How many pesos???

freedomhoneymoon09

How much should we take with us for the three ports for a family of four? I have no clue? Just plan on taking a couple of cabs, light eating, snacks, light shopping?

We usually hit a ATM as soon as we arrive and take out about 3000 pesos every few days. Truly I think 3000 pesos should be enough and if you have any extra save them for your next trip to Mexico:)

Since we will be at Cabo for our first port and I understand there is an ATM right there I was planning on picking up some pesos for the rest of the trip. We have private tours planned and the tour operators have quoted us prices in USD. I have always tipped in USD - am I wrong in doing this?

also - I have never used an ATM for currency conversion. Should I take out a cash advance on my Visa or my debit card? I usually never carry my debit card as it is not as secure as credit. However, I have never taken out a cash advance on my credit card, either! Maybe I should just use my bank at home before I go....

I have always tipped in USD - am I wrong in doing this? Nothing wrong doing this

Maybe I should just use my bank at home before I go....

If you are planning on using pesos this is your best option. You will get a better rate and you will no have to be concerned about tracking down an ATM or exchange facility in port. Valley banks have plenty of pesos on hand. You will arrive prepared.

If you are planning on using pesos this is your best option. You will get a better rate and you will no have to be concerned about tracking down an ATM or exchange facility in port. Valley banks have plenty of pesos on hand. You will arrive prepared.

Wow my HSCB bank has always told me to use my debit card at ATMS for the best exchange rate. We always do this when in PV and yes the exchange rate is better using ATMS in the country you are visting then trying to exchange at your local bank. There is a $3.00 charge which gets reversed when we get home....weird huh??, what about just not charging it??

As far as PV is concerned there are ATMS EVERYWHERE :)

Sunny you are not wrong tipping in USD in Cabo at least, truly I don't know anything about cabo except I like it there on our cruise day, but the experts here always are a great wealth of information and if they say USD are good I believe them.

PV it is much harder for locals to exchange USD to pesos and they all use Pesos to live on, plus their day off is usually Sunday. That said, the tour companies fdo have USD accounts and using USD to pay for a tour is no problemo

The one thing I am going to do very soon is open another account and get a new debit card, this will be my holiday card to be used out of the country....this way I can put a set amount of spending money into it and not have the rest of my banking info in harms way. That said, touch wood, we have never been a victim of debit fraud anywhere.

Do NOT take a cash advance from your Visa card!!!!!

It is treated as a loan and you will pay HIGH percentage rates on it maybe around 22%!

Either use your ATM card to withdraw pesos, or easier still go to a Cambio(money exchange place) and just change money. They will show the rate of exchange.

When you withdraw from an ATM your bank will often charge a percentage fee (up to 3%)for using a foreign ATM.

The international exchange rate today is about 13 pesos(12.8 to be exact)The cambios won't give this because they have to make some money but your bank in the USA won't give it either for the same reason.

In Cabo, unless you're really going off the tourist path, dollars are totally common and expected, and no insult to the merchants. Cabo is more Americanized than Redondo Beach almost. Right outside the security area in both Mazatlan and PV was a money exchange booth. They were both without fees and offered very competative rates, 12.45 to 1 three weeks ago. However, even in both ports dollars were totally accepted by everyone, including small vendors. I got some pesos, but actually only used them in PV at Wal Mart and a restaurant at the dock area, and then only to get rid of them.

I have never changed US$ to Pesos while in Mexico. If something costs over US$10, I charge it. I may get an exchange of only 10 - 1 instead of 13 - 1 but we are really talking pennies in the difference. I've never had a problem using US$ with street vendors, in tipping or just buying a beer or two. To me, it just isn't worth the hassle in exchanging US$ to Pesos.

Quote: " I may get an exchange of only 10 - 1 instead of 13 - 1 but we are really talking pennies in the difference."

Actually, the difference on one US Dollar would be 30 cents! That's more than a few pennies but a LOSS of 30%. A good reason to use Pesos!

This is all good information.

I've talked with my bank, and they will sell me Pesos, and buy back any that I have left over when I return.

I've been watching the Peso for the last 2 months and have seen it go from 13.97 to 12.91 in the past few weeks.

I've considered buying Pesos now, but with nearly 4 months out on our trip, I am now wondering if it is even worthwhile.

I've really no idea just how much we will spend onshore in Mexico, so my thought right now is to just wait it out, and perhaps buy $100 or $200 worth, just before we depart.

Quote: " I may get an exchange of only 10 - 1 instead of 13 - 1 but we are really talking pennies in the difference."

Actually, the difference on one US Dollar would be 30 cents! That's more than a few pennies but a LOSS of 30%. A good reason to use Pesos!

Ha Ha - Yes, you are correct but in the over-all scheme of things: what the whole trip costs, etc, etc., it SEEMS like pennies. Paying 13.00 instead of $10.00 is my way of helping the local economy ;). As I said in a previous post, everything over $10 goes on a credit card and believe me, I doubt if I ever spend over $10 Total in cash/port. If I would, I probably still would not get pesos unless I just needed to get change and went to a bank ATM (which, as long as it is a bank ATM, I think offers the best deal for the convience.)

We usually hit a ATM as soon as we arrive and take out about 3000 pesos every few days. Truly I think 3000 pesos should be enough and if you have any extra save them for your next trip to Mexico:)

3000 Pesos is about $234 at today's exchange rate ($232 at yesterday's dollar!)

I suspect that my original idea was correct...buy $500 worth of Pesos now, and if I don't spend them all, sell them back to the bank when I return.

Everyone has a different point of view on this topic. We exchange the large USA bills we bring along in our cruise cabin safe, for small USA bills at the Purser's desk, on board the ship.

For a family of four, we would leave to visit each port with 30 $1 bills, 20 $5 bills, and $200 in tens and twenties. We purchase items and services with credit cards whenever possible. Easy, fast, FAST, no waiting for change FAST... on to the next port visit highlight.

Many here will argue "pesos only" and feel that an hour long wait at an ATM line is fun cruise port adventure (Gotta get a pic of the line at the Cabo ATM on the next visit).

Everyone has their own comfort level.

We carry plenty of small USA bills, pay quickly, no change, move on!

Okay, call me nervous. I've watched the dollar drop recently.

I just called my banker and ordered $500.00 worth of Pesos.

Today's exchange rate was 12.837p to the dollar.

I'll receive 6,418.57 Pesos. (Not until Monday, however!)

I'll post again in March, on how much my 6,418.57 Pesos are worth in dollars.

Everyone has a different point of view on this topic. We exchange the large USA bills we bring along in our cruise cabin safe, for small USA bills at the Purser's desk, on board the ship.

For a family of four, we would leave to visit each port with 30 $1 bills, 20 $5 bills, and $200 in tens and twenties. We purchase items and services with credit cards whenever possible. Easy, fast, FAST, no waiting for change FAST... on to the next port visit highlight.

Many here will argue "pesos only" and feel that an hour long wait at an ATM line is fun cruise port adventure (Gotta get a pic of the line at the Cabo ATM on the next visit).

Everyone has their own comfort level.

We carry plenty of small USA bills, pay quickly, no change, move on!

ROFL With all the ATMS on almost every street corner why would anyone want to wait in a hour long line up??? Just move onto the the next ATM.

Again for us it is a respect thing and the bonus of not having to have a 20-30 % charge added to the price because you used a foreign currancy.

Okay, call me nervous. I've watched the dollar drop recently.

I just called my banker and ordered $500.00 worth of Pesos.

Today's exchange rate was 12.837p to the dollar.

I'll receive 6,418.57 Pesos. (Not until Monday, however!)

I'll post again in March, on how much my 6,418.57 Pesos are worth in dollars.

Love it! One of the best reasons I have heard yet for buying pesos: the US$ is losing value so fast, it pays to invest in Mexican pesos. Buy plenty and hold 'em: pay for your next cruise with the profits.

In Cabo, $ seem to be preferred over pesos. In other ports, it is sometimes good to have some pesos--on a large purchase you do lose a lot with the 10 to one exchange usually used and you may need them for local buses. In my experience, though, you can usually get along without pesos. I would never use a credit card unless absolutely necessary in Mexico. Generally your entire card number and expiration date will appear on receipts so it is pretty easy for someone to get your card number. Also, your credit card company will probably add a 3% currency conversion charge to everything you purchase even though your receipt may be in dollars.

I plan on ordering Pesos from my bank a few weeks before we leave on our cruise. For those that have been & use Pesos, would it be best to order small, large or mixed denominations? Which usually would give us the least in coinage back in change...or should we not bother with change & let the vendors keep it? My bank says it will not buy back change. I am only ordering the minimal amount ($100). I plan on buying a few souveniers in each port but not a lot (HAVE to buy another hanging parrot, not real one, for my collection!LOL)

Thanks for any help & info!

I plan on ordering Pesos from my bank a few weeks before we leave on our cruise. For those that have been & use Pesos, would it be best to order small, large or mixed denominations? Which usually would give us the least in coinage back in change...or should we not bother with change & let the vendors keep it? My bank says it will not buy back change. I am only ordering the minimal amount ($100). I plan on buying a few souveniers in each port but not a lot (HAVE to buy another hanging parrot, not real one, for my collection!LOL)

Thanks for any help & info!

A 200 peso note is roughly equal to a US 20 dollar bill. I wouldn't get any bills bigger than 200 pesos. I suggest you not worry about what to do with your Mexican coins. They will all spend well in your last port.

A 200 peso note is roughly equal to a US 20 dollar bill. I wouldn't get any bills bigger than 200 pesos. I suggest you not worry about what to do with your Mexican coins. They will all spend well in your last port.

Thanks so much for the great advice! This will help me out when I place my order. I was thinking that if I have coin change left at my last port, I will give it to the children we meet. Good solution:)

Love it! One of the best reasons I have heard yet for buying pesos: the US$ is losing value so fast, it pays to invest in Mexican pesos. Buy plenty and hold 'em: pay for your next cruise with the profits.

I'm glad that I made your day. It pleasures me to amuse the smug.

I've made $6.00, so far...not enough for another cruise, but enough for 3 "free" beers in Cabo! ;)

Archived