Table for two and pricing/booking question

eandj

1) Do the river boats have tables for two available on the newer boats 2007 and Younger? Does any line offer more of them than others?

When booking an ocean cruise, we use a familiar agent who will match any price and throws in on board credits for our loyalty. SOme lines discount, others like Celebrity, which we use often, do not. We just watch for price drops and get that amount credited or OBC's in place of pre the cruise date. With that, I'm all too competent to book an ocean cruise that we want.

2) :o How does river cruise pricing and booking work? Is it best to just look for "special prices" on the web sites of certain boats we are interested in? Is there any "give" in listed prices for the TA to pass on to us? Or should we just book with the cruiseline for some reason? HELP!:eek:

1) Do the river boats have tables for two available on the newer boats 2007 and Younger? Does any line offer more of them than others?

When booking an ocean cruise, we use a familiar agent who will match any price and throws in on board credits for our loyalty. SOme lines discount, others like Celebrity, which we use often, do not. We just watch for price drops and get that amount credited or OBC's in place of pre the cruise date. With that, I'm all too competent to book an ocean cruise that we want.

2) :o How does river cruise pricing and booking work? Is it best to just look for "special prices" on the web sites of certain boats we are interested in? Is there any "give" in listed prices for the TA to pass on to us? Or should we just book with the cruiseline for some reason? HELP!:eek:

I will just answer the question that I know the answer to... At least on AMA Waterways there are tables for two in the dining room. The deal is, though, that you have to get there to grab them, since the tables aren't reserved.

Some of the cruise lines offer specials from time to time. You just have to watch. I don't know about TA versus cruise line. Probably a coin toss.

I'm amazed at the number of times a "table for two" has appeared on the River Boat cruising forum. I look forward to a table of 6 or 8. I'll be with my wife virtually 7 x 24 for almost 21 days. I look forward to the evening interaction with others from different locales to discuss the days happenings. That open seating arrangement is one of the positives of river cruising. JMO

I'm amazed at the number of times a "table for two" has appeared on the River Boat cruising forum. I look forward to a table of 6 or 8. I'll be with my wife virtually 7 x 24 for almost 21 days. I look forward to the evening interaction with others from different locales to discuss the days happenings. That open seating arrangement is one of the positives of river cruising. JMO

My Dh and I enjoy our dinners alone. We have all day to interact with others on the boat and do enjoy that. But because we don't get enough quality time together at home due to his office hours, we consider our vacations our personal reconnect time and reserve our evenings as date nights. We enjoy every minute alone and the sparks DO fly! :D

Everyone to their own;)

It is hard to get alone time on a river cruiser. Not all boats have tables for 2. For the past few seasons Uniworld has offered dinner on the sundeck on some of its cruises. To me a perfect way to have some time for just two. Read the web sites of the various lines, and ask questions of the lines. We have booked with a TA, an on line Ta and the cruise company themselves. Guess it just depends on comfortable you are with each option. 2river lines, Vantage and Grand Circle only book thru their own offices--no TA of any type. Good luck finding the cruise just right for you. Pat

We were on a Viking ship last year and there were no tables for two. However, one couple consistently stayed in the bar and had a cozy drink and wandered into the dining room about 45 minutes after everyone else, to eat. That is probably what they were doing - having some alone time. As you say - different strokes...

We were just on the Avalon Affinity and looked forward to a table for two (their video shows them) but there were none at all.

We were disappointed.

Yes, so will we. Truly an issue that we can't ignore. I suppose breakfast and lunches will be at larger tables too? Would surely miss our leisurely breakfasts on the balcony. Could we take our plates up on the deck for breakfast?

Archived