Bringing wine on board

yenta

Last time I cruised with my parents, we hosted a sailaway party and brought 3 cases aboard. Since we drove to the port, we also brought our own hand truck to carry them.

Not a blink or a whisper from security/management, although several passengers asked our room number and the party time :).

Some people bring a case (or 2) and let the porters get it on the ship.

But if you are bringing on only a few bottles, take it on yourself.

Last cruise we handed over a case to the proters and found it in the bathtub with one bottle broken. There's always that risk. :) Also, one bottle of wine was bad - and we were a bit far away from Total Wines to return it. We ended up enjoying 10 of 12 bottles, not so sure if I would bother with a case again unless I carry it myself or just buy it on board :)

Oh man, I really wanna cruise with you :D

Y'know, we really do have to do that. :D:D Just remember we usually do Fort Lauderdale departures...which are such a pain for you to fly in for, but we drive to (especially if we're already snowbirding in Florida!)

Y'know, we really do have to do that. :D:D Just remember we usually do Fort Lauderdale departures...which are such a pain for you to fly in for, but we drive to (especially if we're already snowbirding in Florida!)

Well I guess we'll have to see just how smitten we are with the Caribbean :) Or you might want to do another Alaska cruise? :) Or the 10-day Sea of Cortez in Feb/11.... see, there are possibilities!

Bring wine on board is nice. Flying with wine is not so nice.

We opted this time for a wine card: 20 punches cost about $77 with tip included so that's under $4 per glass and they have a nice assortment of house wines to chose from - at least I thought so and enjoyed them... if you're very particular bring your own or select from the wine list, which I think is pretty pricy.

I found that the wines offered by the glass were not good. I did bring wine to the Pinnacle and paid the corkage fee,but they did nothing but open the bottle. It was white wine and needed to be chilled. This should have been part of the corkage fee...on Celebrity the wine was put into "quick" coolers and served at proper temperature. I have no problem paying the fee but the wine should be properly served.

P.S. If someone says that I should have brought the wine chilled, my cabin steward did not bring me a champagne bucket with ice even after 2 requests... That's another story.

On the Maasdam a woman in front of me was stopped when she was bringing a bottle of rum on board in Guatemala. The security screen stopped her and directed her to take the bottle over to a side table where they would keep it until she disembarked.

This was the first time ever I've seen that done on HAL.

Is wine treated differently then liquor?

Is wine treated differently then liquor?

Yes. Wine is allowed, both at embarkation, and at subsequent ports. Hard liquor and beer are not allowed (although there have been times they have been passed through at ports).

We've frequently stopped at the liquor store in FLL before boarding and picked up a few bottles of our favorite wines to have before dinner or when feeling like a glass of wine, but not necessarily like going to the bar. I really appreciate HAL's policy on this practice.

Archived