Making purchases on board

luvtogoplaces

I understand that an account can be set up once on board of the ship so that purchases made on board are charged to that account. I'd like more details on how that system works. Will the ship issue some sort of card? When I wish to purchase a drink at the bar/cafe, do I give/show the card? How do I pay for the drinks and/or food (those that are not free) during dinning at restaurants (free and specialty)?

Can one check his/her account anytime during the cruise to make sure the charges are correct? If there are mistakes, can they be corrected during the cruise but not have to wait until the end?

When you check in before boarding the ship, they will ask for a credit card or deposit for your on board expenses. They will take your photo, and then they will issue you a card with a magnetic strip that will serve as the key to your cabin as well as being used to charge your on board expenses. They also swipe it every time you embark/disembark and it will bring up the photo they take of you.

Every time you have an expense, they should ask for your card so that they can swipe it.

You can check your account on the TV in your room. Also, the last night they will leave an account summary at your door. Guests who used cash need to settle their accounts the last night. If you used a credit card, you don't have to do anything else as long as the charges are correct.

Also, it may be a good idea to call your credit card company before you leave to let them know you are traveling so they don't deny it as suspected fraudulent activity. It's not fun to try get this resolved when they don't tell you about it until after the ship leaves port...

You are issued a card that is used like a credit card for all your purchaes, it is also your room key card. Just present it for any purchases and it goes on your on board account which is settled up at the end of the cruise. Those purchases will be charged to your regular credit card company, the one you authorized when you checked in. Yes, you can check your account balance at anytime. And yes, it is best to check for any discrepancies and have them correctedright away before you leave the ship.

Someone beat me to the anwser.:D

I understand that an account can be set up once on board of the ship so that purchases made on board are charged to that account. I'd like more details on how that system works. Will the ship issue some sort of card? When I wish to purchase a drink at the bar/cafe, do I give/show the card? How do I pay for the drinks and/or food (those that are not free) during dinning at restaurants (free and specialty)?

Can one check his/her account anytime during the cruise to make sure the charges are correct? If there are mistakes, can they be corrected during the cruise but not have to wait until the end?

The card is the ONLY way you can purchase ANYTHING on board they will not take cash.

You give your card for anything you are going to purchase and you sign the slip for it same as you would with any credit card. KEEP those slips. You can go to the front desk any time and get a print out of your charges to date. The last night of the cruise you will receive a printout during the night under your door or stuck in a holder NEXT to your door with your complete final bill. If it is ok then you do nothing and it will be charged to whatever credit/debit card you used to set up the account when you boarded. Or if you left a cash deposit, it comes out of that then you get the remaining amount refunded to you.

A word to the wise, if you are on any kind of budget, keep a running total of your slips. The ship's card makes it so easy to forget you are spending money. Many people have had "statement shock" that last night! :eek:

It is also a good idea to check on your account status once or twice during your cruise. I have heard of instances where an additional charges were made or the wrong amount was entered. It is much easier to fix the problem on a sea day, when you are the only person at the counter, rather than try and catch someone the morning you leave, when the lines are long.

I have never had any issues, but it is nice to see each of the days charges while it is fresh in your memory. It simply takes them a minute to print you a couple any time you stop by the cutomer service desk.

Thanks for the info. I recall reading on a different thread that the card is swiped each time one enters a dining room. Is that true? If so, do I sign the slip at the end of the meal(if I order something extra that I have to pay for)? I simply wonder what to do at the end of the meal. If I haven't order anything extra, do I simply get up and leave or do I need to signal the waiter that I'm leaving? It's not like I'll need to ask for a check in that case....

Thanks for the info. I recall reading on a different thread that the card is swiped each time one enters a dining room. Is that true? If so, do I sign the slip at the end of the meal(if I order something extra that I have to pay for)? I simply wonder what to do at the end of the meal. If I haven't order anything extra, do I simply get up and leave or do I need to signal the waiter that I'm leaving? It's not like I'll need to ask for a check in that case....

No your card is NOT swiped when you enter the dining room.

When you are done eating you are free to leave the table. If you order any drinks that have charges associated with them they will take your card and order and return with your drinks and your receipt to sign at the time your order.

Hi! I just got back from traveling on the Pearl and you shouldn't have to give anyone your room key card in the dining room, unless your order drinks or something....You can go just go in and eat! I will say that the $12/per person fee that they charge per person for tips doesn't come off your account all at once but daily, which kind of messed me up, so make sure you do check your account frequently and keep your slips. I hope you have a good time!!!

Thanks for the info. I recall reading on a different thread that the card is swiped each time one enters a dining room.

On some of the newest ships like the Gem, they actually do swipe your card at the hostess stations of the free dining rooms. I believe that they are just using this data to take attendance, and possibly to update the big screens around the ship with the restaurant wait times displayed.

Unless you are dining in a specialty restaurant or ordered drinks or soda, you can just get up and leave when you're done with your meal. Of course, be ready for a guilt trip from the wait-staff if you don't have dessert before attempting to leave! :) Also, be conscious that once you leave the ship that you have to pay at restaurants before you leave. Don't laugh, I almost forgot my second day back from a cruise one time!

Also, so that you don't get hit with OBC (on-board credit) sticker shock, keep in mind that NCL will also be charging their customary $12/person/day automatic gratuity for the cabin stewards and restaurant staff onto your account. I say that mostly because two people on a 7-day cruise start out with a $168 charge on their OBC account before they even reach the gangway to board the ship, and you should budget accordingly rather than being surprised on the last evening when you receive your final OBC statement.....

No your card is NOT swiped when you enter the dining room.

When you are done eating you are free to leave the table. If you order any drinks that have charges associated with them they will take your card and order and return with your drinks and your receipt to sign at the time your order.

On some of the newest ships like the Gem, they actually do swipe your card at the hostess stations of the free dining rooms. I believe that they are just using this data to take attendance, and possibly to update the big screens around the ship with the restaurant wait times displayed.

Unless you are dining in a specialty restaurant or ordered drinks or soda, you can just get up and leave when you're done with your meal.

My card was swiped on both the Gem, as well as the Spirit. I was never sure why. If I was in a group (where we had gathered ourselves before dinner) they only wanted one card to swipe. So, I'm still not sure why.

But if you do make any beverage charges during dinner, your card will be swiped, and you will sign for the drink when served (or a few times, shortly after).

Rich

You can check your account anytime you'd like and get a hard copy print out from the pursers desk. This has usually been at the far end of the reception desk on the ships I've sailed. I usually do this the morning of the last full day of the cruise. There is never a line then and still plenty of time to correct any problems if there are any. I've only had one billing mistake after 8 cruises when I was double charged for an excursion, and that was adjusted quickly and easily. Just wanted you to know that not all ships have TV access to check you bill, as mentioned in the first post. None of the ships I've sailed on have had this option. Well maybe the Star did, but I never even touched the remote once this last cruise so I can't say for sure.;)

You can check your account anytime you'd like and get a hard copy print out from the pursers desk. This has usually been at the far end of the reception desk on the ships I've sailed. I usually do this the morning of the last full day of the cruise. There is never a line then and still plenty of time to correct any problems if there are any. I've only had one billing mistake after 8 cruises when I was double charged for an excursion, and that was adjusted quickly and easily. Just wanted you to know that not all ships have TV access to check you bill, as mentioned in the first post. None of the ships I've sailed on have had this option. Well maybe the Star did, but I never even touched the remote once this last cruise so I can't say for sure.;)

The Gem has a channel on the TV to check your account and we did check everyday. We prepaid the autogratuity so we did at least start with an account balance of zero :rolleyes:

they swiped our card, each time we went to the MDR. 1) it helps them to track the problems, if you were to report any. this way they know where you ate and who your servers were. 2) they use the information on the monitors..showing how the dining rooms are filling up.

Archived