Need to upgrade to family suite on "full" ship.

Kampkids

Trying to help some friends out of a jam. Family members made the reservations directly with Princess, and booked a family of 4 into an OV with the standard twin-into-queen bed arrangement. If they had been in charge of the arrangements, they would have booked a much larger room.

They are willing to pay for an upgrade to a family suite, but searching all the online travel agencies, this cruise is filling up fast! (Dec 27-Jan 3 Southern Caribbean from San Juan, PR.)

Their reservations have been paid in full, and at this point, a cancellation would cost them 50%. They have requested an upgrade with Princess, but no was the answer. Any ideas on how to improve this situation?

The Family Suite option is really expensive if you have to pay for it.

Most people are given the upgrade for free to the FS because they have 2 cabins that they are willing to give up that Princess needs. Princess contacts passengers for these type of upgrades within the week prior to the cruise.

I wonder then, if they would be able to try for two adjoining rooms instead? This might be harder to come by since the ship is so booked. But, your expert advice is great...I thought they might be better able to upgrade closer to the sailing date.

Thanks again!

Sharon

Normally, Princess upgrades complimentary at random, and as said, usually two seperate staterooms are given up for an FS upgrade. Although you can not actually request this to be done where it would do any good.

If there is an FS available, I am sure Princess would allow them to upgrade and pay the difference, which could run into many thousands of dollars more for them as the first four passengers are priced at the full suite price.

Adjoining staterooms are not available on all Princess ships, and they normally do book up quickly on those they are available.

Best bet would be to check and see if there were two balcony staterooms side by side they could book where the balcony door could be opened for access between the staterooms. But then again, you are probably talking major $$$$'s for this sort of upgrade from one outside to two balcony cabins. Good Luck!

A suggestion is to see if there is an inside cabin near their OV for the other two; that would be far less-expensive than a family suite. It really depends on the age of the other two in the family but that's what I'd do. FYI, I would not pin my hopes on an upgrade, even paying the difference. Another suggestion is to see if there is a mini-suite available and whether they can upgrade even if they're already paid in full. That would have a lot more room and they'd sleep more comfortably.

I strongly suggest they get a good TA who can help them out and look at all the possibilities.

I just did a quick check of this sailing, and everything except a few outside staterooms are 'waitlist only'. There are no suites, or inside staterooms whatsoever available.

I think this is going to be a huge problem unless they are willing to quickly jump on getting another outside stateroom to split things up a bit.

You have all been so helpful! I appreciate all the good info. I tried looking on some travel websites to see what was available, and I didn't see much. Maybe the two rooms close together might work. The kids are 15 and 4, with the 15 year old being very responsible. The family suite sounds way out of the realm of reasonable at this point. I didn't know they charge full price for the first 4 pax!

Thanks again to all of you!

You have all been so helpful! I appreciate all the good info. I tried looking on some travel websites to see what was available, and I didn't see much. Maybe the two rooms close together might work. The kids are 15 and 4, with the 15 year old being very responsible. The family suite sounds way out of the realm of reasonable at this point. I didn't know they charge full price for the first 4 pax!

As far as availability I would check with Princess directly as some travel sites don't have accurate inventory showing.

They would probably have to book one parent and one child in each cabin, then once onboard, have their key cards switched at the Pursers' Desk. It doesn't matter how responsible the 15 yr. old is - I believe the cut-off for being in an adjacent cabin to your parents is 16 yrs. old.

Only thing I might question is if princess will give a room for a 15 yr old and a 4 year old . I thought they need to be 18. Im also wondering if princess gave them the 3 and 4 passenger add on or if they got the child add on rate . I dont rember which cruise lines Ive been on when my kids went but I did get special rates on some of them . On a couple of cruises I rember my kids in fold down beds above ours , on a couple we had chairs or couches that made into beds . on others we had 2 queen size beds in our room . We did have 2 adjoing rooms on 1 cruise but I put one room in my name and the other in my wifes name . We had a door throuh rooms but as i rember we had to book that one a year in advance . Its been a while since my kids went but im sure the rules are proably still the same CARL

I think booking an adult in each cabin sounds like the way to go. I will suggest calling Princess, but as I said earlier, she had tried that already. Hadn't tried booking an extra cabin, though. I am not sure if she paid the discounted price for 3rd and 4th passenger...I would assume so.

Trying to help some friends out of a jam. Family members made the reservations directly with Princess, and booked a family of 4 into an OV with the standard twin-into-queen bed arrangement. If they had been in charge of the arrangements, they would have booked a much larger room.
We were in one of those rooms once and if the beds are fold down or drop down from the ceiling then we were told the lower beds must be in twin configuration as an aisle was required in event of emergency.

We were in one of those rooms once and if the beds are fold down or drop down from the ceiling then we were told the lower beds must be in twin configuration as an aisle was required in event of emergency.

The biggest problem is, I don't think the room has both the bunks and the twins. Does anyone know what E106 has in it?

We were given a free upgrade to the Family Suite on the Sapphire. We had booked a minisuite and an obstructed oceanview, and were offerred the free upgrade about a week before sailing. I would not pay full price for 4 people to get this suite, mainly because the balcony is too windy to use when the ship is moving. Here's a review and photos: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077929&highlight=sapphire+family+suite

I agree with those who recommend trying to find two adjoining cabins. That's what we normally do. Good luck!

If you are asking about E106 on the Caribbean princess, YES, it sleeps 4, so there will be two uppers and two lowers.

And thank you for your input. I didn't think it had bunks.

She was able to contact Princess CS and they told her she is on a priority list for upgrade, but as someone said earlier it won't happen until just before the cruise.

Thanks to all of you for such great advice. I love this board!

Sharon

And thank you for your input. I didn't think it had bunks.

She was able to contact Princess CS and they told her she is on a priority list for upgrade, but as someone said earlier it won't happen until just before the cruise.

Thanks to all of you for such great advice. I love this board!

Sharon

The room can accomodate 4, esp as the 2 are younger kids. There is enough storage in the closets and under the beds if you don't pack for a month (presume its just a 7 day trip). How much time do you spend in the cabin anyway? The biggest crunch is getting ready for dinner. Forgot what ship they were on, but the guys can go forward and use the shower in the health club area and dress there, leaving the room shower to mom and daughter. It can work out, and for sure they'll always remember the week spent in one room, and I bet they'll talk of it fondly. Sometiimes these are the things that bring a family closer together and gives them a touchstone in the past to treasure.

Priority list for an upgrade? Never heard of such a thing.

That makes at least two of us. There is a waitlist for obtaining a better stateroom (which you plan to pay for), but I have never heard of a 'priority' waitlist for either a complimentary upgrade, or a paid upgrade before. :confused:

Archived