Daytime Dress

KellyJ

Hello Everyone,

Westerdam 12/11/05 will be our second cruise. Our first was on the Caribbean Princess in November 2004. On Princess, it was acceptable to wear shorts and t-shirts (usually the ones collected at yesterday's port)during the day even in the dining room. Since HAL appears to be a dressier line, is this okay for the day, or should I pack collared shirts for DH and myself for daytime?

Another question on dress-On Princess, we had 2 formal nights and the rest were resort casual. On HAL, we have 2 formal and the rest range from casual to informal. Are the informal days specified, and does DH need to wear a tie with his sportcoat for informal nights? The Pinnacle Grill thread said that a sportcoat without a tie is fine.

Thank you for all of the information- we would like to show respect for our fellow passengers by dressing appropriately.

KellyJ

Shorts and t-shirts are fine during the day---even in the dining room. Tank tops would be a bit too revealing in the dining room during the day.

On informal nights the dress code for a man is sport coat, tie optional.

Thank you for respecting you fellow passengers and wanting to dress appropriately; it is much appreciated by the traditionalists aboard.

Also, remember the dress code is for the entire evening, not just dinner. If you plan to go to the show or spend time in the lounges you will want to stay in your evening clothes.

This post, and the previous one by Ruth makes me wonder: Where has Superstein been lately?:D

Pleeeezzzzzzzeeeee don't start anything, Marc!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been nice here lately. :eek:

No one wants this thread to devolve into the ever-popular "dress code war of '05".

Do they? :confused:

Pleeeezzzzzzzeeeee don't start anything, Marc!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been nice here lately. :eek:

No one wants this thread to devolve into the ever-popular "dress code war of '05".

Do they? :confused:

I definitely agree. It's just that after reading the posts by you and Doone thanking the OP for being considerate I realized I hadn't seen Superstein in a while.

On a serious note about four to six months ago someone posted that on one of the ships (perhaps the Statendam?) that passengers were denied entry to the dining room for breakfast and lunch if dressed in shorts. But I think this may have been an isolated incident.

On the Maasdam we had all of our breakfasts and lunches in the Lido. However, I saw many people going into the dining room wearing shorts for those meals.

I'll be on the Westerdam 3/20, 1st cruise. I'm bringing my tux, but I only own 1 tux shirt, is there a laundry on board to clean the shirt and are they quick enough to clean it between the 1st and 2nd formal night?

My personal vacation rule is no ties, unless formal. I'll be ok with a jacket without tie? Are khaki's and a blue blazer appropriate or more dressy?

Yes, you will have time to have your tux shirt laundered and returned before the next formal evening.

On informal evenings, a coat without tie will be fine. Casual evenings are "resort casual" (slacks/Dockers and collared shirt.)

Quick question...DH is grumbling about the 2 formal evenings..Is it okay if we choose not to dress formally, to have dinner in the lido wearing casual clothes? Nice capri's for me, and dockers for hubbie? I thought maybe we'd go formal one night, and try an alternative the other. Any comments would be great!

Yes, feel free to dress in nice casual clothes to dine in the Lido on formal evenings.

But don't you want to go to the show or visit a lounge for cocktails or music/dancing? You'll miss a lot of the fun of the evening portion of the cruise if you don't.

we were on the Westerdam 12-04 and on formal nights hubby wore nice slacks and a blueblazer/tie. He took off the tie and jacket for the show and so did many others. he hates to wear a tie now that he is retired and not required to dress up at work anymore ! why suffer in the dark....on vacation?

Would it be ok if my 10 year old just wore a shirt and tie on the informal nights without a jacket. ( He of course will wear pants.) I will have him wear a tuxedo on the formal nights. Is it ok for young teens to wear tank tops during the day? Thank you for any information.

Karen

Karen, if you son doesn't have a jacket that fits why not add a vest to his outfit? That would give a finished look without the expense of a jacket he'll outgrow before dessert. Even a sweater vest would polish off the outfit a bit.

As far a tank tops go, they are fine on deck and around the pool. I just find it kills my appetite to see them at meals. (maybe not such bad thing after all?:confused: )

we were on the Westerdam 12-04 and on formal nights hubby wore nice slacks and a blueblazer/tie. He took off the tie and jacket for the show and so did many others. he hates to wear a tie now that he is retired and not required to dress up at work anymore ! why suffer in the dark....on vacation?

Heck, why bother to wear pants, then?

-dave

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.

Thank you for all of the wonderful information. We will remain in evening attire for the entire evening.

The only times we did not on our last cruise-during sail away at 11:00 p.m. we were in the hot tub and at Movies under the Stars-it was a warm evening so DH wore shorts, but we ate at the Buffet after the movie, so did not even attempt to eat in the dining room.

I certainly did not mean to start "Dress Code Wars 2005." Sorry, just looking for information-we look at our cruises as special events so we like to dress up. We purchase DH his own tux for our first cruise-and we had no problem having it pressed for formal night which was the first full day on board. Our lovely friends at TSA I think put it in a knot while they were searching our bags. Next time, I won't have it pressed before we go-just when we get on board. I told DH about the unlimited laundry for $50 which is cheaper than paying for an S suite-but I am jealous of you "suite-people" and his reply was-we can't go wrinkled can we, so he has taking to cruising and dressing for dinner very well. DH has 2 formal shirts and we didn't have problem getting the second pressed for the 2nd formal night. Just remember to get it pressed/laundered a full day before formal night-there was a 50% markup for things turned in before 8:00 a.m. to be returned the same day.

KellyJ

This post, and the previous one by Ruth makes me wonder: Where has Superstein been lately?:D

One of his last posts he said he was giving up cruising after his Zui cruise and was taking the family to Hawaii for his next vacation and renting a condo.

I miss him.

I just found a dress code thread from Novemebr where he posted... perhaps I should bump it - or maybe not...

I certainly did not mean to start "Dress Code Wars 2005." Sorry, just looking for information

We understand, really we do. But some folks start to wax nostalgic if we go a month with no dress code controversies! :rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise!!

Heck, why bother to wear pants, then?

-dave

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.

You know, I don't have a problem with the first formal night. But by the time I get to the second or especially third formal night, well let's just say that the clothes are not quite as loose. So Dave, you may be onto something.;)

Feeling evil today, Laura?

:rolleyes: -dave

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Oh yeah! After reading what was posted about me yesterday (now removed, thankfully) I am feeling pretty feisty!

I'll be on the Westerdam 3/20, 1st cruise. I'm bringing my tux, but I only own 1 tux shirt, is there a laundry on board to clean the shirt and are they quick enough to clean it between the 1st and 2nd formal night?

I don't recommend trusting a good quality formal shirt to the ship's laundry.

HAL's dress code follows. The dress code is usually enforced in the dining rooms, but never in other public areas. On Caribbean cruises, I've seen shorts, tank tops, jeans and black Harley skull tee shirts in the show room and Lido restaurant on formal nights.

Clothing and dress code

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is laid-back and casual. We encourage you to wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable-sportswear, shorts, sundresses, slacks, and so on. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Bring a swimsuit-all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water, if you'll be spending much time in and around it. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship.

If you'd like to jog on deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

HAL's dress code follows. The dress code is usually enforced in the dining rooms, but never in other public areas. On Caribbean cruises, I've seen shorts, tank tops, jeans and black Harley skull tee shirts in the show room and Lido restaurant on formal nights.

Ah, but remember:

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

:) -dave

It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.

KellyJ, please don't worry---in no fashion ("fashion"? did I say "fashion"? :rolleyes: cute.) did you fire the first shot in the first dress code war of this year. Why, I'm not even sure it's been started (yet) in this thread! (maybe by post #23. maybe).

Have no fear---we can get there without any help! ;)

Archived