Livorno from cruise terminal to train station - How, where, how much?

CTCruisers

When we get to Livorno, we want to take the train to Pisa.

How do we get to the train station?

I have read about a shuttle? Where does it take you?

Most likely, we will take a bus to get to the train station. Which bus will take us there?

Where do you buy tickets?

Coming back, how do we get back to the terminal? Is it a different bus number?

Is there an information booth at the cruise terminal?

Is there an english map of the Livorno bus system?

Any info would be appreciated.

Time is generally of the essence in getting to Florence, as it is quite a distance from the port. The best advice I can give is to grab a cab from the ship to the train station. The cost is about 20 euro; if you can find another couple to share the cost, it's about the same price per person as the ship's shuttle, which still drops you a fair distance from the train station.

Edited to add: Oops, I see you said that you're headed to Pisa, but I'd still recommend getting a cab to the station as the fastest and easiest. Usually it's pretty easy to find someone willing to share the cab.

Someone sent my some great links for Livorno:

http://www.livornonow.com/see_livorno_by_local_bus

The main railway station is called Livorno Centrale.

http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-460726-1-1-Travel-0-0-Livorno-discussion.html

From I have read there is a shuttle bus that will bring you to Piazza Grande (near City Hall) from there you can catch a bus to other parts of the city.

http://www.portauthority.li.it/sitohtml/cruise.htm

I agree with Cynthia, after painful experience doing it the other way.

We took the ship (NCL) shuttle to Piazza Grande (at a cost of $5 per person, round trip), bought our public bus tickets there ($1 per person, each way) and walked the one block to the stop along with the entire busload of cruisers. When the public bus arrived, it was a fight (almost literally) to push on the already crowded bus.

Everyone then crowded into the train station together, making for long lines at both the ticket windows and the self service machines. As a result, all but the first couple of folks missed the first train.

Lesson learned was take the taxi directly from the ship. It was a false economy to use the bus to the bus to the train option; it cost far too much in time, the most precious commodity on a port day.

We found it very easy to find another couple to share a cab with to the train station. When we got off the ship we just asked anyone who was not going to the ship shuttle bus if they wanted to share a cab to the station. On the way back we looked for people at the train station who might be cruisers. As we walked along the track for the Livorno train looking for someone that looked like a cruiser a young couple actually aproached us and asked if we were going to the port. ( We were both wearing shorts:)) We sat near eachother and grabed a cab back to the ship.

We were there in November and went to Pisa and Lucca by train. With the help of these boards, it was very easy.

We got off the ship after the main crowd since we were not going to Florence (they want to catch the earliest train that they can). Found another couple that was going to the train station and shared a taxi (20 euros total or 10 per couple). Bought our tickets, validated them and caught the train to Pisa Centrale about 8:40 am. It is a 20 minute ride to Pisa. Got off, walked out of the train station, and took a taxi to the Leaning Tower (~5.5 euros). Later walked to Pisa San Rossore station and caught the train to Lucca. After lunch in Lucca took the train back to Pisa Centrale and switched to the Livorno train. At Livorno, we caught a taxi with 6 other people back to the ship (5 euros/couple). I think the train ticket to Lucca was 9.5 euros round trip.

Very easy and enjoyable day. I particularly enjoyed climbing the tower.

I think that the easiest method is to pair up with others at the port and grab a taxi to Livorno Centrale. Will probably cost about 5 Euro PP. More than the shuttle/citybus (maybe) but well worh it. You won't have problems finding others if you are vocal.

We've done it both ways and the above is by far the best!

We got off the ship after the main crowd since we were not going to Florence (they want to catch the earliest train that they can).

That is why we decided not to try going to Florence. We wanted to get up and leisurely get off the ship and to the train station to spend a few hours exploring Pisa.

I had read that getting a cab from the ship might be daunting with everyone wanting to do the same thing at the same time. So I just wanted to know our options to get from the ship to the train station.

I am also checking out things to see in Livorno itself.

That is why we decided not to try going to Florence. We wanted to get up and leisurely get off the ship and to the train station to spend a few hours exploring Pisa.

I had read that getting a cab from the ship might be daunting with everyone wanting to do the same thing at the same time. So I just wanted to know our options to get from the ship to the train station.

I am also checking out things to see in Livorno itself.

Another variable is where ship docks. When we were there in Sep 09 NCL Jade docked in the container section of the port. Couple of cabs showed up but I think they were more interested in daily hire rather than going to train station. The choice is to wait for more cabs or take shuttle. In off season ships might dock closer to town (where ferries are) and the cab situation might be better there. Also there are few cabs to go back from the train station to the ship in the afternoon.

We managed to see both Lucca and Pisa on the same day and were very impressed with Lucca. There is really not that much in Pisa beside the tower so both towns are doable. On the way back from Lucca you can get off at the station just prior to Pisa Centrale and walk to the tower in couple of minutes. You'll see the tower from the train window on approach. Walk from tower to Pisa Centrale is about 20-25 min; there is also a bus.

There is really not that much in Pisa beside the tower

I think that's a bit of overstatement, there is actually quite a lot to see in Pisa but many tourists miss it.

In the Piazza dei Miracoli alone there are the Baptistry, the Duomo and the museum of the Duomo, which is excellent. They have several huge, rare illustrated gospels and lots of other interesting exhibits. There is also the Siniope museum of medieval graphics.

Piazza dei Miracoli web site: http://piazza.opapisa.it/index_swf.asp?Mod=client&Lang=ENG

Here's a link to a great article, written in English by a Pisa native, about things to see and do there: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/pisa/index.htm

I think that's a bit of overstatement, there is actually quite a lot to see in Pisa but many tourists miss it.

In the Piazza dei Miracoli alone there are the Baptistry, the Duomo and the museum of the Duomo, which is excellent. They have several huge, rare illustrated gospels and lots of other interesting exhibits. There is also the Siniope museum of medieval graphics.

Piazza dei Miracoli web site: http://piazza.opapisa.it/index_swf.asp?Mod=client&Lang=ENG

Here's a link to a great article, written in English by a Pisa native, about things to see and do there: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/pisa/index.htm

That is why we plan just to visit Pisa that day on our cruise. We want to spend the afternoon leisurely checking out the various sites around the city before heading back to Livorno. I have been reading about all of what Pisa has to offer. We are looking forward to the trip.

I also took at cab to the train station and had no problem getting the "first" train available.

Lines form early, and it's an advantage to be ready to go. Just ask people in line, if anyone is needing a cab to the train station. Then get your cab. As mentioned, it's 20 euros, but, people in out train car, who just made the train, claimed they were charged 30euro?? Verify the rates before, and add in tip. Same upon return, hook up with cruiseship returning passengers. :)

I easily did Florence and had an excellent day. Did not get into any museums, but was my plan anyway. Wonderful walking tour city, easy to to have great sightseeing opportunities.

Head to your library and review Italy touring books, Rick Steve's and Eyewitness Guide were especially helpful to my priorities. Fodor's and Frommer's are also detailed guides.

I am with the others in recommending a cab! We got off the ship and could not find them so we ended up on the shuttle. $5 times 3 and then it dropped us off a block off the main bus square in what felt like the middle of nowhere! About 10 of us stood there trying to figure out where we were and then finally just started walking. We found the bus, found out we had to buy a ticket at the small magazine shop on the corners, then back to the bus where we were pushed and shoved.. and when we finally reached the train station, we missed the 8:10am train we REALLY needed to catch to not miss museum reservations. The train ride was a breeze and Florence a beautiful, walkable city. The return train ride was easy but then we were back to trying to catch a bus...only to get bumped off several due to crowds. We ended up on another that took us on a somewhat "unflattering" tour of Livorno and finally got us back to the bus terminal. Then after another 10 min of trying to find that spot where the shuttle dropped us off that morning...we found it!!! It was easy to spot once we saw the 50+ people crowded on the street. One shuttle finally arrived and everyone was so desperate that we crowded on with some literally hanging from the side trying not to get left behind. So again...CAB!!!

I am with the others in recommending a cab! We got off the ship and could not find them so we ended up on the shuttle. $5 times 3 and then it dropped us off a block off the main bus square in what felt like the middle of nowhere! About 10 of us stood there trying to figure out where we were and then finally just started walking. We found the bus, found out we had to buy a ticket at the small magazine shop on the corners, then back to the bus where we were pushed and shoved.. and when we finally reached the train station, we missed the 8:10am train we REALLY needed to catch to not miss museum reservations. The train ride was a breeze and Florence a beautiful, walkable city. The return train ride was easy but then we were back to trying to catch a bus...only to get bumped off several due to crowds. We ended up on another that took us on a somewhat "unflattering" tour of Livorno and finally got us back to the bus terminal. Then after another 10 min of trying to find that spot where the shuttle dropped us off that morning...we found it!!! It was easy to spot once we saw the 50+ people crowded on the street. One shuttle finally arrived and everyone was so desperate that we crowded on with some literally hanging from the side trying not to get left behind. So again...CAB!!!

Take a cab - I totally agree!

I laughed and laughed as I read your trip encounter in Livorno. It brought back so many memories. I lived in the are for three years and it reminded me of so many been there - done that episodes. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

On the lighter side, bus travel in Italy does get easier as you get used to it. Certain times of the day the push-shove-crowd thing never does.

Going to the train - take a cab. 5 euro per person is worth it. Coming back, if you've got time, take the bus and shuttle. Interesting and educational too!

I'd heard that the taxis waiting at the cruise terminal were only intersted in day trips and finding one just to take you to the train station was very difficult, and the drivers were very unhappy to just take you there. Is this not the case, cos we were thinking of catching the shuttle bus, but a taxi would be a lot easier. We are only going to Pisa and not Florence, so not setting of very early

Martin

I'd heard that the taxis waiting at the cruise terminal were only intersted in day trips and finding one just to take you to the train station was very difficult, and the drivers were very unhappy to just take you there. Is this not the case, cos we were thinking of catching the shuttle bus, but a taxi would be a lot easier. We are only going to Pisa and not Florence, so not setting of very early

Martin

If you're early off the ship, they can easily take you to the train station and get back in time to try for an all-day fare.

Also at 20 euro for a relatively short trip, I think you'll find some are willing.

Archived