Missed Ports

SmokinActuary

I don’t know where you’ll find this information or of what use it would be.

All of the “missed port” experiences I’ve had were out of the cruiseline's control but a result of weather or labor issues for that specific port. If it is a tender port it is more likely to be missed than if you are to dock in a protected bay.

The only other reason for missing a port is mechanical issues. In which case, it’s influenced more by the age of the ship and not the specific cruise line.

Is there a specific port you are worried about missing?

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

I am booked on the Brilliance in the Med for July and this ship just recently ran into serious problems (missed 4 out of 8 ports) and it just made me curious if such statistics were available. Obviously the more detailed the better.

I guess this is the actuary in me talking. :D

I just read the post about the recent weather problems the Brilliance of the Seas ran into. Just like sailing the Caribbean during hurricane season, no matter what line they’d been on those passengers would probably have missed the ports if it was on the same itinerary. The weather you’ll run into in July/August will be completely different so I wouldn’t worry about it, but I’d also plan on a post cruise night in Barcelona.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

You might try cruisejunkie.com. They have all sorts of 'cruise catagories" such as, "people overboard", "ships that have sunk", and a lot other different things. Don't think they have a message board, I've never seen one and they are not as comprehensive as cruisecritic.

You can connect to Carnival's policy from their home page. If you miss a port, for any reason, their policy in writing is they give you $20 pp on your S&S card.

They are the only cruiseline I know of with a written policy.

Iv missed Coco Cay on RCL and gotten nothing, other people said they got a credit, RCL doesnt do it the same from one time to the next.

Thanks everyone.

I just curious if certain ports were missed more often than others.

I would assume tendered ports are missed more frequently than non-tendered. It seems as if Mykanos is a bit risky because it is a tender port and it is a small island.

Thanks everyone.

I would assume tendered ports are missed more frequently than non-tendered. It seems as if Mykanos is a bit risky because it is a tender port and it is a small island.

I know the Cayman Islands is one port that is frequently missed due to high seas....

I have missed a couple of ports due to medical emergencies...

Thanks everyone.

In addition to tendered ports, we have also missed a couple of docked ports due to high winds. In one case (St. John's, Newfoundland) the harbor master would not dispatch the harbor pilot to the ship and closed access to the port, and in the other case (Puerto Madryn, Argentina) high winds prevented us from docking although we were already in the port facility.

It would be more useful to investigate which ports are missed more frequently rather than which lines/ships miss ports. As already pointed out, the main reason for missing a port is weather, and under similar weather conditions any ship of any line would be unlikely to make the scheduled port.

You are correct that Mykonos is missed occasionally. At certain times of year, the prevailing winds can make it difficult to dock or tender there.

Of course, anything can happen. A couple of ships ran into freak wind conditions around Rome during the summer 2009 Med season and were unable to make port. Not very happy campers, but this is always a risk on a cruise.

I know the Cayman Islands is one port that is frequently missed due to high seas....

Also Cozumel when the storms head to the gulf.

You might be more interested in weather trends as that will tell you more as far as which itineraries get the brunt of the storms.

It would be more useful to investigate which ports are missed more frequently rather than which lines/ships miss ports.

That is why I changed my tact in this thread.

I am just curious about what the realities are with cruising.

Has anyone read that blog written by that HAL captain? http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

It is fascinating.

Archived