What's up with all of the bad IOS reviews?

We are sailing in March with 34 other guests who have not cruised before based on our receommendation. We sailed Freedom twice and LOVED her (although I haven't been on a cruise that I haven't liked). Can they be that different? There were a bunch of negative reviews from December with numerous complaints (many stemming from mediocre to poor food quality). Has anyone sailed recently and LIKED IOS??

We are sailing in March with 34 other guests who have not cruised before based on our receommendation. We sailed Freedom twice and LOVED her (although I haven't been on a cruise that I haven't liked). Can they be that different? There were a bunch of negative reviews from December with numerous complaints (many stemming from mediocre to poor food quality). Has anyone sailed recently and LIKED IOS??

We just returned from the 8 day New Year's Eve Independence cruise and had a great time. Let me point out we were with our two teens and the ship was very full (4192 pax vs 3634 double capacity with over 1100 kids). We had a 4 top table on deck 3 at early seating and service was excellent. I didn't notice any real food issues but I am not a real picky person. The beef was very good, the lamb was just right, the sides we requested for substitutes were properly handled. The biggest problems were pool deck seating and Windjammer seating at peak times. The only "food" problem that I recall was the salmon on the seafood skewer at Portofino was on the rare side. Everything else at Portofino and Chops was excellent as usual. The Sorrentos and Cafe promenade food was its normal good quality "snack" food. We did hear some complaints from the My Time Dining crowd about seating and wait times. Never having used MTD, I cannot comment.

Our port stops were changed and we left Labadee at 11 AM due to sea swells and docking problems but those things happen. Some folks got real upset but maybe they should cruise in hurricane season. :D

I haven't had time to do a review as it took us 2 days to get home due to a canceled flight (nothing to do with RCCL). We've been on the Indy twice in the past 14 months and both have been very enjoyable cruises. The New Year's Eve parties and celebrations were a lot of fun.

Just go with your eyes open and plan on having a good time. Afterall, its vacation and you are cruising!

We were on the 12/12-20 sailing, and had a great time - isn't any vacation what you make of it? I will say, however, that it was not up to par with our past cruises. We actually had a rude bartender in the champagne bar, which has NEVER happened before. In his defense however, he was working the entire bar alone, even during the busy pre-dinner hour. While our dining room staff was lovely and as friendly as ever, they, too, were stretched too thin. They had to run bar service as well as all the dinner entrees and consequently our food never arrived more than luke warm. Whether RC will admit to it or not, I'm pretty certain they've made staffing cuts, and that is making it difficult for any of the crew to give the type of individualized attention repeat cruisers have been accustomed to. If this had been our first cruise, we wouldn't have had anything to compare it to however, and looking at it from that angle it was great! :) You should have a fabulous time - enjoy!

I think like most things, it's a lot easier to voice your discontent than if you really like something. Just remember that CC represents about 1% of the cruising population. Food is very subjective as well. Go and have a great time and try not to worry about it. If your friends can't have a good time on a cruise ship, they probably can't have fun in most places.

Thanks ...I do feel a lot better! We have always loved our cruises and feel like the staff always does their best considering they are dealing with the public and that is not an easy job. We are so fortunate to be able to cruise! Can't wait!

We were on the 12/12-20 sailing, and had a great time - isn't any vacation what you make of it? I will say, however, that it was not up to par with our past cruises. We actually had a rude bartender in the champagne bar, which has NEVER happened before. In his defense however, he was working the entire bar alone, even during the busy pre-dinner hour. While our dining room staff was lovely and as friendly as ever, they, too, were stretched too thin. They had to run bar service as well as all the dinner entrees and consequently our food never arrived more than luke warm. Whether RC will admit to it or not, I'm pretty certain they've made staffing cuts, and that is making it difficult for any of the crew to give the type of individualized attention repeat cruisers have been accustomed to. If this had been our first cruise, we wouldn't have had anything to compare it to however, and looking at it from that angle it was great! :) You should have a fabulous time - enjoy!

We were on the same cruise, and had a wonderful time! I was on a thread lately where someone complained about the food on the Indy. We thought that the VARIETY of choices in the Windjammer weren't as good as other ships, but the QUALITY was just fine.

We were on the Indy Christmas cruise and loved it. We had no food issues either, but also are not picky eaters. Prime rib and lamb were very good. Enjoyed the WJ as well. Chops was very good. Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a group as large as the one you are going with..everyone will have no choice but to enjoy this great experience after all you will be together..We have sailed on the INDY many times with our entire family and have had nothing but great times to remember..Looking forward to being back on her for the 8 night Eastern Caribbean in March....ENJOY !!!

We were on the Indy for the Novenber Transatlantic. We had a fine time. Food was generally preyy good and Chops was outstanding.

Remember, there are some people that are never happy and live to find fault..My ex-wife comes to mind :rolleyes:

You will have a great time if you let yourself.

We are sailing on the Indy April 3rd, and I am so happy that I found this thread. I too was beginning to worry with all the bad reviews. But I just figure you can't make everyone happy. I'm just so glad we're going on vacation,and that we're all healthy. There is always someone worse off.So be thankful for what you have and have a great time!

We were on the 12/12 sailing last month too! Loved the Indy! The staff was exceptional and the food was better than most RCI crusies we have been on!

I agree with your thoughts. We were on Indy 12/6 - 12/20 and loved the ship. Service was great and staff were friendly and helpful. :)

Food was some of the best we have had for a while on RCI.;)

My only complaint was finding out Indy was going to be in Europe for quite some time starting this spring and I wanted to go for another 2 weeks next year.:(

Archived