Silver Spirit Preview, Monte Carlo - Barcelona

editor@cruisecritic

In that case, do shipyards have sales/marketing departments?

I can only assume they do, but I don't believe that a shipyard says, "Have I gotta a ship for you." The line says to various yards, "Here's what I want, how much will it cost me?" Again, what I know about how lines get ships built comes from a conversation with Stephen Payne.

But, as WriPro points out...this is Cruise Critic, not Shipyard Critic.

Now...it's my belief that this thread has gone off the rails so I won't be responding to posts that don't directly relate to the preview cruise and Carolyn's (what I hope are...) wonderful experiences aboard the Silver Spirit.

We heard from shipyard sources that the delay was financial and it's now rectified (with an assist, apparently, from three German banks). Nothing to do with the ship itself not being ready. But of course we'll be onboard this weekend and will tell you what we're seeing.

Carolyn

We merely respectfully responded to this post. We wish our editor bon voyage, and all the best.

Carolyn, I hope you made it. We are nipping at your heals, and it looks like several of us are trying to hit the Newark flight tomorrow afternoon. Sunny and beautiful here in Houston, so if Newark is taking us, we are all set. We have GOT to sail. Can't wait to see what you have to say.

Hello all

As Carolyn is still in transit and I left the ship this morning after a whirlwind visit, I thought I'd post a few impressions!

While the ship is finished and looking good, there are a few teething problems - my neighbour had no cold water in his suite last night and the power sockets in mine didn't work, so I was rushed off to another suite by my butler to dry my hair. They're trying hard to iron these issues out but anybody getting on in Barcelona should be prepared for a few small niggles.

All suites get a butler now but I couldn't really see what the butlers will do that a decent cabin steward/ess wouldn't. Mine offered to unpack my stuff (no thanks!) and very sweetly wanted take me on a tour of the ship but again, I declined, as he had 16 suites to look after.

Liked my suite (balcony suite on deck 8) very much - lovely chocolate marble and wood finishes in the bathroom. Bed harder than the bed on Oasis of the Seas (the last ship I was on). Two TVs, mysteriously hidden behind the mirror, which is quite neat as you can only see the screen when it's on. Drappier champagne - although they were serving prosecco in the bar 'for the press preview'.

Absolutely loved Stars, for after dinner drinks, not for eating. The atmosphere was really buzzing in there last night and the jazz singer was excellent. The menu is too fussy for me and there's nothing vegetarian at all - but I would certainly use the bar late at night. It'll be a good places for singles, too, as you can sit by the bar and listen to the piano.

Theatre had peculiar seating - all the seats are like double love seats, or made for very wide people. Decent enough acoustics and sightlines and another really good jazz singer but the seating felt strange - you're either alone in a massive seat or very close to your neighbour.

The spa seems quite small but is very pretty - big, attractive treatment rooms and a decent thermal suite with outdoor saltwater hot tub, heated stone recliners and various steam rooms/saunas. $25 a day is good value for this, I reckon, as it's inline with less luxurious ships.

Crew are very friendly and willing but need to build confidence, which will come. My companion complained about his lobster being undercooked and I had to reassure the waiter that we weren't angry with him personally - he seemed quite upset. Several have come from other Silversea ships - the sommelier in The Restaurant is from PAII and is excellent.

Overall first impression is how big the ship is - I don't think it'll have any problem absorbing the larger number of passengers. I wonder if lack of atmosphere in some of the bars in the evenings might be an issue, though, especially on cruises where guests are spending a lot of time dining in their suites.

Let's hope Carolyn arrives safely and soon to answer the many questions!

Sue Bryant

Contributing Editor, http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk

Actually, just thought of something else. Several of us looking at the show suites together agreed that we liked the Grand Suites much better than the Owner's Suites. As is the case on the smaller ships, they've got great entertaining space but more to the point, each Grand Suite (there are six) comes with a veranda suite as its second bedroom, while the Owner's Suites only come with a Vista.

Other things: Some of you were asking about Seishin. Looks like this will be very special and the fish looked amazing (although it's frozen, of course). Liked the look of Le Champagne very much as a small, intimate restaurant, whether or not you pay up for the full wine pairing menu. Also thought the Connoisseur's Corner (the cigar bar) had the right look and feel, with nice yacht pictures and the obligatory deep leather chairs.

Surprising things: the beauty salon can only take two for hair at any one time and is going to get really busy (apparently it's fully booked all day on Christmas day). The card room is bare - how about some pictures on the walls? The pool deck is lovely teak but deck 10 above is the fake stuff and it's already uneven - there were puddles when we walked around it.

I'll post more as and when it comes to me!

Sue, thanks for sharing all of this interesting information.

Interesting about the salon, particularly since this ship is going to be doing the world voyages which are quite different than the shorter ones in terms of demand for salon services.

Are you taking pictures that can be posted when you are back.

Keith

Hello all

As Carolyn is still in transit and I left the ship this morning after a whirlwind visit, I thought I'd post a few impressions!

All suites get a butler now ... as he had 16 suites to look after.

Theatre had peculiar seating - all the seats are like double love seats http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk

Thank you kindly for this informative and interesting report. With one butler for sixteen suites, our earlier guess that they have changed from one pair of cabin attendants for perhaps eight cabins to a single attendant for perhaps five cabins plus a butler for perhaps twenty cabins appear quite close to what happened. As for the theatre, it can only seat 60% of the passengers maximum, so what is the arrangement for the fire drill (can no longer be all "in camera") and would one couple fit one "love seat" by themselves?

Keith your welcome..some more timely (got the answers this morning) spirit info below:

here are some I spirit ? I sent the Expert Cruise (Anita Dunham-Potter)

who is onboard Spirit shortie now--Monaco to Barcelona cruise and her

answers.

1. What is the daily house champagne pour? As Sue Bryant noted in her earlier post, Drappier

2. Will Seishin offer lunch? No (But they will open it for a group if booked ahead of time)

3. How many laps on the jogging/walking track equal a mile? 9 laps=1 mile

4. How many computers for internet access will the computer room have? 7 terminals

5. Will the new School of the Chef (by Relais and Chateau) be offered on the maiden

crossing. No

6. fitness ctr & pool hours of operation? Varies by destination. Fitness center was open at 7 am this morning – did a 30-minute jog on the treadmill because it was raining outside.

7. What will be a typical Stars Supper Club menu? Stars music offered? The supper club is offering a ‘tasting menu’ that varies by destination – mostly Mediterranean cuisine. Again, as Sue noted in her earlier post, this is a place you would go before or after dinner to have a few snacks. The music is always jazz-themed. A singer works the room – love this place!!!

8. Procedure for making reservations in specialty restaurants once you board. Basically, you have to do this at each restaurant or you can have your butler do it.

Hi, guys. As you can see from my silence (and my post on flight delays), I've had a bit of trouble getting to the ship. In fact, I've missed it (have been trying to get there since Saturday night and am now stuck in Munich). So very glad for help from Sue and other bloggers who did make it onboard.

My effort to get onboard this ship, first in Nice, then aiming for Barcelona, were completely disappointing, a cauldron of flight cancellations, delays, cancellations, delays, delays and delays, but if anything else it's reminded me of this: Always try to give yourself some wiggle room when flying out to a cruise, any time of year.

Mind you I did have a little bit of wiggle room but clearly not enough!

Happy holidays and merry Christmas to all.

Carolyn

Archived