Daytime Dress

KellyJ

I've been following the dress code wars on these boards for quite a while in preperation for our 1/23 Westerdam cruise.

I though that I was going to start one the other day when I asked about appropriate dress for the Pinnacle Grill. But, thankfully I got the advice I asked for with just the right amount of fun jesting.

There was a thread on the RCI board which started as a cruise review and degenerated into somewhat of a dress code war. The OP posted the most eloquent defense of following the dress code on formal night..a link is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=2760414&postcount=18

Would it be ok if my 10 year old just wore a shirt and tie on the informal nights without a jacket. ( He of course will wear pants.) I will have him wear a tuxedo on the formal nights. Is it ok for young teens to wear tank tops during the day? Thank you for any information.

Karen

Karen, We were on the Volendam in December with my 2 DD, age 10, 14. During the day, my youngest was in a bathing suit most of the time. She put on shorts/capri/skirt and T-shirts to eat. My teenage DD wore Tshirts, tanks and bathing suit as well. As for cover-up, she used a large oversize T-shirt. She also wore comfortable shirts. We ate breakfast and lunch mostly in the lido as they liked it better - more relaxed and we saved our best appetite for the evening DR. When my husband and I wanted to eat in the DR, we would ask our oldest to keep eye on the youngest and we also met a nice family who had children the same age therefore we could "swap" parental duties on a few scheduled occasion. In the evening, you will find that most teens will change and join their peers after the evening show for teen related activities (arcade/music/teen dance/just talking and sharing stories...) I did not allow my teen to wear halter or tank in the DR or in the evening.

Your 10 year old will want to wear pants in the evening as it can get cold with the AC or wind. I don't recall ever seeing kids in shorts in the evening

On port days, if it's a day at the beach... of course tanks are OK.

the first shot in the first dress code war of this year. Why, I'm not even sure it's been started (yet) in this thread! (maybe by post #23. maybe).

Have no fear---we can get there without any help! ;)

Post #23 was not a invitation to combat. It was an accurate recitation of frequent observations.

A call to arms would include some of the formal night details such as jeans with motorcycle boots, unshaven beards, and hairy armpits protruding from tank tops.

And that was just the women!

we were on the Westerdam 12-04 and on formal nights hubby wore nice slacks and a blueblazer/tie. He took off the tie and jacket for the show and so did many others. he hates to wear a tie now that he is retired and not required to dress up at work anymore ! why suffer in the dark....on vacation?

This is why we are abandoning the mass market lines like HAL, and heading for Crystal, where people know what Formal Night means, without offering BS excuses about their after-dinner attire -- or lack thereof.

Even on the Zaandam Caribbean cruise, 90% or more of pax adhered to the dress code. There were some "outliers" in the statistics, but there weren't enough of the to make a dent in HAL's traditionalism.

We got pretty relaxed on our transatlantic on which we had 8 formal nights but we stuck to code. Formal nights had lost their impact by number 6. I did dressy top switching and didn't get out all the "bling", but we never strayed.

By 3/4 of the way, some folks opted to wear jeans on casual nights, perhaps they were running out of clean clothes (that's a joke, not an excuse.)

We just don't worry about being anal about it like i used to. Does this mean I'm jaded?

Looking at another long one for 2006.

GN

This is why we are abandoning the mass market lines like HAL, and heading for Crystal, where people know what Formal Night means, without offering BS excuses about their after-dinner attire -- or lack thereof.

Are you always this rude or is this special for us today?

While I'm adamant in asking that people respect a line's dress code, and request that the line's enforce their dress codes, I'm also in favor of updating and modernizing those dress codes. WE no longer live in the first half of the 20th century...

Why would you let what someone does or does not wear bother you - let alone effect your cruise?

I just don't understand this - we adhere to the suggested dress of the day (as do our children) and don't really give it another thought.

Who cares what the guy seated next to you in the show lounge is wearing. The day I have so much time on my hands to play "fashion faux paux" on a cruise, well, that's the day I think I need a reality check. :)

Well, what's a week without a little dress code debate ... redface.gif ?

KellyJ, if you're even still around, this debate is not your fault. This happens every time dress codes are brought up. I admire you and I think it's so thoughtful of you to care and I only wish more people did.

For myself I really don't care what people wear during the day and after dinner. I really do enjoy dressing for dinner because we see people nicely dressed so rarely so I just think it's festive and fun. But that's just me and I would never inflict my feelings on anyone.

However, I do believe in adhering to the policies and practices of a cruiseline (or restaurant or whatever). If I'm asked to follow a dresscode, I do. But I know that's not terribly popular in this world where it's so much easier to just do as we please.

Since we're voting, I can't say I miss Superstein terriblywink.gif .

Archived