The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

I think we're on the same cruise FOS 3/27. Being as the ship is in drydock the prior week I was thinking embarkation will be a breeze since no passengers are coming off. Maybe it won't be such a long wait??

That's why I said we could arrive a little earlier and hit our routine by 11:00!!

1. Windjammer

2. Tour of the ship/check out table location in the Dinning room

3. Cabin

4. Sky Bar and a drink!

5. Relax and enjoy the band by the pool until sail a way!

YES!! We're on the same cruise!! Your from the Chicago area I think? I looked our list LOL!

I hope you start posting more! We need to spice up our thread some!

Preston, The last time we were there, they had chairs and FREE beverages and cookies. I would be going crazy at the hotel; so I was thinking might as well be at the pier than at the hotel?? We are Diamond C&A members. Does that help?

Thanks!

That will work just not much there.

Just wanted to add my sons experience today with Avis.

When their ship (CCL Pride) ported today they called Avis and it took 45 minutes for them to get there.

Since i used them in the past and had no problems i recommeded them and feel embarassed now.

They said they were not very happy along with the other people who also rented from Avis.

Bill

Bill on any given day 10,000 people get on and off the ships and many rent cars. Your experience was the exception. Avis like the others do a great job.

We will be in your neck of the woods in less than a month (woohoo), and we plan to rent a car from MCO.

Are there still "real" tollbooths, payable in cash all the way to the coast, or are there any cashless tollbooths that I might get dinged at?? (I tried the links for the tollroad info on post 862, but they are not working for me)

Only one and most rental cars have easy pass but in addition to the toll it will cost $2.50. I would stop and pay the toll.

We have never been to Port Canaveral and will come in for a day on the Enchantment of the Seas. Our plan is to use the Space Coast Area Transit system to get around.

Has anyone used this? How does one get from the ship to the bus stop (George King stop). Are there shuttles inside the port area? Walkable?

Thanks to any who reply.

We have never been to Port Canaveral and will come in for a day on the Enchantment of the Seas. Our plan is to use the Space Coast Area Transit system to get around.

Has anyone used this? How does one get from the ship to the bus stop (George King stop). Are there shuttles inside the port area? Walkable?

Thanks to any who reply.

You would have to taxi to the bus then wait. I would highly recommend getting a car for the day. It is very inexpensive and this area is easy to navigate.

Bill on any given day 10,000 people get on and off the ships and many rent cars. Your experience was the exception. Avis like the others do a great job.

While I appreciate that it may be the exception rather than the rule but just reporting the facts.

I use Avis exclusively and always have used them in the past with no problems but it's been about 2 yers so maybe things have changed.

Also AFAIK the CCL Pride was the only ship in port as it was a Wednesday.

I'll find out more tomorrow when my son returns home.

Bill

While I appreciate that it may be the exception rather than the rule but just reporting the facts.

I use Avis exclusively and always have used them in the past with no problems but it's been about 2 yers so maybe things have changed.

Also AFAIK the CCL Pride was the only ship in port as it was a Wednesday.

I'll find out more tomorrow when my son returns home.

Bill

Stuff happens!

Just wanted to add my sons experience today with Avis.

When their ship (CCL Pride) ported today they called Avis and it took 45 minutes for them to get there.

Since i used them in the past and had no problems i recommeded them and feel embarassed now.

They said they were not very happy along with the other people who also rented from Avis.

Bill

We've used Avis and had no problem. I will note that if you can get off the ship early, you will get on an early shuttle. We got off almost 1st, paid to have our luggage taken off and sent to the airport, we had to wait about 15 minutes for the first shuttle to arrive, but all the other rental car shuttles arrived about the same time and they all waited for the the many who were getting off the ship behind us & until they got enough to fill the bus. Carnival had already had a large group disembarke and we ended up meeting many of those people and those waiting to get shuttled to a ship (very early arrivals) at the Avis office. It looked like Thrifty Car Rental across the street was having the same issues. Hertz down the street still had lines when we drove past it after we got our "upgrade" car.

Take 1000's of people and try to push them into a half a dozen offices, each with a few shuttle vans, a clerk or two, on a Sunday morning and all arriving in port alost at the same time, and guess what: some people are going to have to wait.

Like was said before .... "Stuff Happens." It's a vacation, don't let anything ruin it for you. You have to go back to work the next day.

On a personal note: Avis treated us above average... being we do the same with the clerks who serve us... unto others as you have them do to you... It's not their fault that 50 or more people got off a ship at the same time, wanted an Avis car and then all want to be first in line.

We've used Avis and had no problem. I will note that if you can get off the ship early, you will get on an early shuttle. We got off almost 1st, paid to have our luggage taken off and sent to the airport, we had to wait about 15 minutes for the first shuttle to arrive, but all the other rental car shuttles arrived about the same time and they all waited for the the many who were getting off the ship behind us & until they got enough to fill the bus. Carnival had already had a large group disembarke and we ended up meeting many of those people and those waiting to get shuttled to a ship (very early arrivals) at the Avis office. It looked like Thrifty Car Rental across the street was having the same issues. Hertz down the street still had lines when we drove past it after we got our "upgrade" car.

Take 1000's of people and try to push them into a half a dozen offices, each with a few shuttle vans, a clerk or two, on a Sunday morning and all arriving in port alost at the same time, and guess what: some people are going to have to wait.

Like was said before .... "Stuff Happens." It's a vacation, don't let anything ruin it for you. You have to go back to work the next day.

On a personal note: Avis treated us above average... being we do the same with the clerks who serve us... unto others as you have them do to you... It's not their fault that 50 or more people got off a ship at the same time, wanted an Avis car and then all want to be first in line.

Thanks for your input. You are right, stuff happens.

Maybe I didn't post correctly but my son wasnt docked there to go home.

They were there on a port of call and the only reason I posted was because the time in port is very limited with picking up the car and driving to SeaWorld, the driving back to Avis and getting the shuttle back before the ship departs cuts into your time drastically.

Thanks again for your post.:)

BIll

Just an update about my sons Avis situation.

He said that they finally got picked up by Budget and that the driver said that the Avis driver was sent home.

She came in the Budget shuttle but it was not handicapped accessible so she had to go back and get the Avis shuttle which had accessibility.

In the end they wound up renting from Budget.

Bill

Just an update about my sons Avis situation.

He said that they finally got picked up by Budget and that the driver said that the Avis driver was sent home.

She came in the Budget shuttle but it was not handicapped accessible so she had to go back and get the Avis shuttle which had accessibility.

In the end they wound up renting from Budget.

Bill

Hello Bill

Just wanted to say that Budget and Avis are sisters, but all the rental companies here help each other in pinches - most of the time what happens is that Orlando or "headquarters" over rent cars and then put the places here in the bad spot light by not covering the places here with all the cars they need - I have seen it happen so many times where they are all scrambling to fill their customers needs - all of them are such great folks to deal with and they do get fusterated - many times I have posted to call the places directly, make your reservations with them and it makes it so much easier and yes they will recognize discounts etc - also tell them you got the information from the board.

Good luck and glad everything worked out for everyone.

I can't seem to find the post within this thread that talks about all the various options for getting from MCO to the port. Can someone remind me on where to find that information? I think it mentions that one or more of the companies listed gives a discount if you mention CC...? Thanks!

I can't seem to find the post within this thread that talks about all the various options for getting from MCO to the port. Can someone remind me on where to find that information? I think it mentions that one or more of the companies listed gives a discount if you mention CC...? Thanks!

Here is the link from Shirley's signature.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=862

It is post 862, great info!

Hello Shirley,

Is Bud still at the Country Inn & Suites cause I have sent him 2 email confirming my room in March and never got a reply from him????

Now that is surprising for he is great for answering back unless he has been out like so many others like myself with the darn flu from going from 80 degrees down to the 20's

anyhow here is his email address again and I will drop him a note

bud.burch@countryinns.com

Hello Shirley,

Is Bud still at the Country Inn & Suites cause I have sent him 2 email confirming my room in March and never got a reply from him????

Hello there manonreal - here is a reply I received from Bud

Hello Shirley,

Don't know who this person is but I am here every day all day and get and answer all my e-mails. He or she must have the wrong e-mail address. Could you find out an e-mail or phone number. He or she might be e-mailing the main e-mail box which is answered by the front desk manager and they need to write me directly so that I can help them with any questions.

Thanks for everything you do

Sincerely

Bud

Hello there manonreal - here is a reply I received from Bud

Hello Shirley,

Don't know who this person is but I am here every day all day and get and answer all my e-mails. He or she must have the wrong e-mail address. Could you find out an e-mail or phone number. He or she might be e-mailing the main e-mail box which is answered by the front desk manager and they need to write me directly so that I can help them with any questions.

Thanks for everything you do

Sincerely

Bud

Hello Shirley,

Thank you for your help but yesterday I decided to call him with my reservations and got the answer I wanted....He probably didn't know me since you didn't have a confirmation number and it is for March 3rd....thanks again for everything you do on cc!!!!

We want to drop our rental car off at around 6-8p.m. on a Saturday night in Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral. Looks like most agencies close at 4 on Saturdays. We know there are drop boxes, but we do like personal service. Are there ANY car rental places open later on Saturdays?

Thanks!

Rick and Deirdra

We want to drop our rental car off at around 6-8p.m. on a Saturday night in Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral. Looks like most agencies close at 4 on Saturdays. We know there are drop boxes, but we do like personal service. Are there ANY car rental places open later on Saturdays?

Thanks!

Rick and Deirdra

Sorry guys they are all closed. Confirm the drop box. I know Avis has one but not sure about the others. If you are dropping Saturday are you doing a Sunday cruise. If so take the car in the morning and they will take you right to the ship.

Edited by psbcap