Applying for Passports

mompells

Hi - We sail out on 01/17/10. We have not sent in our application for our passports yet. Will we get them in time? We are going to the post office tomorrow with the forms all filled out and the original birth certificates. I'm a terrible procrastinator! (sp?) Anyone know the time frame that they are taking these days?

Applying for "original" Passports can often take longer than applying for "renewed' Passports. It's hard to determine a particular time frame, as your Passport applications are sent to particular cities which issue Passports. It's not necessarily done in your home town. My latest Passport was issued from Seattle, and I don't live anywhere there.

I believe it took about 3 weeks for us to get ours. The most important thing to make sure is that you have all the information correct on your form, plus the correct id's and certified birth certificates, otherwise that could slow you down. The holiday mail might slow things down too, but with your date of January on your form for your travel date, I would suspect that they might process it quick enough to get it to you.

Passport processing took 4 weeks in August, for me. Pay the extra to expedite prossessing, to be safe, given the holiday season.

There is the likelyhood many Gov't employees taking vacation time this time of the year. Skeleton crews working thru the New Year.

My husband and daughter both applied for passports in November and received them in 2-3 weeks. At that time, the passport website quoted a 6 week turnaround, so I was a bit worried (we have a Jan 2 sailing coming up). But they were both in hand before Thanksgiving. At this point, I wouldn't pay for expedited handling. I think you'll be fine.

I don't know if it was me I would not go for the Passports and stick with Birth Certificates at this late in the game...

I worry quite a bit and with everything out there to get the passports I always worry that I would not get the passport in time and then would be stuck without a birth certificate either then be up that creek with out that darn paddle...JMHO:rolleyes:

I don't know if it was me I would not go for the Passports and stick with Birth Certificates at this late in the game...

I worry quite a bit and with everything out there to get the passports I always worry that I would not get the passport in time and then would be stuck without a birth certificate either then be up that creek with out that darn paddle...JMHO:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure that if it gets close to your trip and you don't have them, you can call and pay to have them expedited (sp?). There are risks in traveling without a passport, and I don't think I'd do it, especially with kiddos involved. JMHO of course.

I got passports for my kids in July and it took 6 weeks. Me being a little anal retentive, I'd pay for expedited passports just to be sure. At this point if it does take 6 weeks, you are bumping up against your cruise and unless you have an extra certified birth certificate lying around, you may be watching your ship sail without you.

No way. Leaving the states without a passport in this day in age is not worth the risk, IMO.

Many BC's can be purchased online and delivered quickly, so I don't think lack of BC is a bigger risk than no passport.

My daughter applied for hers the weekend before Thanksgiving. They told her to expect it to arrive in 3-4 weeks. That SHOULD give you enough time, but I think I'd pay the extra to expedite delivery given your up against a tight deadline. We're in the holiday season with lots of government holidays. I would anticipate delays.

My daughter applied for hers the weekend before Thanksgiving. They told her to expect it to arrive in 3-4 weeks. That SHOULD give you enough time, but I think I'd pay the extra to expedite delivery given your up against a tight deadline. We're in the holiday season with lots of government holidays. I would anticipate delays.

I totally agree with you! Expedite is the only way to go at this point! You will definitely be paying MORE money, but it will be worth the peace of mind.

Archived