Silver Spirit Preview, Monte Carlo - Barcelona

editor@cruisecritic

Actually I haven't gotten the luggage after all. Despite the comment at Delta's baggage service yesterday (that the bag was "downstairs in storage" and that it would be delivered to my office today), the Delta website says that it hasn't yet found my bag. So I was overly optimistic (well, I was naive in believing that the woman was telling the truth).

By the way, business class or coach, it doesn't matter. The airline still treats people horribly when there's something wrong. It's an equal opportunity offender.

I'm a Star Alliance and One World flier. Haven't flown with Delta in years, since I lived in Atlanta for a spell. And I have to say -- I will never, ever book a ticket on that airline. It's a mess. There was a story on MSNBC today about how police had to be called to the Delta terminal at JFK today because it was overwhelmed with angry people. I was there last night and saw the same thing. The airline has lost control.

Ok, am climbing off the ledge. When Silversea rebooked me, it sent me to Lufthansa (thank god) and despite all the issues in Europe with weather (and seeing tv photos of the situation at Frankfurt, where thousands were stranded last night, was no pleasure) at least it's handling things in a way that's professional.

I hope you all have a merry Christmas, great New Year, and I look forward to learning about Silversea from those of you who are cruising, you lucky sods!, over the holidays.

Thanks for the feedback and support....

Carolyn

Carolyn, no worries, thanks much for trying and glad you got your luggage back.

Merry Christmas.

Carolyn, I am so sorry you didn't make it. I write from my bed in Barcelona, anxiously awaiting boarding.

Steve Tucker had told us on the sales call that Seisin was only open at lunch for a group, but this seems upsetting since they are advertising bento boxes and such. They either need to open it or stop advertising it. I would much prefer it as a lunch venue.

This $25 a day spa charge is news to me, but I was half expecting it.

I wonder how much impression of Stars could be obtained on a non-rev two day cruise with a non-typical passenger mix, but it does sound interesting and not necessarily what people were expecting. What are the hours of this if one was to go pre-dinner?

Steve Tucker had told us on the sales call that Seisin was only open at lunch for a group, but this seems upsetting since they are advertising bento boxes and such. They either need to open it or stop advertising it. I would much prefer it as a lunch venue.

Agreed, should supply bento boxes for free. As for the "supper club", it will be better if it becomes a buffet restaurant in the style of Oceania (For those who like "real dinners", there are already the Main Restaurant, La Terrazza, La Champagne and Seisin, so lots of choices).

Agreed, should supply bento boxes for free. As for the "supper club", it will be better if it becomes a buffet restaurant in the style of Oceania (For those who like "real dinners", there are already the Main Restaurant, La Terrazza, La Champagne and Seisin, so lots of choices).

For me, I like the idea of a 'supper club' to get something lite. There were a few times that I didn't feel like a huge dinner and also didn't want to dine in my suite....the supper club would have been perfect.

Sorry to hear that Carolyn missed out. How disappointing!

Ship looks fabulous - thankx Colonel for posting that link.

Debbie, can't wait to read tomorrow your impressions. Enjoy!:)

Cheers

ging466

As for the "supper club", it will be better if it becomes a buffet restaurant in the style of Oceania (For those who like "real dinners", there are already the Main Restaurant, La Terrazza, La Champagne and Seisin, so lots of choices).

No it wouldn't. To have people continuously milling around trying to get their food while others are listening to the music and/or dancing would be a nightmare and completely ruin the atmosphere.

Most informative post on Web I have found about details of Spirit's dining below:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/blogs/cruise-lines/2009/12/on-board-silverseas-silver-spi.html

She is second journalist who was on board who mentions there is a 25% discount

for making reservations (Le Champagne and Seishin) on line. However, currently

only by going to Bon Voyage Gift link on SS website & at least two weeks prior

to sailing can u get the 25% discount for Le Champagne. Nothing yet on how

to get the discount for Seishin

Most informative post on Web I have found about details of Spirit's dining below:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/blogs/cruise-lines/2009/12/on-board-silverseas-silver-spi.html

She is second journalist who was on board who mentions there is a 25% discount

for making reservations (Le Champagne and Seishin) on line. However, currently

only by going to Bon Voyage Gift link on SS website & at least two weeks prior

to sailing can u get the 25% discount for Le Champagne. Nothing yet on how

to get the discount for Seishin

Wes,it does worry me a little why a luxury line would want to discount two restaurants by booking online,unless they do not think that they will get much business.A luxury line should keep prices high so they can offer a great product and not have to compromise.

Eric, good point tho, would prefer no reservation fees for specialty restaurants.

btw, here is a recent post by Avid Cruiser, "What's the Vibe?" on board the Spirit:

http://www.avidcruiser.com/blog/

Just to add my thanks for your assiduity in keeping us up-to-date with this info! It makes the waiting a bit easier:)

As always, Wes, great and very relevant posts. I am gobsmacked by the idea of "hiding" the TV's in the mirrors. A stroke of genius!! And the link to the photos was fascinating!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, and especially to those on board Silver Spirit as she heads out to sea...

Pete, Hambagahle, your very welcome...silverseablog just updated..more Spirit

photos...but can't wait for Debbie & Craig's posts and pics (with passengers in

the pics)

http://www.silverspiritblog.com/

ps..Craig had to look it up too..guess I'm just diligent cuz we're excited to board..but with Todd & Debbie,

Wil and you now on board..am going to chill out.

Completely agree with CASHIPman re: turning anything aboard a luxury ship into a buffet at night. Buffets is why God created deluxe and premium cruise lines.

The reports coming in so far are great. Makes me want to sail her asap.

Archived