Young Widoww/ kids..1st cruise to West Car. over Xmas

EliseinAustin

Stowels, by now you have noticed that your story has touched many wonderful people on this forum. You have brought out the best in all of those who have read these threads. And the information, tips, suggestions, and advice are absolutely the best tools for you to make planning this trip as stress-free as possible. You could not have made a better decision than to reach out to these people for help.

Note our profile indicates we are also in Austin (far north Austin, specifically). If you would like to visit with us on a local level - - and you feel comfortable in doing so - - please email us. Our contact information is in our profile. We have a lot of experience with the Galveston cruise terminal, having sailed from there 3 times (with a 4th sailing coming up this Sunday), and have a good deal of history with your itinerary. Additionally, although our cruise experience is largely on Carnival, we sailed on one of the Voyager-class ships (Adventure of the Seas) just last year. We may be able to answer many questions you have about this beautiful ship, or about the whole cruise experience in general.

Again . . . no pressure here. We just wanted you to have an additional source of information to help you along this path. May we be of help?

Kindest regards,

Jon & Tony

YES, YOU CAN!

Going on a cruise is not on the following level:

Kicking a field goal for Texas with the game on the line against Oklahoma or even Texas A &M or,

Pitching to Alex Rodriquez any time, or

Drilling for oil in the Gulf during a rainstorm (this is the serious one)

Designing the scoreboard in Cowboys Stadium, with Jerry Jones looking over your shoulder

Giving a line dancing lesson to an elephant

And, just remember, that contributors to these boards are for the most part ordinary folks who purchase six packs at the neighborhood 7 -11. If they can plan and go on nice cruises yikes, sure you can.

Just a wild guess here but I'd bet you're from Texas. Even that reference to ARod (he did play for the Rangers for a few seasons...our $252M shortstop :eek:) since he's moved onto a team that gave him a chance for the WS ring he's sporting now. Dunno where the elephants mix in except you are trying to teach them line dancing. Maybe this would work well at the Stockyards? :D

Stowels,, I am so sorry for your loss,, what a shock. I do think going away at Xmas is a good idea,, we did after my mom passed away in September one year... it was the first Xmas in 45 years that I had not spend with her,, so getting away was neccesary. It doesn't "fix" anything of course,, but it takes away some of the "cues" that would make me sadder at that time.

I wouldnt' recommend a shore ex in every port either. If you go to Grand Cayman,, I would make that a beach day,, the beaches there are amazing. I would recommend a ship shore ex in Jamaica,, we loved Dunns River Falls.

Your oldest child is certainly old enough to be a bit of help,, not in a heavy way of course,, but ask the older two to maybe look at shore excurision information and help you look up some ideas...

As for wandering the ship alone,, I have done that for years,, honestly,, are there really women that can't do things on their own?? How old fashioned,. If I honestly thought it was dangerous for an adult female to wander the ship alone,, I wouldn't cruise. I also travel solo to Europe.

Your youngest two kids should do buddy system though. Really , your youngest will likley be busy with friends they meet in the youth club,, so the 15 yr old will likely hang out with the 17 yr old.

OUr only rule for our 14 and 16 yr olds were we always meet for dinner . We saw them through out day too though,, its a ship after all. Our 10 yr old we signed in and out of the kids club,, and when she wasn't in the club she was with us.

Then stop looking, its really none of our business is it?

I have not posted the link to this article because that is for the OP to do if she wishes.

However, this is a public board. The OP has given enough details about herself for someone to easily find this article. She spoke to the newspaper and gave them details. Because of HIPAA laws, the hospital would not release this information; she apparently did.

IMO, the internet is not a private place and one should be careful what one posts.

I have not posted the link to this article because that is for the OP to do if she wishes.

However, this is a public board. The OP has given enough details about herself for someone to easily find this article. She spoke to the newspaper and gave them details. Because of HIPAA laws, the hospital would not release this information; she apparently did.

IMO, the internet is not a private place and one should be careful what one posts.

OH ,, for goodness sake,, there is something called KINDNESS and TACT,, ,, and this is a CRUISING board,, OP wants advise and suggestions about cruising. I understand you read the obit and commented kindly,, but now ,, its over,, I am sure the OP does not need to see these kind of posts.. Knowing you guys actually spend time to search the web for her husbands obit is a bit creepy. Leave it alone. The post was about cruising. She included the neccesary information WE needed, she is a recent widow,, and she has four kids. Thats all anyone needs to know to help with this thread.

Get back on track.

This forum really should have a PRIVATE MESSAGE function like many other forums I go on,, it keeps this sort of stuff,, which is completely off topic,, off the boards,, but does allow members to contact each other if they wish,, privately.

As for wandering the ship alone,, I have done that for years,, honestly,, are there really women that can't do things on their own?? How old fashioned,. If I honestly thought it was dangerous for an adult female to wander the ship alone,, I wouldn't cruise. I also travel solo to Europe.

I agree. Sure, keep your wits about you, but I have never felt the least bit threatened or scared or anything when wandering by myself on board. Agree with Europe, also - never found reason to fear being on foot by myself. Please let's not give the OP things to fear! This is hard enuf for her without imply there are bad folks lurking around each corner.

Hello,

No, I am not as President Obama said so eloquently, from the great State of Texas.

I put some Texas references in my response and some nonsense about a elephant, to ensure as much as I can, that she and her family will have great time on a cruise. And if a big dummy like me can plan a cruise, then a nice smart gal like her sure can.

And while I am here, Retiree is attempting to rewrite the English language and if she wants to spell "enough" as "enuf" she has evry right to do so, cause she's jest a youn gal.

She is another very smart, nice gal.

Then stop looking, its really none of our business is it?

Please forgive me. I certainly didn't mean any harm. I have to say that I think this is the first time anybody has every turned on me like this on any board. I'll be leaving this one now.:(

Please forgive me. I certainly didn't mean any harm. I have to say that I think this is the first time anybody has every turned on me like this on any board. I'll be leaving this one now.:(

And you are asking for forgiveness for what? Taking a personal interest in another person?

Don't take things personally that people post on chat boards! Why should you care? You will never agree with everything a poster says, and why do you think what they say is more important than what you have to say? No one has turned on you; another poster is just being rude to you.

I don't think you were wrong; merely curious and will again state that the internet is not a private place. If you post personal information, people will look at it. If another poster chastises you for this, that's their problem. Ignore.

Bonjour,

Like you and Boulders, I am also a young widow and have a 6 1/2 year old daughter. I took my first cruise with other young widowed friends (without any children) on the one year anniversary of my husband`s death and it was really difficult. What I found most difficult was seeing lovey dovey couples BUT that can happen anywhere you vacation!

I took another cruise this fall with my daughter (in Europe) and it was a great way for a single parent to travel because there is plenty of entertainment for the kids (and teenagers in your case) and you may actually get a bit of free time to yourself to rest (much needed as a widowed parent!).

I commend you on making this new tradition for your family. For me, it took three years, before I felt in the Christmas spirit so this is a great idea for you to do this. You won`t regret it I am sure! It will put your and your kids`focus on something fun and positive rather than what is missing.

Also, do you know about the young widows`web site (www.ywbb.org) very useful resource.

Have a good holiday in spite of the pain.

I too am so sorry for you and your childrens loss. I can't say I know what it is like to lose a husband, but I can say I know what your children are going thru. I lost my dad when I was 18 and my brothers were 15, granted it has now been 27 years since that horrible day. All I can say it does get easier with time, but they will never forget him and will have days when it bothers them more than others. I think of my Dad all the time, and still Christmas is hard. We do carry on and your children will move on with their lives, grow up, graduate school, get married and then have children of their own, and their dad will be with them thru it all, I truly believe that.

Please try and enjoy your Christmas Cruise, perhaps take a moment Christmas Day as a family and reflect back on the past Christmas and know that he is with all of you in your hearts and will be smiling down on you all.

We too are going on a Christmas Cruise this year and it will be the first time my Mom, my brother his family and my family have been together during the holidays for 10 years.

God Bless to you and yours

All the best and have a Merry Christmas

Angie

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be scared into booking the excursions through the cruiseline. It may be "simpler" but you will probably be kicking yourself for a long time after. I just got off Freedom of the Seas today. I am a single mother traveling with 2 boys 10 and 11, so I though it would be safer to book with RC, boy was I wrong. I booked 2 excursion through them and both were awful. Do research and plan ahead and you will have a wonderful trip. By the way I booked an excursion on my own in Mexico and it was wonderful.

you will really enjoy bringing walkie talkie for everyone to stay connected on board. I'm sorry for your loss. I will tell you that booking excursions onboard can get pretty pricey. One reputable place that I booked my Jamaica excursion through for a fraction of what the ship charges is:

http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/

you can book each stop with them. Get online and look around at what they offer and compare it to what you would pay on board for the same thing.

in cozumel, here is the one not offered on board or on Island Marketing. I booked this one. All you have to do is get off the boat and get a taxi (I rent a jeep) to take you to Mr.Sanchos. easy to do,cabs everywhere:

http://www.***********************/Tours/SanchosBeachBreak.htm

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm sure your head is spinning right now, but as others have said, take a deep breath and take it one step at a time. I think planning a cruise to get through your first Christmas without your DH is a wonderful idea. In fact, finances permitting, you might decide this is how you want to spend each holiday season from this year on. I would try to keep things as simple as possible and don't make yourself nuts trying to plan too much ahead. The only thing I would suggest is in Grand Cayman to do an excursion to Stingray City. I would avoid doing this with the cruiseline. It's overpriced and very crowded. I can highly recommend Captain Marvin.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/snorkeloverview.html

He runs a first class operation and you get very individualized attention. He's great with children and your kids will have a blast. It's absbolutely amazing! We've taken our four children there several times (they are all grown now), and they've always loved it.

And I agree with the others as well when they said make some time for yourself. Make yourself a spa appt. one day and send the kids to the Camp on the ship. We took a cruise about weeks after my brother passed away. I considered cancelling because I was grieving so, but we were taking our four kids and four of their friends, so cancelling would have been very disappointing for them. It was a different kind of vacation; not as jovial and upbeat as other vacations, but I was so glad we did it. It game me some time to get away and reflect on my loss.

Again, please know that we are all here for you and any questions you may have. You are very brave and I pray you and your children find peace and solace during this holiday season.

In Cozumel try going to Paradise Beach, its a $15 taxi ride each way and once you arrive they have nice loungers & umbrellas. They just ask that you order a drink or some food while using them. The food is actually pretty good and not that expensive, I think most tihings like the nachos are around $8. The kids will love the blow up water toys, snorkles & coconut tree they can climb, wristbands for this are $10. Its a nice clean place with nice bathrooms and you will see several others from your ship there.

Cayman = the Stingray City is great. You can find several tours on the ports of call boards and the typical tour is only $35-$40 pp. If you just want to see some of the island or go to 7 mile beach you can catch the bus for $2 per person instead of $4 pp for the taxi. The buses are really just extended vans & you have to walk across the street from the beach to catch them but they are great! plus you save a few $.

I do hope you have a great cruise and begin on your new journey with many wonderful new memories with your kids. In my opinion Cruising is the best deal out there for families, it makes for great memories.... Maybe you can even treat yourself to a massage while onboard.

stowels--

I did the same thing as you. My husband died in August of 1999. I worried about how we would get through Christmas (my children were 18, 17, 15, 14, and 11 at the time). I booked us on a cruise the week after Christmas. They still talk about that cruise.

You've received lots of great advice here. All I am adding to my confidence that you're making a great decision! Be sure to get some family pictures.

Carol

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone who HELPED me along the way...

I went on this cruise, and it really was a great thing to do.

I basically just shopped for stuff (using all your advice) and showed up.

I was actually kind of shocked that I made it.

It was great for my relationship with the kids -- they had an incredible time.

This was probably the easiest thing I have done -- just basically SHOWED UP... and everything was taken care of for me. I would definitely recommend this to anyone out there. I don't know if I'll take another cruise someday, but you all sure gave me the courage and the strength to know that i could do it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!!!

Stowels,

Very pleased to hear that you and your children had a wonderful time. If you have a moment, could you tell what surprised you the most. And if there is any advice you would give to to first timers and especially those traveling with children.

Feedback is very important here because I want to make sure, that what I say is accurate and helpful.

Thanks,

Archived