stay. I've had those kind of disappointments myself. I remember when Disney opened their Animal Kingdom hotel....I forget the actual name of it. We booked 4 nights in it just after it opened. We specifically booked a room (which cost extra) where our balcony was facing the outdoor" animal grazing" areas. I was sooo excited to be able to sit on our balcony and watch all the animals. Who wouldn't be. Well....there was a ton of hype about it and once there and in our room....for the entire 4 nights we saw all of about 3 animals. I see more out my back door that backs up to the woods. :rolleyes: LOL

It was just opened and they did not have all the animals in stock or out yet. In my opinion they should not have charged more for the room till the place was finished. Bottom line....yes, I was disappointed but the hotel itself is beautiful and our stay otherwise was terrific. You win some you lose some...such is life. ;)

Animal Kingdom Lodge.....and now they have it separated to Jambo House and Kidani...we are DVC members...anyway, have stayed there 3 times now....one visit, barely saw any animals on the savanna where my room was located.....another...lovebug season...all over the balcony..lol..and another, the animals where everywhere.,..it was awesome.

I agree...you win some...you lose some.....but I have learned views arent the end all.....unless you are on a cruise:):D

Animal Kingdom Lodge.....and now they have it separated to Jambo House and Kidani...we are DVC members...anyway, have stayed there 3 times now....one visit, barely saw any animals on the savanna where my room was located.....another...lovebug season...all over the balcony..lol..and another, they were everywhere.,..it was awesome.

I agree...you win some...you lose some.....but I have learned views arent the end all.....unless you are on a cruise:):D

That's it...Animal Kingdom Lodge. Thanks! We almost bought a timeshare for the Wilderness Lodge. Back then it was like $10,000 for a lifetime share....not a bad price but we live too far away...hate flying!

Many people really have the word *Paradise* attached to the state of Hawaii which is why so many people experience theft there as a tourist....they totally let their guard down on many things which is why cars are broken into and the tourist ends up victimized. They have very high expectations with other things such as views, luaus, tours, etc. I personally think this begins from the moment that you land and walk through the airport. You're smelling plumeria blooms and feeling the warm breezes and it just seems surreal. Yeah, you might have looked at books and brochures, but unless you have done some research, you could be in for a surprise.

I met my husband on business in 2001 and while I will say it was very close to heaven :D nothing prepared me for the noise of Honolulu! We stayed at the Ala Moana hotel near the mall on the 23rd floor and I have actually stayed in NYC hotels and experienced less noise! It was a gorgeous view, but even at 3 in the morning you could hear the traffic outside. It didn't ruin my experience especially since all I paid for is my airfare, but when we go in the future I know we will stay nowhere near Honolulu. The plan is to rent something in Lanikai or Kailua. That's something we wouldn't have read in any travel book. I did however post my experience to my Virtual Tourist page in hopes that others would beware, not to mention the beaches on the Lanikai/Kailua side are sooooo much nicer and have way less ppl on them. Where I really feel fortunate is I didn't pay for the trip directly, so in that respect I can really respect what the OP was trying to say even though it was a bit dramatic, because I probably would have been terribly upset if I would have booked the Ala Moana myself.

What I think is really nice is that you can come to a place like CC or many other sites I frequent and get opinions from *real* people....I value those opinions much more than any travel book I could buy from the book store.

For the benefit of people thinking of booking their hotels through NCL, this may be useful: it is extremely rare that you will get a deal this way. If you're traveling alone, the cost for the hotel room will generally be close to what a solo person booking it would pay. But since NCL charges per person and not per room, the cost doubles for two people, though the hotel's room rate doesn't. Only in very isolated cases will you not get a far better deal booking it yourself when you're a party of two or more sharing a room.

The advantage of NCL's package is that you and your luggage also get a ride to or from the dock, which doesn't exactly make up for the price difference. Unless for some reason you really don't want to call your own cab, you'll do much better in most places by arranging for your own transportation to/from the port and booking your own room.

Archived