Celebrity Banishes Catholic Chaplains from Cruise Ships

Tamburlaine69

This is to address to those who enjoy the Priest on board program, others who do not or wish to be caustic or hateful, would you start another discussion with your like minded folks. If they stopped selling drinks on board, I would likely not comment on that discussion point, as drinking is not a major motivation for me or a reason I cruise.

My reflections regarding the ceasing of allowing a priest to be a part of the provided ship staff, I am totally against it.

I believe from a Business decision this is an error of judgment but the cruise line:

The priest supports and comforts the crew and passengers, who wish this option, Catholic and non-Catholic, in proving counseling, comfort and yes religion.

• The priest have, at times, has been the only social means for an abused (real or perceived) crew member to contact the outside world. The priest provides help in arranging travel and/or communications home, when the crew members {I am not talking about the officers and often seen support staff} have family, discipline issues, illness, or deaths while on board. I have seen this and I know this first hand.
    • The priest provides for the religious needs of a large portion of the crew, who away from home for months and months, seek to maintain their religion.
    • The priest provides guidance and counseling for illness and deaths at sea. One cruise had a suicide and two natural cause deaths, where the families on board were provided the comfort and guidance needed to assist in addressing the deaths.

[*]The priest does other religious services for non-Catholics.

• OK this is not the primary reason for the priest, but none-the-less a fact, I have attended more than one service where the priest was conducing a Christian Services; if fact, one service had a Baptists Deacon concelebrated this service and it was spiritually moving for everyone in attendance, as I witness it. (Catholics typically can not sing well and Protestants seems better equipped and upbeat with their singing.)

[*]The priest on board provides additional revenue to the cruise lines

• My wife and I consider the priest on board as one of two primary reasons we cruise.
    • We have cruised with other friends and neighbors, who feel the same about having Mass on board.
    • Often we see from 20 to 60 passengers at daily Mass, so it is rational to believe, others also value the on board Mass. (We have gone to paid lectors on board, who have attracted a smaller audience).
    • The weekly, at a minimum Mass obligation, need, or desire, has over filled the theater the majority of times. Yes, we are elite members and have some thirty plus cruises with Celebrity alone.
    • I counted on this provided service when I booked my two 2010 cruises.
    • I have provided more than one Priest a trip on Celebrity or RCI, (not a part of the priest on board program) as I know they would be proved a relaxing vacation and if he desires a place to worship at Mass daily.

• The priest cost is minimal to the cruise line.
    • Celebrity the three meals a day and the stateroom, the priest is not paid.
    • The Priest pays his own airfare to and from the ship.
    • Often cruise lines give a free stateroom if a TA books 10 staterooms, thus free staterooms is an industry norm.

Thank you for allowing me to detail my disapproval of this policy change and I pray for a reversal.

Peace.

Until there is a mandate that all passengers, regardless of religion, must attend Catholic Mass (which would be absurd and never happen), then this issue does not involve any of you who are not practicing Catholics.

Just curious but those rooms and the food that the Catholic priests eat while on board, who is it that pays for it? My guess is it is ALL passengers aboard subsidizing this, not just the Catholics. Therefore this issue does involve all passengers.

If Catholics would like a priest aboard, may I suggest that they gather together and personally pay the way for the priest as opposed to making everyone subsidize a religious service that only a small percentage use.

Would you as a Catholic be upset if Celebrity provided a Muslim priest on your next cruise as opposed to a Catholic Priest? If not, how can you state that this issue doesn't involve anyone but practicing Catholics? Do other religions not have obligations as well?

From the Celebrity website:spacer.gifReligious Services

Celebrity ships offer a daily Catholic mass, a special Sunday mass and a Sunday ecumenical service, all hosted by a Roman Catholic Priest. During Easter and Christmas, a Protestant Minister is onboard to perform services. A Rabbi or Cantor is onboard to conduct services during Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Hanukah.

If they have now decided to change this policy, they had better give all booked passengers notice and an opportunity to get a refund!

spacer.gif

I just can't understand how a cruise line that prides itself for feeding our bodies so well would choose not to accommodate our need for spiritual nourishment.:confused:

Because it's not a church! It's a cruiseline intended for vacations, not spiritual salvation. I'm a Catholic and this policy change doesn't phase me at all. People need to learn to be flexible and adaptive.

Much ado about nothing.

Hello. I just found this. Considering my first Celebrity cruise. Rather "open" Episcopalian. Question: Do you think nothing multiple faithwise then...read through most? Have no problem any way...except would love if all folks had most options possible and would love an option...a multifaith one. I understand all angles and respect all...and can pray alone etc. Also, truly have no problem sitting in with whomever will allow...and have no problem respecting no Holy Eucharist in an Orthodox or Roman Catholic service. Just a little tired...Summary? Thank you in advance. sjn911

Being on a cruise ship is like being in a small, contained community. Let's see, we have the library (What! People want to read on vacation?!) We have the doctor (I've never seen him/her, much less had the need for one. Maybe we should get rid of that position as well). We have the business office to take your money for future business (ie:vacation) planning. We have postal/banking service at the purser's desk. We have retail shops. We have communications centers with computers. Of course, there's the dining rooms and cafeterias. (Maybe we should do away with the special preparations and ingredients needed for vegetarian/low sodium/low cal menus since they only cater to a specific group of people). We have service club meetings and social club meetings (Rotary, AA, etc.). And we have laundry services (sometimes self-serve actually provided for FREE on cruiselines). Now please explain to me, are any of these services specifically vacation oriented? No. So why should the ship provide these services, and not religious services? Yes, we're on vacation, but our lives do not stop. If that were the case, then the ship should take out the computer room altogether, because people certainly should not keep up with work, news, etc., since they're on vacation. I bet that would get a few heated responses.

I understand there are people on this thread who have no use for religion, and you know what, that's their perogative. I have no use for service club meetings, getting stamps at the desk, or having vegetarian meals. But I'm not throwing a fit b/c these things are provided. Sheesh, people!! Where is the tolerance? Where is the peace, understanding and acceptance of people of all cultures, backgrounds, and yes, religion? Are these my fellow cruise passengers??

Being on a cruise ship is like being in a small, contained community. Let's see, we have the library (What! People want to read on vacation?!) We have the doctor (I've never seen him/her, much less had the need for one. Maybe we should get rid of that position as well). We have the business office to take your money for future business (ie:vacation) planning. We have postal/banking service at the purser's desk. We have retail shops. We have communications centers with computers. Of course, there's the dining rooms and cafeterias. (Maybe we should do away with the special preparations and ingredients needed for vegetarian/low sodium/low cal menus since they only cater to a specific group of people). We have service club meetings and social club meetings (Rotary, AA, etc.). And we have laundry services (sometimes self-serve actually provided for FREE on cruiselines). Now please explain to me, are any of these services specifically vacation oriented? No. So why should the ship provide these services, and not religious services? Yes, we're on vacation, but our lives do not stop. If that were the case, then the ship should take out the computer room altogether, because people certainly should not keep up with work, news, etc., since they're on vacation. I bet that would get a few heated responses.

I understand there are people on this thread who have no use for religion, and you know what, that's their perogative. I have no use for service club meetings, getting stamps at the desk, or having vegetarian meals. But I'm not throwing a fit b/c these things are provided. Sheesh, people!! Where is the tolerance? Where is the peace, understanding and acceptance of people of all cultures, backgrounds, and yes, religion? Are these my fellow cruise passengers??

a big AMEN to all of that! :)

Perhaps I am incorrect but I don't think people are against Catholics or even religious services in general, what some dislike (myself included) is the fact that there has generally only been a Catholic priest made available by Celebrity yet everyone "pays" for this despite most not being a member of that group nor do most participate in their practices or beliefs. One definition of discrimination is "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit." To me the availability of a Catholic Priest and only a Catholic priest certainly meets this definition.

So perhaps your final question about understanding and acceptance should be directed towards Catholics who require a Catholic priest while cruising. Are they more then willing to subsidize a similar person for the beliefs of all others? What about simply a single non-denominational religious leader? While I would not take advantage of that leader either, at least I wouldn't be forced to subsidize a singular religion which I do not believe in.

With the exception of the library, I believe all of the other services you mentioned are funded by those who use them (the retail shop is not there to lose money, those who seek medical treatment I assume are charged and if not maybe I will make an appointment for my next checkup, meals are paid for as part of your fare, the computers require payment to use, and the laundry is certainly not free on Celebrity which is what we are talking about).

According to the Celebrity website, the Catholic priest provides non-denominational services as well as the Catholic Mass. A non-denominational minister cannot conduct Catholic services but a priest can conduct non-denominational services. I would imagine that is why they provided a priest until now. They also provided a Rabbi for the Jewish holidays. Sounds like they were trying to provide the most economical option to try to serve everyone's needs.

With the exception of the library, I believe all of the other services you mentioned are funded by those who use them (the retail shop is not there to lose money, those who seek medical treatment I assume are charged and if not maybe I will make an appointment for my next checkup, meals are paid for as part of your fare, the computers require payment to use, and the laundry is certainly not free on Celebrity which is what we are talking about).

There are other positions, i.e. the Concierge is one on many.

Snow Road was the only one, so far, that cared about the crew – I care too!

Because it's not a church! It's a cruiseline intended for vacations, not spiritual salvation. I'm a Catholic and this policy change doesn't phase me at all. People need to learn to be flexible and adaptive.

Much ado about nothing.

I said the same thing in a previous post. I am glad someone agrees with me.

Do you have a link that can verify that fact? Please don't take offense, but I would find it surprising if it were true in light of the new policy regarding priests. It's impossible to believe they would cancel the priest chaplaincy and cite the reason they did if they were continuing to have rabbis on board on the same terms, especially since Catholics are almost certainly the largest faith group on most cruises. Even the ones from Ft. Lauderdale. :)

I would think it is not necessary because Jews can conduct services without a rabbi, but Catholics can't have a mass without a priest. (This may not be 100% theologically accurate on the Catholic side but it is close enough.)

On my last few cruises, Celebrity did not have a Rabbi on board, but it was published in the daily that if anyone was interested in conducting services on Friday, they could contact Guest Services and X would provide the room. The only times I've seen a Rabbi on board was for Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashannah, Sukkot, Purim and Pesach. I've not at all seen them on a weekly basis.

On a different note, cruise lines should not, and cannot be all things to all people. I'm disabled and because of that, I cannot participate in many of the activities on board cruise ships. I'm not physically able to go on most of their shore excursions, get into the swimming pool because they don't have stairs with railings on both sides, get to the bow of the ship during Panama Canal sailings and a whole lot of other things. Should I get all bent out of shape because X doesn't totally cater to me and my disability? NO !!!! I accept a cruise vacation for what it is, and make the best of my vacation despite not having it all.

BTW, if you want your daily mass, then cruise Crystal. They have a priest on every single cruise, and if you take their world cruise they have a full time priest, minister and rabbi on board. You won't miss a thing.

Archived