Yellowbird in Nassau

jmm834

How do you get to the Yellowbird from where the ship docks? It looks like alot of fun!

The Yellowbird usually pulls into the dock downtown on the wharf where most of the tours start.

Some days they go at 9am / some at 1pm. Some days they don't go at all.

Give them a call for their schedule.

United Cruises Ltd. 242 322-1340

You can't miss the Yellowbird! Right on the dock that everyone is pretty much walking by on their way to Senor Frog's, Straw Market or wherever in that direction! You can also walk up to the boat pay and get on, it's not a real complicated deal.

I just called them for info. She said they normally go out at 1:00, weather permitting. You can just pay as you board...no need to book thru the cruiseline. It's $30/pp...Carnival is charging $39.95 :rolleyes: I asked her if it ever gets too full/sold out...she said no :confused: I guess it holds LOTS of people ;)

Just for your information we were quoted $25 by Capt. Clive I think his name is when we talked to him at the dock. I thought it was $30 as well but that's what we were told. Probably depends on the how crowded it is, and last Saturday it wasn't crowded at all. $25 all the rum punch you want, boat ride by some beautiful mansions, beach fun for an hour and a half, not a bad buy at all!

How is the beach they take you to?

We plan on going there with our 14 yr old DD and my neighbors and their 16 and 14 yr old boys.

I heard that families can stay on the top deck for the boat ride but how is the private beach? Do people behave on it? Safe to go to the beach with teens?

We plan on going there with our 14 yr old DD and my neighbors and their 16 and 14 yr old boys.

I heard that families can stay on the top deck for the boat ride but how is the private beach? Do people behave on it? Safe to go to the beach with teens?

It goes to a private beach that is patrolled and is safe. Some have complained in the past about sand gnats near the vegetation, nice clear water. You can come and go on the boat when at the beach but no "free" rum while at the beach, you have to buy. Free drink going to and coming back from the beach. Families are welcome but some of the passengers can get a bit - well lets just say DRUNK!!! Not hard to stay away from as they are usually downstairs attempting to "limbo" on the way back.

Boat can hold quite a few people.

We just returned from a Thanksgiving cruise aboard the Triumph and we did the Yellowbird trip in Nassau. Unfortunantly we were very disappointed in this excursion. I have done this same type of trip in other ports and the Yellowbird was not what we were expecting. Rum drinks were provided on the boat but standing in line to get one was ridiculous. We were lucky to get 2 drinks a piece, the guys working the bar were rude, the island stop was for only one hour, and we had to dock down the beach from where the chairs were located and walk through the woods to get there. By the time our boat docked at the beach, most of the chairs had already been taken by another boat at the beach. I hate to sound so negative but we were quite disappointed with our excursion.

We just returned from a Thanksgiving cruise aboard the Triumph and we did the Yellowbird trip in Nassau. Unfortunantly we were very disappointed in this excursion. I have done this same type of trip in other ports and the Yellowbird was not what we were expecting. Rum drinks were provided on the boat but standing in line to get one was ridiculous. We were lucky to get 2 drinks a piece, the guys working the bar were rude, the island stop was for only one hour, and we had to dock down the beach from where the chairs were located and walk through the woods to get there. By the time our boat docked at the beach, most of the chairs had already been taken by another boat at the beach. I hate to sound so negative but we were quite disappointed with our excursion.

So sorry it was bad... it has been a couple of years since I went on it. Hopefully you just got a "bad day".... not for you but for others.

I wonder if because you were there over Thanksgiving, if it was, perhaps, unusually crowded...

I have hear nothing but good reviews of the excursion...:confused:

GP

You said you were only able to get 2 drinks each, how long is the boat ride to the beach?

It says on RC's website that you must be 21 to participate. Wonder if this is a RC rule or a Yellowbird rule?

It says on RC's website that you must be 21 to participate. Wonder if this is a RC rule or a Yellowbird rule?

If you go thru the ships they say 21 because of liquor... if you go to Breezes on your own (you can look at the website) it is 14 and older and they mean it. Now during spring break it is 18 and above. And remember that they do NOT police the younger ones... drinking is basically ignored in the Bahamas... many 15 yo drink.

We attempted to take the Yellowbird on Nov 27th when we were in Nassau. We came off the ship with the mission of finding the Yellowbird Party boat for a tour around the islands that would stop at a beach for about 90 minutes and would have rum punch flowing and music playing. The reviews I read of it all were raving about the good time people had on it. So we get down to the end of the pier and there are a bunch of locals selling excursions of various types.

I didn't see any signs for the Yellowbird, so I asked the first guy I saw where we could find that excursion. The guy said he had never heard of the Yellowbird, to which I said, "give me a break! you just want me to buy your excursion". I moved to the next guy near him and asked and he pointed me down the pier to the right and said we could catch it there.

Before you can go anywhere, you have to go through the "welcome" building. I walked up to the information desk to double check the information I had just received and the woman behind the desk said "why would you want to go on the Yellowbird?" My answer was that it sounds like fun...is there a problem with it? She said that we should be going on the Booze and Cruise excursion, which, coincidentally, she just happened to be selling herself. She held up a flyer for it saying it was $60PP, to which I said the Yellowbird is $30 so we'll stick with that. She shrugged her shoulders and pointed us in the same direction as the other guy. As we made our way down the pier, we could not see any signs of the Yellowbird. We got down to the straw market (which is absolutely not worth the time, by the way) and were looking around when a guy walked up to us and asked if we wanted the Booze & Cruise. We said no and told him we wanted the Yellowbird. He said it was probably leaving today from the OTHER side of the pier where the water taxis are! That would have meant a hike back and it was supposed to leave at 1:00. We figured that we would never make it, if that was the case because it was 1:00 already. Then another guy comes up and says we need to buy tickets from him to get on the Yellowbird. There was no Yellowbird in sight and he wanted $35PP. I told him no thanks ...that we would wait and buy tickets as we got on. He asked if we have reservations and I said no. He said the only way we could get on is if we had advance reservations or bought from him. I told him my research indicated differently to which he said it was sold out and the ONLY way to get on was to pay him. Reluctantly, we did. Then we see the Yellowbird coming toward us about 5 minutes later and it was totally empty! It pulled up toward the dock and the guy who sold us tickets talked to the operator. He came back to us and said the Yellowbird was cancelled for the day and that we would have to take the Booze Cruise (docked there). Not for the same price, mind you...we would have to pay another $30PP each. We asked for our money back and he did give it to us. What a run around from everyone! Those guys at the pier and in the information center cannot be trusted in my opinion. This is one time it might have been worthwhile to book what we wanted to do through the cruise line excursion desk.

We attempted to take the Yellowbird on Nov 27th when we were in Nassau. We came off the ship with the mission of finding the Yellowbird Party boat for a tour around the islands that would stop at a beach for about 90 minutes and would have rum punch flowing and music playing. The reviews I read of it all were raving about the good time people had on it. So we get down to the end of the pier and there are a bunch of locals selling excursions of various types.

I didn't see any signs for the Yellowbird, so I asked the first guy I saw where we could find that excursion. The guy said he had never heard of the Yellowbird, to which I said, "give me a break! you just want me to buy your excursion". I moved to the next guy near him and asked and he pointed me down the pier to the right and said we could catch it there.

Before you can go anywhere, you have to go through the "welcome" building. I walked up to the information desk to double check the information I had just received and the woman behind the desk said "why would you want to go on the Yellowbird?" My answer was that it sounds like fun...is there a problem with it? She said that we should be going on the Booze and Cruise excursion, which, coincidentally, she just happened to be selling herself. She held up a flyer for it saying it was $60PP, to which I said the Yellowbird is $30 so we'll stick with that. She shrugged her shoulders and pointed us in the same direction as the other guy. As we made our way down the pier, we could not see any signs of the Yellowbird. We got down to the straw market (which is absolutely not worth the time, by the way) and were looking around when a guy walked up to us and asked if we wanted the Booze & Cruise. We said no and told him we wanted the Yellowbird. He said it was probably leaving today from the OTHER side of the pier where the water taxis are! That would have meant a hike back and it was supposed to leave at 1:00. We figured that we would never make it, if that was the case because it was 1:00 already. Then another guy comes up and says we need to buy tickets from him to get on the Yellowbird. There was no Yellowbird in sight and he wanted $35PP. I told him no thanks ...that we would wait and buy tickets as we got on. He asked if we have reservations and I said no. He said the only way we could get on is if we had advance reservations or bought from him. I told him my research indicated differently to which he said it was sold out and the ONLY way to get on was to pay him. Reluctantly, we did. Then we see the Yellowbird coming toward us about 5 minutes later and it was totally empty! It pulled up toward the dock and the guy who sold us tickets talked to the operator. He came back to us and said the Yellowbird was cancelled for the day and that we would have to take the Booze Cruise (docked there). Not for the same price, mind you...we would have to pay another $30PP each. We asked for our money back and he did give it to us. What a run around from everyone! Those guys at the pier and in the information center cannot be trusted in my opinion. This is one time it might have been worthwhile to book what we wanted to do through the cruise line excursion desk.

Yellowbird is a "boat for hire" and independent. Most tour operators do NOT book it directly, it can be booked only thru the cruiselines and in some cases boarded downtown and paid directly. Depending on the number of passengers.

Some tours are being cancelled by the cruiseships because they are advertising independently, or being sold elsewhere, the ships want them exclusively, that's why the Information and tour desks don't know about or recommend this tour.

Whether or not the boat goes out depends on 2 things.. whether the Ships have booked enough people, or whether the boat is sea worthy. (weather, engine trouble etc)

If you do not want to book from your ship, or it's not available, I recommend you call them directly and ask when and where they will be going. And if they have room, can you pay onboard.

The guys on the dock get a few bucks (kickback), but you CAN and SHOULD pay on the boat.

The yellowbird is NOT booked every day, and sometimes goes out at 9am, sometimes 1pm and sometimes both.

Call them directly

United Cruises

242 322-1340

Archived