Destiny engine problems..?? can they make it to Cozumel?

diviney87

hello,

I'm a little worried about Destiny's ongoing engine problems. Anyone recently been on it?..is it fixed now?..if not..does anyone have any info if it will be by Feb?..or can it make it all the way out to Cozumel if not fixed??...i really am looking forward to Key West and Cozumel. when i purchased the cruise..it was a port choice and not just random ship. Finger's CROSSED!!!!! :p

any help is appreciated!!!!

I too am booked on a Destiny Cruise soon (Jan 11) so I called Carnival to get to the bottom of this. When I called, I was under the impression the problems were ongoing as well. According to Carnival, this hasn't been an ongoing problem. I guess all the people commenting about missed ports were on the same cruise?

Anyway, they said the Destiny missed ports on only one cruise in November (due to mechanical problems) and hasn't missed any since. Again, this is according to the representative at Carnival I spoke to. They have occasionally missed ports in the past due to weather. I guess high winds can create problems if they are traveling directly into them. Sometimes the ship can't go fast enough to stay on schedule. These are isolated events though. This hardly ever happens.

Anyway, let's hope for the best!

According to Carnival, this hasn't been an ongoing problem. These are isolated events though. This hardly ever happens.

Carnival is the LAST place you should be asking if there is a problem with one of their ships. With the Destiny there have been 8 electrical, propulsion and tank (septic) issues since 2000. This ship has had an inordinate number of issues which have been clearly documented both on cruise critic and cruise junkie.

It makes me so angry when Carnival lies to people who make inquiries into these matters. Destiny is a ship to avoid at all costs until CCL drydocks and overhauls this very problematic ship.

I am off a B2B on the Destiny from Dec 5-14 and we had no problems and made all our ports on time. I did not notice any sewage smells, but we our cabin was on the lido deck if that makes a difference?? I was worried about the engine troubles, too. I would not book the Destiny again until she has been in permanently fixed in drydock.

I am off a B2B on the Destiny from Dec 5-14 and we had no problems and made all our ports on time. I did not notice any sewage smells, but we our cabin was on the lido deck if that makes a difference?? I was worried about the engine troubles, too. I would not book the Destiny again until she has been in permanently fixed in drydock.

You say there were no problems on your B2B but you wouldn't book again until after it was drydocked? That's a bit of a confusing statement... :confused:

Carnival is the LAST place you should be asking if there is a problem with one of their ships. With the Destiny there have been 8 electrical, propulsion and tank (septic) issues since 2000. This ship has had an inordinate number of issues which have been clearly documented both on cruise critic and cruise junkie.

So... That would be less than one electrical, propulsion, or tank issue per year? Sounds like a pretty good record to me. I'd get on! :)

What would you consider an "ordinate" amount?

You say there were no problems on your B2B but you wouldn't book again until after it was drydocked? That's a bit of a confusing statement... :confused:

drosphot, I can see how my post is misleading. From what I have heard the engine problems have been ongoing and have only received a "band-aid" fix. I am by no means an expert on this- I would just wait to book a future cruise on the Destiny until after the engines could get properly looked at/fixed during a drydock. I had the B2B cruise booked for a while before I heard about the problems and was very worried we would be going to the Bahamas multiple times instead of the planed ports!

No propulsion problems , but we did notice some sewage smells in the lower portions of the ship occasionally , one night in the lowest floor of the show room, and a couple of times in the dining room also. They did seem to be transient in nature , but they were there. We also did notice that at times the ventilation system in our room seemed to growl for a bit and then whimper at times too, first ship we've been on where this occurred.

I too am booked on a Destiny Cruise soon (Jan 11) so I called Carnival to get to the bottom of this. When I called, I was under the impression the problems were ongoing as well. According to Carnival, this hasn't been an ongoing problem. I guess all the people commenting about missed ports were on the same cruise?

We too just got off the Destiny Dec 10-14 cruise....don't call Carnival....they spin the issue.....however, she was "fixed" enough for us to make Key West and Cozumel...yeah! We too smelled some "sewer gas" types of odors occasionally at various locations on the ship....but it wasn't constant nor did it ruin any moment of the cruise. However, she has had propulsion/engine issues on 3 different events in 2009 alone that others have posted and documented on various sites...we sweated out getting to the planned ports. All in all, we found the ship to be in great condition, clean, and the service was wonderful. We had an excellent short cruise!

[ We had an excellent short cruise!

It's smart of CCL to only employ this ship on short cruises..easier to contain any issues that come up. And given the history of this ship and Mr. Arison's refusal to be honest with his passengers..this ship is one to avoid long term until Mr. Arison does the right thing and puts this ship into a proper drydock for a complete and total overhaul.

Anyway, they said the Destiny missed ports on only one cruise in November (due to mechanical problems) and hasn't missed any since. Again, this is according to the representative at Carnival I spoke to. They have occasionally missed ports in the past due to weather. I guess high winds can create problems if they are traveling directly into them. Sometimes the ship can't go fast enough to stay on schedule. These are isolated events though. This hardly ever happens.

Anyway, let's hope for the best!

There was a propulsion system failure on Sept 19, where the ship lost half of its power and the next cruise was modified for a shorter itinerary. There were first hand accounts of terrible vibration and noises again in the first week of October (but no missed ports). I personally was on the Nov 16 'Double Nassau Delight' where the ship was again under half propulsion and couldn't make Grand Turk, instead substituting a one-third additional day in Nassau. We did notice some occasional sewage smell issue in a couple of public areas, but not something we were terribly concerned about. The ship itself was quite good and we made the best of a less than ideal situation. I would not purposely book on the Destiny again until after its next drydock since we typically book on the reasonable expectation that we would make the scheduled ports. Please also note that I did call Carnival directly on three occasions leading up to our cruise, and each time was told that everything was just fine and that proper repairs had been undertaken. Whether they intentionally misled me or were themselves under the impression that it was properly fixed, I would only be speculating as to which.

Whether they intentionally misled me or were themselves under the impression that it was properly fixed, I would only be speculating as to which.

Based on the sheer number of issues which have averaged one a month now with the Destiny it is safe to say you were misled. Carnival is not the exception, every cruise line pushes the envelope with expensive repairs. But the Destiny is getting a great deal of press about her issues. CCL needs to withdraw this ship for an extensive and proper drydock to fix the issues which are begining to pile up.

I think the Destiny was in drydock about a year ago. We were on the Dec 10 sailing and no smells or vibrations unless one considers traveling companions--some are capable of creating both with a single action...............

Based on the sheer number of issues which have averaged one a month now with the Destiny it is safe to say you were misled. Carnival is not the exception, every cruise line pushes the envelope with expensive repairs. But the Destiny is getting a great deal of press about her issues. CCL needs to withdraw this ship for an extensive and proper drydock to fix the issues which are begining to pile up.

Would you please supply us all with all the "Press" articles you are refering to.....:confused:

No offense but it sounds like you work for a drydock repair company..

If Carnival really had major issues with their boats, I'm pretty sure that it would be taken care of as to not get any unnecessary bad publicity in these tough economic times..

No offense but it sounds like you work for a drydock repair company..

If Carnival really had major issues with their boats, I'm pretty sure that it would be taken care of as to not get any unnecessary bad publicity in these tough economic times..

No offense, but think again. Do some research and see just how much trouble the Destiny has had. Money is the exact reason they have not properly fixed this ship. They would lose too much if they put her in dry dock to properly fix this issue.

Archived