Do you Pre Tan at a booth before you cruise?

Killswitch

Now I know someone will want to give advice on why sun is bad....keep it.

I ask because I am getting a base tan. So is my girl and because in a lot of the pictures here everyone looks white as a ghost on their cruise.

My girl says it's inevitable you will see people fried like lobsters though from being sensetive to the sun and out too long.

Do you tan before you go?

Yes, I do. Which, since I cruise again in a few weeks, I should start doing it soon. I'm not a person who tans excessively. I just like to get a bit of a base before I go and then enhance it while onboard. I live in the Midwest so it will be a while before it's nice enough to be outside in the sun. Our summers have been terrible these past few years, so the only real sun I get is around a vacation!

Yes, I do. Which, since I cruise again in a few weeks, I should start doing it soon. I'm not a person who tans excessively. I just like to get a bit of a base before I go and then enhance it while onboard. I live in the Midwest so it will be a while before it's nice enough to be outside in the sun. Our summers have been terrible these past few years, so the only real sun I get is around a vacation!

I usually just get a farmers tan since I am too busy in season to lay out.

I'll have a pretty good tan going by the time we leave in 13 days.

There is no such thing as a "base" tan. You will still burn if you stay out just as long as someone who doesn't have a "base" tan. BTW, my DH has had malignant melanoma. The surgery doesn't exactly leave a pretty scar.

I plan to! We leave on Feb 14 and I refuse to get a sunburn the first day and then not enjoy myself for the rest of the sea days! No flames please, I know it is not good for me but I don't do it often. In fact, the last time I tanned in a tanning booth was probably 15 years ago!:eek:

yes I do after burning on my first cruise sitting out in the sun for 1/2 hour at 10am. Living in the Midwest we don't get a chance to go outside much in the winter.

I know that tanning is not healthy, but I just keep thinking that there is a reason my Sweedish ancestors imigrated to Minnisota and not Jamacia:rolleyes:--the sun is brutal on my sensitive skin if I don't tan a bit first!

There is no such thing as a "base" tan. You will still burn if you stay out just as long as someone who doesn't have a "base" tan. BTW, my DH has had malignant melanoma. The surgery doesn't exactly leave a pretty scar.

By "Base Tan" I mean I don't want to look like a ghost when i get of the plane in Miami.

Sorry about your Husband. Hope he is ok now.

i used to tan alot infact i tanned for my last cruise. then a few weeks ago i got a few moles on my face and now i am getting them tested. so ask your self is it worth it. get a spray tan

Getting them tested? Why haven't you "had" them tested or looked at. A doctor can tell by looking at it if it is a melanoma by the shape when loked at under a eyepiece.

Good luck to you.

I had a feeling this thread would turn into a sun is bad for you deals. :rolleyes:

Yep. Sure do. I tan year round. Terrible, I know. I worked at a tanning salon for two years. I tan once a week to keep my glow. I used to tan excessively, but now I keep it to a minimum.

And FYI there is such a thing called a base tan. It doesn't take much to achieve. Five sessions within a twelve day period should do the trick. My college biology book even had an exerpt on tanning, that it CAN prevent a sunburn.

Also, there are different types of tanning beds. The normal UVA/UVB bed, and then a VHR bed. The UVA/UVB beds are more penetrating. I really recommend a base tan before any sort of trip when the sun's rays are abrasive. Yes, this includes ski trips.

Even if you slather up on the sunscreen, you can still get burnt. The sun's rays are going to damage your skin no matter what. If you don't want to chance a burn, stay inside. Easy as that :).

All in all, your skin is GOING to get damaged no matter what. If you don't tan before a cruise, and are fair to medium-skinned, you can get a bad 2nd degree burn. Not only will it be painful, but it's not attractive, and it's WAY worse for your skin in the long run, then to have taken 10-minute sessions a couple of times beforehand.

I understand melanoma and skin cancers and know how to identify them. God bless anyone who has had to go through a skin cancer experience, or had a loved one go through it.

Tanning is a lifestyle choice, just like smoking. Remember that smoking can lead to lung cancer? Secondhand smoke can as well. It's just like the sun...you can try to prevent exposure all you want, but it is the inevitable.

I find it funny, around my hometown at least, that a lot of the smokers bash tanning for it being so bad for you and how it can lead to cancer. Makes me want to slap a mirror in front of them so they can practice what they preach. I'm sorry that this heats me up, but I think that people should know the possible pros AND cons of each lifestyle choice.

To lighten the mood, here's some pictures of me my senior year of high school/early college so you know when to STOP tanning. Gah. I was an idiot. I'm obviously not this color now.

2609741640104126917S200x200Q85.jpg

2824948140104126917S200x200Q85.jpg

Trust me, no one in Miami (or on your cruise) is going to give much of a crap about how tan or pale you are when getting off the plane. We have more important ways by which to judge people.

As for pre-tanning, no. I live in Miami. I get a tan just by walking to work. Plus, I've seen the nasty leather-skinned weirdos that hang around the beach and I prefer to keep my skin feeling young and healthy. I get golden by sitting out for an hour. Why pay for it when the sun is free?

Besides, Tanorexics aren't cute.

Yep. Sure do. I tan year round. Terrible, I know. I worked at a tanning salon for two years. I tan once a week to keep my glow. I used to tan excessively, but now I keep it to a minimum.

And FYI there is such a thing called a base tan. It doesn't take much to achieve. Five sessions within a twelve day period should do the trick. My college biology book even had an exerpt on tanning, that it CAN prevent a sunburn.

Also, there are different types of tanning beds. The normal UVA/UVB bed, and then a VHR bed. The UVA/UVB beds are more penetrating. I really recommend a base tan before any sort of trip when the sun's rays are abrasive. Yes, this includes ski trips.

Even if you slather up on the sunscreen, you can still get burnt. The sun's rays are going to damage your skin no matter what. If you don't want to chance a burn, stay inside. Easy as that :).

All in all, your skin is GOING to get damaged no matter what. If you don't tan before a cruise, and are fair to medium-skinned, you can get a bad 2nd degree burn. Not only will it be painful, but it's not attractive, and it's WAY worse for your skin in the long run, then to have taken 10-minute sessions a couple of times beforehand.

I understand melanoma and skin cancers and know how to identify them. God bless anyone who has had to go through a skin cancer experience, or had a loved one go through it.

Tanning is a lifestyle choice, just like smoking. Remember that smoking can lead to lung cancer? Secondhand smoke can as well. It's just like the sun...you can try to prevent exposure all you want, but it is the inevitable.

I find it funny, around my hometown at least, that a lot of the smokers bash tanning for it being so bad for you and how it can lead to cancer. Makes me want to slap a mirror in front of them so they can practice what they preach. I'm sorry that this heats me up, but I think that people should know the possible pros AND cons of each lifestyle choice.

To lighten the mood, here's some pictures of me my senior year of high school/early college so you know when to STOP tanning. Gah. I was an idiot. I'm obviously not this color now.

2609741640104126917S200x200Q85.jpg

2824948140104126917S200x200Q85.jpg

You don't look over tanned to me.

Hey you.

:)

Trust me, no one in Miami (or on your cruise) is going to give much of a crap about how tan or pale you are when getting off the plane. We have more important ways by which to judge people.

As for pre-tanning, no. I live in Miami. I get a tan just by walking to work. Plus, I've seen the nasty leather-skinned weirdos that hang around the beach and I prefer to keep my skin feeling young and healthy. I get golden by sitting out for an hour. Why pay for it when the sun is free?

Besides, Tanorexics aren't cute.

Dood. I live in Michigan. It's like 6 degrees outside and I haven't seen the sun in three weeks.

lol

I do not, in fact I am of the age where I do not even lay out in the sun. I get enough sun during my daily walks on board or off the ship, besides who is going to see more of me then my arms, legs and head anyway. Not preaching here but for those that do enjoy the sun please be careful.

Just another perspective. You dont need to get burnt to get skin cancer - it is simply exposure to the sun. Sun cancer is the the most common form of cancer in Australia. Most people in Australia know this and most tanning salons have gone out of business after the Cancer Council proved how dangerous they are. Australia's sun is one of the harshest in the world and it is drummed in to us from an early age about the dangers. It is mandated by the government that whenever school children go outside they must wear a broad brimmed hat. I have to say I am staggered when I go to the US on cruises and find people baking themselves wearing factor 4, 10, 20 etc sun screen. We wear between factor 30-50, as well as broad brimmed hats(not caps) and rash vests when in the water. Both of my parents have had skin cancer, my husbands father has, husband has a mole that needs to be monitored and we have nearly lost my best friends husband twice due to skin cancer. If you want a tan get a spray tan - I'll be the white one coming on and off the cruise!! I do get a natural tan in summer - just from being outside (with sun screen on) walking, active lifestyle etc - I just dont lay out in it without protection hoping to get a 'base'...

Please be careful...

Nope. Aside from the health issues, I didn't and don't want to look 70 at 50. :eek: :D I have this wonderful, beautiful dermatologist. She is young (early 30's). Beautiful natural Scandanavian type blond. Tallish (when you are 5'2" like me 5'7" seems tall ;) ) and thin. And she has the most beautiful porcelin white skin you have ever seen. My goal is to be her..... :D:D:D

Yes I have tanned in tanning beds the last couple of cruises. The next cruise I'll do spray tans instead. There is a great spray tan on the market called "quick tan" it is awesome. Gives you nice color unlike some spray tans can make you look orange. :eek:

Yes I have tanned in tanning beds the last couple of cruises. The next cruise I'll do spray tans instead. There is a great spray tan on the market called "quick tan" it is awesome. Gives you nice color unlike some spray tans can make you look orange. :eek:

I have used the spray tans St tropez is pretty good, but it does tend to stain some light colour clothes sometimes.

Archived