Killing time in Miami after cruise

Mr. Tricky

Looking for a cheap easy way to kill some time in Miami after our cruise. Our flight out of Mia is not untill 3 pm. We are getting back to port on a Saturday. Ive heard that it is not a good idea to try to walk to the Bayside marketplace from the POM. I will have my family of 5 with me so Im not sure that I want to walk across that bridge. We will also have luggage. I wouldnt mind Bayside if there is an easy way to get there. If I do, do they have a taxi stand so I can get to MIA or will I have to call?

Any other suggestions for how to kill a few hours would be helpfull. Im considering Bayside cause its right there.

Looking for a cheap easy way to kill some time in Miami after our cruise. Our flight out of Mia is not untill 3 pm. We are getting back to port on a Saturday. Ive heard that it is not a good idea to try to walk to the Bayside marketplace from the POM. I will have my family of 5 with me so Im not sure that I want to walk across that bridge. We will also have luggage. I wouldnt mind Bayside if there is an easy way to get there. If I do, do they have a taxi stand so I can get to MIA or will I have to call?

Any other suggestions for how to kill a few hours would be helpfull. Im considering Bayside cause its right there.

Your challenge is what to do with the luggage. You could take a cab(s) over to Bayside which is close by but you still have the luggage to deal with.

Keith

We did this last spring. Carnival has a program called luggage express; most cruise lines have similar programs - check with your line to see if they work with your airline. For $20 each Carnival transported our bags and checked them in with the airline, and checked us in for the flight and printed boarding passes. We put tags on our bags the night before returning to Miami, put them outside the door, and did not see them until we arrived back in DC. Best $20 I ever spent.:D

We cabbed to Bayside - I do not think that is a safe walk (and it was raining). Cab cost about $10 and we had no trouble finding a cab when we were ready to head for the airport. Only issue was that most of the shops did not open until 10 - so stay on the ship as long as you can. Good luck!:)

We had a similar situation and we hired a tour guide-not that expensive-he drove us through Miami and showed us the sites -then to Bayside to kill sometime and grab lunch then to the airport. By the time you add up the costs of cabs and luggage delivery a tour might be the ticket. Sorry I dont remember the name of the company. Good luck.

Ty for the info. I took a look at tours but they would be a bit pricey for the 5 of us. As it stands the cab to Bayside is at the top of my list. I will look into having my bag checked through to Rochester. We are light packers and will only have 1 large bag to check. We will tote our 1 or 2 carryons.

I also looked at water taxis as a way to sight see. It looks like they run out of Fort lauderdale. I think they go as far southas South Beach. I need to check the schedule and fares and see if that is an option.

Any other ideas?

Another option is to rent a car; I think both Hertz and Enterprise have downtown locations. Store your bags in the trunk, and hit Bayside or South Beach for lunch before dropping the car at MIA and catching your flight. Good luck!:)

We're looking ahead to the same issue in 3 weeks - family of five, hours to kill. Carnival is already transporting us to the airport. Couldn't we check in our bags, rent a car at the airport and return later for our flights? We will be schlepping around carry-ons too, so the taxi idea does not sound appealing. Has anyone been on a Miami Carnival post-cruise excursion?

We're looking ahead to the same issue in 3 weeks - family of five, hours to kill. Carnival is already transporting us to the airport. Couldn't we check in our bags, rent a car at the airport and return later for our flights? We will be schlepping around carry-ons too, so the taxi idea does not sound appealing. Has anyone been on a Miami Carnival post-cruise excursion?

We enjoyed the Everglades Tour. It is extremely "touristy", but we had fun. I would think that kids would especially enjoy seeing the gators.

I'd rent a car, throw the luggage in the trunk and head to South Beach.

You can have brunch outside at News Cafe and kill a few hours people watching then walk Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road Mall.

You can also do a self guided Deco Tour, you could shop, hit the beach, or a zillion other things.

Bayside would not be worth it to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted earlier on this thread. We ended up doing the Everglades tour through Carnival. It was interesting, but IMO not worth the money. The boat ride lasted about 15 minutes, and the alligator show about 15 minutes. We walked around a path viewing other alligators for a few minutes, but we were starving and headed for the little cafe. They were not equipped to handle the crowds, and after waiting about 30 minutes for some sandwiches, we ended up having to get a refund (and no food) because we ran out of time. Live and learn, next time I would find another tour of the area or rent a car.

You really don't have THAT much time. YOu need to be at the airport at 1:00. You'll be off the ship at 8:30.

Take a cruise tour, research a private tour company probably saving some, rent a car for the five hours. Those are your choices UNLESS you call the cruiseline and see if they offer the baggage option for your particular airline. Then just cab it to Bayside to blow some time.

Archived