Virgin Gorda

Rauld

We will be stopping at this point and do want to go to the Baths. Can anyone recommend a good agent on the island? One that you have used?

Also, what else should we not miss on this stop. We will be there from 8-5

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you're docking at Tortola...Get off the ship and it's a bit of a walk or a very short cab ride over to the ferry dock. http://www.speedysbvi.com/ is their website so you can plan your ferry times.

Once you dock on virgin gorda, they'll take you by bus over to the other side of the island. You'll hike down a path to one of the most interesting places in the Caribbean. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely the most amazing place!! once you have done the walk down to the beach make sure you go to the left.. Most head to the beach they can see in front of them.. It's a wonderful trail involves some ducking ,twisting and turning and up and down over bolders with the use of ropes and steps.. You won't be dissappointed..

Should add, don't stop at the first baths you come to after going through the rock formation caves... Enjoy them and then continue on and you'll come to a lovely beach.. I felt like I was a James Bond film set, it was absolutely picture perfect.

If you actually dock in Virgin Gorda, you can take a safari bus (shared taxi) to the Baths for $3-5 per person depending upon how many people you have. However, you'll probably need to get at least 3 or 4 people together to go - I wanted to go alone, but had to wait around a little bit until one of the safari bus drivers took pity on me and agreed to take me solo. If you are tendered to where we were tendered on Oceania (right in the middle of the harbor), you can walk behind the buildings and look for a bus, or walk toward the road and try to flag one down. Coming back should be no problem (assuming you allow plenty of time just in case) as there are buses waiting at the top of the baths. '

If you see a large red flag on the beach at Devils Bay (the beach you get to after walking through the "maze") it means the water is too rough to go in. Someone on our cruise ship went in when a yellow flag was up and had a little accident, so be careful.

Definitely go through the maze - very worthwhile. Some folks simply walked down to the maze part, or simply walked from the parking lot to Devils Bay but didn't go through the maze. They sure missed a lot of fun! Don't expect to have the place to yourself, however - it was very crowded!! I have to admit that I wondered why people would spend their day at Tortola by taking a ferry over to VG for the Baths, but I have to admit it was a very cool place!

• 3 weeks later...

Once your done enjoying the Baths, head to the top of the hill where you entered and grab a wonderful tropical drink at the Top of the Baths Restaurant/Bar. The views from the outdoor terrace deck are awesome.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147358-d1046077-Reviews-Top_of_the_Baths-Virgin_Gorda_British_Virgin_Islands.html

• 8 months later...

We did the jeep tour in January 2010. The other participants wanted to drive their own jeep, but we stayed with the driver/guide which turned out great because it was like having a private guide. We stopped for photos and explanations along the way.

It's not offroading and most of the road had been newly paved before we came. We drove around the entire island and ended up a the Baths from where the driver picked us up again at the prearranged time.

The Baths were very crowded.

• 2 months later...

The Oceania Regatta will be tendering us there on March 5 and we arrive at 8:00am. I will be sure to hustle off and head straight to the Baths first thing before the mobs arrive from Tortola on the ferries. Thanks for the tip.

• 1 month later...

We are booked on O for next year.Trying to get organized.

If you don't mind Please contact me at info@thepurplesage.com so I can ask some questions.

Thank You

If you actually dock in Virgin Gorda, you can take a safari bus (shared taxi) to the Baths for $3-5 per person depending upon how many people you have. However, you'll probably need to get at least 3 or 4 people together to go - I wanted to go alone, but had to wait around a little bit until one of the safari bus drivers took pity on me and agreed to take me solo. If you are tendered to where we were tendered on Oceania (right in the middle of the harbor), you can walk behind the buildings and look for a bus, or walk toward the road and try to flag one down. Coming back should be no problem (assuming you allow plenty of time just in case) as there are buses waiting at the top of the baths. '

If you see a large red flag on the beach at Devils Bay (the beach you get to after walking through the "maze") it means the water is too rough to go in. Someone on our cruise ship went in when a yellow flag was up and had a little accident, so be careful.

Definitely go through the maze - very worthwhile. Some folks simply walked down to the maze part, or simply walked from the parking lot to Devils Bay but didn't go through the maze. They sure missed a lot of fun! Don't expect to have the place to yourself, however - it was very crowded!! I have to admit that I wondered why people would spend their day at Tortola by taking a ferry over to VG for the Baths, but I have to admit it was a very cool place!

We are booked on O for next year.Trying to get organized.

If you don't mind Please contact me at info@thepurplesage.com so I can ask some questions.

Thank You

It might be helpful to others planning a day at Virgin Gorda for your questions to be answered here on the boards? You never know who might need the same information! Just a sugggestion.....

• 5 months later...
It might be helpful to others planning a day at Virgin Gorda for your questions to be answered here on the boards? You never know who might need the same information! Just a sugggestion.....

Going to Totolla next Jan and plan on taking the ferry over to the baths-we leave Tortolla at 3p so will need to be back on the ship by 2-will that allow enough time to get over/back if we are off the ship early. I read water shoes are advised. What did you do with back packs, etc.

I would take ship tour to ensure that you get back on time; there have been some very "close calls" unless you can arrange a ferry back that allows for more than usual time; sometimes they wait for latecomers...

There are lockers (don't remember how many) at the beach where you enter the "maze"; you can get a key from the bar I believe but don't remember how much it was.

• 1 month later...
Going to Totolla next Jan and plan on taking the ferry over to the baths-we leave Tortolla at 3p so will need to be back on the ship by 2-will that allow enough time to get over/back if we are off the ship early. I read water shoes are advised. What did you do with back packs, etc.

Leaving Tortolla at 3:00pm is going to make for a short stay on V Gorda the way the ferry service is timed, operating every 1½hr & some times 2hrs.

http://www.speedysbvi.com/schedules.php?weekday=Monday

When I went I was lazy and didn't catch the first ferry over so it was approaching noon when we got to the Baths, but our ship departed later at 5:30pm.

Give yourself 10mins in taxi from ship to ferry terminal, 30mins crossing,taxi from dock on Gorda to entrance of 'Baths' 15mins, climb down & over boulders to first beach with bar 20mins (and usually as far as lots call it enough or are unaware of the real 'Baths' beyond).

If your going on turn left http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/swoggy/Christmas%20Vacation%202010/2nd%20film/IMGP1623Entertherockformations_Med.jpg and this is where rubber diving type shoes will help in all the clambering up, over and down the rocks through shallow pools with the sea washing in, at places there are wooden steps or ropes to haul yourselves up the rocks 30-45mins depending on fitness or age.Eventually you will come across one of the best beaches peaceful due to its isolation, you can swim and admire the big yachts that have moored up off shore before sadly beginning the journey back but all worth it for something you never see anywhere else.

This time I wont be wearing just loose sandals for the climbing:o

Even tho it's a bit more costwise the ship tour we were on used it's own ferry over to the Baths, we had about 3 hrs there and then back to ship on time.. It was just less hassle and it's really not a 'tour', just transportation that, if something goes wrong, won't result in you missing the "big boat"... just my opinion if you have a short port call leaving at 3:00

Even tho it's a bit more costwise the ship tour we were on used it's own ferry over to the Baths, we had about 3 hrs there and then back to ship on time.. It was just less hassle and it's really not a 'tour', just transportation that, if something goes wrong, won't result in you missing the "big boat"... just my opinion if you have a short port call leaving at 3:00

Yes! Agree with you, knowing your cruise company has the responsibility especially with the ferry crossing (which can be affected by the sea conditions:eek:), so would have to hold sailing would be a weight off your mind:) - worth more than saving $30.

Archived