Navigating Positano

deadzone1003

We are planning to visit Positano on a private excursion from Naples. There will be 8 of us aboard a van plus guide and driver. We are trying to get an idea of the type of walking that is required for Positano. From what we gather we know that it is not a good town for wheelchairs and walkers. We know that there will be stairs and narrow rising pathways. We do not plan to go down to the beach, just to a nice restaurant with a view. Of course, it is the walk up that we have a question. Just as a perspective, how long of a walk would it be from the beach to a lowest pick-up point allowable for a van?

It's been a couple of years, but I think all of the roads I remember in Positano, other than route 163, are narrow one way streets. There were a couple that were down near the water, with restaurants along them that faced the water. I don't know how good they are, as we didn't eat in any of them, but perhaps you can get some feedback.

Positano is not a great place for those who have trouble walking. There are some short sections of relatively flat streets, but overall, it's a town built into the side of a hill.

The town is built on the side of a large hill and the main street into town and all the way to the beach is one way down. It is an easy walk down with shops and things along the way. There are a couple of nice restaurants at the beach. Since we had spent several days there and after the first trek back up the hill, we found there is a bus that you can pick up at the bottom and ride all the way to the top. However, if you are in a private van, I don't see any reason he can't drop you off at the bottom and pick you up again. Positano is not a large town so walking down is fairly easy, but not for wheelchairs or walkers.

Carol

We are planning to visit Positano on a private excursion from Naples. There will be 8 of us aboard a van plus guide and driver. We are trying to get an idea of the type of walking that is required for Positano. From what we gather we know that it is not a good town for wheelchairs and walkers. We know that there will be stairs and narrow rising pathways. We do not plan to go down to the beach, just to a nice restaurant with a view. Of course, it is the walk up that we have a question. Just as a perspective, how long of a walk would it be from the beach to a lowest pick-up point allowable for a van?

You can easily walk to the beach ;)

The town is built on the side of a large hill and the main street into town and all the way to the beach is one way down. It is an easy walk down with shops and things along the way. There are a couple of nice restaurants at the beach. Since we had spent several days there and after the first trek back up the hill, we found there is a bus that you can pick up at the bottom and ride all the way to the top. However, if you are in a private van, I don't see any reason he can't drop you off at the bottom and pick you up again. Positano is not a large town so walking down is fairly easy, but not for wheelchairs or walkers. Carol

Carol seems to summarize the situation and challenge well. My recollection, and checking the Google satellite maps seems to confirm, that there is NOT a highway or roadway that goes directly to the bottom where the heart of the town sits on the beach. Wheelchairs seem near impossible or very tough. You could visit Positano, but if you don't go all of the way down the steps to the beach, it might be hard or near impossible to appreciate fully its great, unique beauty. Down there, along the beach, we had lunch at Chez Black and it was super wonderful. It was a Fisherman's Soup or stew that was huge, had about about ten different seafood items, etc. Great! Never forget that lunch there in that spectacular location. Loved it. BUT, if you can't get there, is it worth making the effort to go to Positano? Or, should you consider other options in this wonderful area?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We also did a private tour from Naples and visited Positano. We had about an hour to explore on our own. We were dropped off (in a van too) much further down than the buses can get but there is not a road that can take you down to the beach. We walked down - strolled is a better word - and it took us about 10 minutes....... There are indeed steps and inclined walkways......but unless there is someone with mobility issues (not just not used to hills) you should be ok. The passages were quite narrow in some places and we werent sure we were going the right way but we kept on and sure enough......the beach ! We took it slow coming back up (couch potato syndrome :D) stopping at a little shop for some yummy chocolates.

In my opinion its just not that bad unless someone has bum knees, breathing issues etc...... definately no wheelchairs or walkers tho !

We also did a private tour from Naples and visited Positano. We had about an hour to explore on our own. We were dropped off (in a van too) much further down than the buses can get but there is not a road that can take you down to the beach. We walked down - strolled is a better word - and it took us about 10 minutes....... There are indeed steps and inclined walkways......but unless there is someone with mobility issues (not just not used to hills) you should be ok. The passages were quite narrow in some places and we werent sure we were going the right way but we kept on and sure enough......the beach ! We took it slow coming back up (couch potato syndrome :D) stopping at a little shop for some yummy chocolates.

In my opinion its just not that bad unless someone has bum knees, breathing issues etc...... definately no wheelchairs or walkers tho !

One of my fellow passengers has bum knees; if she doesn't go all the way to the beach, but midway from road to beach, are there shops or cafes at that point?

One of my fellow passengers has bum knees; if she doesn't go all the way to the beach, but midway from road to beach, are there shops or cafes at that point?

Tons of shops - a few cafes all along there. Lots of places to see/things to do without going all the way down. Positano is simply charming. Actually unless you just want to say you did it - there really isnt a lot of reasons to go all the way down. We wanted to go down and look back up. There was also a very old gentlemen painting at the bottom (under the pergola) and I enjoyed watching him for a while. Have you seen "Under the Tuscan Sun" movie ???? When she is in Positano the first time at the beach enjoying lemoncello - she is under the same pergola. Rough wooden structure. Very cool to say I have been there.

We also visited Ravello and Amalfi (after Pompeii in the morning) Loved all 3 but perhaps Positano a bit more. We were able to visit and do more since we were there way out of season and no traffic, no crowds no lines etc etc...... an awesome day. One I will not soon forget.

Archived