Do you Pre Tan at a booth before you cruise?

Killswitch

I do not tan at any other time of the year, but I do sit in the tanning booth 6-10 times prior to cruising. I'm very careful to build up, starting out with very few minutes. I have BLINDING white skin and, in consideration of my fellow passengers, I try to tone it down a bit before exposing it pool-side. And contrary to some posts, I honestly do believe it helps. You'll still burn, base tan or not, if you don't use sunscreen. But I think you'll be safer with that base. (I have no scientific proof of this, only personal experience.)

Unfortunately, I am the world's whitest person, and my mom died of melanoma, so I am in the highest risk category for getting it. I tanned in high school--I used baby oil (eek!) and went to tanning salons because my naturally darker friends did. I know that I can't go tanning, and when I'm on a cruise or in the sun, I'm slathered in 30 SPF and I have just accepted that I am pasty. As I shared on another thread, I had a woman that looked like Donatella Versace (basically, shriveled leather) tell me that I needed a tan on one cruise. I WISH I could get color, but I don't. I just can't risk it.

You can definitely still get tan using a high SPF sunscreen. Believe me, I've done way more research on it than I care to. :)

To me, it's like smoking. I think people have the information and they do with it what they want. BF smokes. I wish he wouldn't but it's his choice. If I see someone tanning, I don't judge or scold, just like I would expect a tan person not to judge me for being pale. I am envious of tan people and hope that the worst thing that happens to them is wrinkles! :)

Just my 2 cents. I know you didn't want it to turn into this kind of thread. Sorry! :)

Now I know someone will want to give advice on why sun is bad....keep it.

I ask because I am getting a base tan. So is my girl and because in a lot of the pictures here everyone looks white as a ghost on their cruise.

My girl says it's inevitable you will see people fried like lobsters though from being sensetive to the sun and out too long.

Do you tan before you go?

I was born with a tan :D. Have fun on your cruise.

I have used the spray tans St tropez is pretty good, but it does tend to stain some light colour clothes sometimes.

I'll give that one a try. :)

I just sprayed myself now I'm off to work. :rolleyes: Cruising in six weeks and already have nice color just from sprays.

I've done sprays also at salons and find it is no better then buying a good can and spraying myself. The salon spray is $39.00 and up.

I'll give that one a try. :)

I just sprayed myself now I'm off to work. :rolleyes: Cruising in six weeks and already have nice color just from sprays.

I've done sprays also at salons and find it is no better then buying a good can and spraying myself. The salon spray is $39.00 and up.

LOL, I prefer to spray myself too, I dont want them doing it and with the machines I always miss somewhere.:rolleyes::)

I don't even use that high an SPF! :) Anything about 30 doesn't matter anyway.

That is absolutely correct.

Anything over 45spf is a waste of money. Spf refers to time of protection, not actual level. Each level of Spf protects for so many minutes, but as the Spf rises, the time shortens with each level. After 45, it drops dramatically due to natural sweating, etc.

Damn man. What are you expecting...a Nuclear explosion?

:eek:

I protect myself with SPFs that high, in addition to wearing hats, rash guards and board shorts over my bathing suit OR wearing a full-coverage SPF-fabric suit. If you're the kind of person that burns very easily and painfully like I do, you don't joke around. I don't tan ever; I don't even try because I know what will happen. It may not actually be a nuclear explosion, but I've had sunburns and sun poisoning that sure feel like it.

I usually always tan before a trip, I like a nice glow before I go away! However this time I didn't have the time nor money. Luckilly i don't burn easy, but I do enjoy a nice tan, as bad as it may be for skin.

I always tan for a few weeks before any warm weather vacation. I know it is not good for me but burning is way worse and my Dr agrees. For me (I'm not saying for everyone), I need that base tan or I will burn in the sun in a short amount of time even with sunscreen. I would rather get my base, which does protect me (not saying everyone) from burning. I still wear tons of sunscreen but without tanning in a booth I would not be able to enjoy being outside at all.

LOL, I prefer to spray myself too, I dont want them doing it and with the machines I always miss somewhere.:rolleyes::)

I would never try the machine I know I would mess up and walk out of there with streaks. :p

I think I'll go spray myself again before putting on my PJ's and hitting the pillow. :rolleyes::D

I tan before a cruise usually only every couple of years for a couple of weeks. it takes me only 5 min. per session to get color, and then on the cruise, I slather on the sunscreen30-50. I just want a bit of color, I don't lay out poolside or on the beach, weird huh.

I think I will probably go with the spray next time. I will be 60 this year and still have really nice skin, I would like to keep it that way.

Just be careful not to get too crazy out there. You only have one skin.

Kris

Nope, and I have really fair skin. I don't really tan on vacation, either. In fact, I avoid tanning and wear sunscreen to protect my skin.

I'm with you! I tanned a few times before cruising. Ultimately, I decided it wasn't really worth it. I still got burned!

It's amazing how sun tanning can be the most dangerous thing there is but it makes us "feel" healthy...

I think the whole tanning concept is so you can "look" like you went on vacation. Not sure why that is important to some.

I used to tan and then a freckle appeared on my lip after a trip home to Brazil and they thought it was cancerous..I had to have one inch of my lip cut out..yep..it was fine and the lip healed, but never again.

yes i do. and yes i know all the hazards of being in the tanning bed but i hate the sunless tanning lotions. i feel much prettier on my cruises if i have a nice tan instead of being white as a ghost and possibley getting burned too a crisp from being in the sun without the tan. and i actually like to lay in the bed and relax while i am tanning. it is just something i do for myself before the cruise.

I find the very idea of a tanning bed kinda scary so, I have never tried it. Don't like the tanner products people have been using the last few years either. Doesn't seem to matter how it is done or how much you pay, I can't get past the "oompa loompa" shade..... :D

I always get at least a little bit of a tan before I go (I live in Arizona so I do it outdoors rather than in a booth!) so that once I am on my cruise I can wear plenty of sunscreen during those long days in the sun. That way I just enhance the tan I already had while protecting my skin and reducing my chance of burning and losing my tan all together!

Archived