B2B on different ships...anyone done this?

jgirvine2

We did two b2b with different ships. The first was in 2007 where the first ship was the Radiance and the second was Westerdam. In 2008 we did Westerdam followed by the Solstice. The change required us to take a taxi to a different pier in Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale), but that was not a problem. At Port Everglades it would have been difficult to walk from one pier to the next.

Gerry

We have booked a 3 day on The Majesty, followed by a 5 on The Navigator. Anyone ever done this? I assume they use the same pier? Any comments or advice?

Thanks

I have done it once and it was also in Miami. I got off the Liberty of the Seas and boarded the Carnival Liberty. I went by car but I guess it would have been a 15 min walk max. In your case both are Royal Caribbean ships, so most probably the walk to the other ship (terminal) is less.

I know you are taking two consecutive cruises, but it sounds like you are defeating one of the puposes of a B2B; not having to pack up at the end of the first cruise. But it is your cruise, so enjoy yourself, you have earned that right. Good Sailing, Murf

Speaking for myself only, one benefit of doing a b2b is certainly not having to pack up at the end of the first cruise. However, the main benefit for us doing a b2b is not having to pay the airfare twice to get to the port. We changed ship because of the itinerary, and packing was only a minor thing for us. :)

I haven't done it, but when we went on the AOS we met a couple who had just gotten off a Princess (or was it Celebrity?) cruise.

I don't see how they could use the same pier....but hopefully, it's the same PORT!

Actually, the AOS and the other ship were docked back to back at the same pier (Pan American pier in SJ). This couple just wheeled their luggage off their ship, down the pier and into the terminal for the AOS.

I've done two different ships/cruiselines. Went from a DCL (Wonder) to RCCL (Freedom).

I prefer two different ships and different intineries than sailing on the same one. I like variety and the change of scenery.

We did the crasiest back-to-back ever! We already had a cruise booked on the Legend OTS out of Tampa. My husband's grandparents wanted to take all of their grandchildren on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, so they booked the Enchantment before our other cruise. We thought that we had a night in between cruises. We planned to rent a car, take our time driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa, spend the night in a nice hotel in Tampa, and then go on the second cruise. A few weeks before the cruise, we realized that the first cruise ended the same day the second cruise started. We had to rush off the first ship in the first group, take a taxi to the rental car place, drive quickly and without stopping to Tampa, drive through McDonald's for lunch instead of having a nice lunch, return the rental car in Tampa, and then take a taxi to the second ship. It was very stressful, but worth it in the end!

This time, we're doing a much more logical and stress-free back-to-back on two different ships. We're going on Oasis OTS on January 2-9, 2010, then we're going on Celebrity Solstice on January 10-17, 2010. (This trip is for our 10th anniversary.) At least they're both out of Ft. Lauderdale. And at least we have a night in between cruises. We'll stay with my husband's grandparents. We can do laundry, so we don't have to pack quite as much. Also, I think it will be nice to be on a different cruise line and have different meals and different shows for the second cruise. My husband hates back-to-backs on RCI because it is the same meals and the same shows both weeks. We've never been on Celebrity before, so everything will be new. Really looking forward to it!

We have also done a back-to-back on the same ship. We did this on Legend OTS out of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic in Janaury 2008. That was certainly the easiest because we didn't have to pack or move. But it was definitely the most duplicative in terms of meals and shows. Especially on a small old ship like Legend OTS with no specialty dining and very few activities. I don't think my husband would ever again to a back-to-back on the same ship for those reasons. However, the upshot was that we were seated at a table with all Brits. (Brits tend to usually do back-to-backs while Americans rarely do so.) We made lifelong friends. And we had a wonderful trip to England to visit our new friends the following summer. We're now planning for them to come visit us.

We did b2b many years ago on Royal Caribbean with a one night lay over in Miami between cruises. The combination was one week eastern Caribbean and one week western. RCI put us up in the Hyatt between cruises with no charge and gave us a good upgrade for the second week. On our lay over day we hauled our dirty cloths to a laundromat. I guess b2b's were less common then (about 20 years ago).

On a Princess cruise earlier this year we met a couple doing a b2b2b2b which was a combination of Carnival, Princess, HAL, Princess, all out of Fort Lauderdale. They made Princess the every second cruise because they got free laundry on Princess.

We did the crasiest back-to-back ever! We already had a cruise booked on the Legend OTS out of Tampa. My husband's grandparents wanted to take all of their grandchildren on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, so they booked the Enchantment before our other cruise. We thought that we had a night in between cruises. We planned to rent a car, take our time driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa, spend the night in a nice hotel in Tampa, and then go on the second cruise. A few weeks before the cruise, we realized that the first cruise ended the same day the second cruise started. We had to rush off the first ship in the first group, take a taxi to the rental car place, drive quickly and without stopping to Tampa, drive through McDonald's for lunch instead of having a nice lunch, return the rental car in Tampa, and then take a taxi to the second ship. It was very stressful, but worth it in the end!

This time, we're doing a much more logical and stress-free back-to-back on two different ships. We're going on Oasis OTS on January 2-9, 2010, then we're going on Celebrity Solstice on January 10-17, 2010. (This trip is for our 10th anniversary.) At least they're both out of Ft. Lauderdale. And at least we have a night in between cruises. We'll stay with my husband's grandparents. We can do laundry, so we don't have to pack quite as much. Also, I think it will be nice to be on a different cruise line and have different meals and different shows for the second cruise. My husband hates back-to-backs on RCI because it is the same meals and the same shows both weeks. We've never been on Celebrity before, so everything will be new. Really looking forward to it!

We have also done a back-to-back on the same ship. We did this on Legend OTS out of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic in Janaury 2008. That was certainly the easiest because we didn't have to pack or move. But it was definitely the most duplicative in terms of meals and shows. Especially on a small old ship like Legend OTS with no specialty dining and very few activities. I don't think my husband would ever again to a back-to-back on the same ship for those reasons. However, the upshot was that we were seated at a table with all Brits. (Brits tend to usually do back-to-backs while Americans rarely do so.) We made lifelong friends. And we had a wonderful trip to England to visit our new friends the following summer. We're now planning for them to come visit us.

I also did the same. Got off the Nordic Empress in Tampa, hopped in the car and drove to Miami to get right onboard the Radiance.

We have booked a 3 day on The Majesty, followed by a 5 on The Navigator. Anyone ever done this? I assume they use the same pier? Any comments or advice?

Thanks

We cruised the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral on a five day, then went over to the Glory (docked nearby) for a seven day cruise. It worked out great. We had a wonderful time and got to visit the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands!:)

I'll be doing a b2b next month so I can't tell you what it was like till mid. Feb. but I can tell you I'm looking forward to it. Get off the Indy in FLL, hop into a rental car & drive up to Canaveral, check into the hotel, hit the laundry mat, meet up with some new friends from CC and have a few drinks, :D(if there's any money left) go to bed and wake up the next morning and board Freedom!! :cool:

One week goes by too fast!!!

Thanks

We did this last March/April on two different CRUISE LINES and two different PORTS. We went on Celebrity out of Ft. Lauderdale for 10 nights, and then the Majesty out of Miami for 4 nights.

We had a wonderful time!! We used SAS transportation, because they will match you up with other pick-ups at both ports and airports, so you get where you need to go for $15 each. Worked great.

I haven't done it, but when we went on the AOS we met a couple who had just gotten off a Princess (or was it Celebrity?) cruise.

Actually, the AOS and the other ship were docked back to back at the same pier (Pan American pier in SJ). This couple just wheeled their luggage off their ship, down the pier and into the terminal for the AOS.

We did that very same B2B in November 2008. First on AOS, and then we walked over to the Caribbean Princess for the second leg. Why? We wanted to compare the two ships. In March 2010, we are doing another B2B, but this time only on AOS. Get the picture.

We've done several B2B on different ships. We love it. One airfare, but two different experiences. Different foods, entertainment, itinerary.

Last year we did a B2B in San Juan with the Serenade of the Seas and the Celebrity Summit. The ships were docked side by side, and the Summit people led us off the ship and over to the Serenade to get our new card. We were on the Serenade an hour before anyone else, and they had a fancy lunch prepared for us and several others in their premium restaurant. Worked out great.

Another time we B2B'd with a Princess ship and the Adventure of the Seas in San Juan. And next month we're B2B with the Carnival Conquest and Voyager of the Seas in Galveston.

We're doing a B2B on two different ships beginning this Saturday! We're doing a 2 nighter on Majesty out of Miami and then NAvigator for New Years (5 nights). VERY excited! I think these B2B's on different ships are much easier in Miami than most ports because the RCCL ships dock end to end. Can't wait!! NEED TO PACK!

Archived