Do you Pre Tan at a booth before you cruise?

Killswitch

There is no such thing as a base tan. It does not exist. I don't understand why being pale is a bad thing? Healthwise it definitely isn't. If your self-esteem is tied up in your tan, then there are other issues here.

Applying lotion after being in the sun only moisturizes your skin. It does absolutely nothing to prevent future burning.

There is a lot of really bad and totally wrong information being stated here. I wish a dermatologist or even better an oncologist would chime in.

Even dark skinned people can burn and get skin cancer. As I said a few pages back, my DH is hispanic and while not dark, he does have an olive compexion and he got melanoma which was fortunately caught early, but his dermatologist and oncologist would have a field day with some of you.

Oh and if you think you look "healthy" I hope you remember that when you're older and look 15 years older than you are. We had a neighbor growing up who even into her 50's looked great in a bikini, but her skin looked like wrinkled leather due to all the time she spent in the sun.

There is no such thing as a base tan. It does not exist. I don't understand why being pale is a bad thing? Healthwise it definitely isn't. If your self-esteem is tied up in your tan, then there are other issues here.

Applying lotion after being in the sun only moisturizes your skin. It does absolutely nothing to prevent future burning.

There is a lot of really bad and totally wrong information being stated here. I wish a dermatologist or even better an oncologist would chime in.

Even dark skinned people can burn and get skin cancer. As I said a few pages back, my DH is hispanic and while not dark, he does have an olive compexion and he got melanoma which was fortunately caught early, but his dermatologist and oncologist would have a field day with some of you.

Oh and if you think you look "healthy" I hope you remember that when you're older and look 15 years older than you are. We had a neighbor growing up who even into her 50's looked great in a bikini, but her skin looked like wrinkled leather due to all the time she spent in the sun.

Maybe that is not the case for you but really don't think you can speak for everyone. I have to have a "base" or I cannot go into the sun for even 15 minutes with sunscreen on without burning. EVER. It doesn't matter how much sunscreen I use or what the SPF is- I will burn. Burning is way, way worse than a light tan. If I have a base, then I can go out in the sun wearing tons of SPF and enjoy my day without worrying about burning. For me and I'm certainly not saying for everyone, tanning in a bed for a few weeks for a few minutes each time is much much better than burning to a crisp. So I will continue to do it.

And I do thank you all for the advice. I am also happy to announce that I am no longer getting that pink color so I felt comfortible going up to 12 minutes the other day! I did not turn pink at all! And I am getting a very nice tan color to me! :D

Agree with you on all accounts 100%

Face it: the real reason why people tan is vanity, plain and simple. They want to brag to other people and "look" like they went on vacation. Even people with "base tan" still burn and the sun is way hotter in the Caribbean (duh, closer to the equator!)

It doesn't make you healthier. Maybe in your head it does. Most people get the recommended Vitamin D from sun exposure just by going out in sun daily about their daily business.

Besides, who wants to be on a cruise when you are 60 and someone says "Look at Leather Lady"?? :)

I used to do the tanning bed before cruising for all the aforementioned reasons, plus it feels really good when the temps are way below freezing!!

Don't do them anymore though, over 50 now, figure all my years of sun worship should be behind me. I still lay out on the beaches, cause it feels amazing, when on vacation, using sunscreen (spf30) and still get nice color w/o burning.

Did find a great self tanner, made by Kate Somerville, they are huge towelettes, one per time all over face and body. Most natural yet:D

Those Kate Somerville towelettes sound great where do you get them? I live in Arizona, so I lay out in sun about 10-15 minutes a day for a base tan, but I'd like to even out my color before our cruise in May. I've read that it's good to get about 10 minutes of sun a day to provide your body with vitamin D which everyone needs.

Those Kate Somerville towelettes sound great where do you get them? I live in Arizona, so I lay out in sun about 10-15 minutes a day for a base tan, but I'd like to even out my color before our cruise in May. I've read that it's good to get about 10 minutes of sun a day to provide your body with vitamin D which everyone needs.

You can get them at qvc.com or probably her web site. i will start using them sunday to get ready for my cruise! After i used them 2 times, coupe days apart, people were asking me how my vacation was:D My DH was just told he had very low levels of vitamin D, put on supplements All that sunscreen everyone uses, plus the fact that we live in new england:eek:

You can get them at qvc.com or probably her web site. i will start using them sunday to get ready for my cruise! After i used them 2 times, coupe days apart, people were asking me how my vacation was:D My DH was just told he had very low levels of vitamin D, put on supplements All that sunscreen everyone uses, plus the fact that we live in new england:eek:

Thanks for the info, I shop on qvc all of the time, don't know how I've missed them. Enjoy your upcoming cruise! :)

Sobering topic here. I've got olive-toned skin and get pretty dark every year just from normal outdoor activities. Just turned 50 and I'm blessed not to be a lizard lady from years in the tropics of sunning and burning. I've got minimal wrinkles for my age, but numerous moles that I'll always have to monitor. I'm vain enough to be more worried about leathery skin (not to mention cancer surgery scars) than having the perfect color. However...I do look much better with some color. I'm definitely finding a spray tanning place before my cruise. I've also had good luck with getting good color with OTC creams (they just aren't always even).

I use SPRAY TAN----Mystic Booths only!! LOVE IT!!! I used to tan for years and have numerous moles on my body that appeared out of nowhere from a tanning bed. I also have pretty thick skin and some wrinkles from tanning bed use...age 33!! Personally, I would not do it again. If I knew now, what I knew then....I would of just done spray tan or tanning lotions. But to each thier own ;)

I tan. I even asked my dr about it . He said for you , you need a based tan. I had gotten sun poison on my shoulder a few year back. I but on my sunscreen religously .. but still like to tan before the cruise . and I also use FAKE BAKE tanning mouse...

A "doctor" told you that, really? That would be enough for me to find a new doctor.

Maybe that is not the case for you but really don't think you can speak for everyone. I have to have a "base" or I cannot go into the sun for even 15 minutes with sunscreen on without burning. EVER. It doesn't matter how much sunscreen I use or what the SPF is- I will burn. Burning is way, way worse than a light tan. If I have a base, then I can go out in the sun wearing tons of SPF and enjoy my day without worrying about burning. For me and I'm certainly not saying for everyone, tanning in a bed for a few weeks for a few minutes each time is much much better than burning to a crisp. So I will continue to do it.

Um, I'm speaking about human skin and you really aren't addressing facts. You are, however, defending your choice, but that doesn't make you right. I would love for you to have a talk with my husband's dermatologist (who found the very small melanoma on him) and his oncologist who treats people every day who thought they looked "healthier" with a tan. Burning is "worse" than a tan, but a tan is still skin damage and you can get skin cancer from tanning. And tanning beds have been proven to be very dangerous.

And for those that tan so they don't look pale on a cruise. You are obviously doing this out of vanity and concern over what everyone else will think of you if you have pale skin. That's sad, considering you will age much faster than those that are much more careful.

Um, I'm speaking about human skin and you really aren't addressing facts. You are, however, defending your choice, but that doesn't make you right. I would love for you to have a talk with my husband's dermatologist (who found the very small melanoma on him) and his oncologist who treats people every day who thought they looked "healthier" with a tan. Burning is "worse" than a tan, but a tan is still skin damage and you can get skin cancer from tanning. And tanning beds have been proven to be very dangerous.

And for those that tan so they don't look pale on a cruise. You are obviously doing this out of vanity and concern over what everyone else will think of you if you have pale skin. That's sad, considering you will age much faster than those that are much more careful.

I actually totally agree with you. I am not saying that a tan is good, all I said that it is better than burning for ME. If you would have read my entire post you would have saw that I wear tons of sunscreen when I am on vacation. However, if I don't have a base tan, even with all that sunscreen I burn. I am not obviously doing this out of vanity, what are you talking about? I do it so I won't burn! I don't come home any tanner than when I leave. I am very, very careful in the sun- you really need to read a person's entire post before you comment on it.

I also am tanning prior to my vacation to obtain a base. I also work nights and live in an area without intense sunlight . I am not tanning for color, just so I don't fry because even though I am also quite faithful with suntan lotion I can burn while working or playing in the sun. Remember those of you that use suntan lotion the SPF refers to how long before reapplying! Tanning also helps me get through the winter blues months and even some in the spring and fall as I work nights and need the sunlight therapy. I do not tan for lengthy periods. TRULY TO EACH HIS OWN!!

Wow - why don't all you tanning-booth haters just start another thread so you can talk about how stupid all us tanners are. I just got back from my cruise and was really glad to have gotten a base. I'm tan and look great. I burned my corneas, however, from the reflection of all you white-as-a-ghost people on the lido deck.

Or, you could just post on the "what about smoking" threads that are all over this board. Tell them about your oncologist, too.

Jeez.

• 4 weeks later...
Now I know someone will want to give advice on why sun is bad....keep it.

I ask because I am getting a base tan. So is my girl and because in a lot of the pictures here everyone looks white as a ghost on their cruise.

My girl says it's inevitable you will see people fried like lobsters though from being sensetive to the sun and out too long.

Do you tan before you go?

Depends on how your skin is. For my prom I tanned one time a couple of days before it and with that one 12 min session I was set. I am not fair skinned, im like medium toned I guess...:rolleyes: For me I'll just let the sun hit me while on the cruise. Also spray tans do look like spray tans..so I dont know if that is the look your going for.

I'll ask my dermatologists' advice before our 1st Caribbean cruise next year on whether brief exposure in a tanning bed would be acceptable since we haven't been "in" the sun for years, and we're concerned about the potential for serious burns, even with SPF 45, hats and cover-ups. I don't know what research has been done on the dangers presented by very limited use, but she may nix the idea. Either way, since women's swim suits are geared more towards maximizing skin exposure, I'll be wearing men's LONG board shorts with a tankini top, along with the rash vest for our water sports.

I use to tan outside or in a bed each year. Fact is yes I look better with a tan, vain or not. But I haven't tanned in a few years. I rarely burn so I can go on a cruise even when I'm pasty white and not worry about burning as long as I put some sunscreen on. It's just something I don't see as a necessity anymore for me.

I did notice that there were a lot of celebrities who went without obvious tans (real or fake) at the Oscars this year. The ones who were overly tan (like Sarah Jessica Parker - I don't mean women who naturally have dark skin) looked a little dated, imho.

I stick with the Mystic or self-tanning creams, but I do think that I look better with a little color.

Archived